• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

"onesyllable"-lands are fine- Shock-land, man-lands, fast-lands, check-lands.

The whole "lets pick an obnoxious name that's too long to say and doesn't communicate anything well" thing recently is new.

Bounce lands, pain lands, check lands -- I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I like 'bicycle' because it literally says it. It is more than one syllable though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They're cyclelands. Anything else previously going by that name gets demoted to "Lonely Sandbar cycle" or "Urza's Saga cyclelands"

Bicycle isn't happening. Nothing is happening but Cycleland and nobody cares that there used to be other cyclelands.

Tunoku

FNM went well, but only 4 rounds today. Most of the store was playing Commander. 4c Saheeli is a ton of fun to play, I went 3-0 and then drew against GB in the finals unfortunately. Another 4c player ran the Delirium variant with Ishkanah and Ballista, and went 4-0. I think I'd play that version if I had the cards.

One of my matches was against RB Eldrazi and man let me tell you, 5/5 Thought-Knots ain't no joke. Super close win that was decided by a Chandra plus in game 1 and a Saheeli plus in game 2. I was pretty happy with my play in general today, decided to race in a couple of key situations and it went well. I have the tendency to hide behind my creatures with grindy decks like this one.

Also, those lands are DOPE. I love em. Just a feel good cycle overall. Basic land types are such a nice bonus.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I only just realized that shocklands reference the card "Shock."

I must need more coffee this morning...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The reason none of the other stupid cutesy names for dual cycles caught on is that those lands don't see enough play to need a generic name.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
This image on Reddit made me laugh:

0OgV4bb.jpg

Daedardus

You need green mana to cast spells like Primeval Titan, Summoning Pact, Rec Sage, Reverly/Natural Claim/Naturalize, etc.

I know, I just somehow got the impression that you were talking about casting Scapeshift. Probably because of the mention of two forests and the card costing GG.

Well, if you're expecting Blood Moon, it's not like you can't float the Mana in response unless you're playing Rec Sage as your answer, which is . Iffy to me

Santiako

The biggest thing these have against them in Valakut decks is that they always enter tapped. We're already not running the full 4 Stomping Grounds 4 Cinder Glades since there's no need and these would go even after those.

The biggest thing these have against them in Valakut decks is that they always enter tapped. We're already not running the full 4 Stomping Grounds 4 Cinder Glades since there's no need and these would go even after those.
Fair enough. Might make DredgeShift be a thing potentially though, since it's Card Draw stapled to land you pitch.

Splendid Reclamation Valakut becoming Tier 1 Deck in Modern confirmed /s

Probably should have led with "April Fools" when there are legit card reveals.

EDIT: Stealth deleted.

EDIT: For those curious, it was a fake Aftermath card. It was a white mythic rare, with the top being a sorcery, and the bottom being an Elspeth planeswalker. I didn't get a good look at either.

I don't even have patience for people's dumbfuck April Fool's garbage this year, get that shit outta here.

In other unfortunate news: Shawn Main (aka the best designer at WotC) has his last day today, since he's bouncing for Riot Games. I think we can officially say WotC has a retention problem at this point.

don't they have super low pay for industry standards?

Definitely lower than equivalent jobs at video game companies though it's not clear exactly how much. Based on years of Glassdoor reviews their tech people are underpaid enough to complain about it, while people in R&D or adjacent jobs seem to mostly be unhappy about more intangible stuff (corporate culture, executive meddling, idiotic lawyer-driven policies, etc.)

Crocodile

I totally did not expect these lands to have basic land types. It feels WOTC is more willing to use basic land types on dual land cycles nowadays. Nice :)

Next draft.

CPmA0Kh.png

Official page
Amonkhet set information
Previous topic: Aether Revolt (OT10)

INTRO
Welcome to the Multiverse! Multiple worlds exist side by side in different dimensions, known as planes, and they are as different as night and day. All of them, however, have a form of magical energy known as mana. Most residents of these planes are unaware of other worlds, but there are some special beings with the ability to safely travel between them, known as Planeswalkers.

Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. The game quickly became a hit, and it is currently bigger than it has ever been. You and your opponent play the role of dueling Planeswalkers, using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other Planeswalkers you can call in to help out. Whoever can get every opponent down to 0 life wins.

This time, we visit the Egyptian mythology world of Amonkhet, featuring mummies, gods, and a graveyard theme. Now, let's dive into Ancient Egypt!
reY7fwE.gif

Banned and Restricted List Update - For the first time in years, cards have been banned in Standard:
* Emrakul, the Promised End
* Smuggler's Copter
* Reflector Mage

But many still consider Standard to be a mess right now, and people expect more cards to be banned at the next update. Felidar Guardian is very likely to be banned, and many say Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is possible too.

GETTING STARTED
If you're a beginner, feel free to come in. Us regulars can get a bit technical with card evaluations and use a lot of jargon, and many of us will loudly proclaim that a cool-looking card is junk, or say that a lame-looking card is really powerful, so ask us if you want an explanation.

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series (now discontinued), where Day[9] battled various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

To get started, check out the official page. Basically:
* It's recommended that new players play Magic Duels (thread). It's a great way to learn the game on your own, and it's free!
* After that point, the act of deck building can be intimidating, so it's recommended that you try out a preconstructed deck and customize it with other cards you get, before you start making your own from scratch. Planeswalker Decks are preconstructed decks that come with four unique new cards, including a new Planeswalker card. If you have a friend to play with, there are also Duel Decks that provide two decks for a game right out of the box, but are a bit more complicated.
* To get your physical collection started, buy a Deck Builder's Toolkit, which includes not just a starting collection of cards (including a lot of lands), but also some booster packs and a good box to store cards in. The Holiday Gift Box provides an even larger starting collection and better storage.
* The different play formats can be found here. The most popular formats where you start out with no deck and have to make them from scratch (Limited) are Draft and Sealed. The most popular formats where you bring a 60-card deck ahead of time (Constructed) are Standard, Modern, and Legacy. Casual play has no restrictions other than what your friends decide. Once your skill advances, another popular way to play Magic casually is Commander.
* While game stores will often hold Magic events at other times, every store that has Magic events will have Friday Night Magic. There, you will be able to find other players in your area to both have matches with and trade with. Find game stores here. And to get started participating in your local game store (LGS) scene, attend an open house or prerelease event!

OPEN HOUSE AND PRERELEASE
While the set won't officially be sold until the release date, that isn't the first time you can get your hands on the new cards. Game stores will hold Magic Open House events specifically meant for new players, with people there to give you simple Welcome Decks and teach you how to play.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the prerelease event held for every set. You play in the Sealed format, where every player is given a box with six booster packs and a random additional rare card. From this pool of cards, all of which you keep, each player builds a deck of 40 cards and participates in a Swiss-system tournament. This is a fun and casual event, where everyone is still trying to figure out the set, so don't worry about messing up. In addition to normal duels, there are also Two-Headed Giant events, where you pair up with another player and face off against another team.

The Magic Open House will be on April 15, 2017. Prerelease events will be held on April 22-23, 2017. Call your local game store a few days ahead of time to register for the prerelease, or they might just run out of room. Find local game stores here.

YavUo78.png

STORY
Lore introduction
Amonkhet story

Amonkhet is a harsh desert world where everything that dies is cursed to rise again. People gather in oases, magically protected from the sand and horrors, raising warriors to go through the Trials of the Five Gods and thus gain their favor.

After halting the plans of the evil dragon Planeswalker Nicol Bolas on Kaladesh, the heroic Gatewatch have decided to confront him on Amonkhet, where he is worshiped as God-Pharaoh. The Gatewatch hope to catch Bolas off guard, but can they stand a chance when everyone in the world is against them?

Story archive
Planeswalker biographies

CARD THEMES
Only whores can save us
On Amonkhet, the gods walk among the people as a constant presence. There are five god cards, each a single color.

LVG5xbQ.gif

Mummies Alive!
What is an Egyptian world without mummies? In fact, the people of Amonkhet often welcome death.
en_QRANZDgwCH.png
en_Npe8YOnalQ.png
unwaveringinitiate.jpg

Creatures with embalm are willing to be mummified after they die, thus unusually becoming white-aligned zombies. Exile them from your graveyard to create a token copy, except it is monowhite and a zombie in addition to its other types, and it has no mana cost. Surprisingly, every single embalm creature has its own token, which you can get in booster packs. If you don't get the right one, then some booster packs feature punch cards with "embalmed" markers that you can overlay onto the mana cost of your original creature card, thus representing the token.

giphy.gif

URRRRRRGH
en_vbAlnqwftr.png

When certain creatures attack, you may exert them. If you do, they put a bit more effort into their attack and trigger a special ability, but they then have to rest and thus don't untap for your next turn. Of course, if you give the creatures vigilance or untap them with a spell or ability, then there's no cost at all! Some booster packs will feature punch cards with "exerted" markers that you can put on your creatures as reminders not to untap them.

Here we go again
shelteredthicket.jpg
en_k0mok73dwN.png
renewedfaith.jpg

One of Magic's most frequently used non-evergreen mechanics is back! There are times when a card in your hand just isn't useful at the moment, and almost anything could be better. Cards with cycling may be discarded to draw a new card, sometimes with a bonus effect.

q6IbjDg.gif

The hell is this?
duskdawn.jpg

It's a split card? But what's going on with the layout? The top half of the card can be cast from your hand, but for the bottom half with aftermath, you can cast it from and only from your graveyard, whereupon you exile it. The key to the layout is that when it's in your hand, your eyes are drawn to the text on the top half, and while its in your graveyard, you can stick the bottom half out of your discard pile and thus always know it's there.

Don't give a damn about my bad Invocation
Battle for Zendikar, Kaladesh, and every block after all have a special set of reprints known as masterpiece cards. They are printed at a rarity higher than mythic rare, but have no unique cards and don't affect what's in Standard. Each set's masterpiece collection is foiled with a special themed frame, and the past two have been very well received. Amonkhet masterpiece collection is known Amonkhet Invocations. Let's see how amazing they are!

Oh no.... oh no no no...
en_8xVT1Dii2h.png
en_ZbTm78AKff.png
en_rvN8G6mhrS.png

N7tLhKu.gif

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Recommended columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors; and Latest Developments, written by various Magic developers. The other articles generally discuss deck building. For older articles before the site changed, go here.
Official card list - Best way to see all of the spoiled cards together, but only updates once a day.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
MTG Salvation's Rumor Mill - The best place to get new card information. The community sucks, though.
Mythic Spoiler - A good way to see what cards have been spoiled, updates throughout the day.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards. Has autocomplete.
Magidex - The better search method, with bigger cards, but it doesn't have autocomplete.
Game store locator

PREVIOUS THREADS
Aether Revolt (OT10)
Kaladesh (OT9)
Eldritch Moon (OT8)
Shadows over Innistrad (OT7)
Oath of the Gatewatch OT (OT6)
Battle for Zendikar OT (OT5)
OT4
OT3
OT2
OT1

SCHEDULE
Amonkhet
Start of spoilers - April 3, 2017
Full reveal - April 14, 2017
Magic Open House - April 15, 2017
Prerelease - April 22-23, 2017
Release - April 28, 2017
Magic Online Launch - April 24, 2017
On Sale in Magic Online - April 28, 2017

Grand Prix Mexico City (Team Limited) - April 7-9
Grand Prix Richmond (Limited) - May 5-7
Grand Prix Bologna (Limited) - May 5-7
Grand Prix Beijing (Limited) - May 5-7
Pro Tour Amonkhet (Standard, Draft) - May 12-14
Grand Prix Montreal (Standard) - May 19-21
Grand Prix Santiago (Standard) - May 19-21
Grand Prix Copenhagen (Modern) - May 26-28
Grand Prix Kobe (Modern) - May 26-28
Grand Prix Omaha (Standard) - June 2-4
Grand Prix Amsterdam (Standard) - June 2-4
Grand Prix Manila (Standard) - June 2-4

Commander Anthology - June 9, 2017
Grand Prix Las Vegas (Legacy, Limited, Modern) - June 15-18
Archenemy: Nicol Bolas - June 16, 2017

Hour of Devastation
Estimated start of spoilers - June 18, 2017
Full reveal - June 30, 2017
Prerelease - July 8-9, 2017

Oo1MKBnHQA.jpg

tumblr_inline_mt1uliQAJD1qz4rgp.gif

Ashodin

YOU HAVE TO USE

Magic: The Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - No Bolas, I don't want to hear about your pyramid scheme

come on it's awesome

Tunoku

Loam seems to be spiking, so I panicked and ordered 3 copies for 50€. Am I crazy? I kinda wanted to build Dredge, so that's why.

I got one for EDH months ago for roughly €8. Thankfully no modern deck on the radar I'd need 3 more for.

Merfolk vs 8-Whack is a rough matchup. 3rd game on the draw I was all the way down to 5 vs 20 when I recovered and swung twice for lethal and that was after being down to 2 game 2 and swinging for lethal with 3 mutavaults and a Master of the Pearl Trident. In other words I got super lucky.

Now I know how people feel when I drop a MoW. Pro Blue on Piledriver is a bitch.

Santiako

APRIL FOOLS ITEMS
APRIL FOOLS ITEMS
APRIL FOOLS ITEMS

MTGGoldfish: SaffronOlive walks us through an exclusive gameplay preview of Magic Digital Next, with a bonus Against the Odds featuring Zepher Falcon https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/magic-digital-next-exclusive-sneak-peek

EDHrec: There is a new most popular commander on the site. Enjoy nearly 2600 decks featuring Chandler!
https://edhrec.com/commanders/chandler

I posted an April Fools thing yesterday (Ryan Yee's fake Elspeth card) and it got deleted two minutes later. Charlequin hates April Fool lol

Angry Grimace

You might as well write a mechanics section for the split card mechanic.

The art in the leaked card was in the story article on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom