• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2017 (Apr 17 - Apr 23)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
We don't have JP Sales yet, but MK8D is doing pretty well in the US:

From the NoA PR.

From over 100% attach rate for Zelda to 45% attach rate for MK8D. Truly a bomba.

Curious about the attach rate for Japan. Zelda was much lower in Japan compared to the west.

That PR is very very weird. Using the maths from that the switch didn't sell much over 100k for almost all of April if that 45% attach ratio is correct as of the day MK launched.

ggx2ac

That PR is very very weird. Using the maths from that the switch didn't sell much over 100k for almost all of April if that 45% attach ratio is correct as of the day MK launched.

As pointed out in the thread relevant to it, I wouldn't worry about April shipment numbers.

They haven't said anything about April hardware numbers because they said "over 2.7 million Switch units" have been shipped WW in their press release which was the 2.74 million they announced back in their earnings results last week.

1.2 million Switch units were shipped to the Americas up to March 31st.

They didn't use internal data for hardware when they announced 900k consoles sold at launch, they used NPD numbers. Internal data was used for Zelda.

The Nintendo Switch system sold more than 906,000 units in March, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1360413

Internal data was used for Mario Kart here too because they said Retail and Digital make up that 459k day one launch.

Vena

You're conflating separate statements mostly. Which is why it's so weird sounding numerically.

ggx2ac

You're conflating separate statements mostly. Which is why it's so weird sounding numerically.

Also, with what Zedark pointed out.

1.02 million x .45 = 459k

It's very likely 1.02 million Switches were shipped to US up to March 31st but NPD only recorded 906k sales.

Canada is apparently usually 10% the size of the US market so they would have had up to 102k consoles which leaves around 80k or less for Mexico and other countries in South America. (Which is in reference to the Americas shipments from Nintendo's financial data.)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
As pointed out in the thread relevant to it, I wouldn't worry about April shipment numbers.

They haven't said anything about April hardware numbers because they said "over 2.7 million Switch units" have been shipped WW in their press release which was the 2.74 million they announced back in their earnings results last week.

1.2 million Switch units were shipped to the Americas up to March 31st.

They didn't use internal data for hardware when they announced 900k consoles sold at launch, they used NPD numbers. Internal data was used for Zelda.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1360413

Internal data was used for Mario Kart here too because they said Retail and Digital make up that 459k day one launch.
It's still very weird, I mean why bother announcing the attach ratio for everyone in the US when it's not the attach ratio and frankly has nothing to do with the attach ratio because it works under the assumption noone bought switches in April or with the console itself.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
No, it's definitely not comparable. It's like saying Mario Kart has a Breath of the Wild type revival because Deluxe will sell more than the original Mario Kart 8. It will go back to Super Mario Galaxy/Super Mario Galaxy 2 type sales and that's it. There is just no similar revival possible because 3D Mario games never struggled to begin with.

3D World struggled and not only at sales.

Odyssey is a revival at entire series.

It's still very weird, I mean why bother announcing the attach ratio for everyone in the US when it's not the attach ratio and frankly has nothing to do with the attach ratio because it works under the assumption noone bought switches in April or with the console itself.

They use March internal hardware data for Switch, they wouldn't give April sales in public.

Spaghetti

Ōkami;235299469 said:
The problem with Shenmue is that the games are super boring and only appeal to a small niche.

Playing the first 2 games is more likely to put people away, sell the game on hype.
Did you only play/watch the first game?

The original can certainly cop to being pretty glacial, but the sequel's pacing is much improved; and overall a better representation of what the series is and where it's going.

I don't think there will be a large scale meltdown about MonHun for the same reason there wasn't for DQXI. It's expected.

FF VII Remake is a temp. exclusive. If anything the meltdowns would be absolutely huge if the Monster Hunter is multi. You can't even start a talk about this specific topic without many Nintendo fans getting triggered.

Oregano

Since when

I think it was in the Vita community thread but apparently he said Switch is disappointing and he wants a Vita 2.

FF VII Remake is a temp. exclusive. If anything the meltdowns would be absolutely huge if the Monster Hunter is multi. You can't even start a talk about this specific topic without many Nintendo fans getting triggered.

Did you not see the thread with the (non)-rumour about FFVII releasing on Switch?

Cerium

I honestly don't know where you're seeing this. It's like you feel you can wish it into reality.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think it was in the Vita community thread but apparently he said Switch is disappointing and he wants a Vita 2.

Did you not see the thread with the (non)-rumour about FFVII releasing on Switch?

I seriously don't see the meaningful difference between the switch and a vita. 3G perhaps?

The rumor about the game getting confirmed for Switch at E3 and even a gameplay? Do you think it's strange that people didn't believe that rumor?

I honestly don't know where you're seeing this. It's like you feel you can wish it into reality.

Feel? Wtf are you talking about?

Just search for Monster Hunter threads and you will see people getting annoyed when someone brings the topic.

Oregano

I seriously don't see the meaning difference between the switch and a vita. 3G perhaps?

One has a Nintendo logo and one has a Sony logo.
One has games and the other has better Network features

The rumor about the game getting confirmed for Switch at E3 and even a gameplay? Do you think it's strange that people didn't believe that rumor?

Feel? Wtf are you talking about?

Just search for Monster Hunter threads and you will see people getting annoyed when someone brings the topic.

People weren't just not believing it, they were incredulous that anyone would dare suggest it.

Salvadora

a quick google showed this quote (tweet) from Yoko Taro:
”I want a Vita successor. While I feel a bit relieved since the Switch appeared, I'd like a slightly smaller next-generation portable game machine. I'd like to satisfy the desire that cannot be satisfied by smartphones, that don't have physical buttons."
Over dramatised in this thread, of course.

One has a Nintendo logo and one has a Sony logo.
One has games and the other has better Network features

People weren't just not believing it, they were incredulous that anyone would dare suggest it.

Many people were actually singing the same old song that the game runs on UE4 so it's possible. And most of people didn't believe the rumor, but not because the game won't come to Switch but the source and the rumor content sounds high unlikely.

Oregano

a quick google showed this quote (tweet) from Yoko Taro:

Over dramatised in this thread, of course.

I was going off what Takao said:
He did one better and said Switch is underwhelming. He also threw some heat towards mobage.

Many people were actually singing the same old song that the game runs on UE4 so it's possible. And most of people didn't believe the rumor, but not because the game won't come to Switch but the source and the rumor content sounds high unlikely.

Except you know all the shitposts about Switch only being able to run the original version.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Honestly the Wii is a big root of my massive skepticism about third party support and it's not because it didn't receive PS3/360 ports; it's because of the PSP. Not just all the Japanese games like KH:Birth by Sleep or even Tekken 6. The PSP got games like Army of Two, Dante's Inferno and Split/Second which the Wii totally missed out on.

The worst ones are stuff like Soul Caliber where the PSP got a full fat version and the Wii got.... Legends.

Yup, I was also right to say that Level 5's comments were concerning. I was WAAAY off with Square Enix though, a few years ago when Matsuda took over it looked like they were moving to be a PlayStation only publisher again and it definitely looked liked Dragon Quest XI was going to be PS4(or a PS3/PS4) game. I'm really shocked that they are the Switch's biggest supporter.

Honestly not sure what is happening with Bandai Namco though....

What happened with the Wii was an interesting combination of circumstances and factors that make the situation more difficult to analyse than what you would expect, especially in comparison with Switch's current situation. Get ready for a big post, everyone.

*ahem*

The Wii released in December 2006, with great hardware sales from the get go, surprising several Japanese third parties in the process. Certainly, an important criticism that can be made towards them is that most of them were too late in releasing a bigger amount major games for it (2009 is when Monster Hunter 3, Tales of Graces and Samurai Warriors 3 released, plus stuff like The Crystal Chronicles - that bombed spectacularly - ), but it's not the only element that we can take away by looking back at Wii

1) this is obvious, but a good amount of games on PS3/360 couldn't be easily ported to Wii. They required a non-insignificant amount of resources, between a specific team to work on the project / several adjustments to accomodate Wii's much weaker and considerably different hardware. But, contrary to the West, this is not the only culript of what happened on Wii, due to Japanese developers' slowness in developing on PS3 and 360 as well in 2007 and 2008.

2) Probably a bigger factor has been the competition coming from DS and PSP, especially the former at first: DS was already at record-levels weekly sales back then, thanks to the Touch Generation games, DS Lite and New Super Mario Bros., plus the (at the time) shocking announcement of DQIX for the platform. So, several developers had an incredibly successful and fastily growing platform where to release games on already. And with cheaper development costs to boot. At the same time, PSP was clearly not as big as DS, but Monster Hunter Portable 2nd represented a first step in a major improvement path that brought higher hardware and software sales, thus a better environment where to release games on, more confidence from third parties. This impacted negatively Wii's potential support. Again, though, not the only factor, especially considering how PSP-to-Wii ports should've been a good fit and (contrary to 360/PS3-to-Wii ports) not too resource intensive, but...

3) And here's the third element to consider when the Wii situation is judged: to be perfectly honest, it wasn't a completely third-party friendly market. It needs to be said that Wii still saw some third party successes in its lifespan, even in its early years (probably, the biggest ones in Japan in 2007 were Dragon Quest Heroes and Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, with Dragon Ball Z: BT3 and Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Wii on a lower level), but it never reached a level of general third party sales that convinced all third parties to put their effort in supporting the platform, in particular for most "core" games / non-mainstream franchises. Again, this was worsened as time went by due to third parties themselves not getting games on the system fast enough, but there were already some problems from the beginning. The JRPG genre performance on Wii was probably one of the biggest demonstrations of the aforemented problems, sans a few exceptions.

Now, let's make a comparison with the current situation for Switch, point by point

1) Switch is not as powerful as PS4/Xbox One, but tech-wise ports are far easier and far less resource-intensive, due to its modern architecture, tools and engines support. This is also demonstrated by the 20+ games made with UE4 in development for Switch, even if we assume that some of them are from Nintendo themselves

2) Back then, Wii came out when DS already started its legendary run and just a few months before PSP started gaining important traction due to the unexpected Monster Hunter explosion. Later on, PS3 made important market gains due to a well-executed planning and that made Wii's situation even worse. The context surrounding Switch is quite different: the 3DS is still selling well (and the New 2DS XL is surely going to help starting from July ) and is still getting good / major releases, but it's well past its prime and "explosion" period; meanwhile, Vita has recently entered the last part of its commercial life, and there's nothing in sight that indicates a reversal. At the same time, PS4 is certainly in a far healthier state than PS3 in 2007-2008, both hardware / software-wise, which means developers aren't afraid of putting games on it and for some productions PS4 can be enough; however, there are other games and franchises for which PS4 could not be enough since it's still a low-selling platform in the territory, in spite of its recent at-least-decent sales (but the next few months could present some problems due to its upcoming lineup up to DQXI's day), especially all the Vita/PS4 games in a post-Vita world.

3) Now, the environment for third party games still need more games and time to be more properly valued, but we can already make some first assumptions. First of all, the fact that the first party launch KA is a sanbox Zelda game, followed by a casual-oriented software should mean the audience currently buying the console is not entirely the same as the one that went and bought a Wii early on thanks to the casual-duo (Wii Sports and Wii Play) + a Zelda game that, while selling well, was not the initial major purchase reason. So, an audience that should be more open to more traditional experiences; which is something that some of the launch game's sales already show. In fact, we all know about Bomberman, but DQHI-II is another title that, in spite of being a collection of ports retailing at almost 10,000 Yen, is still selling and approaching 50,000 copies sold already, which means it can potentially hit the 100k goal in the next few months; Puyo Puyo is doing unexpectedly great as a 3-years-old port as well. Also, their sales have been somewhat limited by the shortages, since their own increases / decreases have been strictly connected with hardware sales. Finally, one of the usual post-launch phenomenons (launch games hitting bargain bins due to excessive amounts of stocks) has yet to happen, and we have reports of the same happening for the titles that have deemed as flops so far, i.e. I am Setsuna and Disgaea 5. Not incredibly strong, but still some good early signs. Again, the next months will be more telling as new games are released, but it's certainly a far better start than what the vast majority of Wii third party games saw.

So, there you have it. Wii's situation being the root of skepticism isn't completely unreasonable, but it should still be noted that the two situation present several differencies.

Mory Dunz

meltdowns for both will be huge.
PS fans want FFVII to remain exclusive, or just come to PC. (or just not Switch given recent conversation)
Nintnendo fans want MH to remain exclusive

lol at anyone saying otherwise tbh

sense

Can't wait for these mythical 20 ue4 games to be revealed to figure out what kind of third party support to expect on switch. It is safe to say Switch is going to do very well in Japan and probably do 3ds numbers or even better looking at splatoon craze and once level 5, capcom, square etc... leave the 3ds behind. I am just skeptical of switch outside Japan after the first year or two when the hardcore crowd has picked up the system. The reason being Nintendo is going into the holiday with its own set of unique games but the biggest games are not going to be on it like destiny 2, cod, battlefront, assassins creed, rdr2, shadow of war, sports games etc... that appeal to the mainstream and those kind of games don't seem like they will be coming to switch at all. No doubt Mario odyssey, Pokémon and smash bros are going to be huge with the family crowd and help the system to sell huge numbers atleast this holiday season but there is no Wii sports casual audience that is going to propel the system to 100m. Would Nintendo consider it a success if it did 3ds+Wii u numbers of around 60-75m ltd considering it is supposedly replacing both? I would assume they want to sell around 90-100m.

What are people's ltd expectations. I personally think it will do 3ds numbers of around 60m.

Can't wait for these mythical 20 ue4 games to be revealed to figure out what kind of third party support to expect on switch. It is safe to say Switch is going to do very well in Japan and probably do 3ds numbers or even better looking at splatoon craze and once level 5, capcom, square etc... leave the 3ds behind. I am just skeptical of switch outside Japan after the first year or two when the hardcore crowd has picked up the system. The reason being Nintendo is going into the holiday with its own set of unique games but the biggest games are not going to be on it like destiny 2, cod, battlefront, assassins creed, rdr2, shadow of war, sports games etc... that appeal to the mainstream and those kind of games don't seem like they will be coming to switch at all. No doubt Mario odyssey, Pokémon and smash bros are going to be huge with the family crowd and help the system to sell huge numbers atleast this holiday season but there is no Wii sports casual audience that is going to propel the system to 100m. Would Nintendo consider it a success if it did 3ds+Wii u numbers of around 60-75m ltd considering it is supposedly replacing both? I would assume they want to sell around 90-100m.

What are people's ltd expectations. I personally think it will do 3ds numbers of around 60m.

You also forgot Animal Crossing.

LordRaptor

Either Takao read a different Twitter post from him or that's a misleading statement.

KNzTf1c.gif

Its selling faster than they can produce at $299, i dont see how it doesnt pass the 3DS. They couldnt sell 3DS at $250.

sense

Its selling faster than they can produce at $299, i dont see how it doesnt pass the 3DS. They couldnt sell 3DS at $250.
3ds did not have a zelda that dominated the media and talks about being the best game ever or games like mario kart/splatoon right around the corner. Nintendo did an excellent job with launch window lineup for its hardcore fans and it pushed them to adopt the system early where they would have waited till the holiday or later.

Top Bottom