• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Morlas
Member
(03-11-2017, 04:01 PM)
Morlas's Avatar
Yeah even when adventure time was the golden goose it didn't get oversaturated like ttg is now, as a matter of fact i don't think they've ever overplayed a show as much as that one, is one of their executives like the uncle of one of the creators on the show or something?
abundant
Member
(03-11-2017, 04:09 PM)
abundant's Avatar

Originally Posted by Morlas996

Yeah even when adventure time was the golden goose it didn't get oversaturated like ttg is now, as a matter of fact i don't think they've ever overplayed a show as much as that one, is one of their executives like the uncle of one of the creators on the show or something?

CN does have a tendency to latch onto a show and play it non stop, but never to this extent. Leads me to believe that either the show's (even with reruns) ratings are above everything else or someone in charge is showing extreme favoritism towards TTG.
DrForester
Kills Photobucket
(03-11-2017, 04:40 PM)
DrForester's Avatar
Last nights episode was good. Ruby villain's being back is fine by me, but I am a bit bummed the Gems lost the spaceship. That was a nice vehicle for off-earth adventures, and it's now gone.
KenzinFive
Member
(03-11-2017, 04:46 PM)
KenzinFive's Avatar
It's probably that TTG is a great investment. It isn't always the #1 show in ratings for CN, as several Steven Universe episodes have actually beat it on certain weeks.

But TTG is probably much, MUCH cheaper to make compared to shows like Steven Universe. Even if SU is #1 in ratings on a given week, it may not be as profitable as Teen Titans Go, which has mountains of merchandise and probably also ties into their DC properties.

Speaking of DC properties, I'm really goddamn pissed at Justice League Action being aired once a week as well. Maybe they're waiting until there's a season's worth of episodes before they start airing it in blocks like Teen Titans Go. But I've completely forgotten that JLA had even debuted.
abundant
Member
(03-11-2017, 05:20 PM)
abundant's Avatar

Originally Posted by KenzinFive

Speaking of DC properties, I'm really goddamn pissed at Justice League Action being aired once a week as well. Maybe they're waiting until there's a season's worth of episodes before they start airing it in blocks like Teen Titans Go. But I've completely forgotten that JLA had even debuted.

JLA is Cartoon Network's current token Action Cartoon, so don't expect it to ever be treated right.
KenzinFive
Member
(03-11-2017, 05:27 PM)
KenzinFive's Avatar
Gameplay reveal for Steven Universe: Save the Light - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_l...ature=youtu.be

Looks great! This is a big leap from a 2D mobile game, despite having roughly the same battle system.

Eight playable characters also confirmed.

From what we've seen so far, and the obvious choices, we have:
Steven
Connie
Garnet
Greg
Amethyst
Pearl

I'm assuming the other 2 are Lapis and Peridot, but I could maybe see Lion taking up a slot.
Last edited by KenzinFive; 03-11-2017 at 05:30 PM.
TimmiT
Member
(03-11-2017, 05:50 PM)
TimmiT's Avatar
I'm really impressed by the 2D look they gave to the 3D environments


iosefe
Member
(03-11-2017, 05:54 PM)
iosefe's Avatar
You'll get Lion as a summon and enjoy it
Psxphile
Member
(03-11-2017, 05:58 PM)
Psxphile's Avatar
Yeah, I expect Lion to remain the summon he was originally conceived to be.

I love that Greg gets a slot in the lineup, but you know more fervent fans would have wanted a proper Gem in his place.

Looks like there's going to be combo attacks. I love me some dual techs, y'all.

Yeah, I can see Peridot and Lapis as the other two party members, likely to join later. Maybe hidden? They can be the Yuffie and Vincent of Save the Light.
Killthee
helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
(03-11-2017, 06:32 PM)
Killthee's Avatar

Originally Posted by KenzinFive

Gameplay reveal for Steven Universe: Save the Light - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_l...ature=youtu.be

Looks great! This is a big leap from a 2D mobile game, despite having roughly the same battle system.

Eight playable characters also confirmed.

From what we've seen so far, and the obvious choices, we have:
Steven
Connie
Garnet
Greg
Amethyst
Pearl

I'm assuming the other 2 are Lapis and Peridot, but I could maybe see Lion taking up a slot.

Looks like they got a huge budget increase for the second game! Do we know yet if it's coming to Switch?
PBalfredo
Member
(03-11-2017, 06:49 PM)
PBalfredo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Psxphile

Yeah, I can see Peridot and Lapis as the other two party members, likely to join later. Maybe hidden? They can be the Yuffie and Vincent of Save the Light.

Now I'm imagining those two as Yuffie and Vincent and it's too perfect.
iosefe
Member
(03-11-2017, 06:58 PM)
iosefe's Avatar

Originally Posted by PBalfredo

Now I'm imagining those two as Yuffie and Vincent and it's too perfect.

little green ball of pep, and tall brooding one
Psxphile
Member
(03-11-2017, 07:09 PM)
Psxphile's Avatar
Lapis has a secret connection to the main antagonist confirmed.
KenzinFive
Member
(03-11-2017, 09:37 PM)
KenzinFive's Avatar
I was sold the instant I saw Greg's hair bouncing up and down. Just seeing everything 3D is amazing.
MisterGrey3000
Member
(03-11-2017, 10:01 PM)
MisterGrey3000's Avatar
This feels like an episode that should have opened up a StevenBomb, because it's clearly set up for more ominous and thrilling events.
However it was still pretty good, I enjoyed it a lot.
Navy's cuteness made her betrayal/revenge all the more entertaining.
Lapis opening up about being broken and having a hard time adjusting to her new life on earth was also really great and very much needed.
Honestly, I'm super surprised and disappointed by the fact that Lapis hasn't had her own version of the so called "barn arc" yet; it's something I feel should have started with "Same Old World".Taking so long to address these kinds of developments while also glossing over her problems with the CGs has lead to a character who sometimes feels underdeveloped and inconsistent.

Edit: Btw stuff like this...

...should stop. It's kind of sloppy looking...at one point he doesn't even reach her hips, but in this shot he's up to her neck?
Going off-model can be really great, especially for comedic purposes...but characters wildly shifting in their heights like this looks sloppy and makes it feel like the storyboard artist doesn't know how to use the best shot for the scene (considering that this screenshot comes after a scene change the artist could have used a close shot while Garnet was talking and then cut back to a close shot of Steven for his response. A medium shot featuring both characters was unnecessary.)
Last edited by MisterGrey3000; 03-12-2017 at 01:20 AM.
DongBeetle
Member
(03-12-2017, 01:42 AM)
DongBeetle's Avatar
I was under the impression that Steven Universe is probably one of their most popular right now. Why so few airings?
Violet_0
(03-12-2017, 01:57 AM)
Violet_0's Avatar
how reliable are the ratings on the wiki? It looks like the viewership has dropped to roughly half of it's high point since S1
KiN0
Member
(03-12-2017, 03:09 AM)
KiN0's Avatar
I get the feeling viewership spikes during the bombs, then falls way down for weekly episodes.

This could be a result of the fact that bombs are more eventful while the weekly episodes have come to be seen as filler.
hughesta
Member
(03-12-2017, 03:10 AM)
hughesta's Avatar
Online viewing numbers are probably solid.
Ignatz Mouse
Vote with your $$$
(03-12-2017, 05:08 AM)
Ignatz Mouse's Avatar
I actually *like* TTG, but the super-frequent airings means that I usually end up seeing one I've already seen if I am just flipping channels. They really need to rein it in.

Now I need to check out JLA.
Last edited by Ignatz Mouse; 03-12-2017 at 05:16 AM.
KenzinFive
Member
(03-12-2017, 05:10 AM)
KenzinFive's Avatar

Originally Posted by DongBeetle

I was under the impression that Steven Universe is probably one of their most popular right now. Why so few airings?

Steven Universe is undoubtedly their most popular show...online. It definitely elicits the most online discussion. But in terms of ratings for their intended demographic, those online statistics may not always translate into viewership numbers.

The most recent bomb (five episode batch aired daily) saw a drop in ratings compared to previous bombs, but that was because pretty much every Steven Universe fan with Internet access saw the episodes a month earlier due to all of them leaking/releasing early online at once.

I can imagine that Teen Titans Go performs best with the demographic advertisers desire the most. If that's what makes the money, that's what gets the airings. Also, Steven Universe is often much more serialized than TTG or Gumball. There's certain episodes that absolutely must be watched in order. That being said, you would think that would make a perfect candidate for a regular marathon (which they have done in the past).
Last edited by KenzinFive; 03-12-2017 at 05:13 AM.
caliph95
Member
(03-12-2017, 05:11 AM)
caliph95's Avatar

Originally Posted by KenzinFive

Steven Universe is undoubtedly their most popular show...online. It definitely elicits the most online discussion. But in terms of ratings for their intended demographic, those online statistics may not always translate into viewership numbers.

The most recent bomb (five episode batch aired daily) saw a drop in ratings compared to previous bombs, but that was because pretty much every Steven Universe fan with Internet access saw the episodes a month earlier due to all of them leaking online at once.

I can imagine that Teen Titans Go performs best with the demographic advertisers desire the most. If that's what makes the money, that's what gets the airings. Also, Steven Universe is often much more serialized than TTG or Gumball. There's certain episodes that absolutely must be watched in order. That being said, you would think that would make a perfect candidate for a regular marathon (which they have done in the past).

Is it a similar situation with YJ and Korra, sounds like it.
KenzinFive
Member
(03-12-2017, 05:18 AM)
KenzinFive's Avatar

Originally Posted by caliph95

Is it a similar situation with YJ and Korra, sounds like it.

I imagine that could very much be the case. I still have no fucking idea why Nickelodeon chose to air the last few episodes of Korra online. There's still a big, passionate fan base online for the show, but they didn't really seem to care.

At least Young Justice is getting a resurrection on Netflix, thanks to it being so popular there. Too bad Steven Universe is stuck on Hulu, and with only about two seasons uploaded. Like YJ and Korra, it's a show that benefits strongly from binge-watching. Even the weaker Season 1 episodes work better when placed in the context of gradually building up to the midsession and season finales.
iosefe
Member
(03-12-2017, 05:26 AM)
iosefe's Avatar
i thought netflix wasn't confirmed, only that season 3 is happening
Zubz
Member
(03-12-2017, 08:31 PM)
Zubz's Avatar
Man, I loved seeing Lapis be the voice of reason. Also Navy being absolutely sadistic. That was a pleasant surprise, even if the leaks spoiled her stealing the ship.
blitzwolf215
Member
(03-12-2017, 09:19 PM)
blitzwolf215's Avatar
I think another reason ratings might be dropping is they have stopped advertising new episodes are airing. I had no idea these last few episodes were gonna air until the preview showed up on my recommendations on YouTube.
Baron von Loathsome
Member
(03-12-2017, 09:35 PM)
Baron von Loathsome's Avatar
Navy throughout that whole episode:

Toxi
Member
(03-12-2017, 10:26 PM)
Toxi's Avatar
Something I like about this show is how consistent and well-defined the characters are. With the way this episode was set up, I knew Peridot would be gung-ho about having someone new around while Lapis Lazuli would have reservations.
Psxphile
Member
(03-12-2017, 11:53 PM)
Psxphile's Avatar


Some people are really bothered by this, feeding into the 'SU going downhill since Jailbreak' narrative.

Oh yeah, today's the second anniversary of Jasper's debut in SU.
Baron von Loathsome
Member
(03-13-2017, 12:08 AM)
Baron von Loathsome's Avatar

Originally Posted by Psxphile



Some people are really bothered by this, feeding into the 'SU going downhill since Jailbreak' narrative.

Oh yeah, today's the second anniversary of Jasper's debut in SU.

Yeah, I noticed that Peridot looked fucking tiny in this last episode.
Permanently A
Junior Member
(03-13-2017, 12:13 AM)
Permanently A's Avatar
Steven Marathons are probably the best way to show the show but... are they even profitable for advertisers?

If I was CN I would do online streaming marathons with ads targeted at the online viewership (mostly teenage/young adult males and females from what I can tell) before each Steven Bomb aired on TV.
Mesousa
Member
(03-13-2017, 12:19 AM)
Mesousa's Avatar
Is Steven Universe even really popular with kids? It wasn't nominated for the kids choice awards yesterday in cartoons, and the airings don't paint a picture that it is.
Vital Tundra
Member
(03-13-2017, 12:29 AM)
Vital Tundra's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mesousa

Is Steven Universe even really popular with kids? It wasn't nominated for the kids choice awards yesterday in cartoons, and the airings don't paint a picture that it is.

Nah man its all about that Teen Titans for the kids lmao.
KenzinFive
Member
(03-13-2017, 12:41 AM)
KenzinFive's Avatar
Next week's Cartoon Network schedule: https://cnschedulearchive.tumblr.com...artoon-network

Only six shows airing all week. Teen Titans Go, Gumball, and Cloud with a Chance of Meatballs make up 98% of the total schedule, with TTG taking up 48%.

I'd really like to see the "science" that goes into this scheduling, because it doesn't make sense anymore.

Good time to be a Gumball fan, I guess.
Ignatz Mouse
Vote with your $$$
(03-13-2017, 03:33 AM)
Ignatz Mouse's Avatar

Originally Posted by Psxphile



Some people are really bothered by this, feeding into the 'SU going downhill since Jailbreak' narrative.

Oh yeah, today's the second anniversary of Jasper's debut in SU.

There are elements of Fandom that I just avoid. This comes squarely from there.
hughesta
Member
(03-13-2017, 03:42 AM)
hughesta's Avatar
I don't care how "on-model" a particular shot is so long as it looks great. There are plenty of times going off-model helps sell a scene more.
daevious
Member
(03-13-2017, 03:45 AM)
daevious's Avatar

Originally Posted by Psxphile



Some people are really bothered by this, feeding into the 'SU going downhill since Jailbreak' narrative.

Oh yeah, today's the second anniversary of Jasper's debut in SU.

See, I just take from this that Peridot is actually Koichi from Diamond is Unbreakable. Both characters are meant to be taller but all the official art makes them smaller because ???.
Puruzi
Member
(03-13-2017, 04:49 AM)
Puruzi's Avatar

Originally Posted by hughesta

I don't care how "on-model" a particular shot is so long as it looks great. There are plenty of times going off-model helps sell a scene more.

When it comes the this show though going off model usually just makes it look bad.
Sub-Zero at a Starbucks
Wolfric the Wild
(03-13-2017, 05:13 AM)
Sub-Zero at a Starbucks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zubz

Man, I loved seeing Lapis be the voice of reason. Also Navy being absolutely sadistic. That was a pleasant surprise, even if the leaks spoiled her stealing the ship.



self-restraint, how does it work
Zeus Molecules
illegal immigrants are stealing our air
(03-13-2017, 05:15 AM)
Zeus Molecules's Avatar

Originally Posted by abundant

CN does have a tendency to latch onto a show and play it non stop, but never to this extent. Leads me to believe that either the show's (even with reruns) ratings are above everything else or someone in charge is showing extreme favoritism towards TTG.

TTG is the new Johnny Test.
Sub-Zero at a Starbucks
Wolfric the Wild
(03-13-2017, 05:16 AM)
Sub-Zero at a Starbucks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeus Molecules

TTG is the new Johnny Test.

*whip crack sfx*
TheOGB
Shots Shots Shots
(03-13-2017, 05:36 AM)
TheOGB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero at a Starbucks

*whip crack sfx*

I'm starting to notice this in TTG more and I don't know if they're actually using it more often lately or if I'm experiencing some kind of PTSD
hateradio
The Most Dangerous Yes Man
(03-13-2017, 05:44 AM)
hateradio's Avatar

Originally Posted by daevious

See, I just take from this that Peridot is actually Koichi from Diamond is Unbreakable. Both characters are meant to be taller but all the official art makes them smaller because ???.

The longer she's on earth the cuter she gets, obvs.
NEO0MJ
Member
(03-13-2017, 12:12 PM)
NEO0MJ's Avatar
While I wasn't surprised by the twist the reason for it was lol.

Edit: Garnet holding two balloons probably means that there was a chance Navy could have actually turned, right?
Last edited by NEO0MJ; 03-13-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Raxus
Member
(03-13-2017, 03:48 PM)
Raxus's Avatar

Originally Posted by NEO0MJ

While I wasn't surprised by the twist the reason for it was lol.

Edit: Garnet holding two balloons probably means that there was a chance Navy could have actually turned, right?

Yep, as she describes Future Vision she sees a fork in the road and sees how the scenarios typically play out. So I am assuming it was a 50-50 shot.
hikarutilmitt
Member
(03-13-2017, 04:37 PM)
hikarutilmitt's Avatar

Originally Posted by Psxphile



Some people are really bothered by this, feeding into the 'SU going downhill since Jailbreak' narrative.

Oh yeah, today's the second anniversary of Jasper's debut in SU.

It's funny with this, because I feel like 2 is more on model than 1 is. The limb enhancers always looked like they made her more like 1 and maybe a bit taller and 1 itself feels too tall.

Then again, I take the episodes where Peridot is super tiny as "fun" episodes because she's doing weird stuff. Even in the cluster episode she seemed closer to 2 leaning towards 3 than 1, and that was a more serious episode by far.

Also, I would pay large sums of cash money for a good Japanese figure company like Alter or Kotobukiya to make a 1/6 scale of flying Lapis.
Rasamune
Junior Member
(03-13-2017, 07:58 PM)

Originally Posted by hikarutilmitt

It's funny with this, because I feel like 2 is more on model than 1 is. The limb enhancers always looked like they made her more like 1 and maybe a bit taller and 1 itself feels too tall.

Then again, I take the episodes where Peridot is super tiny as "fun" episodes because she's doing weird stuff. Even in the cluster episode she seemed closer to 2 leaning towards 3 than 1, and that was a more serious episode by far.

Also, I would pay large sums of cash money for a good Japanese figure company like Alter or Kotobukiya to make a 1/6 scale of flying Lapis.

God I just want some SU Nendoroids!!!!! Goodsmile plz
MisterGrey3000
Member
(03-14-2017, 01:37 AM)
MisterGrey3000's Avatar

Originally Posted by Psxphile



Some people are really bothered by this, feeding into the 'SU going downhill since Jailbreak' narrative.

I'm definitely bothered by the inconsistencies in proportion and height (I mean what can I say? I'm an artist/storyboarder/comic creator, art direction is important to me) but the crazy way that these things shift can be pretty hilarious.





Lappy Bravo
Last edited by MisterGrey3000; 03-14-2017 at 01:43 AM.
KenzinFive
Member
(03-14-2017, 02:26 AM)
KenzinFive's Avatar
I think the biggest thing that bugs me about the design inconsistencies is how amazing and well-crafted the show looks when the right storyboarding team is in charge, or when Rebecca Sugar storyboards certain scenes. In a perfect world, the show would look that great all the time.

It'd be one thing if designs were allowed to vary wildly on a show like The Loud House, which is geared almost solely towards comedy. Thought I guess the show would be really weird if the sisters were all different heights from scene to scene and episode to episode. I understand the mindset of allowing storyboarders to put their own style on the characters. But when it's applied to a show loved by most of its fans for its more serious elements, it becomes more off-putting and I'm not sure it really works.

At the very least, the most jarring design differences seem to be regulated to less "important" episodes. The only "important" episode that I can think of that suffers from mid-tier animation is Crack the Whip. The Stevonnie/Jasper fight feels sort of flat, but that's not really due to design inconsistencies.
Last edited by KenzinFive; 03-14-2017 at 02:47 AM.
Zubz
Member
(03-14-2017, 07:26 PM)
Zubz's Avatar
I sort of like the fact each storyboard artist's scenes look different; I'm fine with the slight inconsistency since it's like each artist's signature.

That said, the short/wide Peridot this episode was a little off-putting, I will admit.

Thread Tools