• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This Mass Drop didn't list a cap but has apparently blown past their expectations in a matter of hours and is now closed after 1725 orders.

Buying the Massdrop was dumb anyways. It costs literally the same to buy it on TCGPlayer (because you have to pay shipping, and in certain places, tax) and its very difficult for the higher volume stores to blow through your order on TCGPlayer because TCGP will actually shut your account down.

Jhriad

Kind of regretting not getting in on that Mass Drop. I was hanging back figuring I could wait for spoilers since there wasn't a listed cap on the orders.

Buying the Massdrop was dumb anyways. It costs literally the same to buy it on TCGPlayer (because you have to pay shipping,

There's nothing that low left on TCG anymore.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kind of regretting not getting in on that Mass Drop. I was hanging back figuring I could wait for spoilers since there wasn't a listed cap on the orders.

You had to pay tax in a lot of places on the Massdrop and you had to pay shipping anyways so it was $200 (at least for me in CA), which is what it costs on TCGPlayer right now. Most places on TCGP are free shipping.

I got mine for $172 with free shipping on eBay a week ago with that eBay coupon that was circulating.

Santiako

HGpX56f.png

That would've been hilarious.

Jhriad

You had to pay tax in a lot of places on the Massdrop

Weren't any taxes when I checked but I live in Texas so it could be based on your state.

Shouldn't be too big of a deal really. I'd probably end up disappointed with what I open and I can just buy singles with the money I would've paid for the box.

Angry Grimace

Weren't any taxes when I checked but I live in Texas so it could be based on your state.

Shouldn't be too big of a deal really. I'd probably end up disappointed with what I open and I can just buy singles with the money I would've paid for the box.

I mean the savings were like ~$10 a box, so if you still want one its not really a big deal.

To be honest, I was a little skeptical when I got boxes so cheap to begin with - MM2015 started off closer to MSRP and never really stopped being well over $200 so I assumed the dealers had figured out the set and that it was disappointing or something.

Angry Grimace

Also willing to bet this set will let us refresh the Ashley Zealot x Snapcaster Mage fanfic because they'll both be in

Angry Grimace

Yeah, I've made the case in the past that it should be banned.

Why would Zealot be in? What a feel bad rare that would be

It's not like Masters sets don't have "feelbad" rares. Look at MM2015 - the entire goddamn set is mostly feelbad rares. People just don't remember opening Scute Mob because they threw that pack in the pile of crap.

We have Stoic Angel. Ash Zealot is a nice answer to Snap/Flashback.

I mean, there's gonna be other Flashback cards. There's no way the only flashback card in the set is Snapcaster Mage.

Wulfric

Wow, what a doozy. I didn't expect fetchlands at all in the set. I'm very curious to hear WotC's logic as to why they weren't in a standard set. The set's looking like a home run with LotV and Snapcaster.

OnPoint

We have Stoic Angel. Ash Zealot is a nice answer to Snap/Flashback.

I would say it's a good comparison from a value perspective. Stoic Angel feels better to me than Zealot as far as draft is concerned, though.
It's not like Masters sets don't have "feelbad" rares. Look at MM2015 - the entire goddamn set is mostly feelbad rares. People just don't remember opening Scute Mob because they threw that pack in the pile of crap.

I don't not remember. And I know there's a ton of feelbad rares in sets usually (especially MM2015, though I did particularly well in my box). But Zealot in particular has such low value. At least downshift it if you need to include it and help make mono-red an actual draft strategy.

Angry Grimace

I would say it's a good comparison from a value perspective. Stoic Angel feels better to me than Zealot as far as draft is concerned, though.

I don't not remember. And I know there's a ton of feelbad rares in sets usually (especially MM2015, though I did particularly well in my box). But Zealot in particular has such low value. At least downshift it if you need to include it and help make mono-red an actual draft strategy.

There's like a million rares that are worth nothing even in Masters sets. They're not going to downshift everything that is worthless because that implies all 53 rares are valuable, when we know for a fact they aren't since Stoic Angel is in the set.

OnPoint

There's like a million rares that are worth nothing even in Masters sets. They're not going to downshift everything that is worthless because that implies all 53 rares are valuable, when we know for a fact they aren't since Stoic Angel is in the set.

It's still day one! Lemme enjoy the high percentage of value in the rares while I can! I know you're going to end up being right, but I want to sit in the sun while it's still out!!

Angry Grimace

I'm a little surprised they've only spoiled like 7 cards on Day 1. It's a 4 day spoiler season.

Jhriad

I'm a little surprised they've only spoiled like 7 cards on Day 1. It's a 4 day spoiler season.

They spoiled the entire cycle of guildgates and shard tri-lands. It doesn't seem like much because they were spoiled together but those plus the fetches is a decent chunk of the set.

Angry Grimace

They spoiled the entire cycles of guildgates and shard tri-lands. It doesn't seem like much because they were spoiled together essentially but those plus the fetches is a decent chunk of the set.

That's 6 rares, 6 uncommons, 10 commons and 0 Mythics. That's really not that much, and certainly gives you no idea what the set plays like.

I knew there was a reason i liked Stoddard.

Yeah, again, even MM 2013 (which people were broadly happy with) had a bunch of < $1 garbagio rares.

I can also think of a ton of them that were dumber than Ash Zealot if only for the SnapZealot in-joke. I mean, I opened enough Surrakar Spellblades in MM15 to know!

y2dvd

I know the value for a box is looking good already, but after being burnt paying $200+ for a MM2 box and only opening $50 worth of stuff...never again!

Angry Grimace

I know the value for a box is looking good already, but after being burnt paying $200+ for a MM2 box and only opening $50 worth of stuff...never again!

I opened a box that had Emrakul and Tezzeret. That's it.

Jhriad

That's 6 rares, 6 uncommons, 10 commons and 0 Mythics. That's really not that much, and certainly gives you no idea what the set plays like.

The day still isn't over and we know 27 cards or slightly under 11% of the set. They'll probably fill out a lot of the C/U stuff on Friday, likely a significant percentage of the set, so they've got to pace the bigger impact drops throughout the rest of week. We'll get there. Let's just hope it doesn't fall off a cliff after 3-4 more big reveals.

Angry Grimace

You know I think Standard would be better if they could balance it so more than 2 or 3 decks were viable at any given time

hermit7

I am tempted to get a box, but want to get in on cheap enemy fetches, so I will probably do a sealed or draft event at my lgs and buy playsets/ finish getting ones I need.

Also gonna finish my play set of snaps assuming they are in.

Have we seen any mythical outside of knowing Domri?

Not sure what to expect there.

Jhriad

Griselbrand

I'm hoping the supply on this set is massive because I do need to pick up my sets of ZEN fetches but I'm not interested in paying $35-40 per Tarn or whatever.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I am tempted to get a box, but want to get in on cheap enemy fetches, so I will probably do a sealed or draft event at my lgs and buy playsets/ finish getting ones I need.

Also gonna finish my play set of snaps assuming they are in.

Griselbrand.

Edit: So late.

hermit7

Griselbrand

I'm hoping the supply on this set is massive because I do need to pick up my sets of ZEN fetches but I'm not interested in paying $35-40 per Tarn or whatever.

Ah yeah, I knew stoic angel was on a pack and had forgotten about griselbrand being on packs as well.

Yeah I would be fine with about 30/per non tarn and 35 or 40 for those. I need about 15 enemy fetches to finish out my playsets and would like probably 5 or so of each so I can use them in edh.

Tunoku

I'm already spending too much money on the Switch this month, my wallet is not gonna enjoy Modern Masters if the previews continue to impress. I want fetches and Snapcaster(if he gets a reprint)

Lucario

Aw, I love that card! Only 7 mana to draw 6 cards off a Ball Lightning!

My second favorite disappointing card of all time, next to Aurelia's Fury.

EDIT: Someone should do a top 10 list of incredibly disappointing/underperforming cards. They always end up being really neat in casual play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom