• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

You don't have OCD
Look at this... all the bloody cover papers are UNEVEN!
qfb5kY4.png

Also, games not in alphabetical order running left to right... heck, this is triggering my OCD for pointing out non-OCD!

I'm not liking the new UI. It's a bit clunky, but maybe I'm not use to it.

Anyways pretty good introduction (had a little bit of awakening). Music is great, except for the over world theme (don't really like that one). The song at the beginning of the game is fantastic tho.

Dungeons movement play almost extactly like SMT IV. Except these are really short so far. i have no idea who to make who what class.

I just picked one of everything. Magic seems really strong at the moment.

Steiner

Banned
I'm not liking the new UI. It's a bit clunky, but maybe I'm not use to it.

Anyways pretty good introduction (had a little bit of awakening). Music is great, except for the over world theme (don't really like that one). The song at the beginning of the game is fantastic tho.

Dungeons movement play almost extactly like SMT IV. Except these are really short so far. i have no idea who to make who what class.

I just picked one of everything. Magic seems really strong at the moment.

Magic is indeed strong, but in longer battles you have to be careful. When you know you may get hit, and HP is going to be razor-thin, the fact that casting spells costs you HP really hits hard.

Rodin

Just finished the first dungeon, loving everything so far. These also have to be the best graphics and some of the best production values on the system. It's amazing.

Btw should i change class for the civilians/citizens or pull a Donnel and max this class first? I'm more inclined to change it right away, they're pretty weak atm.

Linkark07

Banned
Just finished the first dungeon, loving everything so far. These also have to be the best graphics and some of the best production values on the system. It's amazing.

Btw should i change class for the civilians/citizens or pull a Donnel and max this class first? I'm more inclined to change it right away, they're pretty weak atm.

Actually...

OT title should be "Yes, promote asap" because that's what everyone will be asking first thing 90% of times.

So yes, do it. I didn't see any purpose keeping them as Villagers.

Rodin

Always promote everyone immediately. Doesn't matter who they are or what class they're in.

Actually...

And yes, do it. I didn't see any purpose keeping them as Villagers.
Thanks.

I wanted to make Faye an archer like in Heroes but i can't apparently, guess it's either pegasus knight or sorceress.

Tell us more.
Dungeons are structured a bit like that. There are enemies that roam around and you can strike them to gain an advantage. Conversations with NPCs are also really similar.

So I FINALLY got a Switch, am 5 hours into Breath of the Wild, addicted, and then I get an email saying Fire Emblem Echoes is on the way.

D:

woopWOOP

It seems to be but serenesforest does not mention double stat gains. They are still a rare drop from a brigand (0.01%) but they don't appear in their inventory and come in an initially unusable form. The rings are still helpful but quite as broken as they were.
So no double stat gain? Good
It made any level up without the ring equipped feel like a waste and carefully planning each level up by passing the ring around was no fun either.

Lunar15

Sounds like maps, while simple, are much shorter than in Fates.

While conquest's maps were really well designed, I can't deny that some of them felt way too long.

Shiggy

So far I think it's much better than Fates. I really like the voice acting and the auto-scrolling in dialogues. Not seeing any issues with the maps so far.

There's no "easy easy mode", right? A mode where you cannot die at all as in Fates.

Sounds like maps, while simple, are much shorter than in Fates.

While conquest's maps were really well designed, I can't deny that some of them felt way too long.

I'd chalk that up to the lack of rewinds / checkpoints more than anything. You can generally separate a Conquest map into three distinct parts, each part lasting 2 or 3 turns. Effing up the third part is the worst though as you're forced to do the previous parts again. Conquest's difficulty then starts working against itself as you expend extra mental resources just making sure you don't mess up again on your way to the third part. I found it a bit much too. Can't imagine less hardcore players.

SoV on the other hand generally features 1-parters, but they last much longer (Thanks, summoners, deserts, swamps. >.>). SoV's simpler encounter design and the rewind function make it less mentally taxing in the end though.

jackal27

Banned
So I FINALLY got a Switch, am 5 hours into Breath of the Wild, addicted, and then I get an email saying Fire Emblem Echoes is on the way.

D:
I'm 115 hours into Breath of the Wild. 70 into Persona 5. Just found Fire Emblem is on its way and I want to diiiieeeee.

So Alm is like Link.

Because three ladies already like him and it's only been 1 1/2 hour into the game.
And you can't marry any of them :( The feature that should have been priority #1

Nbz

So does anyone know if supports are limited to 5 like the GBA games, or has this adopted the Fates/Awakening model if being able to support as much as you want

So does anyone know if supports are limited to 5 like the GBA games, or has this adopted the Fates/Awakening model if being able to support as much as you want

You can have everyone be best friends with everyone! (No limit to # of conversations)
...Provided they even want to be friends. (Not many in the first place)

Off the top of my head, the only characters even capable of exceeding the GBA 5 convo limit are the Whitewings. EDIT: Well, there's more than that, but a lot of characters get just one or two people they can support.

LousyTactician

Neo Member
I just picked this up from Gamestop.

78ytOnA.jpg

For those who played the game before the NA release: What difficulty would you recommend I play on? I'm pretty experienced with the FE series (I've been playing them since FE7), and like a decent challenge. But I usually don't go for Maniac difficulty. I'm currently leaning towards Hard Mode.

I'm playing on Hard and seems really easy so far. Alm is pretty good and I got three people who can use magic.

Probably just a warm until you face non-brigands. I see that Armor knight sitting near the fortress, gotta be a boss battle.

Is there a reason you shouldn't recurit someone?

this gameeeeeeeee

The dialogue and voice acting are so good, my god. I was initially upset at the lack of dual audio, and while I still wish it was an option, I don't really miss it as much as I did with Fates. The (small memory prism spoiler)
mule line in the Python/Forsyth memory prism with Forsyth's voice actor actually making a whip sound absolutely destroyed me

Started in hard mode, doesn't seem too terribly difficult so far. I'm also loving Mila's Turnwheel, it seems like the perfect balance between casual and classic. I hope it makes a return in subsequent entries.

CBTech

As someone who didn't like Awakening, didn't touch Fates, but loved the GBA and Radiant games, how does this one hold up? All of the trailers look good, but I've read a few lukewarm reviews.

jackal27

Banned
As someone who didn't like Awakening, didn't touch Fates, but loved the GBA and Radiant games, how does this one hold up? All of the trailers look good, but I've read a few lukewarm reviews.
Don't forget that many of the games you liked got lukewarm reviews. This will be more of throwback like returning to those games is, so I think you'll enjoy this. Don't forget that it's a remake of an NES game though.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member

I haven't played Echoes yet, but keep in mind many of the lukewarm reviews are written by people who started with or preferred Awakening/Fates style FE. Doesn't devalue their opinions, but that's the perspective many reviewers are coming from.

Taruranto

It's basically Sacred Stone but with worse gameplay so far. Which means it has the charm of old FE (especially thanks to Hidari's art), but the gameplay is really basic and significantly worse, especially the map design.

I would say get Conquest instead if you haven't played it.

Currently at the end of Alm's route of chapter 1 (?)
I assume you can't beat Desaix in this map but I can't help but tempted to get his dracoshield. >_<

Acid08

Banned
Great game, nice story, the cast of the characters is handsome and
it's not like usual FE where you recruit a new unit and it disappear completly in the story/plot.

Other than that, gameplay wise the maps are almost ALL horrible to manage, just huge empy places where there is no strategic values other than the terrain effects.
The 90% of my playthrough were, put heroes on woods --> wait enemy --> destroy enemy with ranged units and finish them with melee ones (sometimes opposite depending by the counter of the enemy units)

I had a lot of feels when playing it, it was like play a old gba FE game in the end.

I hope that intsys will continue this trend and not the "waifu" collection madness

In the end, it's the best FE on 3ds.

yeah my guy....sounds super awesome.

PK Gaming

If you loved the GBA and especially the Radiant games, I think you'll be at home with Echoes. That said, the gameplay is pretty mediocre when compared to most FE games, so if you're the type of person who loathes repetitive maps/grindey gameplay, then i'd consider passing on this game.

jzbluz

These maps feel too baren; I wish the maps were either smaller or had more enemies on them.

Currently at the end of Alm's route of chapter 1 (?)
I assume you can't beat Desaix in this map but I can't help but tempted to get his dracoshield. >_<

It's a slog but apparently you can. I screwed so I'm going to try again.

Draxal

If you loved the GBA and especially the Radiant games, I think you'll be at home with Echoes. That said, the gameplay is pretty mediocre when compared to most FE games, so if you're the type of person who loathes repetitive maps/grindey gameplay, then i'd consider passing on this game.

Sacred Stones is very much a spiritual sequel to this game. So if u liked that one alot, I would look into this one.

ryseing

LE is here. Pins are incredible, though I have no idea how I'm going to display them. Artbook is going right next to my Awakening artbook.

I'm not going to be able to find the amiibo, am I? These are ones I actually want dammit.

The maps are definitely large and mostly empty.
But I feel like so far the game makes up for it with the extra exploration and the down to earth story (which I prefer to whatever Fates was...).

What's a good difficulty level to start with? I was comfortable with Conquest Normal and Birthright Hard, and Awakening Normal was too easy for me. Radiant Dawn's "Normal" is probably my upper limit.

Linkark07

Banned
What's a good difficulty level to start with? I was comfortable with Conquest Normal and Birthright Hard, and Awakening Normal was too easy for me. Radiant Dawn's "Normal" is probably my upper limit.
Right now I'm playing on Hard Casual. At the beginning it feels too easy but after you finish Celica's chapter, the difficulty ramps up.

Or my units are underleveled, but even Alm and Celica are having problems.

Problem of using casual is you can abuse retreat easily.

Dad

Should I let my villagers hit level cap before class changing? Playing on Hard/Classic if it makes a difference

Draxal

Should I let my villagers hit level cap before class changing? Playing on Hard/Classic if it makes a difference

Nope, because of how promotion gains work in this game.

Once, somebody posts a more detailed reason I'll add it to the OT.

Top Bottom