• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Project Rap Rabbit (Parappa x Gitaroo Man creators)

Update: Nintendo Switch version now at 1,5m.

Kickstarter
Kickstarter Video

Just over 20 years ago, Masaya Matsuura and NanaOn-Sha released rhythm-action classic PaRappa The Rapper on PlayStation. Like many gamers, I was enthralled by this pioneering narrative music game; it inspired me to pursue a career as a rhythm-action game developer and, ultimately, to co-found iNiS and create Gitaroo Man on PlayStation 2.

Over the years, Matsuura-san and I have had many requests to bring back PaRappa The Rapper and Gitaroo Man respectively. We are both so grateful for the outpouring of love from the fans of these titles. At the same time, we've long-discussed a concept we've been referring to as ‘rhythm-action 2.0': an evolution of music gaming that will pave the way for the future of the genre.

Now, we're ready to share that vision with you.

It gives me great pleasure to unveil the Kickstarter campaign for Project Rap Rabbit. The first-ever collaboration between NanaOn-Sha and iNiS J, Project Rap Rabbit is a brand-new type of rhythm-action game that fuses elements from our past titles with mechanics fresh to music gaming. Our adventure is the story of rapping rabbit Toto-Maru and his sidekick Otama-Maru as they travel through a world recovering from a great catastrophe. By fighting the leaders of neighbouring factions via the medium of rap battles, our heroes can bring about peace to their troubled lands.

To truly convey the dynamic nature of rap battles, we realised we could no longer be constrained to the established linear song templates of older titles. Instead, we had to invent a system that enables players to pick and choose how their raps unfold: a spider web of lyrics, rhythms and emotions that players can steer through depending on their wishes and the opponent's moves.
rabbit6fuaz.png

There are no wrong routes through our songs – the heart of Project Rap Rabbit's gameplay mechanics still involves rhythmic beat-matching – but different paths through each battle will unlock bespoke bonuses and outcomes. It's a system that draws inspiration from the dialogue wheels of Mass Effect and Fallout 4, as well as the classic call-and-response gameplay established two decades ago in PaRappa The Rapper.

We believe that Project Rap Rabbit represents the future of rhythm-action gaming, and we hope to make it the first instalment of our return to story-driven music adventures. With your assistance, we cannot wait to bring our mash-up of musical styles, cultures and gameplay systems to life. Our intent is to establish a new benchmark for the genre, and a music game without equal.

Thank you for your continued support of our titles, and with your help we can make rhythm-action great again.
rabbit2pbu47.png

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...hm-action-hero-project-rap-rabbit/#sf78880779

Project-Rap-Rabbit-Kickstarter_05-15-17_002.jpg
Project-Rap-Rabbit-Kickstarter_05-15-17_003.jpg

C_35iqlVYAA9It3.jpg:large

I kinda feel like the whole Kickstarter thing has run its course by now. Just don't really seem to hear a lot about those kind of projects these days.

Also, I got it into my head that this game was already well into development for some reason.

DNAbro

ehhhh it's almost 5 million for a Nintendo Switch version. I'm not even 100% it can reach the funding amount.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
It's a shame that the XB1 and Switch goals are SO high. At this point, I'd love to see some publisher taking this over for a multiplatform release.

Anyway, off to pledge for a digital copy. Here's hoping more systems get this game!

Add to the fact them goals are insane

I'm not sure they're insane as much as they're realistic. I always see developers here mentioning how ridiculous it is that some KS games have additional platforms or modes down for barely any increase in KS funding. That shit isn't cheap and it seems like they're being upfront about how expensive this will be.

Camjo-Z

The Phat tier is mine, if I can avoid any big spending by the end of the KS I'm upgrading to the Hardcore edition.

I'm a little concerned at the goal though, I hope a million is feasible. PaRappa has a big reputation and I could easily see this blasting past a million if it were a new game in that series, but as a new IP it could be a tougher sell.

I kinda feel like the whole Kickstarter thing has run its course by now. Just don't really seem to hear a lot about those kind of projects these days.

Also, I got it into my head that this game was already well into development for some reason.

Considering the release date (and its placement on the PlayStation Blog) I wonder if the kickstarter is more for proof of interest. Didn't Bloodstained worked the same way, they had some backing but needed KickStarter for the rest?

Hero

Those funding goals seem ridiculously high, especially with ports to other systems being so high. I also don't have faith this will be released in the time frame they are claiming.

Ridley327

Considering the release date (and its placement on the PlayStation Blog) I wonder if the kickstarter is more for proof of interest. Didn't Bloodstained worked the same way, they had some backing but needed KickStarter for the rest?

Bloodstained had a lower funding requirement than this one does, which represented 10% of what IGA got from their principal funder. If you took that same math, that would put the potential budget of this game at more than $10 million, which would be insane for a rhythm game that isn't trafficking with licensed tracks.

Bloodstained had a lower funding requirement than this one does, which represented 10% of what IGA got from their principal funder. If you took that same math, that would put the potential budget of this game at more than $10 million, which would be insane for a rhythm game that isn't trafficking with licensed tracks.

I'd also assume that a music/rhythm game is a bigger gamble then IGA's game, at a time when Kickstarter has lost some luster. They may need to provide more funding

LiK

I respect their previous games but I was never a fan of playing them. Good luck to them. I'm expecting them to reach the goal. I'll just be watching to see how this goes.

Pachael

I'm thinking it's closer to Amplitude or Shenmue III in that the success of the KS will mean additional funds from Sony third party, the difference here is that they are entertaining ports to other systems.

I believe that will explain the PS blog post but crickets everywhere else. Of the titles they are famous for, other than Ouendan they are all on Playstation systems. Parappa was even a fighter in PSASBR, which indicates a close familiarity with Playstation (like say, Tekken)

I know those are fairly realistic numbers for game development but that's a loooot of money for a niche game like this, I think. People definitely want a new game in this style so I guess we will see. I'd be interested to see the numbers on the Parappa remaster and if it's done well enough to give them confidence. Not that they'd get to see those numbers I suppose.

Camjo-Z

That backer only level is kind of sleazy, I doubt it'll reach the Xbox One stretch goal.

Yeah, something like a backer-only costume is fine but to have 1/7th of the game potentially locked behind a campaign that not everyone will be able to pledge to is a bit much. Hopefully it would be DLC down the line for everyone else.

Bazry

So basically its $1.1m for a PC/PS4 version but if you want a Switch version they want an extra $3.85m

Makes sense

Yohane

Like I said in the other thread:

I don't expect nothing from this game (teaser looks super cheap) but I'd beck only because I love Gitaroo to death

Top Bottom