• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

I'm looking to buy some bass heavy wireless headphones and i have kinda narrowed down my choice to the Skullcandy Crusher Wireless and the Sony mdr-xb950bt/b. Which from those two would you guys recommend and do you have any other suggestions around the 100-150 price range?

Tommy DJ

General concensus on Bose products here at gaf is that it's shit. What about Bang and Olufsen? General thoughts on its headphones and sound systems?

Headphones are eeehhhhh. Their high end loudspeakers are perfectly good but very expensive.

You're really paying for the aesthetic design as much as the sound.

Chumley

Banned
I'm looking to buy some bass heavy wireless headphones and i have kinda narrowed down my choice to the Skullcandy Crusher Wireless and the Sony mdr-xb950bt/b. Which from those two would you guys recommend and do you have any other suggestions around the 100-150 price range?

I've tried out a lot of wireless headphones and all of them either sound like shit or are uncomfortable until you hit the mdr-1000x, if you're willing to spend $150 I'd say just wait until they drop to $300 (should be by the summer and even lower if you want to go used) and get those if you can save up another $150.

eosos

Banned
Just wished they had a lightning connector. Hmm wonder if there is a replacement cable that will do it. Or I guess the dongle exists.

matmanx1

General concensus on Bose products here at gaf is that it's shit. What about Bang and Olufsen? General thoughts on its headphones and sound systems?

Both Bose and B&O make good looking, high quality stuff. It isn't necessarily the best sounding stuff and it will always be pricey but in general their stuff is average to good.

That being said it's always a good idea to shop by what you are looking for in a headphone or speaker and not by brand. Every brand has its hits and its misses and sometimes there are surprisingly good products from makers that don't necessarily have the best names.

Find out what's important to you and how much you can afford and start your search there, regardless of brand name.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Do people think bose headphones look good? They always look and feel like flimsy plastic.

B&O at least uses high quality materials.

Jabronium

Feels weird not having the incessant upgrade urge. Considering some LSR305's for when I don't need the headphones but otherwise extremely happy with my setup.

That being said...anyone have experience on how HD700's pair with a Lyr 2 & Mimby? Seen all the horror stories about ear bleeding treble on the 700's, but I'm curious.

Not entirely on topic, but I thought this might be a decent place to ask: assuming I'm generally okay with lossy files, which of the big music download stores—iTunes, Amazon MP3, Google Play Music, others I'm forgetting?—offers the best sound quality?

deoee

Not entirely on topic, but I thought this might be a decent place to ask: assuming I'm generally okay with lossy files, which of the big music download stores—iTunes, Amazon MP3, Google Play Music, others I'm forgetting?—offers the best sound quality?

For me (not necessarily bit rate but mastering wise): Tidal = iTunes(Apple Music) > Google Play > Spotify > Deezer

In some songs it's a day and night difference between e.g. Apple and Spotify

Is active noise cancelling worth it? It looks like the feature comes with quite a price increase and I don't really care about bluetooth.

Some german retailers offer the MDR-1000x for 299€ right now and I am tempted to bite since I've been travelling a lot recently.

The most I've spent for headphones until now was 100€ for a pair of Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear two years ago. I still think they are amazing and cannot really imagine that there is a huge increase in quality thats worth 200€ more.

Chumley

Banned
Is active noise cancelling worth it? It looks like the feature comes with quite a price increase and I don't really care about bluetooth.

Some german retailers offer the MDR-1000x for 299€ right now and I am tempted to bite since I've been travelling a lot recently.

The most I've spent for headphones until now was 100€ for a pair of Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear two years ago. I still think they are amazing and cannot really imagine that there is a huge increase in quality thats worth 200€ more.

As someone who lives in a noisy house with the windows open a lot, it's a godsend. If you're normally in quiet areas it's pointless.

Koodo

Banned
My 4 y/o creative live aurvana headphones passed away peacefully overnight. :(

What's some good suggestions in the 100-200$ range? Mostly for in-house use.

Koodo

Banned
That price range is overflowing with options, you'll need to provide way more detail, as far as what you're looking to buy.
Basically a second tier continuation of the creative live aurvanas. Closed headphones, somewhat portable, wired, fits around the ear. I'll mostly be using them indoors, so noise cancelling isn't a priority.

I've been looking at these ones for reference:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0126HISOO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Koodo

Banned
The used deals for the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 are only available in the US. :/

The DT770 does seem bulky at over 100g heavier than the creative live, though there are used deals in Canada for $157.

I wouldn't mind extending the price range up to $300 if that brings in some more interesting options tbh.

HiResDes

The used deals for the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 are only available in the US. :/

The DT770 does seem bulky at over 100g heavier than the creative live, though there are used deals in Canada for $157.

I wouldn't mind extending the price range up to $300 if that brings in some more interesting options tbh.

Where are you?

Are there any options for non-Bluetooth ANC headphones? The only ones I can find are the QC25.
Edit: how are the Sony MDR-1RNC? is it an older model? They are 85€ cheaper than the 1000x.

luffeN

Is this a good place to ask about speaker height and listener position? Or do we have a dedicated thread about speakers?

crispyben

Hi, I asked for advice re: earbuds/IEMs a few weeks ago in this thread:
So, I've been using these crappy Sony earbuds for a decade I think, and the last pair I owned just died. Now I must find a replacement, and since I have a rather specific requirement, I thought I'd ask the enthusiasts here: is it still possible to find earbuds that do not go too deep into the ear? I own several headsets, so I'm looking for an wired pair to use on the subway and at my desk, and I don't want to to be too cut off from the world, if that makes any sense... I'm not willing to spend too much, maybe 100€? Thanks for the help.
and helpful Gaffers suggested I look into the Fiio EX1/Dunu Titan 1. I did, and bought a pair of Fiio EX1 2nd gen. I got them to fit in my ears and started to get used to the "sealing feeling", but they won't play nice with my iPhone SE, pausing and skipping tracks, triggering voice control randomly once I get moving. I think the plug must be slightly too long and causing a short circuit. I ordered a second pair, but the same issues clearly reared up.

Now, the shape of them seemed OK to me ear-wise, with a part that does not go into the ear canal to provide sound and helps them stay in place. I don't know how to explain it better, but would you have alternatives to suggest with the same kind of design/budget? Thanks again.

HiResDes

Hi, I asked for advice re: earbuds/IEMs a few weeks ago in this thread:

and helpful Gaffers suggested I look into the Fiio EX1/Dunu Titan 1. I did, and bought a pair of Fiio EX1 2nd gen. I got them to fit in my ears and started to get used to the "sealing feeling", but they won't play nice with my iPhone SE, pausing and skipping tracks, triggering voice control randomly once I get moving. I think the plug must be slightly too long and causing a short circuit. I ordered a second pair, but the same issues clearly reared up.

Now, the shape of them seemed OK to me ear-wise, with a part that does not go into the ear canal to provide sound and helps them stay in place. I don't know how to explain it better, but would you have alternatives to suggest with the same kind of design/budget? Thanks again.

Phiaton PS210/PS210i but good look finding them still for sale. Bose Tri-Port also don't block noise and are comfortable, maybe try those though the sound quality might not be quite as good.

Xander51

Are there any options for non-Bluetooth ANC headphones? The only ones I can find are the QC25.
Edit: how are the Sony MDR-1RNC? is it an older model? They are 85€ cheaper than the 1000x.

You might also look into the MDR-100ABN. It goes on sale frequently, and has the ability to run wired and also a button to turn the ANC off.

In other news, the latest MacOS update broke compatibility with my little Sound Blaster E1 portable amp/DAC, so I bought a Schiit Fulla on closeout. I know that there are a million other dongles out there now, but I always wanted to try a Schiit product. I'm impressed. It works very well and puts out plenty of power to my higher impedance stuff. The sharp metal build is also weirdly satisfying to me.

matmanx1

You might also look into the MDR-100ABN. It goes on sale frequently, and has the ability to run wired and also a button to turn the ANC off.

In other news, the latest MacOS update broke compatibility with my little Sound Blaster E1 portable amp/DAC, so I bought a Schiit Fulla on closeout. I know that there are a million other dongles out there now, but I always wanted to try a Schiit product. I'm impressed. It works very well and puts out plenty of power to my higher impedance stuff. The sharp metal build is also weirdly satisfying to me.

Yup, Schiit makes some good stuff and all of it is a very good value in terms of performance for your dollar. I'm really enjoying my Jotunheim and I've pretty much decided that it is my end-game as far as a solid state head amplifier goes.

Going up the ladder to more expensive stuff might net small gains in an area or two and some increased capability (like speaker taps or a remote control) but only at a significant cost for very little sonic benefit.

It has plenty of power (5 watts at 32 ohms and nearly a full watt at 300 ohms out of the balanced output) is extremely detailed and has balanced input and output. For a $399 solid state headphone amp I don't think you could find a better one anywhere and now that I have one in black I am extremely satisfied.

Anyway, enjoy the Fulla. If you are anything like me it won't be your last Schiit Audio purchase.

FoxSpirit

Got to listen to a pair Beoplay H6.
Very nice resolved, neutral sound, smooth yet detailed, good soundstage for a closed, bass a bit weak but very controlled. Thus reacts like a beast to bass EQ. Then the bass has real solidity and impact. Low efficiency or high resistance, needs a hefty turn of the volume knob.
Very light and comfy.

Overall, would highly recommend if you can be satisfied with the achievable volume and are willing to EQ the bass a bit.

Xander51

So I just looked at the newly relaunched Head-fi for the first time.

Oh no. It's worse than everyone said.

Yup, Schiit makes some good stuff and all of it is a very good value in terms of performance for your dollar. I'm really enjoying my Jotunheim and I've pretty much decided that it is my end-game as far as a solid state head amplifier goes.

Going up the ladder to more expensive stuff might net small gains in an area or two and some increased capability (like speaker taps or a remote control) but only at a significant cost for very little sonic benefit.

It has plenty of power (5 watts at 32 ohms and nearly a full watt at 300 ohms out of the balanced output) is extremely detailed and has balanced input and output. For a $399 solid state headphone amp I don't think you could find a better one anywhere and now that I have one in black I am extremely satisfied.

Anyway, enjoy the Fulla. If you are anything like me it won't be your last Schiit Audio purchase.

I've been enjoying the Fulla quite a bit, thanks! And yeah, I'm totally already looking into either getting a basic stack or maybe a Jotunheim in the future, haha.

matmanx1

I have had the very distinct pleasure of spending time with this particular black Russian over the past week.
mgzo9Mk.jpg

This is the Laconic Labs Night Blues Mini. I first heard about it from a thread over at SBAF last year where it got glowing reviews from some folks who are known for being very hard to impress. The only problem? It's never been offered for sale outside of Russia.

Foreign buyers were forced to find willing private parties in Russia who would buy one of these and then risk the Russian mail services to get it out of the country. Most of the time the amps got where they were going but sometimes they did not. This particular amp was purchased by a buyer in London last October and he offered it for sale the week before last. When I saw it for sale I immediately sent an inquiry and a couple of days later it was on its way to me in the US.

There was one final snag when it got held up in Customs (for less than a day, thankfully) and both I and the seller had to email very specific information about what the item was and what I was going to be doing with it along with detailed information about the company in Russia that made it.

So, was it worth all the trouble? Oh heck yes. The more I listen to it the more impressed I become. A couple of weeks ago I bought the Jotunheim and it is absolutely everything I want out of a solid state headphone amplifier. The Jot really plays nicely with my headphones and sounds fantastic.

Well, the Night Blues Mini takes the Jotunheim's performance and improves on it in every area except one, and even there it isn't far off the mark. (bass tightness/slam) The Night Blues Mini (NBM) extends just as well as the Jot, images just as well but then adds more air and "visibility" to each individual instrument as well as doing a bang up job of pulling out the tiny details and microdetails present in the music.

It's a sweeter sound but that sweetness is very subtle and it's taken me several listening sessions of comparing back and forth between the Jot and the NBM for me really get a handle on the difference. And now when I plug my headphones into the Jot it sounds like something is missing or has been diminished in some way.

Anyway, whatever it is that the NBM is dishing out has me completely hooked. I am completely smitten and I hope that it plays just as well with the Eikon (scheduled for delivery next week!!) as it does with my other headphones.

Other details: One of the reasons the NBM has gotten such high praise is that brand new it costs about $300 USD yet has the sound quality to compete with tubs amps that cost 3 or 4 times as much. Shipping from overseas with insurance was expensive but to my door it cost me about $480 which isn't all that much more than the Jot.

It's also 220v only but a step-up transformer solves that problem. Max power draw is about 30 watts so a 100 watt step-up transformer is more than sufficient.

At this point there still aren't alot of these things out in the wild but if you see one for sale (and there's been a couple of Head-fi) and are looking for an amazing deal in a tube amp then I highly recommend the NBM.

Tonza

Ended up getting Beoplay H7 as a bluetooth pair as B&O is selling refurbished ones for half off at ebay.

Initial impressions are pretty good. They are on the heavier side compared to my wired headphones or even RS170 but not too bad. Sound is a bit similar to MDR-1A but a bit brighter (noticed some sibilance in one song) and for me better controlled bass (the 1A's are a bit boomy at times). Though I haven't been able to compare them yet that much. Build quality seems excellent.

For the price, I am quite happy with them. I think at the MSRP they are a bit steep though.

matmanx1

Ended up getting Beoplay H7 as a bluetooth pair as B&O is selling refurbished ones for half off at ebay.

Initial impressions are pretty good. They are on the heavier side compared to my wired headphones or even RS170 but not too bad. Sound is a bit similar to MDR-1A but a bit brighter (noticed some sibilance in one song) and for me better controlled bass (the 1A's are a bit boomy at times). Though I haven't been able to compare them yet that much. Build quality seems excellent.

For the price, I am quite happy with them. I think at the MSRP they are a bit steep though.

Half price is a really good place to be with those, though. Nice pick-up!

Fox1304

Yeah H7 are a really good set. Too bad for the BT parasitic sounds (though they only last 30 seconds) and the inability to connect to two devices simultaneously. On this point Bose is miles ahead, but the sound of B&O is something else.

matmanx1

My ZMF Eikon arrived yesterday. I was too busy listening to it last night and did not take a good picture but it is a gorgeous and well made headphone that is built like a tank. For a closed back headphone that is quite heavy it is very comfortable and sits nicely on the head.

With the Schiit Jotunheim the bass goes DEEEEEP and is strong and powerful. With some EQ'ing the Eikon could be a bass-head's dream can. Mids are smooth and just right for me (might be a little relaxed for some) and the highs have enough presence without ever being sibilant or tizzy.

The Eikon is an analytical headphone though. It does not smear or gloss over the details. I think with the right DAC and Amp it could be one of the best and most unique closed back headphones out there.

My only disappointment is with the synergy between the Eikon and the Night Blues Mini tube amp. The NBM just doesn't have enough juice to do the Eikon justice. The bass is loose and rolled off and there's just not enough driver control going on. It seems like the Eikon really responds well to power and needs a good bit of it to really come to life.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
before I ask...I KNOW. we usually don't by beats..but:

the beatsX look nice, not bulky and small, and I like that I could charge them with my lightning cable...so

anyone in here tried them/got them? how do they sound? especially for music like paramore, radiohead, queen, and gorillaz?
I read some reviews and they did not sound too hot.

or anyone got an alternative for small bluetooth in ear headphones?

Top Bottom