• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

p5d.jp & p5u.jp domains registered by Atlus on April 18

Minsc

Gold Member
In Japan the Vita is selling well, but in the west it is essentially dead. Not to mention the Switch is legitimately stronger and better suited to P5 than the Vita.

It doesn't hurt that the Switch is doing well worldwide, while the Vita is spotty at absolute best outside Japan.

In terms of sales, they'll likely sell more if they release the updated version on Switch -
a growing system - than otherwise, that simple.

I don't know if I'd call the recent Vita sales in Japan "selling well," it's been doing what, 5k / week, vs. the Switch's 45k (which is more a reflection of limited inventory than actual demand)?

I went all-in for P4 spinoffs and I only regret it now - I'm not big on fighting games, and I thought DAN was a poor rhythm game, so ultimately all the spinoffs did for me is sour my opinion on a game I really loved.

I really, really like P5, so I'm not making the same mistake twice.

Also: why do people think an enhanced port of P5 is inevitable, in a world where they can just add new features and content through patches and DLC? This isn't the PS2 era.

Every main Persona has been put on a handheld console, the better question is why should I think this one will be any different?

Persona 3 should have been possible on PSP as well and yet Portable's presentation got heavily downgraded.

Once again, I imagine that file size would be the major issue here. Persona 5 is 16GB on PS3, Vita cart sizes only go up to 4GB (apparently with only 3.3 GB actually being usable). I have my doubts that additional compression alone would be enough to reduce P5's file size by roughly 13GB.

This is another good point. Even beyond the unanswered question of releasing a large game on hardware that is discontinued (frankly the idea of a big Vita release in the US in 2019 or 2020 is pretty funny), is it really feasible to get the filesize down to 3.3 GBs? And at what cost would that come at? No more multiple VA languages for sure, and plenty of compromises elsewhere, hardware power issues of the Vita aside. Switch has none of those issues, so for the vast majority of people who play it on a handheld, it'd be a far better choice than striping it down for Vita.

I see Atlus preparing to milk P5 like they did with P4
not that I mind though;
finishing P5 only made me want more adventures with its characters and P4's spinoffs were of good quality

I saw someone say "Persona 5 Rouge" on Twitter, and I can definitely see them going with that.

I've been coming up with jokey versions of what AG could stand for all day. Kind of bummed we're not actually going to get Persona 5 Agriculture or Persona 5 Attorney General.

Jb

I'm really curious to see if they'd use the Deluxe edition of P5 as an excuse to put it out on other platforms like Switch and PC.
I've always wondered if Persona being on Sony consoles and SMT on Nintendo's was their way of maintaining good relationships with both constructors or if there's another reason for the split.

Guess Who

Banned
Every main Persona has been put on a handheld console, the better question is why should I think this one will be any different?

I'm not saying there won't be a Switch port (in fact, I think that's more likely than not), I'm saying I don't think there's any reason for that version to have new content or features that the existing version doesn't get like P3P or P4G had.

I'm not saying there won't be a Switch port (in fact, I think that's more likely than not), I'm saying I don't think there's any reason for that version to have new content or features that the existing version doesn't get.

Hifumi Togo was originally a party member, so that could probably be included, for example.

muteki

Love another dancing game but I'd rather they change the system to be closer to project diva (like P4d was initially) than the edge-of-screen note thing.

Also, they have to figure out how to get any character to dance any song.

ChrisD

I say bring on the P5 Dancing just so I can buy a soundtrack of remixes. That was the sole reason to buy P4D('s Special Edition wherein you proceed to sell the game itself, because you weren't bright enough to just buy the CD online).

A dancing spin-off would make sense, since they did design completely new outfits for the characters in the Dancing All Night DLC instead of just giving them the outfits for the Persona 4 cast.

My preferred p5d game though is *Endgame Persona 5 spoilers*
Persona 5: Defense. I mean Sae does quit being a prosecutor to become a defense attorney. Persona 4 got a fighting game and a rhythm game, an Ace Attorney esque visual novel starring a side character doesn't sound that outlandish.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Persona 5 Sapphire has the better cover exclusive.

In ten years they'll switch because Omega Ruby has the better one.

FluxWaveZ

Persona 5: Defense. I mean Sae does quit being a prosecutor to become a defense attorney. Persona 4 got a fighting game and a rhythm game, an Ace Attorney esque visual novel starring a side character doesn't sound that outlandish.

The "starring a side character" part does sound quite outlandish, even though I'd be interested in something like this.

Eylos

Banned
A dancing spin-off would make sense, since they did design completely new outfits for the characters in the Dancing All Night DLC instead of just giving them the outfits for the Persona 4 cast.

I want this spin off :(((

Make It dojima + sae

StereoVsn

Vita comments are pretty amusing. I love my Vita, have 2 of them and PS TV, and yet it's still dead.

P5 with updated content for Switch and separate PS4 re-release are likely as well as the myriad of spinoffs. As far as P3 Complete, I doubt Atlus is interested. They could have some decent sales though if they ported P3 FES (with P3P features) and P4G to Switch/PS4, I believe.

PC is not happening.

Weebos

Banned
Vita comments are pretty amusing. I love my Vita, have 2 of them and PS TV, and yet it's still dead.

P5 with updated content for Switch and separate PS4 re-release are likely as well as the myriad of spinoffs. As far as P3 Complete, I doubt Atlus is interested. They could have some decent sales though if they ported P3 FES (with P3P features) and P4G to Switch/PS4, I believe.

PC is not happening.

An HD version of P3 was one of the options in their customer survey, so I think it is at least on their radar.

We should make a poll about what the next Persona 5 related project is going to be :
  • Ultra Persona 5 Arena Ultimax : The Final Challenge - a Smash Bros like game with all of the series' character.
  • Persona Racing, where all the characters go happy karting with Nyarlatothep and all and the items are personas, Mara would act like Bullet Bill.
  • Persona 5 Apocalypse / Final : Where we play the ragtag group of PHANS, led by Mishima. The Phantome Thieves are in the game but they're way too cool for you to play as.
  • Picrossona 5 : a Persona-themed nonogram game. I'd actually play that.
  • Persona 5 Center : where we play the doctors trying to treat the victims of the shutdown syndrome.
  • Persona 5 Builders : In order to win, you have to build you own palace.
  • Persona 5 Phantom Thieves Vs Investigation Team : a 3DS dungeon crawler where the P4 cast try to catch the P5 cast. Hilarious hijincks ensues
  • Persona 5 Portable : a freemium smartphone app where you can get characters and personas via gatcha. Fan favourites have a chance of 0.0000001% to spawn.

Unknown?

In Japan the Vita is selling well, but in the west it is essentially dead. Not to mention the Switch is legitimately stronger and better suited to P5 than the Vita.

It doesn't hurt that the Switch is doing well worldwide, while the Vita is spotty at absolute best outside Japan.

In terms of sales, they'll likely sell more if they release the updated version on Switch -
a growing system - than otherwise, that simple.

You could have said the same about the PS3 and especially the Wii, due to it not being much more powerful, for P4 though but they still put it on PS2. At that time PS2 was dead. Dedicated gamers had moved on and it wasn't selling well. Not to mention the DS and 3DS were better choices than the PSP/Vita. Heck P5 was going to be PS3 only until it got uber delayed. I'm just saying they don't pick the hottest system as a basis for deciding what to put their games on, if they were going to port it to a Nintendo system because it was doing hot why didn't they do it before?

Raytow

You know whats funny about this: every main Persona game has been on a Sony console/handheld, why should I think this one will be any different?

I actually liked most of the remixes in P4D, but I'd really rather that not be a thing again to be honest.

Of course, that means it WILL be a thing, and as I am a whore for Persona, I will buy it.

*sigh*

Qurupeke

We should make a poll about what the next Persona 5 related project is going to be :
  • Ultra Persona 5 Arena Ultimax : The Final Challenge - a Smash Bros like game with all of the series' character.
  • Persona Racing, where all the characters go happy karting with Nyarlatothep and all and the items are personas, Mara would act like Bullet Bill.
  • Persona 5 Apocalypse / Final : Where we play the ragtag group of PHANS, led by Mishima. The Phantome Thieves are in the game but they're way too cool for you to play as.
  • Picrossona 5 : a Persona-themed nonogram game. I'd actually play that.
  • Persona 5 Center : where we play the doctors trying to treat the victims of the shutdown syndrome.
  • Persona 5 Builders : In order to win, you have to build you own palace.
  • Persona 5 Phantom Thieves Vs Investigation Team : a 3DS dungeon crawler where the P4 cast try to catch the P5 cast. Hilarious hijincks ensues
  • Persona 5 Portable : a freemium smartphone app where you can get characters and personas via gatcha. Fan favourites have a chance of 0.0000001% to spawn.

Persona 5: The Dark World, starring Loki.

Minsc

Gold Member
You know whats funny about this: every main Persona game has been on a Sony console/handheld, why should I think this one will be any different?

If it's Vita that's fine, but there are valid unanswered questions I posted below that are good arguments against it, and I can't really imagine it on Vita now because of those. If Vita is not feasible or possible, then there's no other choice than Switch, so Switch. I guess nothing is a choice too. Switch is much better than Vita, so it would be preferable on Switch, but it is what it is (or will be).

Top Bottom