• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Jiraiza

And I agree it is, especially when you see how Pod 042 and 153 banter on and start to evolve and gain their own will. Could almost say considering how they did that since Route B, it's probably canon in the end since they intervened. But I guess I echo 9S, and many others, that in the end, everything was meaningless.

Dunno, if 9S, 2B, and A2 get to live normally for awhile, I think that's meaningful enough in my book.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Dunno, if 9S, 2B, and A2 get to live normally for awhile, I think that's meaningful enough in my book.

The possibility that hope exists for a better future somewhere no matter how bad things get is the message this game is trying to leave with the player. It may be too late for humankind and the rest of the androids, but the connections 2B, 9S and even A2 have together will remain, and the end of their suffering even for a short while is most important.

The fact that the game is leaving a glass half full approach to the story telling shows Yoko is trying a different message than his previous titles, although technically you could say ending D was similar for OG Nier for Kaine remembering Nier, although much more downbeat due to everything else that was meaninglessly sacrified

Hektor

Did we ever found out what Yorha actually means?

The next game should be a puzzle game starring Accord, solving timelines.

I was actually surprised Accord's story wasn't picked up in any form but a short mention.
Would've at least expected further teasing.

The fact that the game is leaving a glass half full approach to the story telling shows Yoko is trying a different message than his previous titles, although technically you could say ending D was similar for OG Nier for Kaine remembering Nier, although much more downbeat due to everything else that was meaninglessly sacrified

I love comparing the lyrics of Ashes of Dreams with the ones of Weight of the World. The tone shift is really noticeable.

allbrancooke

Neo Member
Did we ever found out what Yorha actually means?

I was actually surprised Accord's story wasn't picked up in any form but a short mention.
Would've at least expected further teasing.

Yeah, for a game about robots it's strange for her to be absent. Although she is more of a Draken-thing. Cute that she's around though.

jonjonaug

Why did A2 kill the mighty ^^ forest king?

Just for the lulz? Showing B2 + 9S how "badass" she is?
A2 mostly just spends her time being a loner and killing machines. She probably just happened to be in the neighborhood doing her usual thing.

On a different note, I was kinda surprised they didn't go more into the black box revelation, that Yorha androids and machines were basically the same beings at the core. Especially considering how often the android side kept trying to discredit the machines.

A2 mostly just spends her time being a loner and killing machines. She probably just happened to be in the neighborhood doing her usual thing.

Aye, A2's MO is pretty much to kill every single machine. Actually that does remind me, they hint to A2 being around earlier in Route B in the Abandoned Factory, but never really shed much light on it.

A2's whole unit was wiped out by machines during Pearl Harbor (14th machine war edition) and she's been seeking revenge ever since it seems.

Inuhanyou

I feel like Accord's story, despite being an android, is cut off from other androids in that her goal and mission is actually far more advanced in theory, from a potential timeline that actually COULD change things for the better if they had the proper strategy. Hopping alternate dimensions is far beyond the capability of the androids capability in Nier A, who are confined to this world and have no recourse but to continue on.

I love comparing the lyrics of Ashes of Dreams with the ones of Weight of the World. The tone shift is really noticeable.

Indeed.

I feel like Accord's story, despite being an android, is cut off from other androids in that her goal and mission is actually far more advanced in theory, from a potential timeline that actually COULD change things for the better if they had the proper strategy. Hopping alternate dimensions is far beyond the capability of the androids capability in Nier A, who are confined to this world and have no recourse but to continue on.

Indeed.

I wonder if Accord is in this timeline only to help it reach a certain conclusion and is helping the resistance towards that goal or if Accord is actually originally from this timeline and she doesn't have her timeline altering mission yet.

Inuhanyou

I wonder if Accord is in this timeline only to help it reach a certain conclusion and is helping the resistance towards that goal or if Accord is actually originally from this timeline and she doesn't have her timeline altering mission yet.

I'm not sure where the technology would come from though considering only Emil has magic at this point and all that's left is garbage. I mean, who would create it? There would have to be some sort of civilization of scientific research to create such a thing.

I feel like her just coming to this timeline for some purpose or the other makes more sense.

Also, just wanted to say that Pascal is best robo

Yeah he was, but yet for all his kindness he was repaid horribly. D:

That said, what did folks end up doing when Pascal asked to be formatted? I actually just walked out on him and Pascal was just left devastated.

That said, what did folks end up doing when Pascal asked to be formatted? I actually just walked out on him and Pascal was just left devastated.

ho i should try that! was going to do it but i thought it would be a joke ending! As for myself, I formated him

Anyway, i want pascal to be my uncle too!

LProtag

Well, looks like I rushed through the game and beat it in like, 20 hours. It just kept pulling me forward.

I used up so many people's save files during the final boss... and then I was selfish and didn't give up mine, because I feel like there's more for me to discover.

Anyway, this was my first Yoko Taro game, and I really loved it.

About Pascal:

That part was so badass but tragic. He tried to live his life as a pacifist and go against everything he was programmed to be, and then he was forced to abandon his morals... for nothing. That got me.

Well, looks like I rushed through the game and beat it in like, 20 hours. It just kept pulling me forward.

I used up so many people's save files during the final boss... and then I was selfish and didn't give up mine, because I feel like there's more for me to discover.

Anyway, this was my first Yoko Taro game, and I really loved it.

About Pascal:

That part was so badass but tragic. He tried to live his life as a pacifist and go against everything he was programmed to be, and then he was forced to abandon his morals... for nothing. That got me.

Wasn't even him, even in some of the NPC quests, like the animal keeper in the forest. He didn't blink an eye at killing a fellow machine to protect the animals. Taro sends a good message about what humanity or people value and protect.

Then finding out her love for him was overriding her programming the whole time...man...this game

well another thing i missed... again! I always think i have enough attention when i play but apparently it's not enough...

do you mean that she doesn't kill 9S because she loves him? But she wasn't aware that he found the truth yet, or am i mistaken?

Some explanation would be nice, i'm completely clueless, thanks! (will also redo some chapters later)

Inuhanyou

well another thing i missed... again! I always think i have enough attention when i play but apparently it's not enough...

do you mean that she doesn't kill 9S because she loves him? But she wasn't aware that he found the truth yet, or am i mistaken?

Some explanation would be nice, thanks!

Supposedly, the command activates the closer that 9S gets to the truth, so in ending A for example, we see 2B putting her hands around his neck but stops as tears roll down

Supposedly, the command activates the closer that 9S gets to the truth, so in ending A for example, we see 2B putting her hands around his neck but stops as tears roll down

she stops? didn't she kill him there (at least his body) ? I saw it this way : She strangle him until he dies, and then she cries... i need to rewatch this

and since he's dead he recover in the machine body

Hektor

Yea as i understood he dies but found his self surviving in one of the biomachinse due to some machinenetworkrelais stuff

Eliseo

So god crated humans,then god was no more, humans created androids then humans were no more, I like where this is going.

Inuhanyou

I'm blanking, where does it say that? A2 just says she hated having to keep killing him

yeah it sucks, they don't actually say so explicitly, but it was my own habit of putting romantic connection into it :p

Still a sad situation though

And yeah, i recall now, she does end up..crushing his throat.

The fact that you only find out later is the worst part

LProtag

I really like the way the ending was done.

We're presented with this cycle that apparently keeps happening over and over. Then, there's just one small change made, and it's implied that everything could just simply keep happening again and again, or maybe, it could finally change.

Still sad and melancholy, but also with a bit of hope. It was very tasteful, as it doesn't feel the need to show us what happens.

Also love how it extends the themes of androids and machines developing consciousness with the PODs developing the beginnings of consciousness and being the ones to finally give everyone a chance to break the cycle.

Jiraiza

9S offering to take 2B on a shopping date and her accepting was cute AF.

TAROOOOOOOOO!!!

:(

They can still go shopping after ending E. As to where, I have no idea. We'll never get to see 2B in normal clothing, though. That's the real shame here.

Just tried that... i excepted to find him in the village or dead in the factory, but he's nowhere to be found!

if you formate him, he will be at the village and sell uniques items, including a weapon

I don't understand shit about how they keep track of sidequests in the chapter select...

i'm missing three sidequest, but the only one i see are the two i didn't complete, the pascal old world stuff and the resistance scanner about ennemy unit!

can't find the third one... any idea? like chapter 12 with A2 it says 6 sidequest shared... i've got only 5, but there's NOTHING on the map

EDIT : It might be the one with the wise machine on top of building... i thought i completed it but it doesn't seem to be the case... i have their marker on the map, but there's no quest log at all! I hacked into them all and the last one killed himself, and still didn't get any quest log! Should i do something different?

Also, any hint on ennemy unit data? I think i fought them all and talked to all of them too, i also did the secret amusement park ennemy and emil boss fight, but i'm still missing some of them

Inuhanyou

Either "Birth of a Wish(become as gods)" or the aforementioned 210 theme song("Wretched Weaponry")...of course i do like "Emil Despair" and "Crumbling Lies" as well...in addition to "Copied City"...

fuck, there's too many great songs in this soundtrack, even the most inferior ones are good. I literally have not heard one i dislike

Nicole and Emi both did great work with their respective singles too

What's everyone's favorite song from the soundtrack so far?

I really like the music from the tower.

Mine's probably the amusment park boss! Really glad i didn't watch any trailer, would have been pissed to already have listened to the best track like 8 month before the game is out, haha!
I also really love the emi evans version of city ruins, and the one that plays in a lot of sidequest, where emi evans sing in a french-like language, can't remember the title right now

and... THIS CANNOT CONTINUE, THIS CANNOT CONTINUE, THIS CANNOT CONTINUE

What i freaking love is that almost all song is available in 8 bit too!

Talking about the remixes, the only one i found better than the original is Dark colossus!

Mine's probably the amusment park boss! Really glad i didn't watch any trailer, would have been pissed to already have listened to the best track like 8 month before the game is out, haha!
I also really love the emi evans version of city ruins, and the one that plays in a lot of sidequest, where emi evans sing in a french-like language, can't remember the title right now

and... THIS CANNOT CONTINUE, THIS CANNOT CONTINUE, THIS CANNOT CONTINUE

What i freaking love is that almost all song is available in 8 bit too!

Talking about the remixes, the only one i found better than the original is Dark colossus!

That's insane, there are some songs that I totally didn't expect to exist in 8-bit version and they all did

I've been listening to Weight of the World nonstop these past couple of days. Vague Hope (Cold Rain) and End of the World are also great.

I didn't like weight of the world at all at the beginning, but the medley of ending E changed my mind, especially thanks to the chorus

Did yoko taro played undertale? It reminded me so much of this :p

Inuhanyou

I didn't like weight of the world at all at the beginning, but the medley of ending E changed my mind, especially thanks to the chorus

Did yoko taro played undertale? It reminded me so much of this :p

Yeah he did. But he's been making games like UT for a while, so its no wonder they overlapped. I would not be suprised to hear Toby himself got inspiration from Yoko from Nier or Drakengard

Does anyone like "Glory to Mankind"? I've been listening to that and its just a regal song with an emotional core

Yeah he did. But he's been making games like UT for a while, so its no wonder they overlapped. I would not be suprised to hear Toby himself got inspiration from Yoko from Nier or Drakengard

Does anyone like "Glory to Mankind"? I've been listening to that and its just a regal song with an emotional core

that's awesome! now we need a game with yoko taro and toby at the soundtrack!

for glory of mankind, it's good, but it doesn't really fit in a nier game IMO! I don't like the beginning but it gets better at 1:20!

also... freaking EMIL SHOP! BBUDBUDU BWOUUUUH LALALA DAAAAAH, love the random verson

h4t3

What's everyone's favorite song from the soundtrack so far?

I really like the music from the tower.

NieR Automata Soundtrack - Emil ( Humming )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2NbB806bCs&index=20&list=PL3zPDv0N5LVP1Nlh076dMnXwFGQDHK0nk

°_° :p

€ English Version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5g3ic26zHo&index=16&list=PL3zPDv0N5LVP1Nlh076dMnXwFGQDHK0nk
Japanese Version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5DPEEKzFFg&index=15&list=PL3zPDv0N5LVP1Nlh076dMnXwFGQDHK0nk

best char from nier + nier automata :-]

Did some digging around, here's a transcript of the stage play prequel that Taro wrote himself that explains the events with A2 prior during Pearl Harbor. It was only touched upon in the ingame novel, but this has the full dialogue. . . Plus first appearance of "Terminal" red girls :eek:

http://nier2.com/yorha-stage-play/

And it seems based off the True Emil battle and this . . . A2 is Kaine?!

Inuhanyou

Thanks for linking so everyone could see! Somehow i knew that stage play would have something to do with Nier directly at some point

Asking this again:

Would someone answer me these questions:

1. There's an item which removes the skirt of 2B. Does this item also works on A2 so does she look like this: A2

2. In the debug room can you freely choose your character?

3. In the debug room can you place ANY enemies? Bosses aswell?

4. If you enable debug mode in the story, can you switch characters? For example playing 2B's story and playing as A2?

Could the city that suddenly appeared in Drakengard's world be the Ark that the Tower sent out?

Also, the twin girls dressed in red who speak with a deep male voice call to mind the Watchers. If the Watchers and the machines are related, then "locked into ten thousand years of meaningless slaughter and suffering" would be a pretty good reason to want to exterminate humanity, with the added benefit of stopping that future from ever occurring.

EDIT: Also! The material that the Tower is created out of looks an awful lot like the substance that the Grotesquerie Queen was made of.

Asking this again:

Would someone answer me these questions:

1. There's an item which removes the skirt of 2B. Does this item also works on A2 so does she look like this: A2
It's actually not an item. You just have to self-destruct/berserk with L3+R3.

EDIT 2: I think on my next day off, I'll see if I can pin down all of the parallels/references to Drakengard/Nier. There are so many.

just relistened to the whole soundtrack in the resistance camp!

Man this is so good! it really grow on you like the first nier! I still prefer the first one, but damn this is some high level soundtrack! can't wait that more are uploaded to youtube (every day there's something new), my only complain is that there's too much remix (and except for dark colossus, i don't think they improved the originals)

i Also pre-ordered the soundtrack on play-asia, three disc!

EDIT : Love "voice of no return", it's not on youtube yet, but it's a really good song!

now here's my dream concerning the soundtrack

WORLD TOUR NIER CONCERT

please square-enix, make that happens!

Nya

Yay, finally a spoiler thread!

Gosh, even though Automata didn't make me cry as much as I did with OG Nier, I still prefer this game's narrative and themes to OG Nier. I mean, I felt it was something unique and special, I absolutely LOVE how humans were this God figure that these androids looked up to and how 9S kept questioning and analyzing their behavior. The fact that it was all pointless really hit me hard, especially seeing how it started to effect 9S's psychological state and slowly dragging him to madness. I'm SO glad it ended on a hopeful note, I would've been devastated if they all died like this without a proper conclusion.

The ending E boss was amazing, I totally did not see that coming at all, got me a bit emotional too!

Top Bottom