• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars V |OT| V is for Voyage! There's an ENG version!

Shouta

c1ZQG7r.png

Title: Super Robot Wars V
Release Date: Feburary 23rd, 2017 (JP, ASIA)
Platforms: Playstation 4, Playstation Vita,
Official Site: スーパーロボット大戦V
Pre-order Bonus: Too much! The most notable is the Grungust and Huckebein, SRW originals are making an appearance in the game as preorder bonuses.

Here we go again!

Titled V for Voyage, this is the latest Super Robot Wars game to featured licensed series. This is the 25th anniversary of the SRW series so this game includes a mix of series new and returning. It also includes a brand new Mazinger and original for the 2nd time in series history, the MazinEmperor G!

Sounds exciting but it's only in Japanese, isn't it?

Actually, no! This will be the first licensed SRW with an official English release. the Asia version of the game will have English text for people interested in playing the game! The quality of the translation probably isn't going to be the best but you will be able to play and enjoy the game even without knowing Japanese. Check out the Stage 1 video in the media section for what the English version of the game is like!

A lot of mecha games are getting English releases now too. Check out these recent titles if you're interested:

Gundam Breaker 3
Super Robot Wars OG Moon Dwellers
SD Gundam G Generation Genesis

There's a music edit mode!

You can insert your favorite tracks to play in the game. So if you prefer the vocal versions of the famous tracks and didn't buy the Premium Song edition from Japan, you can use your own!

Featured Series - I collapsed them into one umbrella but a lot of subseries are here like for Crossbone, etc

Media:
Super Robot Wars V PV1 (JP)
Super Robots Wars V PV2 (JP)
Super Robot Wars Demo Reel (English)
Super Robot Wars V Stage 1 (English)

Resources
Akurasu's SRW Wiki – Great resource that'll be updated with some translated game after it's released.
The Super Robot Wars Wiki – More in-depth wiki with information about the various titles and characters.
SRW Community Thread - For all your SRW needs.
The Gundam Official Thread – GUNDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

sfedai0

Banned
Im a bit behind on SRW since the PS1 and DC days....wasnt there one that was just released in english or is this the one Im thinking about?

Cheapest place to import? HK or Singapore.

The PS4 version is $59.99 at PlayAsia.

If you're talking about PSN, the HK store appears to be Chinese language only.

Im a bit behind on SRW since the PS1 and DC days....wasnt there one that was just released in english or is this the one Im thinking about?

This is it.

Damn, someone noticed! =P

I was kinda wondering if that was intentional. :)

When you ignore the multiple storylines, it's kinda crazy how few actual IPs are represented in this game:

Gundam
Daitarn
Full Metal Panic
Yamato 2199
Evangelion
Mazinger
Might Gaine
Nadesico
Cross Ange
Zambot
Getter Robo

Shouta

Does PS4 and PSVita have cross-save functionality?

I would assume so but I don't think it says so on the website.

Oh ok. What the difference between OG and this one?

OG is original banpresto characters only. It features all the protagonists of previous SRW games gathered into one universe and their own game. This one is a licensed SRW meaning it has mechs from various anime series like Gundam, Mazinger etc along with a small handful of original characters made for this game.

Hoooly crap this is the best surprise game release ever it's a freaking licensed SRW in English and it has Nadesico and Eva and Yamato and tons of Gundams and the good ol' super robot boys and it's basically my dream series list and how do I download this in English on my PS4 I've never done that before and also if you couldn't tell I am very excited about this yes

Shouta, maybe make mention in the OT of the other mecha/Gundam games that BN SEA has localized in the last year:
Gundam Breaker 3
SRW OG Moon Dwellers

Guessing we're gonna get lots of "what wait this in English? I had no idea!"

Hoooly crap this is the best surprise game release ever it's a freaking licensed SRW in English and it has Nadesico and Eva and Yamato and tons of Gundams and it's basically my dream series list and how do I download this in English on my PS4 I've never done that before and also if you couldn't tell I am very excited about this yes

Set up an account for the Singapore PlayStation store and get some Singapore PS store credit to buy the game. Or import the physical release from Play Asia:

http://www.play-asia.com/super-robot-wars-v-english-subs/13/70a98f

otakukidd

Even without macross in this one, there is still a zero percent chance this is coming over correct? Also story wise, how hard would it be for me to jump in at 5?

Shouta, maybe make mention in the OT of the other mecha/Gundam games that BN SEA has localized in the last year:
Gundam Breaker 3
SRW OG Moon Dwellers

Guessing we're gonna get lots of "what wait this in English? I had no idea!"

Set up an account for the Singapore PlayStation store and get some Singapore PS store credit to buy the game. Or import the physical release from Play Asia:

http://www.play-asia.com/super-robot-wars-v-english-subs/13/70a98f

I'm actually in China with a PS4 I bought in Japan, but it'll be easy enough to find a physical copy which I'd rather have. I'm just so excited that I wish I could play it right this minute.

Beckx

Yamato is my everything, so of COURSE I am getting this. I wonder if in addition to the Yamato itself, you get other ships from the series at some point. Like Berger & his carrier fleet since they were allies in the Space Ark film (and his voice actor is the coolest anyway).

Crossbone, for god's sake better have Kincaido and X1. They've only shown Tobia and X3 so far, right?

Is there any reason not to get PS Vita version this time around? Given the length of the games, Vita is the only way I ever finished the prior ones.

Shouta

Is this game blocked from shareplay like OG?

Considering Namco, there's a high chance it is but I just started it up so I don't know.

Even without macross in this one, there is still a zero percent chance this is coming over correct? Also story wise, how hard would it be for me to jump in at 5?

Pretty much 0% for a US release. You can get the English Asian version though! So you can play it in English. Also the V is for Voyage.

Saphirax

Is this game blocked from shareplay like OG?

We also learn that the game will prohibit screenshots both on PS4 and PS Vita, except some scenes. Video recording and broadcasting will be deactivated, while share play will be available only in limited parts of the game.

On the other hand, cross-save between the two platforms will be implemented, Remote Play will be supported, and even the pretty much discontinued PlayStation Vita TV will be supported.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/12...creenshot-comparison-released-details-shared/

Shouta

Remote play is supported? =o

But I don't want to update my Vita. ;_;

I just started the game and you can pick your protagonist. Nice.

otakukidd

Considering Namco, there's a high chance it is but I just started it up so I don't know.

Pretty much 0% for a US release. You can get the English Asian version though! So you can play it in English. Also the V is for Voyage.
Yeah I just wanted to double check. I am no doubt importing it. Also did not know it meant voyage.

Saphirax

Remote play is supported? =o

But I don't want to update my Vita. ;_;

I just started the game and you can pick your protagonist. Nice.

The only reason I ordered the ps4 version was because remote play is enabled :p. Would've gone with the vita version otherwise.

Pejo

So the only SRW game I've ever played was a fan translation of SRW OG Saga with the cowboy and robot ladies, and the Kaguya lady with the huge plot. Are all of these games like that? RPGs with lots of mechs and fanservice?

I really enjoyed the combo-based battle system and story from what I could make out.

I really dug it, but the translation was only partly finished and I had to use a guide to figure out a lot of items and menus. I'd be open to import this if it's more of the same.

PSqueak

Banned
My body is ready....my order is not!

Anybody can point me a good way to import this to mexico? O:

My local game shop sometimes imports games, but they seem to have no plans for a niche game like this.

I need this in my life!!

I have the feeling including Macross in this would've prevented it from being released in SEA, English localization or not.

Beckx

Answering my own questions: Kincaido is in as a pilot, so probably X1 is in. As for Yamato, the Yamato itself is the only ship from the show in, though, which is fine I guess.

All in all I like this pilot roster a lot. Mikazuki would've been the best, though.

Shouta

So the only SRW game I've ever played was a fan translation of SRW OG Saga with the cowboy and robot ladies, and the Kaguya lady with the huge plot. Are all of these games like that? RPGs with lots of mechs and fanservice?

I really enjoyed the combo-based battle system and story from what I could make out.

I really dug it, but the translation was only partly finished and I had to use a guide to figure out a lot of items and menus. I'd be open to import this if it's more of the same.

Endless Frontier is a bit different. That game is an RPG with combos and the like. The main Super Robot Wars games are actually strategy titles like Final Fantasy Tactics or Ogre Battle.

My body is ready....my order is not!

Anybody can point me a good way to import this to mexico? O:

My local game shop sometimes imports games, but they seem to have no plans for a niche game like this.

I need this in my life!!

Play-Asia would probably be the best bet unless you go for a digital download then going on the Singapore PSN to get it after you make an account and get a Singapore PSN card.

These are grid based strategy games with LOTS of screens of dialogue in between.

Kaibutsu

Shouta you freaked me out with the date being 2016 lol, I had to do a double take on what the year actually was. Like others I need to tackle my copy of Moon Dwellers too before I get this one.

Drayco21

When you ignore the multiple storylines, it's kinda crazy how few actual IPs are represented in this game:

Gundam
Daitarn
Full Metal Panic
Yamato 2199
Evangelion
Mazinger
Might Gaine
Nadesico
Cross Ange
Zambot
Getter Robo

This has been the one thing turning me off- would have liked to see more series from past SRW games I didn't get to play, like TTGL and The Big O.

Still super excited these are finally getting English releases.

Shouta

Shouta you freaked me out with the date being 2016 lol, I had to do a double take on what the year actually was. Like others I need to tackle my copy of Moon Dwellers too before I get this one.

Welp, I forgot it was 2017. lol

Pejo

Endless Frontier is a bit different. That game is an RPG with combos and the like. The main Super Robot Wars games are actually strategy titles like Final Fantasy Tactics or Ogre Battle.

Play-Asia would probably be the best bet unless you go for a digital download then going on the Singapore PSN to get it after you make an account and get a Singapore PSN card.

These are grid based strategy games with LOTS of screens of dialogue in between.

Thanks guys, I'm still fairly behind on my backlog, so if I do get this, it will be later. I appreciate the info though!

Hope the translation is decent. I'm not really expecting 8-4 quality or anything, but I hope they make sense at least compared to Moon Dwellers where everyone sounded like they were having a mild stroke every time they spoke

muteki

This has been the one thing turning me off- would have liked to see more series from past SRW games I didn't get to play, like TTGL and The Big O.

Still super excited these are finally getting English releases.

I guess if/when V-2 comes around they will add more of the old regulars back in. I am missing Godmars and Gunbuster but Yamato looks like fun. Always up for anything ZZ too.

Top Bottom