• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
View Poll Results: Will Ubisoft manage to keep any secrets for E3 (or even for their pre-E3 unveils)?
Yes
45 6.44%
No
148 21.17%
No, and especially not that online pirate game
506 72.39%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

SolidChamp
Banned
(05-09-2017, 11:46 AM)
Sold.
nOoblet16
(05-09-2017, 11:47 AM)

Originally Posted by prudislav

So looking back to Vivendisoft's 2015 Far Cry survey :

it seems to be 6th option ;-)

Also seems like we already got some others in a way :
- 11 is most likely where FC: Primal was born as an idea
- 8 was in form of weird Trials game
- 4 is basically GR-Wildlands but with Bolivia instead of Peru

5, 9 and 10 are so much better ideas.

Mad Max style Farcry would give you western as well as a bit of modern both at the same time.
Skyzard
Banned
(05-09-2017, 11:52 AM)
Sounds awesome. It's been enough time since 4 and wild west would be great with far cry if they can keep it interesting.
Hystzen
(05-09-2017, 11:55 AM)
Rather have Jurassic Park:Lost World setting but Wild West be interesting
Jacknapes
(05-09-2017, 12:02 PM)
Primal was a decent Far Cry game, however if the rumours of a Western Far Cry coming this year are true, and if RDR2 arrives this year as well, then it's a year of Westerns. However RDR2 will most likely trounce it.
CrayToes
(05-09-2017, 12:09 PM)
Day one. I very much doubt RDR2 is launching this year, anyway. I just hope the awesome co-op from FC4 is back.
BrassDragon
(05-09-2017, 12:10 PM)
I'm fine with this, especially if they go more 'weird west' to distinguish it from the spaghetti western theme we usually get. Far Cry 4 and Primal both heavily featured mysticism/magic so I'd like more of that.

One thing these games need is to give the adversaries more personality/story like the captains in Shadows of Mordor or the narcos in Wildlands. Killing a thousand faceless mooks on the way to 3 scripted encounters with bosses that you barely see in-game just isn't that involving.
_Rob_
(05-09-2017, 12:12 PM)
Bring on the mechanical spiders!

Although it may not appear so, I make this post completely honestly. I loved Wild Wild West, I don't understand why it gets so much hate!
EatChildren
Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
(05-09-2017, 12:53 PM)

Originally Posted by nOoblet16

See the design or formula is not the issue, if it was Horizon wouldn't be the breakaway hit that it is. It's the execution that makes all the difference and to me FC4 atleast was very fun to play because it had very good shooting which I found fun. Plus the radio was fucking hilarious for me because I understand the language and all the Indian references it made.

That's for you though. The design and formula is a problem for me because it doesn't lean towards my tastes and in most cases actively opposes them. I can see why they're fun games, I just find them boring.
The Dutch Slayer
(05-09-2017, 01:02 PM)
Rockstar does not do life action they show the game itself always :O
Also LOL @ people who believe that RDR2 comes out this year let alone September.
gafneo
Banned
(05-09-2017, 01:05 PM)
How pointless. Just set it in a tropical island.
samsveds
(05-09-2017, 01:06 PM)
Sounds interesting.
Bansai
(05-09-2017, 01:06 PM)
Western setting would definitely prompt me to buy, we need more games in that time period.
Triggerhappytel
(05-09-2017, 01:18 PM)
While I like that they keep shifting the Far Cry series around in an effort to ensure it doesn't get stale, I'd actually prefer a new Call of Juarez in the Old West as opposed to Far Cry going into that setting. Call of Juarez Gunslinger was superb, but at the time it was overshadowed by FC3: Blood Dragon.

EDIT - also, what's the online pirate game referenced in the poll? Have I missed some rumours on that?
FelipeMGM
(05-09-2017, 01:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Kenzodielocke

Wouldn't Ubisoft usually have announced the next AC and FC by now?

not only that, they would have announced their E3 show by now too

maybe they are doing this week or the next before their financial report (May 16)
Roufianos
(05-09-2017, 01:34 PM)
They'd be better off delaying it until February or so. Better to come after Read Dead than before it.
nOoblet16
(05-09-2017, 01:35 PM)

Originally Posted by EatChildren

That's for you though. The design and formula is a problem for me because it doesn't lean towards my tastes and in most cases actively opposes them. I can see why they're fun games, I just find them boring.

So I take it you didn't find Horizon fun as well? If it's the formula that is the problem.
Marvel
could never
(05-09-2017, 01:36 PM)
Sept is stacked.
Indelible
(05-09-2017, 01:38 PM)
Hopefully this is true, Far Cry would translate perfectly to a western setting. It would be great if we get this and a new Assassin's Creed this holiday.
MosquitoSmasher
(05-09-2017, 01:38 PM)
If true definitely feels like they want some of that RDR2 hype but I am not gonna jump to any other conclusions. Might be a great game actually and can fill in that void because I definitely don't believe RDR2 will launch anymore this year.
Pyccko
(05-09-2017, 01:39 PM)
Yep, I'm in. Give to me now please and thank you.
ShinUltramanJ
(05-09-2017, 01:42 PM)
I'm all for this! Far Cry in the Wild West sounds great!
Zepp Twofist
(05-09-2017, 01:44 PM)
Wild west Far Cry sounds perfect. Hopefully they don't half ass on content like they did with Primal.
Surface of Me
(05-09-2017, 01:45 PM)
Online pirate game?
MosquitoSmasher
(05-09-2017, 01:51 PM)
This reminds me of how they marketed FC Primal. I believe they revealed it in the same year as release, actually it was quite a short time between announcement and release.
Lifeline
(05-09-2017, 01:55 PM)
Far Cry Primal to get people ready for Horizon. Far Cry West to get people ready for Red Dead Redemption 2.
sixteen-bit
(05-09-2017, 02:09 PM)
Interesting choice. I wonder how it'll play out.
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(05-09-2017, 02:13 PM)

Originally Posted by sjay1994

As I said in the far cry 5 thread, good luck to ubi if true.

Especially with RDR2 coming soon

RDR2 will wipe the floor with this game. I don't need to see anything to know this to be the case. Good thing this will be coming out before RDR2.
Yopis
(05-09-2017, 02:17 PM)
So climb the barns or windmills to reveal map?
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(05-09-2017, 02:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Roufianos

They'd be better off delaying it until February or so. Better to come after Read Dead than before it.

You crazy. Then nobody would buy it. Be first and let everyone buy it just for the setting alone. You don't want to be compared to RDR2 AND be last lol.
Budi
(05-09-2017, 02:30 PM)
Hell yeah, I'm in! First Far Cry ever to really interest me, besides the Blood Dragon DLC. Not enough Western games out there. And I've been happy with Ubi games myself, so I'll expect this to be atleast decent. I hope the story will be worth it, usually not the strongest in Ubi releases.
MaximusPayne
(05-09-2017, 02:38 PM)
Far Cry: Call of Juarez

I'm ok with this. Something to hold us over for the inevitable RDR2 delay.
Dee Dah Dave
(05-09-2017, 02:41 PM)
Oooh this one could be interesting, and a nice contrast to RDR2!

Far Cry has some great strengths in it's gameplay loop and I think could fit very well in a Wild West setting.
Fersis
It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
(05-09-2017, 02:42 PM)
Consider me interested.

Far Cry West and Red Dead in the same year? Is that even possible?

* DICE reveals Battlefield Wild West at E3 *
yurinka
(05-09-2017, 02:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Triggerhappytel

While I like that they keep shifting the Far Cry series around in an effort to ensure it doesn't get stale

Considering that Primal was the best selling Far Cry game, I think it was a good idea to try a new setting. Western did work very well with RDR and there isn't almost AAA competition with this setting. So I assume a Far Cry somewhere else (as a western) would work very well.
SG-17
(05-09-2017, 02:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Fersis

Consider me interested.

Far Cry West and Red Dead in the same year? Is that even possible?

* DICE reveals Battlefield Wild West at E3 *

I didn't know how much I wanted this. As long as the only automatic weapon is the Gatling Gun.
Falchion
(05-09-2017, 03:04 PM)
Hell yes I'm down! So glad we're returning to an era with guns, can't wait for first person Red Dead!
EatChildren
Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
(05-09-2017, 03:13 PM)

So I take it you didn't find Horizon fun as well? If it's the formula that is the problem.

I haven't played Horizon yet. I think I might like it. Need to chew through a few other games before I can commit.

But it's not simply "the formula". It's the nuances within that formula and how we define it, particularly how gameplay systems are expressed and balanced, and integration of progression and pacing. A lot of games are formulaic and simple, and I don't mind. Ubisoft's direction with Far Cry 3 onwards doesn't appeal to me, particularly in how XP economy and skill unlocks are fed to the player, along with what I feel is dull objective and mission structuring. It's a cliche, but they legitimately feel like the kind of games where once I've played the first couple of hours I feel I've seen all the game can offer, and the rest is fluff.
Fishook
(05-09-2017, 03:31 PM)
As somebody who loves Western's, I am going to struggle playing a Ubisoft formula game for a while.I just see all the side missions now (stagecoach/bank robbery, Horse/Stagecoach Races, Clearing Indian/Mexican forts, Bounty Hunting and Duels.

Hopefully RDR2 will get a PC release as the first was the best game I owned on the brief time I owned a console.
Randam
(05-09-2017, 03:37 PM)

Originally Posted by limination

I thought Far Cry 4 and Primal were trash but this

this i could get behind

What?

Primal ok, but 4?
big_erk
(05-09-2017, 03:39 PM)

Originally Posted by EatChildren

My son loves these games. I watch him playing them with this glazed over look in my eyes. Kind of the same look I get while he's playing COD. I hope WWII changes this though. I've missed WWII COD games.
SG-17
(05-09-2017, 03:39 PM)

Horizon and Far Cry do not use the same formula.
Horns
(05-09-2017, 03:40 PM)
Interesting. Wonder what their marketing strategy was with RDR coming out this year....maybe.
jschreier
(05-09-2017, 04:05 PM)
Hey - since my name has been attached to this thing, I just want to be clear: all I've heard is that the new Far Cry is set in Montana. I cannot confirm or deny anything "wild west" or "19th century," and all of that stuff actually feels like a big stretch from bottom-feeding rumor websites. I have no idea whether or not it's true.
Amory
(05-09-2017, 04:06 PM)
Dude, yes.

This is going to be awesome.
Jawmuncher

Originally Posted by jschreier

Hey - since my name has been attached to this thing, I just want to be clear: all I've heard is that the new Far Cry is set in Montana. I cannot confirm or deny anything "wild west" or "19th century," and all of that stuff actually feels like a big stretch from bottom-feeding rumor websites. I have no idea whether or not it's true.

Dinosaurs Confirmed
Hux1ey
Banned
Definitely intrigued hope they change up the gameplay structure a bit though, so bored of the same old Far Cry progression.
xrnzaaas
(05-09-2017, 04:09 PM)
Man this is going to be rushed so much to avoid RDR2 like the plague.

But hey, the more Wild West games the better. Primal was allright despite some "lazy devs" stuff. ;)
applesaucejaxon
(05-09-2017, 04:09 PM)
Oh my god, I hope this is true! I'll be all over this one if true... when it's $30 on Black Friday
Demoncarnotaur
(05-09-2017, 04:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Jawmuncher

Where the fuck are the dinosaurs. This better be Valley of Gwangi inspired

This would be the best game ever.