• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is that the first rare that was in MM1 and not in MM2 that is in MM3? I don't feel like I've seen many of those, e.g. Engineered Explosives, Chalice, etc.

Wow, I'm really lucky it seems. I bought a Kaladesh Gift Box and got two Buy A Box Promo Boosters, and in one I got a Sigarda, Heron's Grace, foil Swamp and Ulamog, The Ceaseless Hunger, in the other I got a Grim Flayer, Syndicate Trafficker and a foil Flameblade Angel. I then said fuck it and bought an Aether Revolt booster and got a Fatal Push and Yahenni's Expertise.

Why the hell are some of these so expensive? I laughed my ass off when I saw the prices of Ulamog and Grim Flayer.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Wow, I'm really lucky it seems. I bought a Kaladesh Gift Box and got two Buy A Box Promo Boosters, and in one I got a Sigarda, Heron's Grace, foil Swamp and Ulamog, The Ceaseless Hunger, in the other I got a Grim Flayer, Syndicate Trafficker and a foil Flameblade Angel. I then said fuck it and bought an Aether Revolt booster and got a Fatal Push and Yahenni's Expertise.

Why the hell are some of these so expensive? I laughed my ass off when I saw the prices of Ulamog and Grim Flayer.

Supply and demand.

Daedardus

You should not take a look at older powerful cards that are unable to get a reprint. Many of those start at $200 and some can go above and beyond $1000 if they are in good condition.

A decent Modern deck nowadays costs anything between $700 and $2000, and that's only for 75 cards.

Crocodile

I can still get a box from my local store for like $220 but I know I won't draft the set with that box and I still know its in my best interest to just trade/buy singles. Still its tempting (unlike the last MM - barf).

You should not take a look at older powerful cards that are unable to get a reprint. Many of those start at $200 and some can go above and beyond $1000 if they are in good condition.

A decent Modern deck nowadays costs anything between $700 and $2000, and that's only for 75 cards.

I can understand about the older cards, but these are relatively recent sets. I recently started the game, so I'm still a bit out of the loop when it comes to these card prices. Still, I'm pleased. I got more worth than I paid for the box. That's enough for me.

Supply and demand.

I mean, I get that they're Mythics, so rarer, but still... Not that I'm complaining. Maybe I'll start complaining when I need some of the pricier cards. :)

Tunoku

With a draft being 35€, I can draft twice and feel OK about it even if I don't win a single pack. Haven't bought a booster box since Worldwake, and even that was split with my buddies(the mythic I got out of it was Novablast Worm >.>).

EDIT: Keep in mind that Wizards pushes the recent sets more to sell more product, so the demand for the rarer newer cards is very high and can therefore dramatically impact the price of cards while they're legal in Standard (format where you can only use the most recent sets)

Wulfric

Grim Flayer is used in a popular G/B deck in standard. I don't know if people use Ulamog in standard, but he's decently popular in casual and EDH.

Here's an old card to drive you bonkers, The Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale. This card is $1000 in decent condition.

Daedardus

I can understand about the older cards, but these are relatively recent sets. I recently started the game, so I'm still a bit out of the loop when it comes to these card prices. Still, I'm pleased. I got more worth than I paid for the box. That's enough for me.)

You also have to keep in mind 2/3rds of the rares in a recent booster are absolutely worthless. Hardly anyone who wants to buy them so they practically fetch no money. Usually it's only a couple of cards which keep the whole set up. If you'd open up infinite boxes yourself, you'd actually lose money on selling the cards.

ultron87

At least with the rares revealed so far, they've done a good job of a high percentage of them giving off the feeling of "this is a competent, constructed playable Magic card" even if the value isn't actually there.

I'm gonna laugh if they do another graveyard theme and therefore justify no graveyard hate.

I mean something about Amonkhet's theme contributes to that, although I think it's more likely that their angle was "let's wait for Amonkhet to hose SOI."

At least with the rares revealed so far, they've done a good job of a high percentage of them giving off the feeling of "this is a competent, constructed playable Magic card" even if the value isn't actually there.

Yeah there are a lot of these that don't pay for a $10 pack or anything but both are obviously playable cards and are (pre-release) worth enough that you don't feel like you completely wasted your cash opening the pack. We haven't seen a lot of Surrakar Spellblades or Long-Forgotten Goheis in this so far.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
You also have to keep in mind 2/3rds of the rares in a recent booster are absolutely worthless. Hardly anyone who wants to buy them so they practically fetch no money. Usually it's only a couple of cards which keep the whole set up. If you'd open up infinite boxes yourself, you'd actually lose money on selling the cards.

If you're really curious about card prices, you could read up on "Expected Value." Sets with a low number of playable/desirable rares an mythics (usually smaller sets, like Eldritch Moon and Aether Revolt, which have fewer cards and are drafted less) will see most of their value loaded up in those cards, rather than spread out more even throughout the set.

From MTG Goldfish:

What Is Expected Value?
While many of you are probably familiar with the concept of expected value, here's a brief refresher. Expected value tells us just how much value we can expect to open in a booster box. To calculate EV, we first determine the odds of opening a specific card (this is the "multiplier" you'll see throughout the article). Next, we calculate the value of each card. Then, we multiply the odds of opening a card by the card's value, which tells us how much value we expect that card to add to the box. Finally, after we do this for all of the cards in the set, we can simply add up the total and determine how much a box is actually worth.

Here's an article examining the Expected Value of the latest set: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-expected-value-of-aether-revolt

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Grim Flayer is used in a popular G/B deck in standard. I don't know if people use Ulamog in standard, but he's decently popular in casual and EDH.

Here's an old card to drive you bonkers, The Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale. This card is $1000 in decent condition.

The reason they're expensive is because they're multi-format cards. Grim Flayer and Ulamog both see reasonably high levels of play in Modern - Ulamog is a top end in Tron and Grim Flayer is played in Abzan and sometimes Jund.

I mean something about Amonkhet's theme contributes to that, although I think it's more likely that their angle was "let's wait for Amonkhet to hose SOI."

Yeah there are a lot of these that don't pay for a $10 pack or anything but both are obviously playable cards and are (pre-release) worth enough that you don't feel like you completely wasted your cash opening the pack. We haven't seen a lot of Surrakar Spellblades or Long-Forgotten Goheis in this so far.

They did a better job so far of spreading value through the rarities so far. The top 10 most valuable cards in MM2015 are 9 Mythics...and Noble Hierarch.

They did a better job so far of spreading value through the rarities so far. The top 10 most valuable cards in MM2015 are 9 Mythics...and Noble Hierarch.

Yeah, IoK and PtE definitely suggested that they learned some lessons on that front. (Still waiting to see Lightning Bolt/Serum Visions/etc. though.)

Yeah, this set looks to be nuts. Even Seance makes some sense, Because Seance makes Tokens that GQ can use to populate.

Modern frame, black border non-foil English Sleight of Hand would be lovely too. Foil prices are insane, and theyre the only way to get modern frame, black border English versions.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/9th-edition/sleight-of-hand

From $2 for a white border non foil to $40 for the black border foil.
Throw 7th edition Lord of Atlantis right into the mix. There's no way at all to have a modern bordered Lord of Atlantis right now in fish.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, IoK and PtE definitely suggested that they learned some lessons on that front. (Still waiting to see Lightning Bolt/Serum Visions/etc. though.)

Serum Visions is like $2.50 now because of Conspiracy 2.

Kitchen Finks, Spell Snare, Manamorphose, Bauble are all cards that are probably more needed reprints, but who knows if they got around to those.

Firemind

Why the fuck are flashback drafts only available in draft leagues now? Way to lose one of your customers who actually spent money on your digital products, Wizards.

Angry Grimace

Why the fuck are flashback drafts only available in draft leagues now? Way to lose one of your customers who actually spent money on your digital products, Wizards.

Because leagues make a lot more money than regular ones and trying to offer a million different queues loses them money also because you're splitting your base of players into multiple places. The big problem was getting stuff to fire.

Firemind

Because leagues make a lot more money than regular ones and trying to offer a million different queues loses them money also because you're splitting your base of players into multiple places. The big problem was getting stuff to fire.
Why would leagues make more money when the prize payout is piss poor? 8-4 drafts at least payed out 8 packs for the winner which is usually more than twice the entry fee. You can also split in the finals too for a little bit less than twice the entry fee should you choose. Good luck with that now that they pay out in play points instead.

Whatever. I'm not going to enter leagues because of stupid bombs ruining everything.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Except that swords to plowshares had that in the original art, which carried through further iterations, while path to exile has a clear intention in the art that doesn't.

The FNM version in particular does not convey any form of exile, while you can go into exile willingly there's nothing that represents anything being left behind for the person.

Guay's just belongs on another card, it's great of course. It just appears to be a burial at the sea to me.

Dont see what is inherently willing about it. Man could have easily been exiled with nothing but a pack and walking stick to his name.

Dont see what is inherently willing about it. Man could have easily been exiled with nothing but a pack and walking stick to his name.
It's a portal from what I can tell and I don't see anyone poking with a stick to walk the plank. To me that looks like a well equipped adventurer going out into the wild.

Picture for reference
path%20to%20exile.jpg
He doesn't even look back.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why does he need to look back? At least I can obviously see exiling happening, unlike the original where he just looks like he is being turned into a pile of feathers.

Kittygirl

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/yugioh/magic-ruler/malevolent-nuzzler

Years ago, a friend's pre-teen son gave me this card, (Malovelent Nuzzler) because it reminded him of me. I...was not insulted, even though his mother was mortified.

We (mother and I) eventually drifted apart. 8 months ago, his new bride came to me, and gushed about how happy she was to meet me, as he reminisced about me. I told her to tell her I still had the card.

He came to say "Hello", and was amazed I had kept the card all these years.

traveler

Not Wario
Maro's preview:

C53Le0eUsAAjNoX.png:large

Decent reprint with storm on the rise again, not terrible value, and works with the Unearth deck very well in limited.

Santiako

Fv0vTJt.jpg

Years ago, a friend's pre-teen son gave me this card, (Malovelent Nuzzler) because it reminded him of me. I...was not insulted, even though his mother was mortified.

We (mother and I) eventually drifted apart. 8 months ago, his new bride came to me, and gushed about how happy she was to meet me, as he reminisced about me. I told her to tell her I still had the card.

He came to say "Hello", and was amazed I had kept the card all these years.

Cute story, but that's a Yugioh card :p (also added a pic of the card you were talking about)

Anyone tried robots in EDH before? I'm interested in a unique built to Atraxa and thought she'd lend herself well to a +1/+1 counters matters Affimity deck, sort of in the vein of GB Affinity decks popping up in modern.

Reyhan + Silas Renn feels like it would be a good combo for that kind of deck.
Just want both of those in the 99. I want to jump atop the Atraxa train, first I thought Ad Nauseam or Storm but she doesn't really matter to those decks.

Already have a Silas Renn Akiri deck as well and Sultai does not give me access to Cathar's Crusade, or the Angel of Thune Spikeweaver combo. Though that might be deviating too much from robots.
You have no idea how bad I want modular EDH to be a thing
Well Reyhan is basically that.

noquarter

I still have a YuGiOh deck built from when I played. Pretty sure half of it is banned and the other half is outclassed and all common now. At the time was pretty good, even if most decks, including mine, were just goodstuff.dec

Sometimes i want to play YuGiOh again.

Serum Visions is like $2.50 now because of Conspiracy 2.

Oh right, durr. I'm old and didn't update my mental image of what's a good needs-reprinting common. Hope my friend who dug up twenty from an old closet last Christmas remembered to sell them!

Kitchen Finks, Spell Snare, Manamorphose, Bauble are all cards that are probably more needed reprints, but who knows if they got around to those.

It's funny to me how three of those would be fine to print at their standard rarities but Bauble would almost only make sense as a rare now.

Angry Grimace

Oh right, durr. I'm old and didn't update my mental image of what's a good needs-reprinting common. Hope my friend who dug up twenty from an old closet last Christmas remembered to sell them!

It's funny to me how three of those would be fine to print at their standard rarities but Bauble would almost only make sense as a rare now.
Bauble is an uncommon. It doesn't do anything.

traveler

Not Wario
Wonder if any deck will have dethroned Death's Aggro Jund by Vegas. Thinking of attending to play in both the legacy and modern gps, although the flashback drafts sound cool enough to maybe warrant missing a main event. Maybe I should get the baubles before the reveal finishes to confirm they aren't being reprinted. :/

Wonder if any deck will have dethroned Death's Aggro Jund by Vegas. Thinking of attending to play in both the legacy and modern gps, although the flashback drafts sound cool enough to maybe warrant missing a main event. Maybe I should get the baubles before the reveal finishes to confirm they aren't being reprinted. :/

Reanimator might. With Dredge being less prevalent+ all the tools Wizards gave them, it's stupid strong.

Deck is fucking obnoxious now. How does Turn 1 Emrakul, The Aeons Torn sound to you? You can have it thanks to SSG, Forbidden Orchid, and Kari Zev's Expertise stapled to Breaking//Entering.

I know that's a 6 card hand, but I had it happen, and the salt is real. What's worse is that they're now running Blue, which means Countermagic does shit all against them.

traveler

Not Wario
This set is great. I'm in for a box.

All I hope for personally is really Ancestral Visions, and all I think they really should be reprinting here that they haven't shown yet is Cavern of Souls. Would be great for the community if Goyf came around for a third time, Bauble, Finks and/or Hierarch made it in too.

As an aside, I hope we get a third, good piece of art for ooze someday. The other is just bad to me, and I can't unsee the penis in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom