• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Top 16 from the Modern Classic

Such a weird collection of decks lol

Zombies! Faeries! Hardened Scales!

I was going to say that it was probably not a large tournament, but then I check and it had over 350 players.

G/B/x Death's Shadow is objectivly the best deck in the format, but if you aren't scrapping for every pro point, there are like 50 different Modern decks you can play and expect to put up a strong performance with right now. It just comes to preference and familiarity

bigkrev

I know it's a weird collection, but I have to laugh at Blue mages getting all salty about Blue being Unplayable when it's in about half of those decks, lol.

It's not that Blue is unplayable, it's that a traditional blue counterspell draw-go counterspell deck isn't viable. You can play control, but you usually are going Grixis and running threats like Tasigur

It's not that Blue is unplayable, it's that a traditional blue counterspell draw-go counterspell deck isn't viable. You can play control, but you usually are going Grixis and running threats like Tasigur
Oh, I know that Reactive Blue sucks, but you'd swear listening to certain communities (Cough MtgSalvation) that Blue is absolutely garbage right now because no Twin.

The biggest issue is that Proactive Cards(Thoughtseize and the like) are so much stronger then Counterspells in the early game and how the defacto Counter(Mana Leak) gets worse the longer the game goes on. I don't think Control decks need any help closing the game out, mind you. UW Control alone has access to the 3 Best finishers in the Format. I think they just have the issue that in order to reach the late game they have to play absolutely perfectly and even if they do it's still a crapshoot.

Idk how Wizards fixes this, but the Stabilization for Control comes online about 2/3 turns late IMO.

Supast4r

I was going to say that it was probably not a large tournament, but then I check and it had over 350 players.

G/B/x Death's Shadow is objectivly the best deck in the format, but if you aren't scrapping for every pro point, there are like 50 different Modern decks you can play and expect to put up a strong performance with right now. It just comes to preference and familiarity
Faeries also has good matchups against a lot of tier 1 decks right now (scapeshift, deaths shadow, good game 2 against burn, etc) It's back to its tier 2.5 power level it used to have when twin dominated because faeries vs twin was a 8-2 matchup in faeries favor.

Joe Molotov

Played an 18-person GPT this afternoon with Skred. I beat Sultai Delirium, Mono White Enchantments, and the Skred mirror (lol) and lost to Blue Tron, to go 3-1-1. Lost to Burn in the Top 8. It was a fun day, I like playing Skred. Mainboarding Blood Moons and killing people with Stormbreath Dragons feels pretty good.

A control shell that actually reacts to the meta and builds around it is viable, a draw-go deck that just wants to play the same handful of generic "reactive" control cards isn't. That sounds like someone stumbled on a good formula to me.

I'll never understand people who want to play a completely generic control and denial deck. If the point is to feel like you're smarter and more in control than the other player, surely actually building around other meta decks should factor into that, rather than purely masturbatory deck construction.

Santiako

pDkOnGg.png

Yooo that's some insane card advantage.

I don't know why you are sure we will see her homeworld

Showing us the homeworld of a protagonist-style character is the single simplest and most effective strategy they have available to them for introducing a world. It's a limited resource, they're not gonna have anyone who's supposed to be a major hero type (and Elspeth's getting to pull a resurrection routine so she definitely qualifies) come from a world they don't intend to visit at some point.

Could be from the new Archenemy set.

New Archenemy set has zero new regular-size cards.

duxstar

I really pray they ban copycat, they brought enough hate for mardu i feel, but theres very little they csn do about a turn 4 combo deck short of banning something.

Alot of these cards feel like they would be fun in their own set. Just bring back a viable non copycat midrange deck, i miss the abzan days.

pDkOnGg.png

Yooo that's some insane card advantage.
Yo this looks insane with Prophet of Kruphix. Too bad Prophet's banned in EDH instead of the real problematic cards(Hint: I think EDH would be infinitely better if Sol Ring/Mana Crypt and their kin were banned because too often is it "Whoever gets these Turn 1 wins" because of them snowballing)
This plus Oracle of Mul Daya could get really, really silly.
Wait, why not Courser? I mean,

Yeef

Courser doesn't give you extra land drops.

I find it interesting that they went with the Jwar Isle Sphinx ability rather than revealing the top card like other similar cards. It's a change that I like a lot, but I worry that it might cause gameplay errors. It's not uncommon for people to forget to un-reveal the top card when the ffect ends (usually because the creature dies). I won't be surprised if people forget that this left the battlefield and peak when they can't.

It's kind of less interesting in a way, because playing with the top revealed is at least exchanging information for limited extra card access. Yes, it's a trade you're going to take basically every single time, but it's still a trade.

I'd rather there was at least that semblance of a trade-off on an ability this powerful, even if it isn't going to dissuade anyone in a realistic sense.

Yeef

C9BYi_tU0AA7oq5.jpg

Liliana's Expertise 3BB
Enchantment, rare
Zombies you control get +1/+1
When ~ enters the battlefield, create two 2/2 zombie tokens

It doesn't let you cast a free four CMC spell from your hand?

I kind of would have liked it if it read, "All non-zombie creatures get -1/-1" instead, as it seems like it would better fit Liliana as a character, her in-print cards as support, and the mechanical themes of the set.

traveler

Not Wario
Two 3/3s is decent board impact for 5. While its def high Cmc for an anthem, at least you're not taking off a turn from building your squad to do it. Not a terrible top deck either.

Garruk's horde got a lot cheaper. Wonder if this is playable in standard this time around.

Prophet of kruphix is ridiculously strong in any mp format. Take an extra turn during each opponents turn is just busted. Single biggest draw to play ug.

Supast4r

Yo this looks insane with Prophet of Kruphix. Too bad Prophet's banned in EDH instead of the real problematic cards(Hint: I think EDH would be infinitely better if Sol Ring/Mana Crypt and their kin were banned because too often is it "Whoever gets these Turn 1 wins" because of them snowballing)

If anything edh needs more bans for green cards due to its dumb power level. Profit isn't coming off the banlist for a reason.

That Vizier of the Menagerie, holy crap!

You know you have an Egyptian Themed block when a Yu-Gi-Oh Mechanic is imported into Magic.

No, but seriously, this is Aroma Strategy.

Edit: this guy needs shroud plonked on him the second he ETBs, cause he's an enormous target.

Ashodin

yay spoilers start early

also is this new?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/products/hour-devastation/products

Not the page, but the tagline "Unleash your endgame"?

Unleash is a mechanic.

for reference:

Storm Scale Rating: 4

If this mechanic wasn't as unpopular as it was, it would probably be a 3. Unleash plays well, is easy to design and develop, and is flavorful. The trick is going to be finding the environment that will help make it shine.

If anything edh needs more bans for green cards due to its dumb power level. Profit isn't coming off the banlist for a reason.
Green needs more bans in EDH, but my point about Sol Ring/Mana Crypt being unhealthy for the format are true. Both cards lead to acceleration that can't be matched without them that cause a Turn 4 for the guy who got both to be much, much different then one for the guys who didn't.

Also, it's Prophet, not Profit. The only Profiteering Commander is in UW :p

I've honestly never had much problem with acceleration in EDH compared to blatantly cheating in creatures. Most of the methods people use to cheat fatties into play aren't even that mana-intensive, anyway.

I'm assuming the tagline is not in fact a clever mechanical pun, and there will be neither Unleash nor new Archenemy cards. It's just part of the Bolas push, probably.

Bolas is going to be great for Summerslam.

Ashodin

1491769045_3.jpg

3W

Oketra the True

Indestructible, Double Strike

Can't Attack Or Block unless you have three other creatures

3W: Create 1/1 Warrior with vigilance

3/6

Damn. She's GOOD. You can definitely have three dudes by turn 4.

I should get Italian versions of God cards just so I can see "Legendary Creature--Dio".

As long as you're on the offense (and if you're playing white weenies, you'd better be), you technically only need two creatures when she hits the board. No Haste, so next turn she can make her own third squadmate before she swings.

I could play a couple of her in my Red/White Humans Aggro, maybe. The obvious problem is she's fighting with Big Poppa Gideon to get that 4-drop mono-white spot.

Violet_0

Banned
white weenie finisher, guess that deck will see some play in standard especially if there are some good embalm creatures. Also immune to nearly all removals

active ability isn't great but hey more targets for walking ballista

Ashodin

I should get Italian versions of God cards just so I can see "Legendary Creature--Dio".

As long as you're on the offense (and if you're playing white weenies, you'd better be), you technically only need two creatures when she hits the board. No Haste, so next turn she can make her own third squadmate before she swings.

I could play a couple of her in my Red/White Humans Aggro, maybe. The obvious problem is she's fighting with Big Poppa Gideon to get that 4-drop mono-white spot.
If Gids gets the axe, you'll have room.

She is crazy generic, though admittedly I didn't expect Double Strike. I was sure it was going to be Vigilance, because that's really Maximum Generic for White.

I'm still hoping beyond hope the next set brings tri-colored Gods since we already got a good spread of dual-colored ones in Theros block. If it's a Bolas deck, it's only fair we go full-on shards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom