• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not saying that I couldn't be convinced by evidence, but I'm definitely not convinced yet that dumping the 2-drops is necessary upfront. They 100% need to toss the cat tho.

To clarify, they said IF you were banning something you should ban all of them.

jph139

replace with $$$ then it makes sense. ugh, Maro.

It's funny when you realize that they can't really acknowledge that the cards have any monetary value, and he's using weird linguistic gymnastics to avoid mentioning it.

"We need to spread the excitement around!" Yup, sure, got it...

Not saying that I couldn't be convinced by evidence, but I'm definitely not convinced yet that dumping the 2-drops is necessary upfront. They 100% need to toss the cat tho.
Heart of Kiran I feel would be fine if they hadn't printed Gideon Ally of Zendikar. Every other Planeswalker at least makes losing a counter be a setback, but Gideon DGAF because he's able to Ult the turn he drops.

As much as a I hate to say it, one of the most persistent problems in Standard is Gideon. He won't ever be banned, but the fact that he's a never ending stream of Chump blockers/Vehicle Crewers/Heart of Kiran Activations, attached to an Anthem and a 5/5 that blanks all instant speed in the format.

Kirblar was right: You cam early rotate Gideon and "fix" the format easier then a mass ban.

red13th

It's funny when you realize that they can't really acknowledge that the cards have any monetary value, and he's using weird linguistic gymnastics to avoid mentioning it.

"We need to spread the excitement around!" Yup, sure, got it...

It's funny how much sense the statement makes if you replace the buzzwords!! with money.

"(...) we need to spread MONEY cards across all the rarities and part of the shift was making sure mythic rare had its share of MONEY. With the enemy fetch lands and Damnation, rare was already high in MONEY."

Making money is what the company exists afterall, nothing wrong there, but yeah, it sure is nice to be treated like we are THAT stupid not to notice what is going on. zzzzz

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Right, I'm not convinced that the metagame after you take out Copycat is going to need the other two removed to work.

They don't think removing Cat by itself does anything but make BG the best deck.

on a scale from "never ever" to "hm, maybe", what's the possibility of a doubling season reprint?

In a Standard-legal set, zero, but in something else, pretty decent. They already included it in MM 2013, I wouldn't be shocked if it even came back in this one given how much it's gone up in price, or certainly in some other supplemental set eventually.

They don't think removing Cat by itself does anything but make BG the best deck.

Does that check out to you? We've already established there's a ton of slightly slower stuff being held back by Copycat. Nothing that falls in that category has a good matchup against BG?

Angry Grimace

In a Standard-legal set, zero, but in something else, pretty decent. They already included it in MM 2013, I wouldn't be shocked if it even came back in this one given how much it's gone up in price, or certainly in some other supplemental set eventually.

Does that check out to you? We've already established there's a ton of slightly slower stuff being held back by Copycat. Nothing that falls in that category has a good matchup against BG?

I mean, I agree with that. The BG deck needs to overextend by default and gets hosted pretty badly by Fumigate.

on a scale from "never ever" to "hm, maybe", what's the possibility of a doubling season reprint?

I mean, it would be a random reprint, but I suppose its not out of the realm of possibility since it was in MM1.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Heart of Kiran I feel would be fine if they hadn't printed Gideon Ally of Zendikar. Every other Planeswalker at least makes losing a counter be a setback, but Gideon DGAF because he's able to Ult the turn he drops.

As much as a I hate to say it, one of the most persistent problems in Standard is Gideon. He won't ever be banned, but the fact that he's a never ending stream of Chump blockers/Vehicle Crewers/Heart of Kiran Activations, attached to an Anthem and a 5/5 that blanks all instant speed in the format.

Kirblar was right: You cam early rotate Gideon and "fix" the format easier then a mass ban.

This is gonna be a problem going forward with the Gatewatch isnt it. Wizards marketing wants to push these bland ass charisma blackholes so if any future versions of them are problems they will literally have to be JTMS level obvious to ban them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's funny how much sense the statement makes if you replace the buzzwords!! with money.

"(...) we need to spread MONEY cards across all the rarities and part of the shift was making sure mythic rare had its share of MONEY. With the enemy fetch lands and Damnation, rare was already high in MONEY."

Making money is what the company exists afterall, nothing wrong there, but yeah, it sure is nice to be treated like we are THAT stupid not to notice what is going on. zzzzz

Has nothing to do with people being stupid. It has to do with legal reprecussions WotC wants to avoid.

noquarter

Doubling Season has a pretty good chance of getting reprinted, since it works well with tokens and populate (though that would be enough to make it Mythic, if populate gets pushed hard)

Expect to get Parallel Lives though, just as a fuck you, there was too much excitement in the set.

Dependimg upon if/when we're getting a MM2019, I could see Doubling Season in that if it's enemy color/Wedge focused. Simic in RTR had it, Abzan had it, Heroic had similar effects, etc. Add that to Undying maybe and you'd get a decent Archetype or two

This is gonna be a problem going forward with the Gatewatch isnt it. Wizards marketing wants to push these bland ass charisma blackholes so if any future versions of them are problems they will literally have to be JTMS level obvious to ban them.
Liliana, The Last Hope killed off a standard archetype with one card(White Weenie died like dust in the wind, because Lili straight up kills the Critical mass of 1 Drops)

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is a forced card to play in any Deck that is White right now, because he's so stupid on a cursory glance alone.

Basically, of the Gatewatch, the only ones not to see a format defining card yet is Chandra, Nissa, and Ajani. Nissa Vital Force would be there if Modern wanted her, because turning a fetch into Draw 2 is all kinds of dumb.

You early Rotate Gideon and half of the vehicle problems get fixed, because then there's an actual cost to Crewing Heart of Kiran(Either 3 Power or Loyalty counter from Planeswalkers whose ults say "you win the game", meaning the Crew Cost is, Shocker, an actual Cost). Other vehicles get worse, because the number of cheap Crewers goes down.

abyssalspecter.jpg

Limited plant.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Liliana, The Last Hope killed off a standard archetype with one card(White Weenie died like dust in the wind, because Lili straight up kills the Critical mass of 1 Drops)

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is a forced card to play in any Deck that is White right now, because he's so stupid on a cursory glance alone.

Basically, of the Gatewatch, the only ones not to see a format defining card yet is Chandra, Nissa, and Ajani. Nissa Vital Force would be there if Modern wanted her, because turning a fetch into Draw 2 is all kinds of dumb.

You early Rotate Gideon and half of the vehicle problems get fixed, because then there's an actual cost to Crewing Heart of Kiran(Either 3 Power or Loyalty counter from Planeswalkers whose ults say "you win the game", meaning the Crew Cost is, Shocker, an actual Cost). Other vehicles get worse, because the number of cheap Crewers goes down.

I mean Ajani Vengeant and Nissa, Voice of Zendikar were format definers, they just werent busted and one works really well in a certain shell but isnt worth it outside of that.

red13th

abyssalspecter.jpg

Limited plant.

looks like 29 cards per colour, unless there are colourless cards to screw up numbers. maybe 28.
only five cards that could go before this, Abattoir Ghoul, Abhorrent Overlord, Absorb Vis, Abyssal Nocturnus and Abyssal Persecutor. (one is from Theros)

I mean Ajani Vengeant and Nissa, Voice of Zendikar were format definers, they just werent busted and one works really well in a certain shell but isnt worth it outside of that.
Right, but there's a big difference between Format Defining in Nissan's sense (where she's good, but I don't see her being required in green like Gideon/Liliana are for their respective colors right now) and Gideon/Lili are.

Ruinious Path being at Sorcery Speed is just so stupid for Standard.

bigkrev

Edit: Whoa, bauble is up to $30? Jesus, I thought this was like $19 a week ago or so?

It's a Coldsnap Uncommon (which makes it about as rare as a Kaladesh Mythic, supply-wise) that is a 4 of in what many people now think is the best deck in Modern, which takes advantage of the fact that the card is an ARTIFACT, not just a 0 mana draw spell. It's literally impossible to replace in the deck, and the deck really doesn't function without it.

abyssalspecter.jpg

Limited plant.

I didn't even realize this card was Modern Legal. I thought Hypnotic Specter was back by 8th edition, so where would this strictly worse card have even been printed?

ElyrionX

From reddit:

[MM3] Linvala, Keep of Silence (for those of you building Pod to beat those Twin players)

LMAO

:(. I want to play Pod.

It's a Coldsnap Uncommon (which makes it about as rare as a Kaladesh Mythic, supply-wise) that is a 4 of in what many people now think is the best deck in Modern, which takes advantage of the fact that the card is an ARTIFACT, not just a 0 mana draw spell. It's literally impossible to replace in the deck, and the deck really doesn't function without it.

I didn't even realize this card was Modern Legal. I thought Hypnotic Specter was back by 8th edition, so where would this strictly worse card have even been printed?

Image.ashx

Firemind

They printed Blazing Specter at uncommon in Vintage Masters I believe. Wish it was in the set but it's not even Modern legal lol

bigkrev

C5z7F-8WcAIW7Wa.jpg

They let Alexander Hayne spoil this one- I kind of like them letting Pros spoil cards that have a moment associated with them?

Rafy

Luis Scott-Vargas‏ @lsv
I get to unveil a pretty sweet Modern Masters preview tomorrow on @ChannelFireball (it's a card I've played with and against many times).

Damn you and your puns Luis!

I guess Liliana of The Veil confirmed?

traveler

Not Wario
Who's ready for this beauty to be spoiled tomorrow to go along with Stoic Angel? :D

Image.ashx

Can't think of any other land I'd rather see between Boros Guildgate and Crumbling Necropolis...

traveler

Not Wario
Favorite Pauper card of all time getting reprinted for its limited theme:

0016_MTGMM3_Main_EN_HRR.png

Also getting flying man o war:

0043_MTGMM3_Main_EN_HRR.png

WU is looking pretty good for limited.

Maledict

Seance is one of those cards I always look at, think 'that's not so bad' - and then realise the token doesn't have haste so basically can't do half of what you want it to do.

Such an odd, bad card.

El Topo

That guy holding the tray of fruits has the shittiest job. Also do mummies smell? I mean, those are bandaged corpses in the sun.

Daedardus

Really great cards all around from now on but I doubt that I'll buy a box, I'll just pick up what I need. Really dislike the Snapcaster art though, I'll just complete my playset with the Volkan Baga ones. But certainly going to pick up Damnation, a couple of fetches and Linvala.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom