• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
reprint?

280.jpg

They can't reprint that because it talks about regeneration.

The past two weeks I have been playing standard FMM and I keep facing the same Temur ramp deck (chaining elder deep fiends until he hits an Ulamog) and I can't win a damn match. I've been playing different shards/wedges dynavolt control (Jeskai, Temur, Grixis.) besides just lazering my sb with crumble to dust I don't know what I should put in my Sb. Grixis with lost legacy?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was born a sucker so I pre-ordered a MM2017 box off of eBay. At the very least, it seemed quite a bit cheaper than I remember the 2015 boxes ordering at and I would be highly surprised if it actually came out a worse value than 2015.

Santiako

If I weren't a bit strapped for cash right now I'd totally buy a MM17 box. I will get one in a couple of months if they are still available.

Tunoku

So I ended up playing that Temur Energy deck at FNM, and while I enjoyed playing the deck, it was just not the right meta for it. My store looooooves control, and Temur Tower is built to beat Mardu and GB. Ended up going 2-2-1, played against three other Torrential Gearhulk decks, GB, and RW Humans. I'll probably go back to 4 Color Saheeli again, that deck is pretty solid against control. I'd play Zombies, but GB can be rough.

Anyway, gonna go play commander for the third time ever on Sunday, so I'm pretty excited for that. I'll post my list over the weekend and ask you guys for some tips. My mana base and direction are a mess as I haven't really kept a list updated and barely paid any money for commander cards in general.

I was born a sucker so I pre-ordered a MM2017 box off of eBay. At the very least, it seemed quite a bit cheaper than I remember the 2015 boxes ordering at and I would be highly surprised if it actually came out a worse value than 2015.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the people grabbing them at like $170 right now are gonna come out pretty well on the whole exchange.

cuc

IGN stream of the panels:
3:09 Windows into Worlds (the fiction of Magic)
5:21 Turning the Tables (D&D)

Takeaways from the Magic panel:

- In clear contrast to WotC's former stance on "not diluting the brand", they emphasized they are very confident about the appeal of the Magic fiction, and will expand the brand beyond the card game.

- They currently have plans stretching to 2020.

- When WotC needs a data scientist, whould they hire one and teach them Magic, or hire a Magic player and teach them data science? They probably will choose the latter.

Of course, the biggest takeaway is both WotC panels were attended by founders of Bonfire Studios, the company that has Rob Pardo (lead designer of Brood War, Warcraft III, World of Warcraft).

Egypt block might be the first time I buy a Magic card since Shadows over Innistrad. I'm a sucker for mythology. If it's a tricolor freeform limited format like Khans, whoo boy.

red13th

last year I didn't go to GP São Paulo which was like a minutes drive and they had John Avon. I was so pissed when I found out a few days later.
this year's GP in Brazil is in Porto Alegre, a 2h flight, so I can't attend. :(

ironmang

Feel bad for you guys lol. I take for granted living on the east coast US. GP NJ (x2!), GP DC, GP Pitt, GP Richmond, and GP Cleveland all are 2-5 hour drives away. Plus so many SCG events and random big tournaments like eternal extravaganzas and eternal weekend are within that range too.

Santiako

Feel bad for you guys lol. I take for granted living on the east coast US. GP NJ (x2!), GP DC, GP Pitt, GP Richmond, and GP Cleveland all are 2-5 hour drives away. Plus so many SCG events and random big tournaments like eternal extravaganzas and eternal weekend are within that range too.

I don't even have a store in my town. I haven't been able to play constructed since October.

My store is over capacity at less than 100 people, the other store here is much smaller. We used to play prereleases partially in the Pizza place next door. That's in a close to 2 million city.

Tunoku

I'm aware of my laziness but Vienna is almost in the center of europe (that's a couple hundred miles south near my hometown) yet all GPs but GP Warsaw are to the west of it.

Oh shit, you're from Vienna as well?! I was at SpielRaum yesterday.
I think we don't have GPs here because of gambling laws and the way prize payout would work out, but maybe I'm wrong there. It's definitely the reason why we don't have any in Germany.

Hah, small world. Was there all day yesterday for Commander Day.

Didn't know there were no german GPs, that's a huge market just cut off. No idea how gambling laws would impact it, MKM has been holding tournaments IIRC.

Tunoku

Yeah the last time one happened was in like 2012 and the winner got a giant ass TV that he had to ship to the other side of the world. It's unfortunate, but understandable.
That Pizzeria, are you talking about Il Sole?

Santiako

Hah, small world. Was there all day yesterday for Commander Day.

Didn't know there were no german GPs, that's a huge market just cut off.

Yeah, because of their gambling laws they can't charge more than 15€ for entrance and can't give cash prizes. From what I've read the last German GP they had to offer appliances like TVs as prizes.

Yeah the last time one happened was in like 2012 and the winner got a giant ass TV that he had to ship to the other side of the world. It's unfortunate, but understandable.
That Pizzeria, are you talking about Il Sole?
That's funny.

Yeah, that's the Pizzeria. Haven't been to a Magiccorner prerelease since Return to Ravnica. SpielRaum is just much closer.
Yeah, because of their gambling laws they can't charge more than 15€ for entrance and can't give cash prizes. From what I've read the last German GP they had to offer appliances like TVs as prizes.
You'd think Wizards would find a way to be classified as not gambling. Mosts esports have RNG involved but seem unaffected by this.
How does Hearthstone do it?

bigkrev

Kozelik's return?

God this Death's Shadow Jund (which I think we should change the name to Delirium Jund because it's more reflective of what the deck is and less confusing with Death's Shadow Zoo) seems perfect

tutufr

Neo Member
last year I didn't go to GP São Paulo which was like a minutes drive and they had John Avon. I was so pissed when I found out a few days later.
this year's GP in Brazil is in Porto Alegre, a 2h flight, so I can't attend. :(

This year is going to be a GP in São Paulo too.
I think it is going to be modern.

Oh man, Yu Pan managed to lose with no way of losing. There was no scenario he could have lost given perfect information and he had all information he needed. It's round 9 though, it happens.

Tunoku

That's funny.

Yeah, that's the Pizzeria. Haven't been to a Magiccorner prerelease since Return to Ravnica. SpielRaum is just much closer.

---

All the prereleases I've been to since I came back to the game with BFZ have been at Magic Corner and it was definitely crowded every time, but we never had to play at the Pizzeria. Both stores are about half an hour away from me, so it always just depends on the events. I prefer playing Standard at SpielRaum and Draft at Magic Corner.

Whenever I open the GP Utrecht stream there's Mardu Vehicles being played, really exciting stuff. I've only done like 5 Aether Revolt drafts so far, but that format hasn't really grabbed me either. I wish Amonkhet was coming out like tomorrow.

Prerelease at Il Sole goes way back. Return to Ravnica was already all in the store, I can only remember Planar Chaos and Time Spiral for certain. I remember Planar Chaos vividly because I made a 5c 60 card deck with Kaervek, Vhati Il-Dal and a bunch of other shit at the prerelease for some reason.

Though I noticed a sharp drop with Return to Ravnica. Gatecrash forward my playgroup already completely migrated to SpielRaum. We've been doing the midnight prereleases mostly and a THG every now and then.

Current Magiccorner would fit about 10 times into the old place. It used to be a huge store in the inner city but that was during Kamigawa.

Tunoku

Nice to see a Temur Dynavolt deck going 9-0. It's definitely powerful, I wish there were more creature decks in my meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom