• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silexx

No Canadian PM is ever going to say stuff like that when the country's economic wellbeing depends on Trump not rocking the boat too much.

I don't think we're gonna Trudeau ever publicly decry Trump, but he is going to subtweet the shit out of him.

It's kind of crazy to realize that, while objectively a bad person, Brad Trost isn't close to being the worst person running for CPC leader. For a party to be in power for a decade and have this collection of dummies be the best they can come up with is a pretty huge indictment of Harper's time in office.

In the end their desire to beat Trudeau will lead them to support him anyway. Same happened with Trump.

Kevin O'Leary is the least popular Conservative politician in Canada:

CPC-politicians-with-CPC.png

Note that's just among Conservative voters. When you ask the general population what they think of him, he's already at an abysmal -23 favourable/unfavourable rating:

When a politician gets less popular the more people see of him/her, that doesn't bode well for their election chances. I don't entirely disagree with you that some Conservatives may think O'Leary is the only candidate of the 14 who can take on Trudeau, but I'd argue that outside of maybe Kellie Leitch, he might just be their worst option -- and Leitch may even be better, since she'd at least solidify the base they had the last time out.

No Canadian PM is ever going to say stuff like that when the country's economic wellbeing depends on Trump not rocking the boat too much.

Yep. Arguably the most important task any PM has is keeping the Canada-US border as free-flowing as possible, since so much of our trade and investment depends on the US. It makes it pretty difficult at the moment, since the current President is so wildly unpopular here (and everywhere else), but anyone hoping Trudeau will pull a Love, Actually moment and tell Trump off is misguided.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
pointless gif

Being a neighbour of the US and Denmark has been very pleasant for Canada.

So has been laying low for the most part in international disputes and just doing peacekeeping (or if necessary, military intervention) from time to time. Canada thrives by keeping the rest of the Anglosphere and the European Union close but conducting its own policy quietly when necessary.

Now, you might not like one member of the Anglosphere much (and given your avatar, that's pretty obvious), but it's also pretty irrelevant to my comment. Canada isn't special, we do a lot of things very well, but nothing better than anyone else.

Silexx

So apparently the Liberals are introducing marijuana legalization much earlier than expected and are tabling the bill in the Hoc on Thursday.

Sean C

So apparently the Liberals are introducing marijuana legalization much earlier than expected and are tabling the bill in the Hoc on Thursday.
The G&M reported this a while ago. It's to get the ball rolling (and because they wanted to have the draft tabled before the symbolic date 4/20; the House is in recess then, so it had to be now).

CazTGG

Being a neighbour of the US and Denmark has been very pleasant for Canada.

So has been laying low for the most part in international disputes and just doing peacekeeping (or if necessary, military intervention) from time to time. Canada thrives by keeping the rest of the Anglosphere and the European Union close but conducting its own policy quietly when necessary.

Now, you might not like one member of the Anglosphere much (and given your avatar, that's pretty obvious), but it's also pretty irrelevant to my comment. Canada isn't special, we do a lot of things very well, but nothing better than anyone else.

Putting aside the I don't see why your evaluation of Canada's relevance in the world boils down to "how many times has Canada participated in a military conflict and/or been the middle man for North America and Europe" as if that's the only way for a country to hold a status in the world. Moreover, it's rather insulting to say Canada has been "keeping it on the low", as if to dismiss what contributions it's made to interventions as unimportant or that conflicts like the Vietnam War were somehow worthwhile ventures for other global powers.

So what you're saying is that loan I took out to buy stocks in marijuana companies will be paying itself off sooner than I thought?*

*Did not actually take out money to purchase shares in marijuana companies

Sean C

Evidently, the government is trying to speed up the licensing process for marijuana suppliers so that the legal market can be sufficiently diverse when it launches in 2018.

The B.C. election is officially underway! Voters there go to the polls May 9th. I'm guessing...minority government, with the Greens holding the balance of power. Any BCers want to provide their insight?

So what you're saying is that loan I took out to buy stocks in marijuana companies will be paying itself off sooner than I thought?*

Even though the legislation is being tabled now, it's probably going to take awhile before it comes into effect. I could see the Conservatives try and jam it up in committee in the hopes they can turn it into a "Won't anyone think of the children?!?!" issue. After that, it'll go to the Senate, where it'll probably be slowed down even more, not least because the Conservatives there are committed to slowing down everything as much as they can. And then, depending on what the framework looks like, the provinces may slow down implementation -- Quebec, in particularly has been pretty vocal about saying that they don't want to be involved.

