• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

Love Resto and it's hard to be angry about a playable rare. Shame I own like 10 already haha

I don't have any since I wasn't around during INN block and I was loathe to buy a card I wasn't going to play immediately, especially one that was bound to see a reprint in the near future. Pretty glad I waited. Now I can happily pick up my playset. :)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They are untapped lands that can represent any two colours (3 in case of abzan), shuffle effects also come at a premium in highlander.

You should try it double sleeved, it gets even worse. Shuffle one pile, then shuffle another pile then awkwardly shuffle them together, split them repeat.
In Standard they're rarely more desireable from a game play perspective than anything else. The only reason to print them is for Modern, so it makes sense if they're in MM17 really.

Santiako

en_7srM4tmHyG.png

Fucking finally

en_ZJttl9Ht3G.png

n0K7fqEw4e_fetch.png

Enemy fetches too

Santiako

MM17 is designed with only the allied pairs in mind:

ABOUT THOSE SET THEMES
Modern Masters 2017 is a bit different from previous Masters sets. Modern Masters, Modern Masters 2015, and Eternal Masters were set up with ten color pairs, with archetypes (Black-Green Elves and White-Blue Artifacts, for example) built into those color pairs.

The biggest difference with Modern Masters 2017 is that it's a heavily multicolor set. Specifically, the set is built around the five ally color pairs, each with their own strategy:

White-Blue Blink—Use creatures with enter-the-battlefield abilities and ways to reuse these abilities
Blue-Black Instant Control—Use lots of instants and counterspells to control the board
Black-Red Unearth—An aggressive deck that uses creatures with unearth to keep attacking
Red-Green Go Wide—Make tokens and use cards that make them all bigger
Green-White Populate—Take advantage of the populate mechanic from Return to Ravnica

There are also three-color cards in the "shards" (green-white-blue, white-blue-black, blue-black-red, black-red-green, and red-green-white), as well as two-color enemy cards. When drafting the set, the focus will be on multicolor cards. To help you cast these multicolor cards, there is a healthy amount of mana fixing, including two sets of color-fixing lands:

red13th

How could Damnation be anything but rare? It's Wrath of God afterall.

With fetches and Damnation (plus LotV probably) I bet we'll have very little reprints of value. Tarmogoyf is definitely out for instance IMO.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So them giving us ZEN fetches is pretty much an admission that the rest of the set is garbage, right?

No?

With fetches and Damnation (plus LotV probably) I bet we'll have very little reprints of value. Tarmogoyf is definitely out for instance IMO.

Tarmogoyf isn't worth enough more than LOTV to be that big of a deal if they don't put it in.

Also, I already have 4 Tarmogoyf

OnPoint

'Goyf is almost certainly out I'd say (and I think I've said in the past).

Wouldn't mind seeing Cyclonic Rift and Chromatic Lantern.

Wasn't Rift just in one of the EDH decks recently?

red13th

Number crunch still has room for Cavern of Souls and... HORIZON fucking CANOPY.
EDIT: no room for Canopy, my dreams are shattered. :(

ironmang

I expected Damnation but not as a Rare HOT DAMN

That fetch reprint is not gonna do much to affect prices.

It certainly won't be like the $100 -> $12 we saw with Polluted Delta but this set is going to be mega opened now and I expect them all to half.

Bandini

Guess this means no Fetches in Amonkhet. Oh well, should be able to pick up the Tarns I need without hating myself at least.

Cyclonic Rift's price is due to it being an auto include in every EDH deck running blue.

Angry Grimace

Guess this means no Fetches in Amonkhet. Oh well, should be able to pick up the Tarns I need without hating myself at least.

They're not going to crater that much unless the set is printed a ton. It's not like Noble Hierarch went down and all of the fetches see as much or more play than Hierarch does.

y2dvd

Woot the rest of the fetches. Maybe I can finally make Jund or something.
*Looks up Goyf prices*
Nvm.

What's Damnation played in? Why is it so sought after?

ironmang

Woot the rest of the fetches. Maybe I can finally make Jund or something.
*Looks up Goyf prices*
Nvm.

What's Damnation played in? Why is it so sought after?

Only regular set release was a low printed one 10 years ago. Usually just a 1 in some modern sideboards but it's probably an edh favorite too. Black doesn't usually get sweepers so everybody who wants this effect without white is stuck getting Damnation.

bigkrev

They're not going to crater that much unless the set is printed a ton. It's not like Noble Hierarch went down and all of the fetches see as much or more play than Hierarch does.

Using MTGPrice data on Noble Hierarch, it was in the $70-80 range in the buildup to Modern Masters, and then in the Fall (September-December), the card was availible for $35, before it started to climb again, back to it's current $60ish price tag. My guess is that These will follow a similar pricing trend, where once Atlazan is out, these should follow a similar trend- with Tarn being a $80 card now, look for it at $35 down the line

Bandini

Hierarch also got a bump due to the rise of Bant Eldrazi. Abzan Coco is a thing now too.

On the other hand, Infect is falling out of favor a bit.

ironmang

MM17 boxes up on massdrop for $180 shipped. When I checked like 30 minutes ago there were only about 200 sold, now it's almost 700. Probably going to pull the deal soon since I doubt they'll be able to cover the demand.

Angry Grimace

Using MTGPrice data on Noble Hierarch, it was in the $70-80 range in the buildup to Modern Masters, and then in the Fall (September-December), the card was availible for $35, before it started to climb again, back to it's current $60ish price tag. My guess is that These will follow a similar pricing trend, where once Atlazan is out, these should follow a similar trend- with Tarn being a $80 card now, look for it at $35 down the line

Fun fact: I bought all of my Noble Hierarchs for $35. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom