• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Hey eff you guys! I tried to draft correctly and passed a foil Graftdiggers Cage for a Terminate. Got paid off by opening nothing else in value and losing the first round (single elim). :(

My buddies in the same pods ended up going 2-0 and splitting the finals for 5 packs each. They both opened a fetch in their drafts. And they were bitching at first for me dragging them there lol. Smh

Damn that new card is ugly with a lot of text. People like full art cards for a reason.

This is some real cool tech with Ayli Eternal Pilgrim in EDH
angelic%20accord.jpg
Still don't know how to build her exactly. Might end up making tap out control.

Wulfric

Went 0-3 in my draft, but got a Goblin Guide and Blood Moon. Traded those plus others for an EXP Wasteland.

Full box MM2017 sealed today. Pray for me.

I don't know why Top 8 is drafting MM2015 instead of 2017, but hey, free cards~~~

f0rk

because it's predatory on worse players.
I don't really see how that matters. Everyone's worse when you have to pick off colour fetches instead of actually good limited cards.

You can still give everyone a prize pack, and the 7th-8th best rare is probably better than what a lot of people get from drafting anyway

bigkrev

I don't really see how that matters. Everyone's worse when you have to pick off colour fetches instead of actually good limited cards.

Ok, now explain to a bad player why they need to pay $30+ even they aren't going to get anything of value

You can still give everyone a prize pack, and the 7th-8th best rare is probably better than what a lot of people get from drafting anyway
The powerlevel takes a hit no doubt but rare redrafting is only possible when everyone involved is on the same page. You need a group of people that are similarly versed in limited and all aboard losing their money cards. If you do it with randoms and if some of them are fairly new to it then it's just preying on them.

Prize packs come from the admission money so not sure what point you're making there.

ultron87

Rare redraft seems even worse in a set like this where it is dramatically easy to swap out an incredibly valuable card for some trash from your binder between rounds. The incentive for shenanigans is just so high.

Unless there's some draconian "keep your pool on the draft table" rule.

kirblar

Rare redrafting only ever makes sense if you're

a) drafting by yourselves outside of a sanctioned store event so you have to make your own prize support. (stores that do redrafts are scumbags)

or

b) explicitly trying to practice for competitive draft events

and b) isn't a good excuse

MoxManiac

My local store does rare redrafting for FNM drafts, but if you open a masterpiece, they let you keep it and that pack on the spot and pay $5 to open a new pack for the draft in its place.

Still plenty of room for shananigans though, I guess. My issue with keep drafts is the extra cost; my LGS is doing MM2017 keep drafts for $45 and that's just too rich for my blood.

Still plenty of room for shananigans though, I guess. My issue with keep drafts is the extra cost; my LGS is doing MM2017 keep drafts for $45 and that's just too rich for my blood.

They make you pay $45 and then don't even let you keep what you actually opened? Why not just light that money on fire directly and skip the middleman?

bigkrev

My local store does rare redrafting for FNM drafts, but if you open a masterpiece, they let you keep it and that pack on the spot and pay $5 to open a new pack for the draft in its place.

So they are charging more than MSRP of the pack for this? That's scummy as fuck.

MoxManiac

Sorry if my post was confusing. They are doing keep drafts for MM2017 meaning you keep what you open. The extra $15 is prize support. They only do rare redrafts for regular sets on FNM.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I got passed a Scalding Tarn in pack 2 yesterday. The guy who passed it was an older man there with his kids. I assumed he didn't know what was going on so I asked if he knew what he passed and he said he knew what fetches are and what they are worth but he got a sweet foil mythic.

I later found out it was Entreat the Angels. I thought I got the better of that deal. Until he went Turn 3 Gaea's Anthem into Miracle'd Entreat and thrashed me. He ended up winning the pod and getting that Tarn's value back in prizes.

I got passed a Scalding Tarn in pack 2 yesterday. The guy who passed it was an older man there with his kids. I assumed he didn't know what was going on so I asked if he knew what he passed and he said he knew what fetches are and what they are worth but he got a sweet foil mythic.

I later found out it was Entreat the Angels. I thought I got the better of that deal. Until he went Turn 3 Gaea's Anthem into Miracle'd Entreat and thrashed me. He ended up winning the pod and getting that Tarn's value back in prizes.

It all works out for everyone. I wish I got a tarn :(

Only value was 2x foil spell pierce

kirblar

Foil Entreat? Yeah, that's not bad.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";232310164]Plus, it's a lot easier to win a draft with Entreat the Angels than Scalding Tarn.[/QUOTE]

...that's the point

noquarter

Opened 27 packs so far, my box and one draft. Have not seen one IoK. Was one of the cards I was really hoping to see and maybe get a couple of. Do have all the fucking mana fixing uncommons you could want from my box though. Signets everywhere.

jph139

Man, awful draft all around yesterday. Most valuable card was a Thragtusk and the best I could cobble together was a shitty Jund Tokens deck. Went 0-3.

Not the best use of $40.

Jhriad

Why aren't you all redrafting rares

Because that just further rewards the best drafters and makes the drafts where the variance, inherent to Magic, kicks you in the balls even worse. If my deck trolls me with Mana screw/flood I'd like to at least be able to walk out of the draft with more than some bulk shit. I'd rather take the ability to choose my value during the draft than leave it partially up to game variance I or the luck of potentially getting something from a fresh pack. Rare redrafting is just for stores that want to subsidize their loyal, enfranchised playerbase and don't care about new or casual players.

y2dvd

Doing a sealed pptq. This was one of the most ridiculous packs I've ever opened.

Liliana
Misty Rainforest
Arid Mesa
Goblin Guide
Death Shadow

All playable in the same deck. The guy in front of me opened foil Cavern, foil Terminus, and Voice of Resurgence. My buddy opened foil Goyf and Cavern. Ridiculous openings all around.

Tunoku

Not sure how good this format is in Sealed, but I wouldn't mind it over Standard PPTQs. There are a couple coming early next month over here and they're both Mardu vs. Saheeli. How much was the entry fee?

Wulfric

My box: Liliana, foil Voice, Blood Moon, Arid Mesa, Verdant Catacombs, and a Misty Rainforest. Solid stuff. But I've seen some horrid boxes. YMMV as always.

red13th

The only cards of value in my pack were Snapcaster Mage, foil Misty Raiforest, Scalding Tarn, Arid Mesa, Blood Moon, 2x Path to Exile, Inquisition of Kozilek and that's it I think.
Second mythic was Temporal Mastery *sigh*
Love cracking packs, so no regrets.

Supast4r

The only cards of value in my pack were Snapcaster Mage, foil Misty Raiforest, Scalding Tarn, Arid Mesa, Blood Moon, 2x Path to Exile, Inquisition of Kozilek and that's it I think.
Second mythic was Temporal Mastery *sigh*
Love cracking packs, so no regrets.

When I drafted the most valuable card that I got was bonfire of the damned. I didn't even get an uncommon worth any money. I drafted a cruel ultimatum deck which was fun but it was depressing to get nothing of value. Most of my matches went close but I only won one match which got me no packs. The only good thing was trading for a damnation.

traveler

Not Wario
Re:alternative templates for the consequences cards- I kind of wish they had just gone with the split card template and given the graveyard only side some unique background appearance similar to what they've done for miracles or the gods. I can't get over just how straight up ugly the current template is.

Like, they were already fine with this:

Image.ashx

Putting a twist on it to show that both can be cast together. Why not do something similar to illustrate than only one can be cast from each zone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom