• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN New Years Showcase Trailer | PS4, PS VR, XB1, PC

mcz117chief

The reason Ace Combat 7 exists is all thanks to the whales of Ace Combat: Infinity who are spending hundreds of dollars on that game for two years straight now (and other people like me who spent around 80€).

A moment of silence for the great whales of Infinity. The unsung heroes of the Ace Combat universe.

Assault Horizon is awesome

glaurung

The reason Ace Combat 7 exists is all thanks to the whales of Ace Combat: Infinity who are spending hundreds of dollars on that game for two years straight now (and other people like me who spent around 80€).

A moment of silence for the great whales of Infinity. The unsung heroes of the Ace Combat universe.

Assault Horizon is awesome
Agreed. Infinity is a good example of avarice and malice toward a starved fan though. The grind in that game was soul-crushing at best.

And no you did not just call Ass Horizon awesome. That was the biggest screw you to AC fans you could think of. Snoozefest helicopter missions, bonkers auto-pilot dogfight mode that wrenched all control away from the player. And you could not take down those aces without using the dogfight mode. That music was dope though. And I even cared for the story, as nonsensical as it got.

mcz117chief

Agreed. Infinity is a good example of avarice and malice toward a starved fan though. The grind in that game was soul-crushing at best.

And no you did not just call Ass Horizon awesome. That was the biggest screw you to AC fans you could think of. Snoozefest helicopter missions, bonkers auto-pilot dogfight mode that wrenched all control away from the player. And you could not take down those aces without using the dogfight mode. That music was dope though. And I even cared for the story, as nonsensical as it got.

I still play Assault Horizon from time to time, much more than the previous games. I adore the dogfight mode. Although I agree that the helicopter missions are meh. Overall I still love it, just like all the other Ace Combat games I played (2, 4, 5, 6, 0, Skies of Deception, Assault Horizon and the arcade machines like Mach Storm)

Anyway, the grind in Infinity isn't even soul-crushing level, it's far FAR beyond that. It took me almost two years to get to my dream plane and get it to lvl 7 (out of 20).

Ace Combat 3 blows though

AmyS

I still play Assault Horizon from time to time, much more than the previous games. I adore the dogfight mode. Although I agree that the helicopter missions are meh. Overall I still love it, just like all the other Ace Combat games I played (2, 4, 5, 6, 0, Skies of Deception, Assault Horizon and the arcade machines like Mach Storm)

Anyway, the grind in Infinity isn't even soul-crushing level, it's far FAR beyond that. It took me almost two years to get to my dream plane and get it to lvl 7 (out of 20).

Ace Combat 3 blows though

I had to google Mach Storm arcade to see what that was, I can't believe I hadn't heard of it. Seems to have music from arcade Air Combat 22.

Mach Storm Ace Combat Assault Horizon: The Arcade Experience

ZykKYkU.jpg

KQff1zH.jpg

emH42pv.jpg

mcz117chief

I had to google Mach Storm arcade to see what that was, I can't believe I hadn't heard of it. Seems to have music from arcade Air Combat 22.

It's awesome, man. I played it in Italy last summer and I blew all the high scores to the moon. A real Ace Combat player showed them how it's done. I am so hardcore that I picked Tokyo (the hardest mission) as my first, finished all the bonus objectives and scored the highest on the leaderboards :)

The atmosphere inside the cabinet is INSANELY awesome, man. It's loud, visceral and they also have air vents that blow a gust of wind at you when you engage afterburners. It was like playing After Burner in the old cabinet but 10 times better.

And also, you fly in a CFA-44 Nosferatu, which is one of the coolest planes in the series.

Do we know yet if there will be a new Hori Flight Stick for this?

Also I can't repeat enough how disappointed I am that PSVR will not be supported for the whole game. The cutscene excuse makes no sense, RE7's cutscenes are shown as a 2D image in cinema mode and it wasn't a problem.

Also I can't repeat enough how disappointed I am that PSVR will not be supported for the whole game. The cutscene excuse makes no sense, RE7's cutscenes are shown as a 2D image in cinema mode and it wasn't a problem.

Probably performance problems.

TheRed

Exciting didn't think this was coming to PC.

I hope it won't be a year wait though for PC VR support like RE7 :(

glaurung

Some new tidbits about the game from an interview.
  • All plane instruments will now provide real time information. In the older games, only the attitude indicator usually worked.
  • Special emphasis is put on lighting effects, like shooting off missiles at night etc.
  • They use trueSKY to generate the clouds. Resource heavy implementation.
  • New hardware allows for a 200 km view distance. However, clouds and other items will obscure it most of the time.
  • They experimented between a fixed VR HUD and one that moves with the player. It is now fixed in place to reduce dizziness.
  • Unmanned aerial vehicles use maneuvers that would be impossible to a human pilot.
  • One of the weapons available
    is a laser cannon that gives the player an edge over the unmanned craft

glaurung

Another day, another AC7 article. Here are some of the tastier morsels.
  • The player will be able to play both sides of the conflict. Doesn't specify whether this is down to choice or the way the narrative unfolds.
  • Multiple protagonists.
  • Mentions playable flashbacks to historic events, e.g. Stonehenge.
The rest of it is the same as the previous interview, reaffirming fixed VR HUD, dramatic lighting effects in VR and cloud rendering still being worked on.

Ark

I didn't realise this was coming to PC. I am beyond hyped for this now! :D

AC at 1440p/60fps yes please!

Keasar

Since it won't come with full VR support for the main campaign, -any- chance we might see it later implemented?

There has to be some reason for why it's not in the game and I can't seriously think of one, possibly cutscenes? Just put the player during then in some fake cinema or something, I dunno.

JCH!

Is there an estimated launch date for this? I haven't seen any so far, maybe I missed it.

(Please let it be this year)

No date announced yet, I guess we will hear more at E3?

This...or rather, flight stick support is what will determine if I get it on PS4 or PC. Would prefer PS4 for trying the PSVR stuff, but it's just not the same using a controller.

AmyS

Some new tidbits about the game from an interview.
  • All plane instruments will now provide real time information. In the older games, only the attitude indicator usually worked.
  • Special emphasis is put on lighting effects, like shooting off missiles at night etc.
  • They use trueSKY to generate the clouds. Resource heavy implementation.
  • New hardware allows for a 200 km view distance. However, clouds and other items will obscure it most of the time.
  • They experimented between a fixed VR HUD and one that moves with the player. It is now fixed in place to reduce dizziness.
  • Unmanned aerial vehicles use maneuvers that would be impossible to a human pilot.
  • One of the weapons available
    is a laser cannon that gives the player an edge over the unmanned craft

Another day, another AC7 article. Here are some of the tastier morsels.
  • The player will be able to play both sides of the conflict. Doesn't specify whether this is down to choice or the way the narrative unfolds.
  • Multiple protagonists.
  • Mentions playable flashbacks to historic events, e.g. Stonehenge.
The rest of it is the same as the previous interview, reaffirming fixed VR HUD, dramatic lighting effects in VR and cloud rendering still being worked on.

This is all awesome stuff that I wasn't aware of. Easily my most anticipated game yet to be released this year.

Hopefully PS4 Pro is fully supported.

Also - Namco, may we please have the F-15 S/MTD in AC7?

This is the best art I've ever seen of it.

KUvGbtv.jpg

Top Bottom