• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I feel like unbanning Ancestral Vision and then not reprinting it would be a grievous oversight.

Santiako

With the value bonanza they spoiled today and yesterday I'm expecting no more than two value cards, probably Lily and either Hierarch or Cavern of Souls (but not both). Since Hierarch was in MM2 I'd say Cavern is more likely. After that, bulk rares galore.
Prove me wrong WotC!

I'm expecting at least Craterhoof Behemoth at mythic.

I feel like unbanning Ancestral Vision and then not reprinting it would be a grievous oversight.
They Banned Twin despite reprinting it in the Modern Masters set before the banning, with the article saying they thought it was an issue for a while.

It's not impossible that they missed it, but oh Boy the salt if they did.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, there's plenty of cards they could throw in that aren't feel-bads but don't actually increase pack value, e.g. Living End (if Living End were in a pack of MM17, you would lose money opening the pack).

Of course, the rumor is that this set has an enormous print run. Whether that turns out to be true or not, I don't know.

OnPoint

There are still plenty of blue rares to be spoilt. And two more days of targeted spoilers. And a Friday where they might have left it out of the first four days for the lulz

Angry Grimace

I'm going to be sad if they don't have one of Chalice of the Void or Engineered Explosives. Those cards are way too fucking expensive.

Yes please, give us Aether Vial. Card has no business being $30-$40 when it's used in 2.5 decks in Modern(D&T, Merfolk, and Slivers/Allies, but both are fringe) and 1 in Legacy.

I mean, there's plenty of cards they could throw in that aren't feel-bads but don't actually increase pack value, e.g. Living End (if Living End were in a pack of MM17, you would lose money opening the pack).

Of course, the rumor is that this set has an enormous print run. Whether that turns out to be true or not, I don't know.
I guess Wizards is learning from MM2015? The set sold out rapidly, but after that first wave I saw packs waiting to be sold for roughly a year.

They're probably aiming for a strong selling set with good "crack a pack" appeal, because no one wants to open Ant Queen again.

I mean, if they wanted to jam in random "not Likely to see a reprint elsewhere, not bad but not great", they could probably print 90% of the two drops from Hatebears. Arbiter/Qasali Pridemage/Thalia/Scavenging Ooze are effectively "neutral" cards to open (Not soul crushingly bad, but not lottery winning good like Goyf). They could also (maybe) justify reprinting Gaddock Teeg, who is like $30 right now and is constrained by Lorwyn's print run.

There's definitely a lot of "neutral" cards in Modern they could put in to pad out set value. Like Merfolk Lords, Elvish Archdruid, etc. None of these would be awful to open in just crack a pack.

Ashodin

We're just friendly shitposting. There's some healthy cynicism in the thread over WoTC's actions sometimes and it's plausible to believe WoTC would just randomly shitcan a format.

Whether or not it will actually HAPPEN is different though.

The one card they've said they designed with TL in mind is messed up (Leovold) so I can't even imagine if they did a full set for it lol
Leovold is the exact reason why you don't let Wizards design for anything purposefully that doesn't rotate. Like, with his textbox, I'm 90% certain you could shave off something in his stats and he'd still be playable.

Like, from Conspiracy 2 there's been what, 3+ new Legacy staples? Recruiter of the Guard/Sanctum Prelate for D&T, Leovold for Sultai, and other cards I'm probably missing.

Because of the Modern Killing Illuminati
This is the THIRD Modern Masters Set, released in 2017. Triangles have 3 sides, and 20/17 can refer to a person who has perfect Vision in one eye. Triangle+Perfect Vision Eyeball==Illuminati confirmed. You know what the Illuminati Symbolism is attached to? Pyramids, which we know exist in Amonkhet. Nicol Bolas, the ruler of Amonkhet, wants to regain his power, but we've been thinking too small. He's not going to destroy Amonkhet to get "UNLIMITED POWAH", he's going to Destroy Modern and Legacy in one fell swoop.

The end of Hour of Devastation will have Nicol Bolas Destroy Modern and Legacy, replacing them with Eternal(Reserved List is banned and Legacy/Modern are merged together) and Post-Modern(Starts with Origins), both of which will be defined by the new 8 Drop Bolas that has the +4 Ability "Target Player Loses the game", -8 "You Draw 10 Cards and get an emblem with "You have no maximum handsize", and Ultimate that reads "Each Opponent is forced to watch as you tear up their deck one at a time. An opponent may concede at any point during this abilities resolution" for -16. He starts at 20.

This is 90% Shitpostery, 10% serious

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Leovold is the exact reason why you don't let Wizards design for anything purposefully that doesn't rotate. Like, with his textbox, I'm 90% certain you could shave off something in his stats and he'd still be playable.

Like, from Conspiracy 2 there's been what, 3+ new Legacy staples? Recruiter of the Guard/Sanctum Prelate for D&T, Leovold for Sultai, and other cards I'm probably missing.

I know. Its awesome. Please print more DnT cards.

Santiako

JdeCX0V.jpg

The value train keeps going.

Angry Grimace

God I hope this feedback from us and them is getting to people who matter.

They're also talking about Sigrist's article where he said all the same stuff. Basically Winding Constrictor and Heart of Kiran are way too much value for 2 mana and a lot of this is Saheeli combo's fault because you can't really play anything else because its too hard to interact with the combo and those decks are the ones that have enough answers to beat the combo.

Wulfric

Finally, such a sweet card. So we have a mythic for every color except green? Azusa wouldn't be a bad choice if they want to retire Goyf for one year.

kirblar

I don't disagree with the reprint, I'm just saying the design doesn't really feel mythic. Always thought so.
It's because in RoE, she's completely oppressive in limited because she shut down literally everything other than Giant Eldrazi.

Her ability is Mythic enough to warrant maintaining the spot, along with the limited concerns, since she still has massive impact even in less fiddly formats.

red13th

bolas-our-lord-and-savior asked: Care to explain the snapcaster rarityshift?

Products like Masters always have some rarity shifting. Snapcaster Mage is an exciting card with a unique effect that easily could have been mythic rare in its original printing.

I often talk about how mythic rares need “the potential for awesomeness” and Snapcaster Mage definitely meets that criteria.

Finally, we need to spread exciting cards across all the rarities and part of the shift was making sure mythic rare had its share of splash. With the enemy fetch lands and Damnation, rare was already high in excitement.

replace with $$$ then it makes sense. ugh, Maro.

traveler

Not Wario
I felt like Snapcaster at mythic was guaranteed. I mean, yeah, it sucks, but why wouldn't they go for this? They upgraded Inquisition to a rare earlier this year; it's not like they're beyond putting chase cards at higher rarities.

red13th

I felt like Snapcaster at mythic was guaranteed. I mean, yeah, it sucks, but why wouldn't they go for this? They upgraded Inquisition to a rare earlier this year; it's not like they're beyond putting chase cards at higher rarities.

well, clearly they aren't, but it IS the first time they did to mythic when a card was printed in a set that had mythic rares, so the surprise is warranted IMO.

traveler

Not Wario
Tarmogoyf is a far more plain card and it received the upgrade. While I understand that this the first time this specific situation has happened, a straight up beatstick getting upgraded to mythic and a targeted, niche utility spell getting moved from uncommon to rare strike me as more offensive.

Angry Grimace

Huey and Cuneo basically said the best way to fix the format is to ban Winding Constrictor, Heart of Kiran and Felidar Guardian, but they don't think they'd do it.

red13th

Tarmogoyf is a far more plain card and it received the upgrade. While I understand that this the first time this specific situation has happened, a straight up beatstick getting upgraded to mythic and a targeted, niche utility spell getting moved from uncommon to rare strike me as more offensive.

it has "the potential for awesomeness", unless a 7/8 for 1G isn't awesome (it is to me), and "excitement" ($$$) in spades. I might be alone in this but I honestly don't mind Goyf as mythic.

Huey and Cuneo basically said the best way to fix the format is to ban Winding Constrictor, Heart of Kiran and Felidar Guardian, but they don't think they'd do it.

Not saying that I couldn't be convinced by evidence, but I'm definitely not convinced yet that dumping the 2-drops is necessary upfront. They 100% need to toss the cat tho.

traveler

Not Wario
That's fair. I think jumping through hoops to get a high pt vanilla creature on the cheap is rare worthy, but I can see how some might value it at mythic. While Goyf is obviously a lot more effective at the job, I put them both in the same mental category as Sylvan Advocate and Scute Mob. Would you put Death's Shadow at mythic or rare?

Biding my time in standard till I can look forward to marveling out whatever the new, sweet incarnation of Bolas is. Enough of aggro walkers; it's time for some real deal control walkers. (Oath Chandra was pretty nice though)

Edit: Whoa, bauble is up to $30? Jesus, I thought this was like $19 a week ago or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom