• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Asylum Mafia |OT| It's time to kill the Bat

Fat4all

Banned
maybe mickd rolled jester

or maybe they were just drunk

also hello, I'm back for the end of the day stretch, what are we discussing currently?

Kalor

also hello, I'm back for the end of the day stretch, what are we discussing currently?

Well, he did claim that he was a Gotham Thug and a Pimp. Based on his behaviour I would believe that there's some truth there.

Fireblend

Banned
Coming with a longer post in a bit but why are people voting for Mazre again? Natiko and Terra's votes on the last page seem super lazy, I'm not seeing it. Is this the equivalent of an inactive lynch?

Dr. Worm

Banned
I don't think it counts as much as you think it counts when you're counting thinking and your count is counting your thinking.

What intrigues you?

I'm intrigued by the attention he's somehow garnered, with his six posts not doing much to intrigue me on their own. Maybe I'm just sympathetic with the indecisive? I was considering standing up for Lifeline myself.

I didn't think this post was an attack?

I've been trying to phrase my questions so they don't look leading; only looking for elaboration. You're reading too much into them

Verelios

He was annoyed. He wanted him to shut up. Didn't work out.

What do you think he wanted to accomplish by seriously voting acohrs? Have you seen the general response to lifeline's theory? How many people you think would have followed? Exactly.
Is this what most people think of Terra's play? Because that's awfully convenient if so and disingenuous if true. Voting against another person to sell a favor, does that seem like the actions of a town player? What he would've accomplished here is either lynching Acorn who he didn't particularly scumread or buddy up to Lifeline, both of which are weird results.

If I had to pick people I'm not sad to see let go then it would be MickD because of his very fast 'get to the limit' posting while somehow also saying nothing much of value and Terra for the above.

Verelios

Well, he did claim that he was a Gotham Thug and a Pimp. Based on his behaviour I would believe that there's some truth there.
Odd that you would mention this unprompted, though there is a chance his posting was a result of the 'pimp' role.

*Splinter

Your head is in the right place because yes, when I first played with Acohrs, things like that did weird me out. Then I learned he plays weird with no rhyme or reason.
First Sketch, now Acohrs. I don't remember it being quite this easy to get a free pass from you

Zippedpinhead: gut read scum, like everytime I play with him. *shrug*

Ever since danganronpa1 you are *splinter tend to align with a gut read against me. For what it's worth, I'm reasonably think you are town (at least for today).

Speaking of *splinter, why exclude him from your list?

Natiko

Banned
Coming with a longer post in a bit but why are people voting for Mazre again? Natiko and Terra's votes on the last page seem super lazy, I'm not seeing it. Is this the equivalent of an inactive lynch?

Beyond tired already of people popping in to call votes lazy without even attempting to follow up on it themselves. My vote on Mazre isn't due to inactivity (if so there are better targets) but due to his complete lack of sharing actual opinions. Just look at these posts:

Checking in.

Greetings to our new players. Is this your first mafia game? Do you have experience playing elsewhere? How do you feel about lynch v no lynch day one? Anything else you'd like to share?

I'm really not seeing scum Kalor at all so far.

I'm also kind of surprised of the number of reads and comments that are being made about activity in general or certain players coasting. We're just barely through the halfway point of a single day phase (36 hours real time, and starting in the dead of night for our Euro folk), but 'shockingly' not everyone has a dissertation about their top scum.

As Fire and Time mention above players do seem to want to stay on your good side during early game. Though given your outsize presence and reputation that's not entirely surprising.

This seems really uncharacteristic for you to step in and offer a defense of someone before they have a chance to respond themselves. Doubly so to base it so heavily in past game behavior.

It's a bit of a mess right now to be honest. Generally speaking I feel better about the players that aren't jumping on every little thing like it's some massive tell. Lot of awkward play going on right now but I can't necessarily attribute much of it as specifically scum behavior.

Lifeline to me is least likely to be scummy. Reminds me a bit of Launchpad back in the day (though he tended to suggest every conspiracy theory rather than dive into just one.)

Both, though I'd say frequent changes of opinion is usually a worse look than sticking to one bad one.

Scum want to blend, drawing attention to yourself with bad play isn't blending. It's not impossible for someone to try to be so outrageous that you discount the possibility of them being scum, but it's also somewhat unlikely. In those cases it's generally prudent to play a wait and see if something else (say voting patterns or other activity) further points towards scum or not.

Throws the lightest shade at Sorian and thinks Kalor and lifeline are likely to be town. The rest is all noise. Talk about what theoretical scum may or may not do. Generic greetings to new players. I mean lets highlight a specific post:

It's a bit of a mess right now to be honest. Generally speaking I feel better about the players that aren't jumping on every little thing like it's some massive tell. Lot of awkward play going on right now but I can't necessarily attribute much of it as specifically scum behavior.

This was in response to a direct question asking for his thoughts. Despite having shared very little he continues to hedge, speaks in generalities, forms no true opinion. I'm honestly baffled at those of you thinking his play has been solid. I'm completely not seeing it.

*Splinter

Skimmed last page, apologies if I missed this (about to head out)

*Splinter, you started the Kalor wagon; how do you feel about it currently?
To be honest I don't remember what started the Kalor suspicion. He's been a much lower presence since then though so I haven't seen any reason to reverse that read.

Did I start it though? I thought someone else did. I wouldn't call it a strong read by any stretch.

Sorian

Banned
First Sketch, now Acohrs. I don't remember it being quite this easy to get a free pass from you

Depends on the person and you know this. Blarg had always gotten a day one pass, Star has as well for a long time. I spent 3 or 4 day phases tunneling a vanilla town Acohrs last game so he gets on the list now too. I haven't tried to read every single person day 1 since like season 4, it's not worth the effort and trying to get the harder reads leads to disappointment more than anything.

*Splinter

No? He said the following:

I don't think he would classify it as "away" if he was following along and just opting not to post. This is also below the usual level of activity I've seen from Splinter who I believe I've played with three or four times now.
I've been playing Let It Die, if you must know.

Fireblend

Banned
Beyond tired already of people popping in to call votes lazy without even attempting to follow up on it themselves. My vote on Mazre isn't due to inactivity (if so there are better targets) but due to his complete lack of sharing actual opinions. Just look at these posts:

Throws the lightest shade at Sorian and thinks Kalor and lifeline are likely to be town. The rest is all noise. Talk about what theoretical scum may or may not do. Generic greetings to new players. I mean lets highlight a specific post:

This was in response to a direct question asking for his thoughts. Despite having shared very little he continues to hedge, speaks in generalities, forms no true opinion. I'm honestly baffled at those of you thinking his play has been solid. I'm completely not seeing it.

Sorry if I'm a little underwhelmed with the result of your efforts? You seem like a very solid player, transparent, effortlessly writing plenty, constantly solving for X... and yet you arrive at a safe "this guy needs to commit more so I'm voting him" conclusion. What I see when I read Mazre's posts is someone who's barely playing, who has yet to step up, nothing moving my opinion one way or another. Feels like a good cozy player to place a vote on and call it a day.

Sorian

Banned
I'm going to be out of the thread for a bit, will be back about an hour before deadline but here's where I'm at.

VOTE: batsnacks

If it gains no traction then I'll figure out which wagon is more viable for a scum lynch when I get back but over the course of all of day 1, bat is the only one that I read his posts and see clear agenda. There is a guiding hand in everything he does. Little prods to see what can stick and what won't. Pidgeon holing votes with a quarter of the day left which I feel has subconsciously locked it into Kalor vs Terra for a bit. That's what I'm getting from a light re read and just general remembering of the thread thus far.

acohrs

Bad dog.

Let It Die is a great way to burn time. It's my new Binding of Isaac.

feb53bf98a2fafe0f8ae9cc4e7502ec02a4f753e2332d93e90bb359a19d424d4.jpg

Fat4all

Banned
batsnacks is a very controlling player for sure, but his level of interaction kinda just feels like a less focused version of the way you play, Sorian. Which is to say, there's always the possibility that bats is a bold-playing scum, but it's not as easy to identify/prove.

So far I haven't seen any real convincing arguments to change my vote to another player. I think there's some decent contenders for the day-one lynch, but I feel the same for Terra currently as well.

Sorian

Banned
I don't trust bats but he's not a day 1 lynch

Music to my ears when I'm scum. Im all for keeping around strong players even if they may be scum because they are talking but idk, I read bats posts and I see summarizing more than solving with added "this is good" or "this is bad" flavor. It's a little pot/kettle since I've done the same too but I feel like I've put out original reads in too instead of all commentary.

Fireblend

Banned
I know what I said earlier about not keeping up with the thread as much as I wanted but looking over the player list I’m actually surprised that I can recall most of the names in there (barring some sub-10 posts players) pretty good for me on D1! Here's a mega summary on my thoughts :p

Sorian feels like Sorian so far. I’m terrible at reading him so I will gladfully delegate that to somebody else. Here I thought some of his early posts felt scripted but then again he did admit to being “extra handhold-ish” for the newbies. His interactions since (specially those with Natiko) feel like Sorian to me.

Sexyfish feels genuine so far. He’s given some thoughts on other people’s posts and maybe focused a bit too much on Lifeline, but I can’t fault him for scoring some easy logic points there. Only source of suspicion is that maybe he’s being a bit too humble with the “I’m new” thing? Not that that points my read in any way for now. Maybe would like some more assertiveness here.

Lifeline I’ve spent enough time talking about. I don’t see his tunneling as some deep strategy of any sort - I see where it comes from but it is a bit early in the game for that sort of blind aggression. As I said if he’s scum he’ll probably fall down along with some other domino down the line.

MickD - Ignoring whatever that string of nonsensical messages was. Ain’t working with that.

Flush is a bit off this game for me. A bit too much of focusing on the Lifeline thing which I’d think he’d be rolling his eyes at. His relationship with Terra is interesting; he did spend some posts trying to justify Terra’s “humouring” of Lifeline, but maybe that’s because that’s when he happened to be online and what he happened to comment on? That’s pretty much it so far. I think I expect a bit more thought-out posts from Flush?

Not enough Mazre in this game. Need way more than the formalities he provided at the beginning and the vague feelings he’s posted since. I’d love to read some more committal from him - Natiko’s vote on him feels super lazy.

I was suspicious of Dr. Worm earlier due to him maybe relying a bit too much on fluff posts to get by, but I think he’s been real solid since. He’s been tunneling a bit on Sexyfish but I don’t see it as a bad thing; everyone should have an eye on them and he’s not been aggressive enough as to take over the entire convo.

Terrabyte is also feeling a bit off here. The vote for Lifeline then Acohrs then unvote then going on the defense since and having to back up awkwardly I don’t know what to think. If it is a scum play, it seems real sloppy and like it got botched. Also someone who needs to post his thoughts ASAP. Also a bit puzzled about the recent Mazre vote.

Batsnacks seems to have plenty of suspicion on him and I can somewhat agree? He seems like he’s playing from a distance. His post asking for percentages from Lifeline felt lazy, purposeless and had like no payoff. I’d like to know how this line of questioning leads to anything valuable. Other than that, he had some mechanics discussion that don’t really make me lean any particular way.

Time feels like Time so far. Really liked his analysis post and his posts come across as him telling what his thoughts on the game are so far despite what other people may think. Solid playing.

AbsolutBro has barely been playing. Null as null can be.

Faddy, plenty of activity, though most of it has been supporting his thoughts that bad plays must mean whoever made them must be town (yet he calls Time’s post analysis “boring” as if his surface level reads were any better). Null read for now but it does feel like he wants to push that Lifeline and Terra must be town for what he perceives as stupid plays. He has a vote on Natiko for voting for Terra; looking forward to see if that changes throughout what’s left of the day.

Kalor I called out earlier on about answering a question from me that was directed at Lifeline, which some people jumped on. Other than that nothing super remarkable. Null read so far.

Fat4all has been active and posing decent questions, not much to say other than that.

StarSketch, way too inactive. Nothing that I can work with which is a shame because I think of Star as a good player. Maybe she just hasn’t found any good thread to latch on to, but still, expecting a bit more.

Not much to read about *Splinter, he hopped onto the Kalor bandwagon but other than that… eh. Also need more content.

As said earlier Acohrs has a surprisingly high amount of posts for how little I’ve noticed him since that sloppy reads list. I can see some decent questions in his previous posts and he did refer and comment to my posts on being suspicious of Worm, but that’s mixed with some posts on how his name should be spelled that don’t sit right with me if anything because that’s focusing on the wrong stuff. I’d love to see a post with a bit more committal here.

Verelios has been posting meaningful questions (sort of the opposite of the Batsnacks one I mentioned above) and managed to give me a good impression despite the relatively low post count. Leaning positively here, looking forward to see where his vote is gonna go.

Natiko I’ve never played with but feels really off, and a threat if he’s scum, using activity and particularly his convos with Sorian as a shield. It’s easy to bait Sorian into a convo and just get cozy with that guaranteed back and forth. He’s obviously comfortable writing tons, and a good player. That last reads list is throwing me off; I can agree with most of the content but the conclusive vote is just… puzzling. Why Mazre? All that solving for X throughout the thread and you place your vote on the inactive guy who’s barely posted who you acknowledge needs to commit more? Solid process, safe and lazy results is what I see here.

Very low activity from Zipped, who I’d expect more from. His posts seem ok and expected from a coasting player until that half-assed vote for Lifeline. What’s up with that? I can maybe get the intention behind someone wanting to get the suspicion over whether Lifeline is truly some daring/misguided scum player over with, but yeah, I don’t think the conversation is swinging that way and I doubt he doesn’t see that himself.

Vote: Natiko

I've spent most of my day doing this so I'll be back in a while.

*Splinter

Why not? Elaborate.
That "clear agenda" Sorian mentions is solid links to other players. Lynching scum-bats on D1 is nice, lynching him later can be disastrous for the scum team.

And more importantly if he's town he's a conversation-driver, not someone I'd risk lynching based on D1 reads.

Sorian

Banned
Man, skimming that reads list from Fire made me remember Absolut was playing, aside from trying to beat my point down fast when I called his early "reads" out, I don't think he's done anything. Different from someone like John or Mick who has just left no impression what so ever.

Natiko

Banned
Sorry if I'm a little underwhelmed with the result of your efforts? You seem like a very solid player, transparent, effortlessly writing plenty, constantly solving for X... and yet you arrive at a safe "this guy needs to commit more so I'm voting him" conclusion. What I see when I read Mazre's posts is someone who's barely playing, who has yet to step up, nothing moving my opinion one way or another. Feels like a good cozy player to place a vote on and call it a day.

Then you didn't read. The problem with Mazre isn't that he hasn't posted - it's that he has posted and is purposefully being vague and not contributing. You know, something scum love to do as it protects them from exposing viewpoints that they then have to answer for later on. If I wanted to vote someone who simply hadn't posted much I would vote for someone like Star.

Mazre

Then you didn't read. The problem with Mazre isn't that he hasn't posted - it's that he has posted and is purposefully being vague and not contributing. You know, something scum love to do as it protects them from exposing viewpoints that they then have to answer for later on. If I wanted to vote someone who simply hadn't posted much I would vote for someone like Star.

Actually you were fine heading down that road after 2 posts from star less than 24 hours in.

Fireblend

Banned

Not buying it. Vague and not-contributing are both easy to leverage at at least 5 other players in this game, specially coming from someone who has the postcount high ground - if you're town it's a very uninspired vote IMO, specially for your level of effort in this game.

Natiko

Banned
Not buying it. Vague and not-contributing are both easy to leverage at at least 5 other players in this game, specially coming from someone who has the postcount high ground - if you're town it's a very uninspired vote IMO, specially for your level of effort in this game.
Think what you will then. I standby the logic. I would rather lynch Mazre who has had an opportunity to contribute and chose not to over those who haven't had the opportunity or those that have actually contributed.

All this back and forth and it just makes me wonder more about batsnacks. He places down a "guideline" for the vote and then someone just said they feel like he hasn't been authoritarian (Worm I think) except that's exactly what he did and then ghosted out. If I want to form a team read on day 1, that's the one that smells to me.
I'm actually kinda with Worm on that one. I already said earlier I felt like he played quite testing and a bit off. I don't know, maybe we react to different triggers... Given that that argument is quite meta-reliant though and I'm always an advocate of "lynch inactives asap", maybe it's not the best...

I'm going to be out of the thread for a bit, will be back about an hour before deadline but here's where I'm at.

If it gains no traction then I'll figure out which wagon is more viable for a scum lynch when I get back but over the course of all of day 1, bat is the only one that I read his posts and see clear agenda. There is a guiding hand in everything he does. Little prods to see what can stick and what won't. Pidgeon holing votes with a quarter of the day left which I feel has subconsciously locked it into Kalor vs Terra for a bit. That's what I'm getting from a light re read and just general remembering of the thread thus far.

Well, that took me by surprise now. I didn't get the impression you were for a batsnacks lynch at all so far.

SexyFish

Banned
Just caught up and won't be on until after day 1 ends so...

Sorian, did batsnacks statement calling me top town when I voted for Kolar seem off at all, or was it just a goof by him?

Also, while I'm still feeling iffy on Kolar, I think I'm going to make a change.

Vote: Terrabyte20xx

That exchange with Lifeline was weird, even with an explanation. The cloud of confusion did not help at all.

acohrs

Leantown:
Fireblend - one of the few actively trying to progress discussion, townread him based on the following posts #191, #199, #215, and #344.
Royal_Flush - lean town on the following posts: #375, #376, #582, and #600.
Faddy - nothing to change my mind from before
Sorian - same as above
Fat4all - nullread him before, but see him trying to solve now. Don't get any bad vibes from their posts, so leaning town
Verelios - Townread based on the following post: #245
Natiko - nothing from their play so far makes me think of anything other than town Natiko that I've played with several times now, including the day 1 readlist.

Null:
Lifeline - can understand why some are leaning town on him, but I remember once when I was scum tunneling on a player in D1 who I thought wouldn't be lynched, just so it looked like I was being active town and not worry about being suspicious. Need more data
MickD - annoying as hell, yes, scum though? Unclear right now, need more data
Mazre - responded to my questions, but not done too much, nothing scummy in their responses, but going to need more to townread them
Dr. Worm - townread the following: #516, but need more committal play from Dr. Worm to townread them. Scumread SexyFish like Dr. Worm, but for different reasons and I didn't like Dr. Worm's scumread of them.
Batsnacks - null, like their readlist, but want more from them on the players on it.
Timeasis - lean town on #624, but want more contribution from them as the game goes on to townread them. Need more data
Kalor - could be scum, could be town, unclear right now after rereading their posts, need more data.

Leanscum:
SexyFish - I enjoy his funposts, reminds me of a young me with posts like #320 and #323. Sadly, a young me was scum my first two games.
*Splinter - following post looks scummy #666, starts wagon because of not remembering the right player but doesn't unvote? Bad look
Terrabyte20xx - strongest scumread, lot of contradictions in his play. doesn't like gutreads, metareads, or readlists on D1 #349, #365 then does it himself in #648. Posts read like scum that got caught out and adjusted how they play to blend in. Also, his vote on me to humour Lifeline then unvote. As pointed out elsewhere, if the wagon on me had gathered momentum rather than get him pressure, would he have unvoted? Unclear, but only way to figure out now is from his flip

Who the feck are you??:
That Dude John
Nudull
TheReplacedEdge
Absolutbro
Starsketch
Zippedpinhead

So

Vote: Terrabyte20xx

Dr. Worm

Banned
wait hold on no I fucked up

batsnacks started the wagon with

Kalor's the scum in that exchange probably!

VOTE: Kalor

and then *Splinter wagoned on from there, seemingly?

I'd like to see some different reads from batsnacks, because he tunneled on Kalor heavily without much reason before turning on Lifeline

2/2 people who gave reads on Kalor are voting Kalor I think

Hell yeah SexyFish top town

I'm trying to triple post and you guys are screwing me up

@splinter not sarcasm, approval. A Kalor vote is a good vote.

I get that it's gut, but it's an odd way to push

Faddy

Banned
Votes for Terra are typical day 1 lazy town effort.

The lack of activity probably means we haven't got scum rattled at all.

Lifeline

Terra votes make less sense than Kalor votes. There have been far weirder votes and flips in Day 1 than Terra humoring me with a acohrs vote. Since this is about to come down to Kalor vs Terra, and I might not be around for the end, I'm going to change my vote.

VOTE: Kalor

let's see:

early on we have the Lifeline/Acohrs/Faddy thing going on. I'm inclined to believe that Lifeline is a well meaning, but somewhat tunneling town. I realize Acohrs's list is a little unusual so early, but given it was two serious names and one joke entry (I think), I dont think the post was meant to be anything truly definitive. At this point I'm more likely to write it off as town flailing at town. That tends to happen. A lot.

From my past couple games as scum, I do know one of the harder things to do is make sure you chat with your scum team in the actual game thread. Faddy and acohrs talking rugby could, theoretically, be meant to make that happen artificially, but honestly this early on it's hard to say. I realize this sort of undermines my "town flailing at town" statement above, but I wanted to be clear I'm not referring to the rugby chat as any sort of scumtell. Just making a note.

Lots of 'so and so played x way as so and so" and I'm basically putting no stock in that kind of thing. I know someone else (TB?) mentioned it, but that sort of meta analysis really kind of bugs me, especially when it devolves into "so and so wouldn't play scum that badly!". Especially then.

gotta go cook dinner, more (as if this is anything) from mobile later

franconp

DAY 1 CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

Kalor (3)
batsnacks 140
*Splinter 235 579
SexyFish 289 688
MickD 533
Lifeline 693

Terrabyte20xx (4)
Kalor 434
Natiko 450 632
Fat4all 451
SexyFish 688
acohrs 689

Lifeline (2)
Terrabyte20xx 214 449
Timeaisis 511
Zippedpinhead 586

SexyFish (1)
Timeaisis 207 511
Sorian 287 491
Dr. Worm 318

Mazre (2)
acohrs 422 689
Natiko 632
Terrabyte20xx 648

Dr. Worm (0)
Sorian 491 669
Lifeline 496 506

Fat4all (1)
*Splinter 579

Natiko (2)
Faddy 499
Fireblend 676

batsnacks (1)
Sorian 669

Timeaisis (0): Sorian 78 287, SexyFish 270 289

Sorian (0): Faddy 98 499

StarSketch (0): Natiko 232 450

acohrs (0): Lifeline 173 216, Lifeline 374 496, Terrabyte20xx 449 501

No active vote for Day 1: AbsolutBro, Mazre, Nudull, Royal_Flush, StarSketch, That Dude John, TheWorthyEdge, Verelios

Day 1 ends:
red_1492988400.png

13 votes for majority

batsnacks

Of course I have an agenda lol

Fat4all

Banned
Votes for Terra are typical day 1 lazy town effort.

It's better than most of the other reasonings for day one votes so far, and Terra hasn't done much to dissuade his tumblings. You call those voting for Terra lazy, but I find your voting for Natiko to be equally as 'lazy'.

I'm always open to hear better suggestions for who to vote for, though, or for Terra to jump in on why they shouldn't be voted on.

Top Bottom