• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

boxartrtfinala1wrjyp.png

This Review Thread is best celebrated while listening to 'The Weight of the World' by Keiichi Okabe. (YT) Click Here for the NieR: Automata |OT|!

CLICK HERE FOR THE NIER: AUTOMATA ACCOLADES TRAILER

METACRITIC: 88 (86 Critics)

OPENCRITIC: 89 (91 Critics, 13 Contributors)

RPG Site: 10/10

RPG Site said:
The combat and the RPG systems are fun and interesting, but what will likely stick with you from Automata is its thematic strength. You might be pulling off bad-ass combos in slick, speedy combat, but the game can also give you pause to muse about the existential philosophies it posits and questions - that's a special thing indeed. Backed by an excellent battle system thanks to Platinum, Automata is Yoko Taro's magnum opus - and it's one of the best games I've ever played.

Telegraph: 5/5

Telegraph said:
The action is superb, the story is one of gaming's best, the atmosphere and tone are easy to get lost in, and the soundtrack is a marvel, with the end game credits song being one of the best in existence. It's been a ridiculously packed year for quality games, and with certain bigger open world games out there right now it might be easy to skip NieR: Automata, but you owe it to yourself to play this. An incredible sequel to one of gaming's strangest, most flawed masterpieces.

Twinfinite: 5/5

Twinfinite said:
There's nothing like it. As was the case with its predecessor, NieR: Automata is a game that will be talked about for years to come. Hopefully in less hushed tones this time around.

CG Site: 10/10

CG Magazine said:
NieR: Automata is the rare gaming experience in which narrative, aesthetics, and gameplay all complement each other to form a perfect storm of master class game design. A truly exemplary example of what video games are capable of as an art form, and a new personal favorite.

SilentRob (Reveal Reaction Guy): 100/100 (German w/ Subs)

We don't give scores but if we would, it would be a perfect score... It's one of the best games I have ever played.

Digitally Downloaded: 5/5

Digitally Downloaded said:
Put simply, NieR: Automata is the greatest game ever made. It's not just that it is the deepest and most narratively potent game ever developed - and it is a truly deep narrative experience - but more than that, Yoko Taro has finally found perhaps the developer on the planet capable of doing his visionary work justice. This game is a true, genuine work of art, and anyone who wants to prove that gaming does possess an equivalent to the greatest novels, operas, theatre plays, or paintings, now has that very game to point to. Yoko Taro is gaming's Shakespeare, Da Vinci, and Welles, all rolled into one.

The Jimquisition: 9/10

The Jimquisition said:
Nier itself is important. It is, as far as I'm concerned, historically significant in terms of its design and the way in which it uses the framework of a videogame to tell an evolving story. If I had my way, every budding game developer would play this game to the point of acquiring endings A, B, C, D, and E before acquiescing to its final and alarmingly direct request.

Few games are able to showcase the power of the medium like Nier: Automata.

If history forgets this game, then fuck history.

Easy Allies: 4.5/5

Easy Allies said:
True authorship is a rare thing to find in games, yet it's very present in Nier: Automata. Like Yoko Taro's past work, Automata challenges gaming norms through narrative structure, subjects discussed, and even how the nature of games can be used to convey ideas that other mediums can't. In the past, appreciating these things meant accepting middling or even poor technical and mechanical aspects. With Nier: Automata, far fewer excuses are necessary. It's a bold, stylish, and intelligent game that leaves an indelible mark.

Playstation Universe: 9.5/10

PSU said:
Exceptional in every way. NeiR: Automata delivers on every cylinder, providing one of the best experiences this year. In every generation there is a game that leaves an impression on you and for me NieR: Automata is that game. To put it simply, NeiR: Automata is a magical experience.

God is a Geek: 9.0

God is a Geek said:
Hands down, one of the smartest action titles Platinum Games has ever put out, with a rousing score and some of the best narrative ideas I've seen in a videogame.

GamesRadar: 4.5/5

GamesRadar said:
While it's certainly not perfect, Nier: Automata is nonetheless a breath of fresh air that will challenge your thumbs as well as your thinking - a game with hydrocarbon heart and silicon soul that will stay with you long after you've set the controller down.

Hardcore Gamer: 4.5/5

Hardcore Gamer said:
NieR: Automata is an absolute masterpiece from beginning to end (or ends, to be a bit more accurate). Even for what was our most anticipated game of the year, I still didn't expect to be blown away that much, but this was an absolute thrill ride in every area, from just running through a gorgeous wrecked city with wild boars roaming around to surfing down sand dunes in a desert in a cool little touch to fighting off an army of twenty-some robots vomiting corrosive material with some of the finest combat in recent video game history (oh, not to mention the actual thrill ride at one point). It is an addictive, joyous, haunting beauty with a surreal mystery at the center of its captivating world to uncover, and like the best games of its kind, you'll find yourself diving back in for as much as you can.

GameSpot: 9/10

GameSpot said:
Thanks to Platinum Games' knack for riveting and gratifying combat, Automata is Yoko Taro's most exciting game to date. The combat mechanics click after hurdling a low learning curve, and the end result is a skillful dance where balletic dodges complement wushu-inspired aggression. Moreover, this multi-ending trip is generously peppered with surprises and revelations, as well as easter eggs that call back to the first game and the Drakengard series from which Nier spun off. It's a meaty, often exhilarating trek that showcases Platinum Games' and Yoko Taro's unique blend of genius.

Destructoid: 9/10

Destructoid said:
NieR: Automata is nearly as good of an RPG as it is an action game, which is a mighty tall order. It's tough to really strike that balance as many action-RPGs tend to favor one element over the other, but Platinum Games, with the help of Square Enix, has tapped into its innate ability to captivate us with combat while keeping the rest of the journey engaging.

Dualshockers: 9/10

Dualshockers said:
Ultimately, NieR: Automata isn't a perfect game, but I think no one will be surprised, considering that it's directed by a developer who has made of imperfection almost a flag, and who often managed to turn it into an endearing side among his fans.

Yet, it's a fantastic and well balanced mix between sleek PlatinumGames action and JRPG gameplay, resulting bigger than the sum of its parts. It brings forth an absolutely fascinating setting, and charming, likable and memorable characters that will both make you smile and tug at your heart strings.

The Outerhaven: 4.5/5

Outerhaven said:
After spending well over 20 hours in this post-apocalyptic cyber world, I still can not put NieR: Automata down. While the original was clearly a niche title that failed to make a massive impact, the sequel was designed to keep the original charm but appeal to a greater audience. Easily one of the better titles from Square Enix, thanks to the Platinum Games putting their foot into the fantastic combat system. The story is interesting, the music captivating and the world has its own charm and personality.

ACG: Buy

ACG said:
If NieR - for many - is a god-tier soundtrack, what happens when another comes in and so soundly trounces the original that you're left thinking 'Damn! Did I just think that other soundtrack was good or did someone come in and basically spider silva the entire music community, elevating the expectations far past what most people can actually perform?' There's underlying emotional response to almost every track and add to that some stellar mixing between diegetic and non-diegetic music during particular pointed scenes, and you have one of the best soundtracks easily, this generation.

RPGFan: 93/100

RPGFan said:
NieR: Automata is everything I could have wanted from a sequel to NieR, to the point that I almost feel spoiled here. It keeps the same off-the-wall plot and well-written characters from the original while discarding the clunky combat and movement for a system that has the sheen of any one of Platinum's greatest titles. It really is the best of both worlds. If you've been a fan of NieR since day one, but have been burnt by its clumsiness before, you're in for a fantastic treat. And if you're new to the craziness that is a Yoko Taro game, know that this is the absolute best time to jump in.

WCCFtech: 9.2/10

WCCFtech said:
You'll laugh; you'll cry; you might even contemplate whether androids are capable of feeling emotion at all or if they're merely going by what they were programmed to do. NieR: Automata rewards long-time fans of Yoko Taro's works with an experience that transcends any single genre. Although it might not be a perfect game, the sum of NieR: Automata's unique storytelling meshed with Platinum Games' style of action meld together into a title well deserving of being one of my personal Games of the Year, not for the story being told but rather how 2B's story was told.

Sirius Gaming: 9/10

Sirius said:
But despite these areas where the game might need some improvement on, this game is quite a huge success. It caught my attention from start to finish and it made me yearn for more when it ended. As what a famous quote said, ”All good things come to those who wait."

The Zombie Chimp: 95%

The Zombie Chimp said:
Nier Automata is something truly important. A unique and original piece of art, wrapped inside an incredible action rpg. Everyone involved should be truly commended for creating something special. Automata comes with the highest recommendation, for those looking for something completely original forward thinking.

PSNStores: 5/5

PSNStores said:
In the end, NieR Automata's story is profound, at times heartbreaking, and in other instances you'll spot tiny glimmers of hope. It's an expertly crafted story that's uniquely presented to toy with the way you perceive characters and the world surrounding them. It's a crazy ride from beginning to end and one that completely blew me away, in spite of my own absurdly high expectations.

Gameblog.fr: 9/10 (French)

Gameblog.fr said:
Nier Automata shines as a magnificent action game and a strong open world RPG with an amazing narrative. Charming, full of surprises, unique, deep, powerful - it is indeed an amazing entrance in the series that can please fans and newcomers.

IGN: 8.9/10

IGN said:
Nier: Automata is a crazy, beautiful, and highly entertaining journey full of nutty ideas and awesome gameplay. It may not include the most sensical story or compelling characters, but its frenzied combat -- coupled with beautiful visuals and a stunning soundtrack – make it too much fun to pass up.

EGM: 8.5/10

EGM said:
While Nier: Automata at times feels unpolished or under-developed, when taken as an entire experience, it's a fantastic journey of a group of androids struggling to live up to their purpose in life. Here, unconventional narrative design meets tightly-developed combat gameplay, and that turns out to be one heck of a combination.

Trusted Reviews: 4/5

Trusted Reviews said:
Despite some minor annoyances, NieR: Automata is brilliant. It strikes the balance between RPG and action game unlike anything else in the genre. It's a game you kind of have to meet halfway, with a story that gets more complex and interesting the more you prod at it. If you're willing to commit, though, you'll be rewarded.

Polygon: 8/10

Polygon said:
Nier: Automata is a game that's more than willing to make players feel small, both physically and conceptually. It wants to swallow them whole, and it succeeds. Nier demands patience with its antics — not to mention its definition of "ending" — but it's patience was rewarded.

Push Square: 8/10

Push Square said:
An oddity that grows in stature the more time that you spend with it, NieR: Automata is so much more than you think it is – and it's all the better for it. Some decent writing aside, its side-quests fall into genre pitfalls and its open world can be annoying to navigate. But if you're able to look beyond its shortcomings as a game then you'll be richly rewarded. And while we can't really elaborate on why that is, you're just going to have to trust us.

Game Informer: 7.75/10

Game Informer said:
Some parts of Nier: Automata genuinely thrilled and surprised me, but it is a constant exercise in sacrifice. Combat has improved compared to the original Nier, but it still isn't fully engaging. The progression system has cool ideas, but doesn't offer enough depth. The premise is fascinating, but it is dulled by repetition. Ultimately, tapping into the sad and unique story that flows under the surface of Nier: Automata makes these trade-offs worthwhile, but I'm disappointed by how deeply it's buried.

Japan @ the 2017 GOTY Awards

iPFOazd.png

If NieR - for many - is a god-tier soundtrack, what happens when another comes in and so soundly trounces the original that you're left thinking 'Damn! Did I just think that other soundtrack was good or did someone come in and basically spider silva the entire music community, elevating the expectations far past what most people can actually perform?' There's underlying emotional response to almost every track and add to that some stellar mixing between diegetic and non-diegetic music during particular pointed scenes, and you have one of the best soundtracks easily, this generation.

I refuse to believe this. The original soundtrack is incredible! How can this game soundly trounce that masterpiece? I'll find out soon enough, I suppose!

gogojira

Any idea why reviews are so slow coming in? There's only 6 up. I know the game isn't out yet, are outlets waiting until closer to time?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hope Metacritic stays that high.

It won't, but Yoko already asked people to take screenshots of the current Meta to preserve it how it is now, and they did so so i don't think he'll be too sad about it :p

I refuse to believe this. The original soundtrack is incredible! How can this game soundly trounce that masterpiece? I'll find out soon enough, I suppose!

Having listened to it on repeat since Japanese release, believe it!

AESplusF

Eagerly awaiting the 17th, I'm really happy to see the score has actually gone up despite the concern hopefully it sits there.

pezzie

It's very different in tone. To some, the original still reigns king. Some people, myself included, prefer the new one though.

sirronoh

What a time to be alive.

Got this pre-ordered but won't be able to get to it until after finishing Horizon and Resident Evil. Ever since early December with Final Fantasy 15 and Last Guardian, we've had a wild, wild ride, at least on PS4. I may get a Switch for Zelda but probably Holiday 2018 at the earliest.

gngf123

I think those were JP version only reviews? Even though it's in English...eh I dunno lol

Yes and no. The Japanese copy of the game is out, and with English text. Some websites were doing reviews with that copy instead of getting the embargoed western review copy.

pezzie

Yes and no. The Japanese copy of the game is out, and with English text. Some websites were doing reviews with that copy instead of getting the embargoed western review copy.

It's not just English text. Full English vocals are in Japanese and Asian copies of this game.

kennyamr

The song that comes with the Nier PS4 theme is amazing.

I want to buy that song and the rest of the OST asap.

Great scores so far. Can't wait.

2017, the year of dreams v2.0

AESplusF

A title change that distinguishes this thread from the old one would be nice, just so that everyone knows this one is the real deal.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

It does. I was also shocked but the music is straight god tier. There's more unique music than Nier and it's all straight up incredible

Edit: the fact they haven't released the full OST yet is killing me everyday. I need it

A title change that distinguishes this thread from the old one would be nice, just so that everyone knows this one is the real deal.

The old one should be closed if it hasn't been already. (Derailed anyway)

If required, a mod could add "V2" to the title?

hao chi

I'm glad it's reviewing quite well so far. I have no idea how or when I'll play this with Zelda gripping me so tightly, but I'll at least be getting the day one edition. Can't wait to see what all this game has in store for us.

It's very different in tone. To some, the original still reigns king. Some people, myself included, prefer the new one though.

I'm thinking that perhaps the OST is just more consistently good, but I can see how that would be the case, too.

KodaRuss

I am pretty pumped after reading some of the reviews. In the middle of Horizon right now but I might have to put it down for this game.

Top Bottom