I know they're apparently aiming for Canada Day 2018 as an end date, but I think late 2019/early 2019 is more likely at this point.

Tapejara

Everyone's favourite CPC candidate Kellie Leitch says that if she's elected Prime Minister, she'll scrap marijuana legalization.

OTTAWA — Conservative leadership hopeful Kellie Leitch says she would look to roll back the Liberal plan to legalize marijuana if she becomes the party's leader and eventually prime minister.

Leitch says marijuana is a "dangerous drug" that should not be legalized due to public health and safety concerns.

She made the remarks during a roundtable interview today with The Canadian Press.

The B.C. election is officially underway! Voters there go to the polls May 9th. I'm guessing...minority government, with the Greens holding the balance of power. Any BCers want to provide their insight?

Even though the legislation is being tabled now, it's probably going to take awhile before it comes into effect. I could see the Conservatives try and jam it up in committee in the hopes they can turn it into a "Won't anyone think of the children?!?!" issue. After that, it'll go to the Senate, where it'll probably be slowed down even more, not least because the Conservatives there are committed to slowing down everything as much as they can. And then, depending on what the framework looks like, the provinces may slow down implementation -- Quebec, in particularly has been pretty vocal about saying that they don't want to be involved.

I know they're apparently aiming for Canada Day 2018 as an end date, but I think late 2019/early 2019 is more likely at this point.

I'd be surprised if the BC Liberals don't increase their seat count TBH. Highest GDP growth rate, lowest unemployment rate, declining home prices (although there might be people who are more angry than happy about that) etc. They have a great record to run on. But I'm terrible at predicting elections.

mo60

I'd be surprised if the BC Liberals don't increase their seat count TBH. Highest GDP growth rate, lowest unemployment rate, declining home prices (although there might be people who are more angry than happy about that) etc. They have a great record to run on. But I'm terrible at predicting elections.

I don't think progressive and centrist voters will vote for the BC Liberals this time. Whoever wins the election may win it with a minority.

CazTGG

You mean aside from having Kellie Leitch as a leader?

After the seismic shift that was the United States most recent election results and the increase in hate crimes following them i.e. spraypainting a swastika onto a synagogue, the "join the alt-right" posters, the Mosque shooting, etc. that were carried out by emboldened bigots coupled with Canada's own history of support for racist, anti-immigrant, right-wing populist parties in federal politics a la Reform Party, to say nothing of municipal elections like Rob "The Asians are taking over/work like dogs" Ford in Toronto or structural racism in Canada, and the fact that the gross Islamophobia was not enough to prevent people from handing the CPC around 32% of the vote under Harper, I would not put it past people to vote in Kellie Leitch's Rise of the Reform Zombies Conservative Party of Canada either in spite of or because of her indefensible rhetoric, especially if the economy doesn't improve in any noticeable manner. However slim a chance it may seem she has of winning the leadership right now, the fact remains that it's possible for her or O'Leary to win a minority or majority government come 2019.

Pedrito

Yeah but Trump, Ford, Le Pen, etc. are/were all charistmatic and can easily con the little guy into believing he's getting screwed by whoever and that they're on his side.

Not only has Leitch zero charistma, but she's awkward as hell and even annoying. There's no way she can sell her campaign against "the elites" without sounding like a big phony.

Le Pen, who has 10 times the charistma and political savy of Leitch, can barely crack 30% in France, a country with much bigger immigration and identity issues than Canada.

If Canada goes the way of the US, it's gonna be through O'Leary. A Leitch-led CPC would have trouble cracking 30 %. Actually, all of you who got CPC membership should vote for her if you want them to lose in 2019.

Tapejara

But does she love TV and movies?

This might be the only issue that could sink a Leitch-led Conservative Party come 2019...which is incredibly sad when you think about it.

I'm not sure what benefit she or the CPC would actually get from promising to repeal marijuana legalization. I feel like it has quite a significant amount of public support,; saying you're against and planning to repeal something so popular is rather counter-intuitive, is it not? Or am I just overestimating how popular legalization actually is?

I'm not sure what benefit she or the CPC would actually get from promising to repeal marijuana legalization. I feel like it has quite a significant amount of public support,; saying you're against and planning to repeal something so popular is rather counter-intuitive, is it not? Or am I just overestimating how popular legalization actually is?

Last august it was around 70%, however now it's polling at 51%.

CazTGG

Yeah but Trump, Ford, Le Pen, etc. are/were all charistmatic and can easily con the little guy into believing he's getting screwed by whoever and that they're on his side.

Not only has Leitch zero charistma, but she's awkward as hell and even annoying. There's no way she can sell her campaign against "the elites" without sounding like a big phony.

Can we please put this myth to bed? Trump has the charisma of a wet sponge and is utterly devoid of any personality, not unless one counts blatant bigotry as a desirable trait. He has never been a charming figure, neither before nor after he entered politics. It was not appealing when he questioned Obama's birth status as an American for blatantly racist reasons. It was not captivating to see him demonize Mexicans and called them drug-dealing, crime-bringing rapists when he announced his candidacy for the GOP. It was not charming to watch him bring up the weight of Alicia Machado, mock Serge Kovaleski for their physical handicap, claim the Central Park 5 were guilty despite being exonerated or any of the other bile he's spewed over the years. There is nothing charismatic about blatant bigotry, yet people voted for him in spite of or because of what he's said. Leitch's lack of charisma aside, not only is she playing a lot of the same cards i.e. "the liberal elite are out of touch", "the media bias against me", "here's an awkward as hell video to distract from something terrible I did/said (in Leitch's case, altering an image of a woman suffering from an eating disorder to state her opposition to M-103)", but she remains one of the frontrunners in this bloated leadership race while having done so. While the ranked ballot makes it less likely for her to be given the party's reins, this:

If Canada goes the way of the US, it's gonna be through O'Leary. A Leitch-led CPC would have trouble cracking 30 %. Actually, all of you who got CPC membership should vote for her if you want them to lose in 2019.

This is dangerous, not only because it could lead to the normalization of her "common sense" bigotry, not only because it would lead to one of Canada's major political parties adopting anti-immigration, xenophobic policies, but because it follows the same mindset of "Ha, Trump will never get elected" that most held under November 8th shocked us all. Leitch should be taken seriously, because however small a chance she may have of clinching the nomination, a victory for her leadership campaign could lead to a victory for her party in the next federal election. That is a bridge we will all be better off leaving uncrossed by stopping her now and stating as loudly as we can that we won't let this happen in Canada, not with her or O'Leary.

As an aside has anyone who did get a membership receive theirs?

EDIT:

Outside of hardcore minority opposed to legalization, i'm not entirely sure since it seems even conservatives are in favor of a softer approach to marijuana laws. It certainly won't win them the support of young voters they seem to desperately want but won't ever receive.

Tapejara

Last august it was around 70%, however now it's polling at 51%.

Interesting. Even with the drop off it still seems weird to come out staunchly against legalization. But then again if this position prove to be detrimental to someone like Leitch then I'm not going to question it.

EDIT:

Outside of hardcore minority opposed to legalization, i'm not entirely sure since it seems even conservatives are in favor of a softer approach to marijuana laws. It certainly won't win them the support of young voters they seem to desperately want but won't ever receive.

Yeah, I was curious how taking the position against legalization would affect the CPC performance with younger demographics, but I wasn't aware how well they usually do with younger voters anyway.

Sean C

Can we please put this myth to bed? Trump has the charisma of a wet sponge and is utterly devoid of any personality, not unless one counts . He has never been a charming figure, neither before nor after he entered politics.
Trump has a vulgarian charisma, which is why he's been a media celebrity for 30 years, and why he was a hit on reality TV.

His public persona is definitely not that of a statesman, conversely, but his voters didn't care about that.

maharg

idspispopd
Yes, never make the mistake of confusing charm with charisma. Charisma comes in many forms, including charmless ones.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Can we please put this myth to bed? Trump has the charisma of a wet sponge and is utterly devoid of any personality, not unless one counts.
To people with brain cells, indeed. But a significant majority of people are, well, idiots and painfully ignorant, so his vulgar, low-vocabulary, brutish personality does appeal to these people. As well we saw.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chong is asking for voter intent. It makes me wonder if there's some kind of backroom deals happening.

I said I'd do O'Toole and Bernier after him, mostly because I have no idea who else I would even bother voting for.

Can current out of province people like myself vote via absentee ballot? I know federal but not provincial.

Register to vote from outside the province.

You have until May 9th to return your ballot.

I don't think progressive and centrist voters will vote for the BC Liberals this time. Whoever wins the election may win it with a minority.

I think it all depends on the Greens & the Conservatives. If the Greens hold onto their votes on Vancouver Island, that could kill the NDP's chances. If the Conservatives get anywhere close to the 9% that Mainstreet is predicting, that kills the Liberals. Based on my (admittedly very limited) understanding of the electorate, the Green vote is pretty solid, whereas there's no reason to believe the Conservatives are going to crack 1-2%.

Le Pen, who has 10 times the charistma and political savy of Leitch, can barely crack 30% in France, a country with much bigger immigration and identity issues than Canada.

Other people have already jumped on you, so I don't want to pile on, but just remember that Stephen Harper wasn't exactly a charismatic dynamo, and he ran a pretty racist campaign with about a decade of baggage behind it that still got 30%. Leitch is terrible in every way imaginable, but there's still a sizable bloc of CPC voters who are going to turn out no matter what. I'd rather they turned out for someone less awful.

Chong is asking for voter intent. It makes me wonder if there's some kind of backroom deals happening.

I said I'd do O'Toole and Bernier after him, mostly because I have no idea who else I would even bother voting for.

Why is Bernier in there? He may not be as overtly awful as O'Leary/Leitch, but he still combines their ideas with big doses of misogyny and libertarianism.

CazTGG

I honestly don't know anything about any of the other candidates, and he's like the least worst of the ones I do know. lol

Bernier wants to bring back the gold standard.

In 2017.

Because.

Yes.

Really.

This is not a joke.

I mean, one could point to how he plans on defunding the CBC or his almost word-for-word regurgitation of the Reform Party's immigration policy "based on Canada's economic needs" but that is literally all you will ever associate with him from now on. The only "good" quality about Bernier is that he's likely to draw away Quebec support from Leitch, O'Leary and Blaney and thus make the former two less likely to win while ensuring the latter is a near impossibility.

Details on pot legislation have been released:

The proposed Cannabis Act would create a strict legal framework for controlling the production, distribution, sale and possession of cannabis in Canada. Following Royal Assent, the proposed legislation would allow adults to legally possess and use cannabis. This would mean that possession of small amounts of cannabis would no longer be a criminal offence and would prevent profits from going into the pockets of criminal organizations and street gangs. The Bill would also, for the first time, make it a specific criminal offence to sell cannabis to a minor and create significant penalties for those who engage young Canadians in cannabis-related offences.

In addition to legalizing and strictly regulating cannabis, the Government is toughening laws around alcohol- and drug-impaired driving. Under the Government’s proposed legislation, new offences would be added to the Criminal Code to enforce a zero tolerance approach for those driving under the influence of cannabis and other drugs. Additionally, the proposed legislation would authorize new tools for police to better detect drivers who have drugs in their body.

Subject to Parliamentary approval and Royal Assent, the Government of Canada intends to provide regulated and restricted access to cannabis no later than July 2018.

Watching the press conference, they're really hitting hard on the stricter impaired driving laws. I think they realize that the CPC and the Senate are going to try and push back hard on that and on various kid-related issues.

Tiktaalik

WARNING A HUGE EFFORT POST IS APPROACHING FAST

Just like in 2013, Christy Clark and the Liberals aren't terribly popular and this should mean that the NDP have a path to victory, but the BC NDP are a terribly run organization and they have a history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I wouldn't be too surprised if the NDP somehow fail yet again.

A quick recap: The unpopular BC Liberals were expected to lose the 2013 election, but the BC NDP foolishly elected a leader, Adrian Dix, that was awfully close to the unpopular and scandal plagued NDP government of the 90s and that leader decided to take the high ground as the Liberals dragged his name through the muck. He also decided to oppose Kinder Morgan pipeline, which played into the Liberal framing of the NDP as anti-development and anti-everything. Finally the Liberals made a ridiculous promise to develop a liquified natural gas export industry that would create 100,000 jobs. Everyone believed it. Of course it was a total pipe dream, as the experts stated it would be at the time, and the idea of an LNG industry has basically fizzled as natural gas prices have plunged.

Now the NDP have a new leader John Horgan, who seems like a decent guy. The NDP platform is pretty solid, with promises to get rid of the unpopular and regressive Medical Services Plan (MSP) fee, create a $10 a day childcare system, and to ban corporate and union donations. They'd fund this by restoring a top tax bracket the Liberals got rid of, adding 2% to income earned over $150k. Economists seem to think the plan is reasonably costed.

The BC Liberals are basically running on their fiscal record. They're promising no new taxes and a 50% MSP cut that will come out of the surplus. For those unawares, the BC Liberal Party is a big tent that includes both Federal Liberals, such as Christy Clark herself, and Federal Conservative supporters as well. Resultantly the right of centre party acts a bit more like the old Progressive Conservatives than the Trudeau Liberals, focusing strongly on jobs, the economy and low taxes.

The Greens are a bit of a wildcard. Due to the nature of FPTP they could induce some peculiar outcomes in some ridings due to the spoiler effect of splitting the vote. Depending on the riding both the NDP and Liberals may benefit from this. The NDP will have to watch their back on the Island in particular. The Greens focus strongly on environmental issues that are popular on Vancouver Island but have more limited appeal in the rest of the province.

On the topic of FPTP I was surprised to hear John Horgan say on the radio that if the NDP win they'd have a referendum on electoral reform with a 50%+1 threshold of victory and the government would campaign for electoral reform. That would get rid of these vote splitting issues.

The BC NDP have had a pretty good first week. It has not gone un-noticed that the BC Liberal platform seems a bit uninspiring and reminiscent of Stephen Harper's tired last election platform. It feels a bit like the Liberals have run out of ideas.

The BC NDP learned their lesson from the last election and aren't afraid to go negative this time around. There were plenty of anti-Liberal attack ads on HNIC the other night. The NDP is hammering the Liberals over their perceived corruption and the fact that they take in so many corporate and foreign donations. BC has absolutely no limits any sort of donations, foreign, corporate or union. Many people feel the government is corrupt. A recent poll found that 76 per cent of British Columbians agree the Liberal government is ”only interested in helping its political donors and big business." Even the NYTimes weighed in recently, labelling BC, the ‘Wild West' of Canadian political cash.

The most important ridings in play are in the suburban areas around Vancouver and I expect that to be a focus. Already there have been a lot of populist spending goodies that target these areas. For example the BC Liberals and NDP have promised to cut and completely eliminate bridge tolls respectively, much to the chagrin of local mayors that know those tolls are needed to keep a lid on traffic growth.

It will be a tough, uphill battle for the NDP even if everything goes their way. The BC Liberals' simple message of jobs and low taxes is appealing throughout the province and they have been very good in the past at framing the NDP as being anti-growth, anti-jobs and anti-everything.

If it keeps American milk out, i'll pay the extra gladly.

You can have both. We can do away with Supply Management while telling American companies that if they don't fit our regulatory, packaging and health requirements they can STFO until they do.

mdubs

Banned
If it keeps American milk out, i'll pay the extra gladly.

You already do and have been paying a lot. You pay in the tax breaks we give to farmers, and you also pay in the exorbitant dairy prices we endure.

That said, we've been complaining about supply management for longer than Trump has, so this isn't exclusively a Trump thing

gabbo

You can have both. We can do away with Supply Management while telling American companies that if they don't fit our health requirements, regulations and packaging requirements they can STFO until they do.
I dont trust the federal government to drop the one and enforce the other at the same time, or have a plan in the works to do so once supply side is gone.

SRG01

I dont trust the federal government to drop the one and enforce the other at the same time, or have a plan in the works to do so once supply side is gone.

I can totally see Canada and the PMO doing an about face on Trump and just ignoring his demands, while simultaneously leveraging the new EU trade agreements.

The weird thing about the Trump-dairy thing is that it doesn't make any sense politically or economically, as Canadian steel and manufacturing have more of an impact. But then again, Trump is a coward and he's going after the low hanging fruit.

I don't know if it's an example of Trump's cowardliness, so much as it's an example of him being easily distracted by the last thing he read: there was a story about Wisconsin dairy farmers being unhappy with Canadian milk in the Washington Post yesterday, so he decided to talk about it on the spur of the moment. It apparently wasn't in his prepared remarks (according to the Star's Daniel Dale), so this was probably another example of him setting a new policy based on a whim.

Anyway, Canada's response:

CazTGG

I don't know if it's an example of Drumpf's cowardliness, so much as it's an example of him being easily distracted by the last thing he read: there was a story about Wisconsin dairy farmers being unhappy with Canadian milk in the Washington Post yesterday, so he decided to talk about it on the spur of the moment. It apparently wasn't in his prepared remarks (according to the Star's Daniel Dale), so this was probably another example of him setting a new policy based on a whim.

Anyway, Canada's response:

It's a sad day when one government has to tell another that they're not following facts and feel it necessary to point them out.

Also, I thought Cuomo was one of the better ones...

Bernier responding to Trump by doubling down on his support of supply management:

I was very pleased when I saw that you stole one of my best lines by denouncing supply management as an “unfair thing.” I have been making this same point since the beginning of my campaign a year ago.

I agree with you that this protectionist system is unfair for the farmers in Wisconsin and other states, who cannot make a better living by selling their products to their Canadian neighbours. But you will excuse me if I say I am mostly sorry for a much larger group: the 35 million Canadians who are paying on average twice as much as they should for their eggs, chicken and dairy products.

For subscribers: Trump takes aim at Canada’s 'very unfair' dairy industry

Canadian families, especially low-income ones with children, suffer because of the hundreds of dollars in extra cost they need to pay each year to support this system. Isn’t it unfair?

I’m also sorry for the Canadian producers protected from competition by this cartel. It’s actually very unfair for some of them, too.

It's...bold. Probably incredibly stupid, but bold nonetheless.

gabbo

It's a sad day when one government has to tell another that they're not following facts and feel it necessary to point them out.

Facts are detained at the border
Edit: As for Bernier, this will not help him if that's his hope. At least not amongst a wide swath of people not named Trump or who are libertarian

American protectionism spills milk on both sides of the aile

Democrats have been traditionally more protectionist than average Republicans

Trump is not an historical Republican

Sean C

A fifth entrant into the NDP leadership race, retired PPCLI commander and veterans' ombudsman Colonel Pat Stogran.

Will not win, obviously, but he'll bring something different to the race.

SRG01

http://www.680news.com/2017/04/20/trudeau-defends-supply-management-wants-fact-based-trade-talk-u-s/

”Let's not pretend we're in a global free market when it comes to agriculture," Trudeau said Thursday in a question-and-answer session with Bloomberg television that preceded Trump's latest trade invective.

”Every country protects, for good reason, its agricultural industries. And we have a supply management system that works very well here in Canada.... The Americans and other countries chose to subsidize to the tunes of hundreds of millions of dollars, if not billions of dollars, their agriculture industries, including their dairy."

He said the U.S. currently enjoys a $400-million dairy surplus with Canada.

”So it's not Canada that is a challenge here."

http://www.680news.com/2017/04/20/strident-trump-targets-canadian-trade-energy-lumber-dairy/

”We can't let Canada or anybody else take advantage and do what they did to our workers and to our farmers," Trump said in the Oval Office.

”Included in there is lumber, timber and energy. We're going to have to get to the negotiating table with Canada very, very quickly."

It's unclear what specifics he was referring to. On energy, the current NAFTA guarantees the U.S. a fixed rate of Canada's oil production without any import fees. On lumber, cheaper Canadian wood has reduced the cost of U.S. homes but also caused recurring legal spats with the U.S. industry that alleges product-dumping.

He was a bit clearer on dairy. Trump made it obvious his complaints from earlier this week in Wisconsin were specifically about recent rule changes on milk classification, not on the longer-term issue of Canada's supply-management system.

This is going to turn into a shitshow very soon...

edit: To add onto this, NAFTA is the reason why the US enjoys low oil prices: their domestic oil production pales in comparison to what they import on a daily basis and the cost of bringing domestic production up is astronomical. The instant Trump signs an executive order on foreign oil is when the American people will pay through the nose.

kevin1025

Banned
http://www.680news.com/2017/04/20/trudeau-defends-supply-management-wants-fact-based-trade-talk-u-s/

http://www.680news.com/2017/04/20/strident-trump-targets-canadian-trade-energy-lumber-dairy/

This is going to turn into a shitshow very soon...

edit: To add onto this, NAFTA is the reason why the US enjoys low oil prices: their domestic oil production pales in comparison to what they import on a daily basis and the cost of bringing domestic production up is astronomical. The instant Trump signs an executive order on foreign oil is when the American people will pay through the nose.

Let Trump find out the hard way, I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom