• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

The first item on the Dock...et is screen protectors. If you're like me, you probably really don't like dealing with screen protectors. Traditionally, they're plastic and they're a pain in the ass to apply.

Screen Protectors

Unfortunately every single officially licensed screen protector I've seen is mode of cheap PET plastic, that to me isn't fit for the screen of my devices.

If you want an officially licensed product, you either get a simple one that comes with many cases. Or you get Hori Officially Licensed protector.

$9.99
51YBf5K5NOL._SL1000_.jpg
$19.99

The main differences? One is a thicker piece of plastic. Which makes it more resilient to scratches. Generally I recommend avoiding plastic screen protectors for a few reasons.

1. Application is nearly always a nightmare and almost always has bubbles of some kind that are a pain to work out.
2. It doesn't feel nearly as good as the actual screen. It's often softer or more "grippy" than intended. I bought a device with a premium screen, I want it to feel premium.
3. Plastics while oleophobic, don't hold up as well in the long term and oils tend to streak, smear and are harder to clean. They tend to discolor over time. Whether this is specifically from oils in your skin, sunlight/UV, degradation or a mix of all. They just get kind of nasty.

Best current alternatives? Basically, unvetted "tempered glass" protectors. As I cannot stand plastic protectors, I jumped on one of those unknown brand $9.99 screen protector packs. I ordered mine from amFilm on Amazon This is also where I need your guys help, if you've ordered a non licensed screen protector, let us know what you think. My belief is a lot of these tempered glass protectors are coming from the same supplier, and then just being bought and packaged through vendors, but I can't vouch for any of those I haven't tried.

I ordered amFilm and received on the third even though it was slated for the 10th. I imagine they are trying to bump up their Amazon reviews so they are the go to Switch protector. Seems to be working.

First question, are they actually glass? It felt a lot more flexible than my tempered glass protectors of the past and I was skeptical at the price. Many times these companies will try to pass off thicker plastic protectors as glass. So I tested it.

Yup they're glass.

Included items

Basically a nicer set for a screen protector, with most of what you need to make sure your screen is clean for application, wet wipe, dry wipe and microfiber cloth. Considering I played with my Switch the night before, it was nice. The application was a breeze, as most tempered glass screen protectors are, as they are one solid piece they usually settle on the screen and air is pushed out very easily. They don't tend to bubble so much as have small pockets, a benefit of the rigidity. Tempered glass protectors are the only times outside of things like Liquid armor I haven't been extremely annoyed by the process.

Speaking of process, application process is honestly as simple as it is laid out here.

After application

The tempered glass protector, at least for me checks out. It's as good as any other that I've used. And more importantly it feels good and offers better protection/longevity than plastic. Impressive that so many of these companies are selling them at $9.99 but, again I can only vouch for amFilm currently. I know several gaffers are planning to get Ozrly, so hopefully they leave impressions soon.

Well, now we have a better screen protector, so what else is there?

Carrying Cases

Carrying cases have been covered But any details people want to share about their chosen products as they use them, will be good!

The Dock conundrum...

As is being reported, Nintendo in their infinite wisdom decided they didn't need rubberized pads on the ridges that our consoles slide in and out on, and hold our console in place.

That's not too conducive to screen health. It's a very rugged plastic material that is certainly abrasive.

What can we do? Basically what Nintendo should have. Personally, I went looking for some foam or rubberized tape/pads to solve the issue. The only problem being, it's really tight, so we need some very thin padding.

I found some thin rubber pads for $3 at my local ACE hardware and went with that, at least as a temporary measure.

I measured the ridges within the console, and each is 1/2inch in width. I measured and cut each pad. They aren't all exactly the same size, but for our purposes that's fine.

Then applied

Nintendo actually did put a small rubberized plastic piece near the bottom, so we don't need an extra pad there.

Quickly it becomes clear, that there isn't room for more than a single side to have the pads.

So this is option one, it works, you have a pretty snug fit, and your screen is certainly protected.

Option two: Slightly less elegant, but a solution that fixes the problem with as little impact as possible. Additionally most people probably already have this item in their house. Electrical tape!

Given we want something that has a soft rubberized texture and also still allows the Switch to slide easily this is the best quick solution I can think of.

So those are the most pressing things in terms of protection I thought were necessary to cover. I'm not sure it really needed a whole thread. But I think people really need to be thinking about putting a screen protector on their Switches and I wanted to cover that and a simple solution to try and reduce the damage docks were causing.

Feel free to close the thread if deemed unecessary. But I'm hoping people will share their solutions and feedback so we can kind of suss out the best options right now. Thanks!

Reserved for good solutions and feedback/images.

JVCC Amazon Prime Shipping Felt Tape.

From the Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen thread

https://youtu.be/f5zU1KtBQB4

That's what the hinge stickers are for "Doh".

Ozrly protector application
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U3byIjQ5tQ

cip4AZI.jpg

I used a spare microfiber cloth (black would have been better) to which I stuck double sided tape to one side and cut to the required size. Easy ☺️

No shade to all y'all but I think I came up with the best solution.

Moleskin
51uoU9E6o5L._SY300_.jpg

Just cut into shape and apply. They're self adhesive.

Honestly feels like it's built into the system. The Switch glides beautifully into place. Honestly thinking about putting it on the back ridges too.

Obviously this situation should never have happened, but I'm super pleased with the result.

Madness

The dock design is so boneheaded. Since the first time I saw it, I had a feeling it would possibly scratch. So how did they not account for it. Great options though and pictures for others.

SexyFish

Banned
Doing God's work.

Getting all my protective shit ordered while waiting for Amazon to have more switch units for sale.

Effect

What about a bookcover sleeve?

I would actually imagine anything that covers the front of the dock but still lets the Switch slide in should work. It just has to be thin enough. I'm curious if a sheet of paper taped would work as well. You're just stopping the possible contact upon pulling the system in and out.

Outside of that one just has to be careful about removing and putting the system back. Even though it's designed to go in and out of the dock I doubt it's designed for one to do so fast so recklessly.

Vitacat

Here is my velcro solution to avoid scratching any part of the front or back of the Switch when sliding into or out of the dock. Make sure you only use the soft side of the velcro only, not the scratchy side. ;-)

Works beautifully. My Switch now slides in/out super smoothly and quietly, and with no chance of scratches.

More photos here:
http://imgur.com/a/jd8uX

iLxIBrW.jpg

Here is my velcro solution to avoid scratching any part of the front or back of the Switch when sliding into or out of the dock. Make sure you only use the soft side of the velcro only, not the scratchy side. ;-)

Works beautifully. My Switch now slides in/out super smoothly and quietly, and with no chance of scratches.

More photos here:

iLxIBrW.jpg

They aren't too large? The foam was almost too thick on a single side for me.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

More photos here:

iLxIBrW.jpg
I appreciate your work on this but I still think the "soft" side of velcro seems like it might be a wee bit abrasive, no? Maybe not all velcro is created equal.

Effect

Out of electrical tape but will try to grab some tomorrow. Until then I'm going to use a piece of the packing that came with the Switch. I think the Dock itself came in this soft but firm packaging. It doesn't seem coarse enough that it could scratch the screen though. Will be looking to make sure.

Cut a piece off so it lines up on the inside and then folded on the outside and taped it down with a little packing tape. The Switch is able to slide in and out without any trouble. Temp solution though.

Edit: Decided against this. See later post.

Out of electrical tape but will try to grab some tomorrow. Until then I'm going to use a piece of the packing that came with the Switch. I think the Dock itself came in this soft but firm packaging.

Cut a piece off so it lines up on the inside and then folded on the outside and taped it down with a little packing tape. The Switch is able to slide in and out without any trouble. Temp solution though.

Every night I cover my TV back up with that material lol.

Got

Banned
Waiting on the glass one so looking forward to getting it. Looks like these are in high demand now so that would explain the delayed receipt of it from Amazon.

Glass screen protector is in the mail, but as I'd kind of like to use my Switch as advertised before the 8th and I don't have any rubber bits to add to the dock, I did this:

Also keeps the tablet from wiggling around in the dock, which is a nice mild bonus. No idea how Nintendo justified not including something to prevent this.

So I'm a bonehead who has trouble understanding the most basic things sometimes but what did you change or add with the electrical tape? I'm interested in that method since I'm not good at applying and cutting things like the rubber pads but I'm trying to see what you added with the electrical tape on the second set of pictures.

DonMigs85

why has nobody invented some sort of robot or machine that can perfectly align and apply screen protectors to any device? It can be inside a self-contained glass unit as well with a ventilator to keep dust out

So I'm a bonehead who has trouble understanding the most basic things sometimes but what did you change or add with the electrical tape? I'm interested in that method since I'm not good at applying and cutting things like the rubber pads but I'm trying to see what you added with the electrical tape on the second set of pictures.

I just cut a little slimmer than half inch width strips of electrical tape. Ran it along each ridge and cut off extra slack. I put two strips on each ridge for a little extra padding.

Da-Kid

All Nintendo literally needs to do is put 4 foam stickers on each enclosed side of the Switch Dock. Top and bottom. Literally wouldn't even budge their bank.

All Nintendo literally needs to do is put 4 foam stickers on each enclosed side of the Switch Dock. Top and bottom. Literally wouldn't even budge their bank.

They have small rubber stoppers on the bottom of the switch. For whatever freaking reason they didn't put more along the ridges I don't know. The foam sticker I tried to use made very snug. I tried to put some on the bottom too and it was too tight. Putting them on the other side would have been straight out. I'm not sure how thing the foam pads would have to be for it to be feasible. But they would have to be VERY thin.

Da-Kid

They have small rubber stoppers on the bottom of the switch. For whatever freaking reason they didn't put more along the ridges I don't know. The foam sticker I tried to use made very snug. I tried to put some on the bottom too and it was too tight. Putting them on the other side would have been straight out. I'm not sure how thing the foam pads would have to be for it to be feasible. But they would have to be VERY thin.
Using this ester foam with a microfiber top layer.

Opa-Pa

Wow thanks a lot for this, subbed. I don't own one yet, but after reading about the dock scratching the screen, etc, I got pretty worried.

I think I'll go with the tape solution only myself (sure it's not elegant, but eh, it's just a dock). I hate screen protectors, but never tried glass ones... I guess I'll keep that option in mind.

Bowl0l

If the screenshot is showing it bend like that. No it's not tempered glass lol.

I don't believe Hori makes a tempered glass screen protector anyway.
I didn't notice that detail in the packaging. Hopefully Switch forces Hori to switch to tampered glass.

Vitacat

They aren't too large? The foam was almost too thick on a single side for me.
Not even slightly. Perfect fit.
I appreciate your work on this but I still think the "soft" side of velcro seems like it might be a wee bit abrasive, no? Maybe not all velcro is created equal.
The soft side of real Velcro is incredibly soft. I've used it in the past for things like this, i.e. a metal iPad stand I have, and it's super soft and not abrasive at all. I think people are maybe thinking of the other side of Velcro, which would be abrasive.

I also use a good screen protector, and Im careful to use good technique to get perfect applications. My advice to anyone buying a touchscreen device, always buy a good quality screen protector and apply it immediately when you first remove the device from its packaging. Do it in a very clean space, use the shower technique if needed (I do), and consider wearing a dust mask.

Replacing an $8 screen protector is easier than replacing an expensive device, and much less traumatic.

Anyway, for me the dock issue is solved.

This is a great thread, but at the same time, a little sad that we need it at all. That being said, it's great to see people solving such an overlooked problem.

This is a great thread, but at the same time, a little sad that we need it at all.

Thanks and agreed, but hey, we can mope or we can do something about it. There's many things I can't change about the Switch I think were mistakes. This is one I can do something about though.

Falchion

More photos here:

iLxIBrW.jpg

That's a really good idea.

Ashler

Great thread, I'm going the same route as the OP by applying some rubber pads of the inside of the dock.

I think the best solution overall would be to find something to take apart and don't use the switch box at all.

I mean... it's kind of nice to have the dock to just pop it in and pull out the controllers. I don't want to just set it on a table if I have the dock. Sure I can do it like a tablet to my TV, but I have the dock so I want to use it.

SOLDIER

I had some leftover kinesio tape, will that serve as adequate protection?

All I have to do is cover up the four bumps inside the dock, right?

xUzZ2MW.jpg

Not interested in a screen protector, so hoping this is enough.

xUzZ2MW.jpg

It's certainly possible, but Kinesio tape is pretty rigid isn't it? Could be abrasive. You want something that's soft but will not cause too much friction.

Just out of curiosity have you ever used a tempered glass protector? I dreaded screen protectors until they became common. If you really don't want a physical screen protector liquid armor type solutions aren't bad. They're essentially just a liquid protection layer, but the difference is you can reapply later if it gets really scratched up since it's like a film and it will repair it. In the long run it's more expensive than a tempered glass protector. But it's an option.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KJHPL0C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

People who reviewed it really don't understand how it works lol. It doesn't work the same way a temepered glass or gorilla glass protector works. It's basically just a layer than can easily be refreshed and will protect the actual screen from scratches, including deep scratches.

https://youtu.be/sp_l7Q9rJ4Y

Vitacat

xUzZ2MW.jpg

I'm pretty sure kinesio tape can be abrasive. I would not use that

As for not using a screen protector, that's a mistake. But it's your device.

Crap wish I would have seen this sooner, since the HORI screen protectors I ordered have already shipped.

Are the Orzly screen protectors much better?

Top Bottom