• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Bill Maher had a show called "Politically Incorrect" throughout the 90s. The word had wide use in both liberal and conservative circles. While the right used it more frequently against the left as a talking point, that doesn't then transform it into the term "cultural marxism," which is in itself incredibly loaded. Your analogy is literally just "both words were used by the right against the left, therefore they are the same." This is not convincing.

You say "regressive left" is a fantasy term used to describe two incoherent ideas: that the left opposes free speech, and that the left opposes free exercise of religion. I agree with the later - anyone using the term to describe the free exercise of religion, in terms of being able to freely discriminate against other religions, is off the deep end. But the focus on free-speech is not a non-issue. Colleges increasingly deplatform (there is statistical data) speakers due to leftist student protests. When cartoonists who draw Muhammad are killed, the left is filled with individuals speaking up about how the cartoonists shouldn't have drawn it, and that it was their own fault. In Canada they're putting in place (or have already) "hate speech" laws that give tremendous fines for not using proper gender descriptors including ones like "zie/hir." Kirsten Powers, Jordan Peterson, Maajid Nawaz, and Jonathan Haidt are all liberal/moderate intellectuals, among others, who are worried about this problem, so you characterizing it as libertarian atheist hogwash is more than disingenuous. I mean the term itself was literally coined by a liberal, Jonathan Chait, so it's pretty damn ironic to be thinking it's some conservative plot to undermine liberalism.

You're going to have to source everything there because it's obvious you're just making it up

Jebusman

Banned

Oh I expected you to quote an actual canadian source, not a really bad interpretation from a US source.

An article which also starts with:

I also indicated my refusal to apply what are now known as “preferred” pronouns to people who do not fit easily into traditional gender categories (although I am willing to call someone “he” or “she” in accordance with their manner of self-presentation).

So yeah that's a real unbiased source there.

SomTervo

Jumping to blatantly defend racism while decrying and attempting to silence the side angry with it IS straight up idiotic. There's NOTHING complex about what Jontron said or did, nor about what Matthou did.

*Guy says a bunch of white supremacist shit, naturally gets blown the fuck out*

Dude who has not heard a single thing that was said:I personally think that this is a huge over reaction. This isn't that radical of a response to all of the problems facing America, I feel.

Same dude after everyone rightfully goes what the fuck:I just assumed it was like an offhanded comment or something. I literally didn't see a single thing that was said.

It's pretty clear cut. And fucking insufferable. At least he apologized, but holy shit far be it from me to feel empathy for what seems like a borderline impulse.

Listen, you are exactly and 100% right, but a) I'm not apologising for what the person said, and B) the person obviously realised they really fucked up, and i tried to soften that blow rather than terrify/alienate them out of this and all future threads about the subject. Doing an idiotic thing doesn't mean you're an idiot. People change. And acknowledging when they realise they're wrong and being relatively friendly about it can help keep them in the discussion and change minds in the long term.

stephen08

Care to actually source this?

It's a bill that would extend current hate speech laws already in place for religious people, homosexual people, and minorities to include transgender persons as well.

Some quotes of the updated sections to Canadian Human Rights Act:

For all purposes of this Act, the prohibited grounds of discrimination are race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, disability and conviction for an offence for which a pardon has been granted or in respect of which a record suspension has been ordered.

(i) evidence that the offence was motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression, or on any other similar factor,

It is merely taking the protection we already offer minorities of all kinds and extending the definition to include gender identity. If people want to argue this infringing on free speech then the issue isn't with this bill it is for the concept as a whole.

The whole idea about 'if you call someone the wrong pronoun they can sue you' hysteria is ridiculous. It's the equivalent as if you said something one of those other groups took the wrong way and they sued you over it. That hasn't been a problem so far so I see no reason why it would be so now.

EDIT: Here is the link of the actual bill directly from Parliament.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-bl...-prof-defied-sjw-on-gender-pronouns-and-has-a

I did confuse the NY fine with the canadian legislation, I quickly sourced when trying to type the response, my mistake.

That is not a reputable source. Try again. Also also of this while you're at it.
Colleges increasingly deplatform (there is statistical data) speakers due to leftist student protests. When cartoonists who draw Muhammad are killed, the left is filled with individuals speaking up about how the cartoonists shouldn't have drawn it, and that it was their own fault.

Jebusman

Banned
Ignoring the confusion between Canada and NY, I still take umbrage with your interpretation of the NY fine, because it's not simply "I called someone "him" and now I'm being fined a quarter million dollars", it's

"This person has asked me to referred to them by this name, and I repeatedly refuse to because I believe gender identity to be a sham and politically motivated."

That's a slightly different tone to the reason why you'd be getting fined.

If only that stupid GAME_JAM reality show hadn't failed, and he hadn't met Zoe Quinn there, hadn't gone down the anti-SJW/anti-PC/gamergate, hadn't retweeted a NSFW comic of a gamergate gangbang, hadn't teamed up with alt-righters, hadn't said "retarded" maybe this wouldn't have happened? This scandal has been 3 years in the making.

2014:
hqdefault.jpg

f8d.png

5266274+_4fdf249f8de257a736f285bc8512ba3a.png

GOpN9Cv.png

312.png

wEB0L6h.png

1407275728416.png

Pewdiepie_f32066_5622990.jpg

tumblr_okgxviW4n61ugtnico1_500.png

To white nationalism in 2017:
attachment.php

But his freedoms! But His videos are so funny! But other YouTubers say he is such a nice guy. JonTron can go fuck himself and his self-victimizing YouTube friends can go fuck themselves too. H3H3 and Boogie included and I actually liked those dudes,

It is especially disappointing with Ethan and Hila especially because Ethan went after Joey Salads for race inciting and baiting, who is a genuine fucktard I'll admit, but then defends JonTron because they are buddies. WT everloving F

Arkage

Banned
The law was specifically changed to allow hateful speech "against" trans people to count under our already existing hate speech law. Just simply referring to someone as the wrong pronoun, while a dick move, isn't "hateful".

That isn't exactly correct.

What’s more, according to the City, “refusal to use a transgender employee’s preferred name, pronoun, or title may constitute unlawful gender-based harassment.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-demand-that-you-use/?utm_term=.136def465711

Jebusman

Banned
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-bl...-prof-defied-sjw-on-gender-pronouns-and-has-a

I did confuse the NY fine with the canadian legislation, I quickly sourced when trying to type the response, my mistake.

Looking into it, isn't the entire bill based on repeated harassment & malicious intent by employers, landlords and business professionals?

The actual Bill sourced on the NYC government site is no longer available; so I can't comment beyond the cited parts, but malicious intent seems to be key to the entire thing.

Like it seems to be the equivalent of fining someone's boss for repeatedly going "Hey F*GGOT" any time they greet an employer.

Bill Maher had a show called "Politically Incorrect" throughout the 90s.

Interestingly it would be the right that got his show cancelled simply because he said something that fit the name of the show. I'd say in the 90's and early 2000's we saw a lot more of the right trying to shut people down for saying things they didn't like. Howard Stern was a common target because they didn't like how openly he spoke about sex. Marilyn Manson was another because of the how anti-Christianity angle.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
It's nice of you to disqualify a source as reputable at-will. Such sublime argument.

And here's the other one, while I'm at it.

http://heterodoxacademy.org/2017/02/07/campus-speaker-disinvitations-recent-trends-part-2-of-2/

Heterodoxacademy?!?! You can't actually be serious. I'm asking for well respected sources with independently verifiable information. You can't see that these are just random blogs making things up? What kind of source would you use for a university essay for example?

Edit: Those aren't sources in any form of the word. They are blogs posting opinion

Jebusman

Banned
It's nice of you to disqualify a source as reputable at-will. Such sublime argument.

http://heterodoxacademy.org/2017/02/07/campus-speaker-disinvitations-recent-trends-part-2-of-2/

Alright I made it exactly a single paragraph before I had to write this post.

They start with fucking Milo in their opening example.

Are you going to seriously make the argument here that it's a problem that people object to someone like Milo speaking?

REALLY?

This site (blog) is literally "both sides" the website. That the idea of opposing viewpoints is inherently better, even if that viewpoint is "I think certain races are subhuman".

Aquillion

Bill Maher had a show called "Politically Incorrect" throughout the 90s. The word had wide use in both liberal and conservative circles. While the right used it more frequently against the left as a talking point, that doesn't then transform it into the term "cultural marxism," which is in itself incredibly loaded. Your analogy is literally just "both words were used by the right against the left, therefore they are the same." This is not convincing.

You say "regressive left" is a fantasy term used to describe two incoherent ideas: that the left opposes free speech, and that the left opposes free exercise of religion. I agree with the later - anyone using the term to describe the free exercise of religion, in terms of being able to freely discriminate against other religions, is off the deep end. But the focus on free-speech is not a non-issue. Colleges increasingly deplatform (there is statistical data) speakers due to leftist student protests. When cartoonists who draw Muhammad are killed, the left is filled with individuals speaking up about how the cartoonists shouldn't have drawn it, and that it was their own fault. In Canada they're putting in place (or have already) "hate speech" laws that give tremendous fines for not using proper gender descriptors including ones like "zie/hir." Kirsten Powers, Jordan Peterson, Maajid Nawaz, and Jonathan Haidt are all liberal/moderate intellectuals, among others, who are worried about this problem, so you characterizing it as libertarian atheist hogwash is more than disingenuous. I mean the term itself was literally coined by a liberal, Jonathan Chait, so it's pretty damn ironic to be thinking it's some conservative plot to undermine liberalism.
All of your examples are anecdotal. You say "there is statistical data"; produce it. Show me a peer-reviewed study - something genuinely high-quality - that indicates that this is an increasing problem, or that it is specific and unique to the left. I do not think you can. The data isn't there, because this is, indeed, a fantasy - pure hogwash pumped out (largely) by a conservative machine determined to discredit the opposition via whatever lies it can.

It is convenient for some liberals who want to be seen as "reasonable" to buy into this fantasy, to present themselves as the "good liberal" in the landscape of that vapid fantasy hopes of winning some readership among conservatives; since the accusations are entirely groundless fantasy, after all, it involves no real sacrifice beyond And, of course, there are always dumb people at all points of the political spectrum that ideologues can pull together into anecdotal smears that are eagerly swallowed by anyone who wants an easy answer; but there is no evidence whatsoever that that kind of silliness is on the rise, or that it's any more common among the left than the right.

For the record, you are incorrect about who coined the term. It was coined by Maajid Nawaz, an anti-Islamic activist, as a way to tar the political left for being insufficiently anti-Islamic, and adopted by (as I said) right-wing libertarians looking for a way to present the left as "other" in order to substitute for the increasingly-tired accusation of Marxism. In short, it is pure, unadulterated hogwash spun by bloggers and think-tanks to trick rubes into agreeing with them. Its functional purpose in an argument is to give conservative-leaning atheists a thin veneer of intellectual-sounding cover by giving them bits of meaningless, important-sounding jargon they can pull over their attempts to clobber their ideological opposition. It doesn't even take much investigation to turn up how vapid the accusation is - there's literally nothing behind it beyond red-faced conservative talking heads vaguely waving at whatever the stupidest people Fox News could drudge up to throw onto the screen as a strawman against the left. There's no data supporting it, no coherent framework describing what the conservatives freaking out over it are actually afraid of, and no connection whatsoever to anything the left as a whole actually does or believes.

You're also whitewashing what the term means; it is specifically an anti-Islamic slur (saying that the left is too accepting of Islam), not a general statement about no-platforming or whatever the buzzword floating around on the blogs you read today is.

It doesn't have even the tiniest relation to reality. Like the breathless obsession conservative think-tanks had with their manufactured controversy over "political correctness" in the 90's, the accusations you're talking about are pure spin, nothing else.

(Again, don't you feel even the smallest twinge of concern that you are presenting your buzzwords about what-you-think-the-left-actually-believes to, well, leftists, and being told that it has no relation to reality at all? If it was a serious accusation - if it reflected reality in any meaningful way - you would find people willing to defend it, not people pointing out that you're full of shit and your buzzwords are dumb.)

Come on, man. "Here is a blog that agrees with me!" isn't a reputable source. Anyone can pull any blog they want out of their ass.

We can legitimately disagree about a lot of stuff, but if we want to talk seriously about political-science in a way that can cross the aisle, you need to be willing to put in the actual work, which means going to peer-reviewed journals and listening to what they say (and, ideally, not just taking one or two studies out of context, but reading a lot of them to get a general sense of the state of a particular field.) It's hard work and it tends to not produce easy answers or snappy memes like you were trying to slap people with above, but it gives you better answers, too. "Some blogger is mad at the left for something" doesn't tell us anything. You're trying to make sweeping statements about an entire political perspective that encompasses a huge chunk of the country.

This gets back to what I was saying above about why these kinds of memes are so popular with a certain segment of geek culture - again, there's the desire to sound like you have a deep, thorough understanding of a hugely-complicated issue, so it's tempting to seize on a snappy meme that happens to fit into your existing prejudices. But it's all right to just say "I don't know" now and then, you know?

So basically he saw his sub count tank and decided he wanted to revert to being apolitical. Too late, you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube you creep.

Oh wow.

Either I didn't know Jon has been a massive piece of shit eating trash this entire time, or I had forgotten about it. Those 2014 tweets are something else.

It bums me the fuck out that he's so popular and that Continue isn't. I'm going to plug Continue here. Go watch Continue.

If only that stupid GAME_JAM reality show hadn't failed, and he hadn't met Zoe Quinn there, hadn't gone down the anti-SJW/anti-PC/gamergate, hadn't retweeted a NSFW comic of a gamergate gangbang, hadn't teamed up with alt-righters, hadn't said "retarded" maybe this wouldn't have happened? This scandal has been 3 years in the making.
i'm happy to see neil cicierega being a Good Dude

Oh wow.

Either I didn't know Jon has been a massive piece of shit eating trash this entire time, or I had forgotten about it. Those 2014 tweets are something else.

It bums me the fuck out that he's so popular and that Continue isn't. I'm going to plug Continue here. Go watch Continue.
Yes please watch Continue it's very very good

Maron

This will have no impact on his career anyway (and the numbers have proven this so far too) so there's really nothing to do I feel but unsubscribe and not give it more attention if one took what he said to cross their line. The more attention or aggressive witchhunts people do or find themselves in the process of doing towards Jon, the more valid any arguments of victimization on his end become as a result.

Best thing to do I feel (if you were offended by his statements) is to stop paying him any attention, and that includes not giving him the power that comes your voice and attention. He wouldn't have a career if folks weren't talking about him and paying attention to what he does.

Wishing Jon the best, really hope he gets to learn, do better, and rewire himself. The type of mindset he revealed himself as having feels like such a miserable one.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
My favorite part about all of this is now I have a legitimate reason to hate h3h3 beyond him just be annoying and stupid as all holy fuck.

And I wanna echo the thought that while this is disappointing and ridiculous on so many levels it's pretty amazing to see a subreddit group so quickly and naturally use their brains and not look collectively morally repugnant for once. Good group there...

RinsFury

2014:
hqdefault.jpg

f8d.png

GOpN9Cv.png

312.png

wEB0L6h.png

1407275728416.png

attachment.php

Ugh. Fuck this piece of shit.

Maron

My favorite part about all of this is now I have a legitimate reason to hate h3h3 beyond him just be annoying and stupid as all holy fuck.

And I wanna echo the thought that while this is disappointing and ridiculous on so many levels it's pretty amazing to see a subreddit group so quickly and naturally use their brains and not look collectively morally repugnant for once. Good group there...

What did Ethan do...? And yeah the subreddit megathreads were really good to skim through, it was so interesting to see such an incoherent and unabashed shitposting subreddit actually align itself in an open dialogue with each other. Felt like a totally different place for a couple of days.

2014:
hqdefault.jpg

f8d.png

GOpN9Cv.png

312.png

wEB0L6h.png

1407275728416.png

attachment.php

Jesus fucking christ, how can anyone defend this guy.

Just a little side note after actually slogging through all the data presented.

The fact that Milo was included actually indicates that the people collecting that data basically assimilated "Political views" & "Literally singling out students and harassing them" as belonging to the same category.

Assuming the numbers are correct, the categories selected don't tell us a lot about the actual issues at hand if Milo's targeted harassment is simply another notch for "protests over political disagreement".

Arkage

Banned
All of your examples are anecdotal. You say "there is statistical data"; produce it. Show me a peer-reviewed study - something genuinely high-quality - that indicates that this is an increasing problem, or that it is specific and unique to the left. I do not think you can. The data isn't there, because this is, indeed, a fantasy - pure hogwash pumped out (largely) by a conservative machine determined to discredit the opposition via whatever lies it can.

I linked Heterodox, which while not peer reviewed is reputable. Do you really think colleges, which have objectively much higher rates of liberal professors than moderates or conservatives, are going to fund studies on which political party does the most disinvitations? It's an obvious fact that the left is doing way more disinvitations, I really don't see how that can be disputed, even anecdotally.

But you are incorrect about who coined the term. It was coined by Maajid Nawaz, an anti-Islamic activist, as a way to tar the political left for being insufficiently anti-Islamic, and adopted by (as I said) right-wing libertarians looking for a way to present the left as "other" in order to substitute for the increasingly-tired accusation of Marxism.

You are correct it was Maajid, should've looked it up. Though I do find it ironic that you frame Nawaz as "anti-Islamic" despite him identifying as as culturally Muslim, and actively works to convert extremists to moderation. I mean, he used to be an extremist recruiter. And when you label him "anti-Islamic", as most of the extreme left does, you really can't see the forest for the trees. Here is a person who is Islamic who is literally working to end extremism, but because he criticises some particular doctrines of Islam as violent and bigoted and misogynistic, as are other ancient texts, he is now labelled "anti-Muslim." The irony is incredible.

You're also whitewashing what the term means; it is specifically an anti-Islamic slur (saying that the left is too accepting of Islam), not a general statement about no-platforming or whatever the buzzword floating around on the blogs you read today is.

I mean, I gave you my definition of the word and the examples of it. You reject my definition and examples, because you want it to fit into your own box so you can neatly swat down the strawman. That's fine, but it's not an argument.

Like the breathless obsession conservative think-tanks had with their manufactured controversy over "political correctness" in the 90's, the accusations you're talking about are pure spin, nothing else.

This doesn't sound, smell, or look like "pure spin."

The rest of your words were very flowery, but I couldn't find much substance, so I don't feel compelled to respond to them.

The fact that Milo was included actually indicates that the people collecting that data basically assimilated "Political views" & "Literally singling out students and harassing them" as belonging to the same category.

I think Milo was likely his own unique terribleness for that particular category, or else there'd be more news stories swirling about all the other disinvitations.

Choomp

Banned
Yeah Jon, this doesn't really change anything lol.

I hate to reference an old JonTron joke, but this is the Space Ace guy falling to his death, his choice words being "Hmm Hmm". "Hmm Hmm" Jon!? Seriously?

I linked Heterodox, which while not peer reviewed is reputable. Do you really think colleges, which have objectively much higher rates of liberals than moderates or conservatives, are going to fund studies on which political party does the most disinvitations? It's an obvious fact that the left is doing way more disinvitations, I really don't see how that can be disputed, even anecdotally.

Would you agree that simply jotting someone like Milo down as being protested over 'political disagreement' is grossly misrepresenting why the protests against him have such severity?

There's a difference between "controversial opinions" & "literally singles out students to mock them publicly".

I think Milo was likely his own unique terribleness for that particular category, or else there'd be more news stories swirling about all the other disinvitations.

It makes the data kinda bunk though, doesn't it? If their idea of political disagreement is broad enough that Milo can take up 14 of the 46 notches (+-, I did notice each case involving Milo was counted seperately) for 2016 it's actually impossible to say how many of the succesful attempts were over actual academic disagreement rather than a completely inappropriate guest.

/edit

After looking into it a bit, the growth if disinvitations in 2016 is largely to thank due to Milo making up nearly 30% of the data.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I linked Heterodox, which while not peer reviewed is reputable. Do you really think colleges, which have objectively much higher rates of liberals than moderates or conservatives, are going to fund studies on which political party does the most disinvitations? It's an obvious fact that the left is doing way more disinvitations, I really don't see how that can be disputed, even anecdotally.

You are correct it was Maajid, should've looked it up. Though I do find it ironic that you frame Nawaz as "anti-Islamic" despite him identifying as as culturally Muslim, and actively works to convert extremists to moderation. I mean, he used to be an extremist recruiter. And when you label him "anti-Islamic", as most of the extreme left does, you really can't see the forest for the trees. Here is a person who is Islamic who is literally working to end extremism, but because he criticises some particular doctrines of Islam as violent and bigoted and misogynistic, as are other ancient texts, he is now labelled "anti-Muslim." The irony is incredible.

The rest of your words were very flowery, but I couldn't find much substance, so I don't feel compelled to respond to them.

How can you say something for which you have produced no evidence whatsoever is "obvious fact"? You aren't even trying to be honest here

Edit: you have produced no evidence of any kind for any of your assertions. You may want to rethink why you're so sure of yourself when there is no evidence available to back up even a single one of your claims

23qwerty

Who the hell is this guy, and why does anyone care enough about what he says to start a thread about it?
he's an immensely popular gaming/internet personality who used to be half of game grumps

I don't get the point of posting to complain about not knowing a popular thing/person. happens way too often

Mael

I linked Heterodox, which while not peer reviewed is reputable.
Why?
Do you really think colleges, which have objectively much higher rates of liberal professors than moderates or conservatives, are going to fund studies on which political party does the most disinvitations?

Source?
And how does Math teachers being unrepentent Marxists have any pull in your argument anyway?

It's an obvious fact that the left is doing way more disinvitations, I really don't see how that can be disputed, even anecdotally.

Source?
If it's obvious then clearly you have ALL the disinvitations and the reason for such in a quick and digestible form for all to see.

Thanks a lot. I'm by no means a moral compass I fuck up in life and online quite a bit, but I appreciate the understanding.

The logic behind it was part of my own moderate political ideology and general attitudes towards intolerance from both the left and the right.

In the world I lived in before I watched that video I thought it was just a guy who was scared and worried for the future of our country.

Now I take my statement back. Ignore my comments as I am in the wrong here. The prize goes to the more informed and I most definitely am not it.

I appreciate people like you. Thanks for understanding.

I'm fairly left myself I just hate people on the left bashing the right because they have different things they think are important. Those things may be short sighted, but pointing that out won't do anything towards changing their mind so I try and just end left-bashing or right-bashing if I see it.

Sometimes that right-bashing turns out to be justified.

Sometimes one of your favorite youtubers is a racist.

Sometimes you make an ass of yourself online.

All in a days work.

In my ideal future all communication is done with gifs. Lol.

Except it's none of those or any type of "mistake". You're not unique, you're like the 200th person between this thread and the last thread to barge into spout your garbage of "both sides are the same", "some times the right is wrong but the left is a bunch of unbending crazies!", "people too sensitive and over exaggerating again!". No, you knew what you were doing in trying to do by coming without knowing anything and give your spiel of how much you hate the left and how they're all SJW and overreacting losers over everything. Congrats you felt the need to rush to the defense of a blatant bigot in a thread about the disgusting shit he's said, just so you could get that little self satisfy smug remark about how terrible the left truly is. Congrats.

That is not a reputable source. Try again. Also also of this while you're at it.

Dude, the left has always had a boner for murder and justifying the killing of other people. Why do you think they're so rabidly pro-death penalty?

Aquillion

I don't find Heterodox even the tiniest bit reputable, no. They represent someone's entirely-unsubstantiated opinions and personal feelings, with zero reputable data or research to back them up; and even among opinion-blogs, I'd classify them in the "crazy kook" category. To me, the fact that you consider them reputable for anything severely hurts your case.

I don't agree with your assertion that colleges are biased at all, and I completely and unequivocally dispute your implicit assertion that the left is less likely to listen to speakers it disagrees with - consider how many left-wing speakers are invited to conservative Christian institutions, for example. You're just spilling out your gut feelings about the left here, not anything useful or relevant to reality.

I will point out that you are apparently arguing that we should disregard all of academia (because you personally feel it's biased, based on, I guess, your gut feelings) in favor of your favorite blog. Again, this ties into what I said above - your absolute insistence that you have to know everything has manifested itself in extreme anti-intellectualism; you're literally arguing that all science and all academic research is unreliable compared to your gut and the random selection of blogs that give you a warm fuzzy feeling in your gut. I am sorry to be the one to tell you this, but no, your random angry-ranting-conservative blog is not on-par with the entire academic establishment, reputability-wise.

In other words, you admit I'm convincing and you can't substantiate your right-wing smears. Come on, man. You used a vapid talking point you read on a blog somewhere and got called out for it. It's all right to be wrong now and again (and you are very, very wrong here), but you have to at least admit it when it's this obvious. When you're reduced to saying "yeah, well I saw it on a blog somewhere, and I know this goes against all reputable research and all of academia, but they're biased", you've basically ceded every single point. Is this view of the left really, really important to you? Like, is your entire perspective on politics based on "I saw this on a blog somewhere, and it felt right?"

I know you want to feel smart. I know you want to feel like you have some deep secret understanding of politics beyond what the man is willing to tell you. But a vapid buzzword like that mined from some shitty rant on a right-wing blog isn't a constructive way to approach conversations about politics.

I don't find Heterodox even the tiniest bit reputable, no. They represent someone's entirely-unsubstantiated opinions and personal feelings, with zero reputable data or research to back them up; and even among opinion-blogs, I'd classify them in the "crazy kook" category. To me, the fact that you consider them reputable for anything severely hurts your case.

I think it's important to point out that while they do provide data that seems to at least ... not be made up, a.k.a. I trust the numbers to be accurate; they don't actually do what should be done with it.

Milo being the cause for the huge uptick by himself is heralded in their comments and general story as some sort of courageous act of defiance.
In proper research that would be a statistical error causing significant issues with the data.
They're presenting flat numbers to show an increase & to basically push the political agenda set, but they seem to forget that standard errors and outliers need to be explicitly mentioned and discussed for a reason?

The dataset is about as reputable as this: http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations
Do I believe the numbers on spurious correlations are correct? Probably, I assume they use good data.

But that doesn't mean they're actually using it in a proper way.

brinstar

Oh wow.

Oh yeah he's definitely been known as an ass in online circles for a while. It's just it was mostly contained on Twitter, or ableist and sexist shit, which I think people have a lot easier a time making excuses for (sadly)

It's pretty hard to go to bat for him on this one though, and it's spilled out all over. So now way more people are taking notice.

Arkage

Banned
Why?

Source?
And how does Math teachers being unrepentent Marxists have any pull in your argument anyway?

Source?
If it's obvious then clearly you have ALL the disinvitations and the reason for such in a quick and digestible form for all to see.

Political bias in college faculty:

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic1063342.files/Sociopolitical diversity in psyc 01.pdf

http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/te...o Scientific Hell Paved With Good Moral I.pdf

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...sup1spanadiv/A54AD4878AED1AFC8BA6AF54A890149F

And I already linked to heterodox, which depends upon a voluntary database for data collection of university disinvitations. Not sure why people keep asking for data when I've literally linked the best available data on the subject.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic1063342.files/Sociopolitical diversity in psyc 01.pdf

http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/te...o Scientific Hell Paved With Good Moral I.pdf

And I already linked to heterodox, which depends upon a voluntary database for data college of university disinvitations. Not sure why people keep asking for data when I've literally linked the best available data on the subject.

Because it's rubbish data. It being voluntary excludes it completely. It is a complete set of data or not? I have no idea why you think heterodox is reputable. I asked for university level sources, there's no university in the world that would accept that in the footnotes. It's just a blog you happen to agree with using incomplete data to push an obvious preconceived agenda. There's no evidence it's reputable or is a good basis for fact whatsoever

And I already linked to heterodox, which depends upon a voluntary database for data college of university disinvitations. Not sure why people keep asking for data when I've literally linked the best available data on the subject.

In terms of the increase of reports, Heterodox itself briefly notes (albeit then seems to forget) that the self-reporting nature of FIRE means that more familiarity with it may be the result of more reports, rather than an actual increase.

It suffers from the same issue as "more people have cancer/autism, so there must be more of it due to some reason!"; when a lot of it might simply relate to an increase of reports or a change in metrics.

This is the difference between a carefully crafted dataset in high level research, which is designed to eliminate as much noise as possible; And waving around a few numbers you agree with.

I think on face value I don't think it's too shocking that protests at colleges generally lean left of the speaker being protested, as young college-aged kids should statistically speaking be on the left side of the political spectrum almost by definition.

Aquillion

I think it's important to point out that while they do provide data that seems to at least ... not be made up, a.k.a. I trust the numbers to be accurate; they don't actually do what should be done with it.

Milo being the cause for the huge uptick by himself is heralded in their comments and general story as some sort of courageous act of defiance.
In proper research that would be a statistical error causing significant issues with the data.
They're presenting flat numbers to show an increase & to basically push the political agenda set, but they seem to forget that standard errors and outliers need to be explicitly mentioned and discussed for a reason?

The dataset is about as reputable as this: http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations
Do I believe the numbers on spurious correlations are correct? Probably, I assume they use good data.

But that doesn't mean they're actually using it in a proper way.
For the reasons you said, I don't view "here's a random chart showing some data I threw onto it" to be reputable. There's a reason why peer-review is important; if we're trying to prove a broad social trend, it requires a lot more care than that. Every angry political blog is full of charts and figures that they say prove their points, but producing useful data out of all that requires a lot more work.

Again, blogs like that appeal to people who want easy answers.

And, again, to get back to my main point, the implication of their argument is "all of academia, across all institutions everywhere, is biased and corrupt, and this one random blog is able to show the truth." Even if we allow such implausible claims to pass a sniff-test, it's not a very useful starting point for discussions - so going around trying to push talking points based on that position as though they're commonly-accepted is deceptive at best.

My opinion is that a lot of these memes - from "politically correct" to "cultural marxism" to "regressive left" - were created and pushed by conservative anti-intellectuals who recognized that the basic argument I outlined above was a nonstarter, and who decided to try and give their smears an intellectual veneer by creating authoritative-sounding terms for them.

I mean, it sounds so snappy, right? So it has to be backed by serious research and has to represent a serious understanding of politics. And, again, it becomes incredibly appealing to people who want to feel like they understand The Truth without having to question or discard their prejudices and without having to put in the hard work necessary to really get a handle on complicated issues.

Mael

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...sup1spanadiv/A54AD4878AED1AFC8BA6AF54A890149F

You explained nothing about why heterodox is a valid site for anything when anyone who would want to discredit the source would just have to basically quote them.
heterodox said:
We share a concern about a growing problem: the loss or lack of ”viewpoint diversity." When nearly everyone in a field shares the same political orientation, certain ideas become orthodoxy, dissent is discouraged, and errors can go unchallenged.

To reverse this process, we have come together to advocate for a more intellectually diverse and heterodox academy.
I guess we need to form a group of equal shares between flat earthers and the other scientists now!

Similarly your link :
is absolutely garbo if only for this :
When politically motivated, are disinvitation attempts more likely to come from the left of the speaker or the right of the speaker?
Basically if a neonazi was disinvited by people who are in the GOP it counts as from the left and if a trostkist is getting thrown out by Dems it count as from the right.
this tells us basically nothing of value.
I won't comment on the value of the article when the very metric it is based on is so useless to begin with.
This stuffs would be shredded by any journal worth its salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom