• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Wow my buddy's box was nuts.

OAonQsl.jpg

This could've been the box I picked out. Gonna draft with my box tomorrow but man its gonna pale in comparison. D:

noquarter

Man, Scalding Tarn has been the bane of my fetch cracking.

Went through three boxes of Zendikar and only opened one. Two boxes and a draft of MM3, none (one guy opened two in the draft at my table, foil and a non foil)

ajf009

Man, Scalding Tarn has been the bane of my fetch cracking.

Went through three boxes of Zendikar and only opened one. Two boxes and a draft of MM3, none (one guy opened two in the draft at my table, foil and a non foil)

With the money you spent on cracking boxes you could have a couple playsets instead

noquarter

With the money you spent on cracking boxes you could have a couple playsets instead
I know. Part of me is still upset I let it get away when it was cheap (trying to get a playset for $40 after rotation) and I really don't have any decks that I want it for.

I could also trade into it if I really want to get it. Was more that for some reason that particular fetch has evaded me both times it was a rare in a pack.

Sad News
I’ve just found out that Mike Davis has died. I’m sure most of you are saying to yourself “Who’s Mike Davis?” And what does he have to do with Magic? The answer is quite a lot.

Mike Davis was one of Richard Garfield’s best friends and was the one who convinced him to go to Seattle to try and sell his game Roborally to a tiny company called Wizards of the Coast.

Roborally had too many components for Wizards to produce but the CEO, a man named Peter Adkison, said he was interested in a card game that could be played in between role playing sessions. Richard said he had an idea he would throw together.

Mike Davis would later take a job at Wizards of the Coast as the Vice President of R&D. Of his many accomplishments, he was the man who hired me.

Mike has fought cancer for many years and sadly lost his battle with it today.

I would like to ask every Magic player to take a moment to bow their head for a man who was directly responsible for the game’s very existence.

Goodbye Mike. You will be missed.

: (

ajf009

I know. Part of me is still upset I let it get away when it was cheap (trying to get a playset for $40 after rotation) and I really don't have any decks that I want it for.

I could also trade into it if I really want to get it. Was more that for some reason that particular fetch has evaded me both times it was a rare in a pack.

Yea i understand, i've just opened a couple too many boxes over time that end with a bad taste in my mouth

Santiako

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - I don't like the Gatewatch. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

Hard to believe, but I have to make the next OT in just a week. I'm calling for thread title suggestions again.

Last round of suggestions started around here.

Ones I liked a lot:
Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Planes with sand ain't nothin to f*ck with
Magic |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

May I suggest

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - PseudoGods of PseudoEgypt

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - I don't like the Gatewatch. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.
If not for length, I'd be for this one. So good.

noquarter

I'll post the list I ended up taking here in a bit. Went 0-3 drop, 80~ people ended up showing up, more than was expected.

Was playing Merfolk, and just wasn't getting good opening hands at all.

Match 1: 4C Hatebears?, not really sure what the deck was.

Game one I kept a hand with 2 Cursecatchers, 2 Islands, Mutavault, a lord and a Dismember. He was able to get gifts out on turn 3, as I picked up lands and a Spreading Seas. Turn four Elesh Norn kept me from getting back in the game. Game 2 kept a bad hand and lost a race, died Turn 6 with Townshipped Finks, Scooze and Birds. Pretty sure he sided out a Gifts package since I didn't see any Islands the second game.

Match 2: Knightfall.

Lost game one on a turn three Combo. At this point wishing I ran relic main instead of Dismember. Game two he won extending faster than I could and with a Gavony Township hitting his ramp creatures (2 Heirachs and a BoP). Was wishing I had a Vapor Snag when I got him to one life.

Match 3: Affinity.

Game one I lost to the nuts. Dude had two Galvanic blasts and finished up on turn 3. Game 2 I could have won when he misplayed, but I let him go back, knowing it would kill me. Was by far the best hands I had picked up for the day in this match, but just didn't really care since it seemed like today was not my Magic day.

Overall think I should have spent more time with the deck before going. Sounds like all decks were represented there. Will go back next week, will probably put Vapor Snag or Echoing truth in the 75 somewhere.

On the return of core sets
ihaveakramp asked: Yesterday you asked what parts of the core set we would like to see return, here's my answer. I would like a simple box set which contains playsets of 5-10 utility cards which are not in standard-legal block sets. Here's an example for a BFZ-SOI-KLD-AHK Set: Relic of Progenitus, Hero's Downfall, Dissolve, Searing Spear, Pacifism and Arbor elf. None of these cards fit with the feel of the worlds we are currently visiting, but would improve standard by adding a little graveyard hate and removal.

Graveyard hate missing is not because of the lack of a core set.

Also, while Amonkhet spoilers don't start until next week, there is going to be a reveal of some kind tomorrow.

bigkrev

Boy, Maro is getting a bit passive-aggressive with these questions now

quincognito asked: Just to be clear: is there recognition in R&D now that whatever the reason was for not including graveyard hate in Standard, it was a bad reason and this choice was a mistake?

How about we wait until we know the reason before deeming it wrong.

Which is really strange because standard was fucked enough that they needed to ban cards with all the information we currently have, of course it was a fucking mistake, but they aren't admitting to it.

red13th

Seriously though. What could this magical reason for the utter lack of GY hate even be? Seems very unlikely that they made those shitty choices because they had a master plan.

In fairness, I was being kind of rude with the question to start with, lol. He really isn't the right person to answer, but that kind of realization really should filter out to everyone in R&D. If you try to get cute about something like this and it wrecks competitive format, you need to know not to get cute about it next time, even if your particular job isn't usually to care about competitive balance.

Also, while Amonkhet spoilers don't start until next week, there is going to be a reveal of some kind tomorrow.

Sadly this will probably just be the English version of the card we already saw. (Although at least that'll mean people can answer questions about it.)

Seriously though. What could this magical reason for the utter lack of GY hate even be? Seems very unlikely that they made those shitty choices because they had a master plan.

I doubt it's that complicated, presumably it's like "Amonkhet has a graveyard theme that's hate-heavy so we decided to go light on it in SOI so those themes could get their shot but then get tamped down for SOI's last cycle in standard." That's all a fine idea if everything is balanced right, but an awful idea when it's broken like this.

red13th

Also I hate that they postponed the big announcement day by three months, the expectation of Eternal Masters 2 made me sleep better every night.

Joe Molotov

Which is really strange because standard was fucked enough that they needed to ban cards with all the information we currently have, of course it was a fucking mistake, but they aren't admitting to it.

We're entering "you will be ashamed of your words and deeds" territory.

Oh, sweet. After going a crazy 12-0 over the first day and a half at GP Orlando, Chris Pikula squeaked into the top 8 at 12-1-2. That's a Pro Tour invite and one step closer to his much-deserved HoF election!

Hard to believe, but I have to make the next OT in just a week. I'm calling for thread title suggestions again.

Last round of suggestions started around here.

Ones I liked a lot:
Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Planes with sand ain't nothin to f*ck with
Magic |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Amonkhet - You fool! You've activated my Egyptian God Card!
Amonkhet - One Thousand and One Gatewatchian Cards

We're entering "you will be ashamed of your words and deeds" territory.
Amonkhet - The graveyard actually breathes through its card advantage

Ashodin

Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - It's Pharaoh, Jay, not Pharoah.
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Fools Rush In
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Masterpiece Theatre
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - After Ten Thousand Years I'm Free
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Planeswalk Like an Egyptian
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - I Hate Sand, It Gets Everywhere
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - What if Gods Were One of Us?
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Wherever You Go, There He Is
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Dragons Move in Mysterious Ways
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - No Bolas, I don't want to hear about your pyramid scheme
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Trial Run
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - The Amazing Race, MTG Edition
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - He's a dragon, man
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Desert, Anyone?
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Sand, Sun, and Sacrifice
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Blood On The Sand
Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Only reason I'm here now is because Bolas chose me

last one is a Nas reference

Yeef

Amonkhet - Prepare for Foreseen Consequences
Amonkhet - Grave Consequences
Amonkhet - Pyramid Scheme
Amonkhet - I'm the Osiris* of this shit!
Amonkhet - Shift your arm then you pull it back
Amonkhet - The Gatewatch is in DeNile

*(replace Osiris with the applicable Amonkhet God)

Amonkhet - Brendan Fraser is Gideon Jura in The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Planeswalker

I guess just "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Planeswalker" would actually fit.

I kind of feel like it's more appropriate for Hour of Devastation.

BTW, I decided to use "Only whores can save us" for the mechanics section discussing god cards.

Ashodin

I kind of feel like it's more appropriate for Hour of Devastation.

BTW, I decided to use "Only whores can save us" for the mechanics section discussing god cards.

Really? I mean It's the Final Countdown or something like "You can't play the Song of Time to stop this one" for Hour of Devastation will be there.

Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - No Bolas, I don't want to hear about your pyramid scheme

works on so many levels. First we know it's Bolas' plane, second they have a hero's trial scheme going on... It's great!

Pundere

I've seen people speculating Exert may be 'double tap' in that the creature doesn't untap during your next untap step. I'm hesitant to think it's 'Put a -1/-1 counter on this' because that turns this thing into four Flame Slashes and 6 damage for 5 mana over four turns.

The demon seems pretty sweet. Dunno if it's good enough to get there in standard but Cathartic Reunion, Advanced Stitchwing, Collective Brutality, and Haunted Dead are all very real cards. Hell, going Olivia turn 3 into this guy turn 5 makes it a 6/5 flier with haste that gives all your opponent's creatures a -1/-1 counter. Or him with 6 mana Chandra's wheel ability as a one-sided wipe.

It's not like graveyard hate would really salvage the current Standard format anyway. The decks that took advantage of the graveyard like GB Delirium and the Prized Amalgam decks have all been pushed out of the competitive meta by now. Scrapheap Scrounger is the biggest graveyard value engine in Mardu Vehicles, but it's not nearly the biggest problem with that deck.

Maledict

I've seen people speculating Exert may be 'double tap' in that the creature doesn't untap during your next untap step. I'm hesitant to think it's 'Put a -1/-1 counter on this' because that turns this thing into four Flame Slashes and 6 damage for 5 mana over four turns.

The demon seems pretty sweet. Dunno if it's good enough to get there in standard but Cathartic Reunion, Advanced Stitchwing, Collective Brutality, and Haunted Dead are all very real cards. Hell, going Olivia turn 3 into this guy turn 5 makes it a 6/5 flier with haste that gives all your opponent's creatures a -1/-1 counter. Or him with 6 mana Chandra's wheel ability as a one-sided wipe.

It's not going to be double tap surely? That either means you have to put a marker on the creature (which is confusing as hell in an environment with heavy counter usage) or you have to remember it's double tapped which adds an easy to forget state based requirement to the game.

I'm betting on the -1/-1 counters myself, that seems to make the most sense and would fit the themes that we know of / suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom