• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja Dom

Nas is amazing. he hasn't made a good album in like fucking 20 years now or some shit. but man he can still go off on the occasional guest verse.

if only he didn't have such a trash ear for production. somebody send him a folder full of alchemist beats or some shit.

Yup. All true.

Andre 3K is obviously one of the most talented/greatest Hip Hop artists of all time with multiple classics under his belt and a pseudo-solo album with The Love Below, so this isn't a hate comment as I believe he deserves a lot of the praise he receives, as much as any rapper I love.

But do you believe features are a bit overstated because of his general mystery/lack of a "genuine" solo-album and how to most they're like a monk coming down from a mountain to bless the world before retreating back into solitude, in a way that they wouldn't be received if he was generally active like other rappers, or is that really just the case for any artist (I say this as a massive fan of his Pink Matter feature)?

LionPride

Banned
Andre 3K is obviously one of the most talented/greatest Hip Hop artists of all time with multiple classics under his belt and a pseudo-solo album with The Love Below, so this isn't a hate comment as I believe he deserves a lot of the praise he receives, as much as any rapper I love.

But do you believe features are a bit overstated because of his general mystery/lack of a "genuine" solo-album and how to most they're like a monk coming down from a mountain to bless the world before retreating back into solitude, in a way that they wouldn't be received if he was generally active like other rappers, or is that really just the case for any artist (I say this as a massive fan of his Pink Matter feature)?
I wouldn't say ovestated as he gives good features, but people put a lot of stock into them. Him being on Scott's album? Frank's? Twice? People put stock into this person who has never done a solo album and is known as a great rapper within the hip hop community because he doesn't do his own thing. It's because it's 3 Stacks on a song that people will view it differently at first.

Actual cover for Joey's new album
C8HngtEXsAAwAw5.jpg

I rarely ever hear what people are talking about when they accuse a rapper of biting somebody else's style, one of the only exceptions to that was when I first listened to "Deeper Than Money" off of Bobby Tarantino, it was such a blatant Kendrick bite that I was legitimately disgusted by it, I could barely listen to the track.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If you had my love
And I gave you all my trust
Would you comfort me?

tumblr_o13rh0ic5E1ry5urko1_500.gif

Take another sip, watch the room spin
Emotions are all under lock
All of my emotions unlocked
All of my emotions unlocked

tumblr_om00uryHE61t9dweto1_500.gif

I know I'm worth, I know I'm cursed
I hit the turf like a play on the first
You never mattered, no, you never mattered
You never mattered, no, you never mattered

tumblr_nj7nmi63HV1slaspwo1_500.gif

Take a picture
As long as we're together
We'll keep it going strong

On and on
On and on and on
On and on

tumblr_nh1r43Liqs1s6hrz6o1_250.gif

wow!
ppl still read nahright?
Gets the job done, might be closing in on like 10 years at this point
never commented so I wasn't one of those who were butthurt and left after the comment section purge

I feel like some of this backlash on King Kendrick post TPAB (from a minority of people) is more related to the acclaim/supposed "deepness" of TPAB compared to GKMC rather than the actual quality of the album, especially when they attack it for not having "fun" tracks or being repayable when it has bangers/smooth tracks/and chill tracks.

Nibel

For some reason I completely missed the release of this

I have no clue what to think of Tory; he seems to lack a clear identity and gets involved in too much fuckery, but when that man puts in work

4S4RLXn.gif

Koozek

I rarely ever hear what people are talking about when they accuse a rapper of biting somebody else's style, one of the only exceptions to that was when I first listened to "Deeper Than Money" off of Bobby Tarantino, it was such a blatant Kendrick bite that I was legitimately disgusted by it, I could barely listen to the track.
Oh, you wanna know what biting is? Here:
For some reason I completely missed the release of this

I have no clue what to think of Tory; he seems to lack a clear identity and gets involved in too much fuckery, but when that man puts in work

4S4RLXn.gif

I feel like some of this backlash on King Kendrick post TPAB (from a minority of people) is more related to the acclaim/supposed "deepness" of TPAB compared to GKMC rather than the actual quality of the album, especially when they attack it for not having "fun" tracks or being repayable when it has bangers/smooth tracks/and chill tracks.

He's constantly hailed "great" by critics and hardcore fans when in reality I get the impression most people didn't like TPAB and probably don't think GKMC is miles ahead of [insert whatever other great rap album has come out in last decade]. He has zero radio presence outside of guest appearances (most of which are BAD btw, as seen by the fact that his verse is entirely cut from Goosebumps which is a hit record now). He doesn't tour outside of festivals, which suggests he's not able to sell out major venues on his own.

And in general rap has moved on. This current atmosphere is all about Future, Thug, Kanye, etc. This is a post Pablo era, no one has time for what Kendrick is doing.

I'd go further and say Big Sean could probably take him in a battle. Sean's verses are concise and make sense, and he has punchlines. That matters in a rap battle. Kendrick hasn't had a QUOTABLE verse since Fucking Problems.

Koozek

He's constantly hailed "great" by critics and hardcore fans when in reality I get the impression most people didn't like TPAB and probably don't think GKMC is miles ahead of [insert whatever other great rap album has come out in last decade]. He has zero radio presence outside of guest appearances (most of which are BAD btw, as seen by the fact that his verse is entirely cut from Goosebumps which is a hit record now). He doesn't tour outside of festivals, which suggests he's not able to sell out major venues on his own.

And in general rap has moved on. This current atmosphere is all about Future, Thug, Kanye, etc. This is a post Pablo era, no one has time for what Kendrick is doing.

I'd go further and say Big Sean could probably take him in a battle. Sean's verses are concise and make sense, and he has punchlines. That matters in a rap battle. Kendrick hasn't had a QUOTABLE verse since Fucking Problems.
Damn. But true, tbh.

j-wood

Gotta admit, I don't completely disagree. I respect TPAB for it's message, but I really couldn't stand listening to it. The beats were kind of grating to my ears and didn't really mesh well with his flow, but that's just my opinion.

Same thing on the new track he released, at the beginning of it. The jazzy stuff I just personally don't care for, and the back half of that song magnitudes better because it has what I consider a more proper beat to flow on.

Bacon

You laid it on too thick here

OG Kush

Is Nines good? :thinking:
Nines the UK rapper? At first I wasn't the biggest fan but the more my friends played him the more I started to like some of his stuff. Still not his biggest fan but he's got some decent stuff. Some people I know love him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom