• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

JayBabay

I have a tempered glass screen protector on my Shield Tablet. It's definitely the way to go in terms of replicating a smooth feel with your fingers that you get on other glass surfaces and as a bonus it goes on much easier than standard screen protectors.

Forkball

Good ideas in here. I might try the rubber pads. Pretty ridiculous that I have to do an arts and crafts project to ensure my system stays scratch-free.

Crap wish I would have seen this sooner, since the HORI screen protectors I ordered have already shipped.

Are the Orzly screen protectors much better?

I can't speak for the Orzly screen protector. I ordered before there was any word and gambled on the amFilm. It paid off. I imagine Orzly is probably the same. But I can't be sure. Their specifications are a little different.

Both are the same hardness but amFilm claims better clarity 99:94 but is .3mm vs Orzly's claimed .24mm (barely a difference in reality).

Ozrly has a longer warranty? But I can't imagine that really every coming into play.

I have a tempered glass screen protector on my Shield Tablet. It's definitely the way to go in terms of replicating a smooth feel with your fingers that you get on other glass surfaces and as a bonus it goes on much easier than standard screen protectors.

I have this one for my Shield.

61NQHPbYa3L._SL1000_.jpg

The rest of the tablet started peeling in some places which sucks, whatever coating they have is over plastic. But the screen is just as beautiful as ever lol. I won't go back to plastic protectors. That's why I hate hate hate curved screens on my devices.

I can't speak for the Orzly screen protector. I ordered before there was any word and gambled on the amFilm. It paid off. I imagine Orzly is probably the same. But I can't be sure. Their specifications are a little different.

Both are the same hardness but amFilm claims better clarity 99:94 but is .3mm vs Orzly's claimed .24mm (barely a difference in reality).

Ozrly has a longer warranty? But I can't imagine that really every coming into play.

I have this one for my Shield.

The rest of the tablet started peeling in some places which sucks, whatever coating they have is over plastic. But the screen is just as beautiful as ever lol. I won't go back to plastic protectors. That's why I hate hate hate curved screens on my devices.

Thanks for the response!

Do you have any recommendations for a carrying case, or anything to put the Switch in if I don't want to keep it docked when not in use?

Painguy

I heard the screen protectors are prone to warping and bubbling because of heat when docked. Is that only with the plastic ones?

Thanks for the response!

Do you have any recommendations for a carrying case, or anything to put the Switch in if I don't want to keep it docked when not in use?

I have a Special Edition BOTW coming in so that's what I'll be using. But honestly this was my backup.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY9JB2U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I heard the screen protectors are prone to warping and bubbling because of heat when docked. Is that only with the plastic ones?

Yea, I don't think you'd have any issues with glass. Tempered glass is typically heat resistant. Unless the Switch is really getting hot which I imagine would cause much bigger issues, than you'd be fine.

Any opinions on the Ozrly tempered glass protector?

I haven't received word from anyone yet on it. I know a couple people who ordered it and are currently waiting.

Is Ozrly an established company or something? There seems to be a lot of Gaffers that seem partial to it.

As is being reported, Nintendo in their infinite wisdom decided they didn't need rubberized pads on the ridges that our consoles slide in and out on, and hold our console in place.

That's not too conducive to screen health. It's a very rugged plastic material that is certainly abrasive.

What can we do? Basically what Nintendo should have. Personally, I went looking for some foam or rubberized tape/pads to solve the issue. The only problem being, it's really tight, so we need some very thin padding.

I found some thin rubber pads for $3 at my local ACE hardware and went with that, at least as a temporary measure.

I measured the ridges within the console, and each is 1/2inch in width. I measured and cut each pad. They aren't all exactly the same size, but for our purposes that's fine.

Then applied

Nintendo actually did put a small rubberized plastic piece near the bottom, so we don't need an extra pad there.

I have no idea about this stuff. Something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DQHF5YO/

Futaba

Looks like someone did that in the other thread.

The plastic itself is still bound to scratch your device if you don't cover it though. I just wouldn't trust it unless it were on the ridges themselves.

As i updated with, it holds it away from the plastic pretty far:
7cvvgOX.jpg

Would definitely still use a screen protector / apply some super thin felt tape though.

I have no idea about this stuff. Something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DQHF5YO/

Yea I mean that texture would work great, as far as the thickness though I don't know. It has to be really thing. That's why I ended up going with the electrical tape solution.

Looks like it wouldn't protect the front of the Switch tablet while docked. I found this image on Reddit:

a60e705b-eb00-4dff-9c94-33a1d1633860.jpg

Boo, if it's anything like my shield one though I want it. Especially if it can double as a stand.

N1nJar

Thanks OP! Just dug out the electrical tape and did the front and back plastic bumps so the back won't get all scuffed either.

I've also got an amFilm protector on order from Amazon due Wednesday. Will be quite careful until that arrives!

I just placed an order for a Superguardz tempered glass protector. Hopefully it's good. On my phones I've used a brand called Yootech that is pretty awesome.

NEO0MJ

My major problem is actually making sure the screen protector is perfectly aligned. I have unsteady hands

I once brought a screen protector for my phone that included a case that was meant to be used not to protect the phone but rather help you align the screen protector when applying it and it worked perfectly. More screen protectors need to come with it.

I bought that screen protector you advised after I found out the dock scratches the screen and before you made the tread.

Sold out in UK expecting it from Amazon on 10th. Sigh.

It's a huge over sight from Nintendo they should have included them with the console at least.

The Am tempered glass I might add down to £8 from 20 on Amazon and just got email saying it's coming Monday which is excellent.

My major problem is actually making sure the screen protector is perfectly aligned. I have unsteady hands

Watch the video in the second post. Those tabs are actually really helpful. The amFilm one comes with the tabs for that, I'm unsure of other brands though, you'll have to check the package.

I once brought a screen protector for my phone that included a case that was meant to be used not to protect the phone but rather help you align the screen protector when applying it and it worked perfectly. More screen protectors need to come with it.

Yea they are nice, but the molding makes it more expensive... sometimes considerably.

I bought that screen protector you advised after I found out the dock scratches the screen and before you made the tread.

Sold out in UK expecting it from Amazon on 10th. Sigh.

It's a huge over sight from Nintendo they should have included them with the console at least.

That's why I wanted to get this up ASAP. Not because many others were not recommending stuff like this already. But because it was so easy to overlook it. The Switch threads move quickly.

GeNoMe

Hey you guys, I ordered the following screenprotector since it's the only one available in my region. Am I set with this?
Link

*edit* I appreciate your help OP! Thanks for keeping us informed.

Hey you guys, I ordered the following screenprotector since it's the only one available in my region. Am I set with this?
Link

Hopefully it has cutouts for the speakers and such, but as I said earlier. I imagine a lot of these vendors are getting their product from the same supplier. Only time will tell though.

Sincerely, thanks OP for the recommendations and will be definitely heeding your advice! :D

Thanks OP! Just dug out the electrical tape and did the front and back plastic bumps so the back won't get all scuffed either.

I've also got an amFilm protector on order from Amazon due Wednesday. Will be quite careful until that arrives!

No problem!

GeNoMe

Hopefully it has cutouts for the speakers and such, but as I said earlier. I imagine a lot of these vendors are getting their product from the same supplier. Only time will tell though.
Yeah I was wondering about that. I'll report back when it gets delivered on Monday.

oti

Banned
So if I put on the screen protector that comes with the official case I should be good? Don't mind scratches on the protector itself.

Pardon my ignorance, the dock charges the console?
If so, would adding any sort of foam, tape etc interfere with the cooling ventilation whilst charging?

So if I put on the screen protector that comes with the official case I should be good? Don't mind scratches on the protector itself.

Yea you'll be ok, it's just a plastic protector though. Put it on in the meantime, but I'd still recommend looking into a Tempered glass protector, you're going to have the Switch for a long while hopefully, I think the $10 is worth the increased feel, protection and clarity it gives you.

Pardon my ignorance, the dock charges the console?
If so, would adding any sort of foam, tape etc interfere with the cooling ventilation whilst charging?

The vents for the switch are actually on top of the device, you'd have to pretty much enclose the dock with foam for it to be an issue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the scratching a byproduct of a plastic screen? If you put a tempered screen on there would that resist scratching because it's much harder than plastic, and therefore you wouldn't need to worry about modding the dock? Plus of course if it does scratch, then you can replace the protector.

All the ports are in the back of the dock, right? Wonder if someone is brace enough to hack off the front of the dock

So the amFilm is pretty decent? I don't know how much I'll be taking it in and out of the dock but with the scratching issue I'd rather not take the chance. I have some microfiber clothes in there on the front to cover the screen so hopefully that'll keep it until I can get one. Also, I imagine they're easy to put on? I had plastic screen protectors and fucked those up like nobody's business.

PSOreo

I think it's really awesome what you guys are doing in terms of coming up with solutions and fixes etc. However this is ridiculous that you even have to consider doing all this DIY stuff just so your console doesn't become damaged using it as it was intended! The whole premise of the console is switching the controllers out and docking the system; both of which apparently lead to scuffs, marks and scratches.

MTC100

Banned
Protip: even if you use some kind of foam to protect the switch main system from the dock, you should still use a glass protector for the screen! A little bit of dust can be enough to add friction when sliding the system in and then you will end up having small scratches on the surface of the screen.

That's what happens with normal plasic-LCD Screens. If you have a cheapo or older smart phone you also know that, because they are often only protected by a plastic cover over the LCD and they do get scratches even from a little bit of dust and you using a microfiber cloth to clean them.

Why Nintendo didn't invest in a 9H glass for the switch is beyond me, you get 2 glass protectors for 10 Bucks, but I guess 3 Bucks(in mass production) on 100 million consoles means 300 million Dollars you're "earning".

Schnozberry

So the amFilm is pretty decent? I don't know how much I'll be taking it in and out of the dock but with the scratching issue I'd rather not take the chance. I have some microfiber clothes in there on the front to cover the screen so hopefully that'll keep it until I can get one. Also, I imagine they're easy to put on? I had plastic screen protectors and fucked those up like nobody's business.

Yep. Amfilm cutouts lined up perfectly and I've been taking it in and out of the dock without any visible scuffs or scratches on the glass. Seems pretty tough.

Yep. Amfilm cutouts lined up perfectly and I've been taking it in and out of the dock without any visible scuffs or scratches on the glass. Seems pretty tough.

Awesome just ordered it, saw it came with two so even if I mess it up the first time I'll have a second shot. Though I did see it's apparently easier than plastic to put on which would be perfect.

DonMigs85

Yea you'll be ok, it's just a plastic protector though. Put it on in the meantime, but I'd still recommend looking into a Tempered glass protector, you're going to have the Switch for a long while hopefully, I think the $10 is worth the increased feel, protection and clarity it gives you.
I give it 3 years tops before a New Nintendo Switch comes out. :p

Yea, it's as good as the others I've had in the past. Glass screen protectors definitely are much more resistant to scratching though. They're really easy to put on, watch the video in the second post. It's like that every time I've done it.

I give it 3 years tops before a New Nintendo Switch comes out. :p

;)

DonMigs85

Yea, it's as good as the others I've had in the past. Glass screen protectors definitely are much more resistant to scratching though. They're really easy to put on, watch the video in the second post. It's like that every time I've done it.

;)

Since they're also thin and slightly flexible, I imagine they won't crack from a drop unless it's a direct hit right?

Since they're also thin and slightly flexible, I imagine they won't crack from a drop unless it's a direct hit right?

It takes a pretty strong direct impact strike or heavy fall to shatter one, but it can happen. The nice thing is it does a significantly better job of stopping screen shatters than plastic does. One of the reasons for that though is actually because they are thicker and significantly harder than the plastic protectors and absorb the impact better.

Plasmid

Gonna be getting that tempered glass kit. I have the HORI screen kit (9.99) and it's not terrible but it's not that great. I have the glass kit on a phone and it's so nice.

So the consensus is we need a buffer / pad for the dock? Where should we place it? Top, bottom? What kind of material?

Top Bottom