• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got bitten by a puppy. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got bit by a dog once. 4 year old adult greyhound. He was mine and just had a grand mal seizure (his first) at 2am and I was freaking out and he was freaking out an I tried to put his leash on and he bit me. I didn't really know what was up with him so I went to the emergency room. It almost needed stiches but not quite; got a tetanus shot like someone in here said.

Turns out the dog was just scared because he just had his first seizure, was probably partially deaf/blind, and his energy was feeding off of my freakedtheheckout energy. There was absolutely nothing wrong with him in regards to diseases that spread, but we did find out that night that he had epilepsy :( :( loved that dog. He passed away of cancer last year.

But anyways op, just wrap it up in something and go to bed. A 2 week old puppy is not going to give you diseases.

OP can you describe the severity of the laceration? By the way you said you "made it bleed under running water" it sounds like the kind of really minor scratch that only bleeds if you squeeze it and force the blood out :/

Krakn3Dfx

646ce74bed389d4e5179a2d83fe36e93.jpg

Puppies, always just waiting for you to slip up, then RIP, Kobayashi Maru.

kewlmyc

You should definitely go to the hospital about it. Also record the reaction of the nurses when you explain your situation.

Midas

Maybe OP meant the friend had the puppy for 2 weeks? I really doubt a 2 week old puppy could bite through someone's skin.

Puppy teeth are super sharp. I've never met a puppy that bite you hard though, but they could probably bite through your skin if they tried.

pa22word

Was it this guy?

Jwxmmc0.gif

Smallest dogs are always the meanest. I swear they got that built in napoleon syndrome.

Meanest dogs I've ever seen have always been chihuahuas of all things. When I was a kid there was a family down the block with a chihuahua named Chago that was the bully dog of the block. Everyone was terrified of that dog, lol...I'll never forget when I was a kid walking home from school one day the thing was chasing a fucking rottweiler down the block. Legit terror in the rotty's eyes like it was being chased by a damned trex xD

SeanR1221

Puppies shouldn't be away from their mothers until they're like 8 weeks. Why are you hangin' with 2 week old puppies.

Also, my dog used to bite me all the time when she was a pup. I'd scream out (like a dog) and squeeze the back of her neck (to simulate a bite back) and she stopped after a few days

I can never tell if these threads are genuine "stuff gaffers say" threads , or just posters trying to make a thread that'll be talked about in the next "stupid stuff gaffers say" thread.
Yeah I can never tell, specially in offtopic.

If spiderman taught me anything OP, is that when an animal bites you, you get dope powers. Just remember to be a good boy, and pick up your poops and you will be fine.

DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE DOG. Tilt your head so the brim of your fedora hides your eye-line. Wipe the blood off on your trenchcoat.

"I promised Master I'd hold back..."

Unsheathe katana.

"But that's just a promise I'll have to break."

killatopak

Gold Member
The wound is pretty small. Half the width of my finger. It is pretty deep though since it bled a lot.

I'm from SEA. I've asked around and it seems people here believe that rabies are stronger when the dogs are pretty young.

I didn't know this constituted as a joke thread but if it feels like it then just treat it as me being paranoid and also sleepy because it 4am.

I read that a puppy's teeth is actually sharper before 5 weeks and it falls off to make the permanent ones grow so yes it does have the ability to puncture.

The puppy was also vomitting something I cleaned it up and fed it some food which led to me being bitten probably because she was excited. Then I read the symptoms of rabies in dogs and saw vomitting so I was pretty paranoid and made the thread.

Puppies shouldn't be away from their mothers until they're like 8 weeks. Why are you hangin' with 2 week old puppies.

Also, my dog used to bite me all the time when she was a pup. I'd scream out (like a dog) and squeeze the back of her neck (to simulate a bite back) and she stopped after a few days

I've learned in this topic that your dog biting you is a common thing. Never getting a dog.

Dude.

It's a two week old puppy that's grown up in a controlled environment

Think for five seconds, where and how would it even get rabies.

Think.

Harmen

If a (grown) dog bites you and the wound is deep, it might be wise to get a tetanus shot, as dog bites generally are not "clean", but in this case that did not apply and everything seems fine.

LordKasual

Banned
Smallest dogs are always the meanest. I swear they got that built in napoleon syndrome.

nope

German Shepards.

I fucking hate those cunts with a passion. I have literally never met one that hasn't wanted to eat me, and i have met more than i've ever wanted to

Eidan

The wound is pretty small. Half the width of my finger. It is pretty deep though since it bled a lot.

I'm from SEA. I've asked around and it seems people here believe that rabies are stronger when the dogs are pretty young.

I didn't know this constituted as a joke thread but if it feels like it then just treat it as me being paranoid and also sleepy because it 4am.

I read that a puppy's teeth is actually sharper before 5 weeks and it falls off to make the permanent ones grow so yes it does have the ability to puncture.

The puppy was also vomitting something I cleaned it up and fed it some food which led to me being bitten probably because she was excited. Then I read the symptoms of rabies in dogs and saw vomitting so I was pretty paranoid and made the thread.

If you die, we'll make sure "Killed by a puppy" doesn't make it on the tombstone.

You're fine.

Hyoukokun

Serious response as somebody who had a massive, irrational rabies phobia:

Odds are very, very low that you're infected with anything dangerous. Still, you should report all animal bites to your doctor. In the short term, the best thing you can do is wash and clean the wound thoroughly (as it sounds like you have) and cover it with a sterile bandage + antibacterial cream like Neosporin.

Next steps are to talk to your general practitioner about the bite; they will make the determination of whether or not you need a prophylactic rabies vaccine. This is urgent but not an emergency - you should aim to see them within a few days. They'll probably recommend that the puppy be put under quarantine / observation for several days (longer if it is unvaccinated). If the dog continues to show no signs of infection, you are in the clear. Otherwise, you will need to get the vaccine, which (thankfully) is not as big a deal as it used to be.

The worst thing you can do is sit there worrying that you are infected with something. Talk to your doctor, they will make sure that you get the care you need.

cakely

Think this through: how could a 2-week old puppy possibly contract rabies?

Also do you have any pics of the puppy? I love puppies and my day could use some brightening.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

How big are your fingers because that's tiny.

Dogs vomit, puppers vomit.

Media

Can we get a picture of the wound? And the symptoms the dog has sound more like parvo than rabies. RIP puppy.

pa22word

I've learned in this topic that your dog biting you is a common thing. Never getting a dog.

Lol dogs biting you isn't common and if you were actually reading the thread you'd understand that.

Puppies (key word there) do nip (extra emphasis here) occasionally because they're teething. Fingers are nice and salty, just the right length too to get a nice surface area across teeth and they're adorable so you're petting the crap out of them so it makes said fingers an easy target.

Can be fixed by buying a 2 dollar chew toy.

Barzul

Serious response as somebody who had a massive, irrational rabies phobia:

Odds are very, very low that you're infected with anything dangerous. Still, you should report all animal bites to your doctor. In the short term, the best thing you can do is wash and clean the wound thoroughly (as it sounds like you have) and cover it with a sterile bandage + antibacterial cream like Neosporin.

Next steps are to talk to your general practitioner about the bite; they will make the determination of whether or not you need a prophylactic rabies vaccine. This is urgent but not an emergency - you should aim to see them within a few days. They'll probably recommend that the puppy be put under quarantine / observation for several days (longer if it is unvaccinated). If the dog continues to show no signs of infection, you are in the clear. Otherwise, you will need to get the vaccine, which (thankfully) is not as big a deal as it used to be.

The worst thing you can do is sit there worrying that you are infected with something. Talk to your doctor, they will make sure that you get the care you need.

Did not know the bolded was thing. Seems like a very specific phobia.

LionPride

Banned

Does GAF just attract overly paranoid people with no sense of stuff

Kirye

Go back to the puppy, bite it back.

I fully expect the "Got bitten by a human. What should I do?" thread in a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom