• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Ah damn, yeah I was afraid of that. Good things have to come to an end eventually. Still some optional stuff left though.

Nope I can't go back it seems.

station lock down still very much in effect.

Don't worry, you'll still have a chance to do other stuff. You're not at the point of no return yet.

Just finished it last night. 37 hrs on nightmare. Took my time and did a lot/most? of sidequests.
Refreshingly difficult. Amazing level design. So many ways find solutions/be creative.
One of the best Sci-fi games I have played and up there with the original Deus Ex for me. Hope people dont sleep on this game.

I wanna try out Dishonored now, since i always avoided it because of the stealth elements. Should I skip 1 and go for 2 straight ahead or play 1 first? Or is stealth a really big element in the game?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How long did it take you to complete? Did you rush? I could imagine it getting too hard if you mainlined the story and didn't explore enough.

I finished it in 15 hours, and a lot of that was dying lol. It seems I just didn't play it how you're "meant" to play it. I guess I didn't know exactly what type of game I was buying, I tried the demo and loved the atmosphere, story and pretty much everything else so I bought it and for the first few hours the game was exactly what I had hoped for, and then it turned into what it actually is and that's when I started to dislike it. Had I known beforehand it was this type of game I just wouldn't have bought it.

Stranya

Just finished it last night. 37 hrs on nightmare. Took my time and did a lot/most? of sidequests.
Refreshingly difficult. Amazing level design. So many ways find solutions/be creative.
One of the best Sci-fi games I have played and up there with the original Deus Ex for me. Hope people dont sleep on this game.

I wanna try out Dishonored now, since i always avoided it because of the stealth elements. Should I skip 1 and go for 2 straight ahead or play 1 first? Or is stealth a really big element in the game?
They're both great, and you'll get more out of 2 if you play 1 first, so I'd say play the first. And play the story DLC too, it's really good.

Stealth is a big element, but you don't have to. You're playing an assassin, and there are skills and gadgets useful for any play style.

GavinUK86

Well I finally finished it and honestly I did not enjoy it, it just wasn't for me. For the first few hours I loved it, a solid 8.5/10 but after that it got insanely difficult, even on normal difficulty and later easy difficulty enemies were always extremely tough mostly due to the fact that resources were so rare, I was almost always walking around on 30HP with no ammo or items that could help me so I spent a lot of my time dying or running away which just isn't fun at all. I've never done such a massive 180 on a game before. I really struggled to finish it in the end, especially once those bloody
military bots
came into it, they would literally kill me in 2 seconds on easy difficult and they were absolutely everywhere and relentless.

I don't mind games that are hard and rewarding or if they're tough but it makes sense but that's not Prey for me, Prey was just frustrating and overtuned, even when I switched it to easy enemies would swarm and surround you, constantly harassing you every step of the way and without any resources to deal with them it just became tiresome with the constant deaths. I honestly can't remember disliking a game this much that I actually finished. I think I'm more upset because there's so much I do like, the visuals, audio, atmosphere and some of the gameplay mechanics are really great but at the end of the day fun is most important and I just didn't have any past maybe the 5 hour mark.

That sounds insane. I finished it on Hard and by the midway point I had over 60 health packs and psi hypos. Also had no issues crafting ammo. I think I constantly had about 600 ammo for the Q-Beam which, when upgraded a bit, destroys everything.

Reading your later posts maybe not exploring is what hurt you. You find a lot of junk you can scrap and extra pickups in places where the main plot doesn't take you.

It's that kinda game. Just go slow and explore.

My final playtime was around 55 hours.

kliklik

Banned
Regarding all the people replying to St3v3 now... it's true that exploration would make the game more enjoyable, but for some people, that's really not their gameplay style and the act of exploration is boring and frustrating to them. Sure, always give whatever the game wants from you a try, but if the way the game wants you to play is not enjoyable for you there's no point in forcing yourself to play that way. It's just a fact that not everyone is going to enjoy a game, no matter how great it is.

More linear shooters are probably the better bet, because they will always make sure you have enough ammo before a fight and scattered around during it. For example, Wolfenstein is great, and it doesn't demand you explore or else you'll be left without ammo. It also has more of a focus on combat. I'm guessing Doom is the same way.

If you don't fancy stealth, Dishonored 2 might be more your jam because it adapts better to all hell breaking out, which is probably why there are quite a few people who love 2 but quit on 1. You can even have non-lethal open combat with swords. Dishonored 2 has some of the best level design I've ever seen. The game does a fine job of making sure you understand the world without playing the 1st. It tells you the general story beats of the first game.

BeeDog

Finished the game now. The ending itself was by far the weakest aspect of the game (heavy spoilers):

The visuals of the Apex, how it changes the majority of the station and everything else was great. I went for the Nullwave ending and really didn't like how brief the cutscene of the blast was, then BAM! Credits. But lo and behold, a post-credits scene shows up that completely uproots everything the game was about. I liked how your choices throughout the game came back in a well-acted way, but I didn't like yet another binary choice there, and the entire premise of this being a mimic simulation.

Still, I had tons of fun with this game (38 hours to do pretty much everything), an excellent hybrid of BioShock and Deus Ex. After it has been patched a bit I'll probably return to it and finish off the rest of the trophies.

roytheone

Are operators super glitchy for anyone else? They keep getting stuck at everything, often even blocking the elevators forcing me to leave and reenter the area to clear them. It's annoying.

Both are awesome. I would tell you to play Dishonored 1 then 2

Porcupine

I gave up on the game around the Arboretum, but I played 80% on Normal with a ramp up to Hard for the remainder. I always had 100+ pistol bullets, 60+ shotgun shells and 15+ health packs once I hit those numbers.

Being able to kill everything with two shotgun blasts is a great way to conserve absolutely everything.

I gave up on the game around the same place, too. I feel absolutely overpovered, I have over 60 Psy-Hypos, over 50 Medipacks and hundreds of bullets for nearly every weapon.
I can just run through everything, exploration doesn't reward me with anything and enemys are just annoying. I've been running into a lot of KI-Bugs, especially with the Nightmare enemy and had several crashes in the last few hours.
The story isn't interesting enough to drag me through this, so I gave up on the game. :/
It's a shame because I'm a big fan of Bioshock and Dishonored.

DocSeuss

I finished it.

Extremely good exploration.

Genius ideas/mechanical implementations (Gloo, Recycler, Crafting, etc).

Boring story and atmosphere.

Bad combat.

Everyone should get this game unless they're the kind of person who only cares about VNs. Gameplay is extremely good stuff.

Granjinha

I finished it.

Extremely good exploration.

Genius ideas/mechanical implementations (Gloo, Recycler, Crafting, etc).

Boring story and atmosphere.

Bad combat.

Everyone should get this game unless they're the kind of person who only cares about VNs. Gameplay is extremely good stuff.

I only disagree with boring atmosphere. I think Talos 1 was incredible and really well realized. The story is boring though (the side quests and worldbuilding however are really cool)

Drazgul

Did I just imagine it or did they demo the gloo gun as being able to build bridges and stuff in one of the early videos? The glue just bounces off of each other and drops to the ground.

Stoze

Did I just imagine it or did they demo the gloo gun as being able to build bridges and stuff in one of the early videos? The glue just bounces off of each other and drops to the ground.
I don't think GLOO was ever shown being able to stack on itself, it was always touching walls or floors. You can build bridges and ladders as long as they're along a surface.

noomi

Sometimes I wish I could completely forget an experience I had with a game just to play it fresh again and enjoy it without knowing anything. Prey was absolutely outstanding in my eyes.

Will play through Prey again in a few years. Had fun reading through this OT, time to move onto the next backlogged game though.

Cheers.

Your loss.

j7uU6yX.png

lol nope. Gamefly exists for games released in a poor state like prey.

Got to deep storage last night.

Sometimes I wish I could completely forget an experience I had with a game just to play it fresh again and enjoy it without knowing anything. Prey was absolutely outstanding in my eyes.

Will play through Prey again in a few years. Had fun reading through this OT, time to move onto the next backlogged game though.

Cheers.

Prey will be always be there for you when you want to play it again :)

ilium

Arrived at Crew Quarters and wonder where the
Telepath is that has the people there under control. Is it the one I saw peeking through a door at one of the hull breeches? Tried catching him, but was gone by the I time arrived..

Profanity

Telepath is that has the people there under control. Is it the one I saw peeking through a door at one of the hull breeches? Tried catching him, but was gone by the I time arrived..

Nope, it's in the area somewhere.

Hopefully you've noticed that the mind-controlled people are all walking towards a common destination.

kliklik

Banned
Oh my god the cook in Crew Quarters!

When I left after he asked for the medal, the unconscious people I saved in the pool area had been dragged out to the main hall. :-S That was...surprisingly unsettling. I went to explore the recreation centre instead. When I finished in there and tried to get back, the exit was barricaded with luggage dollies.

I could tell he was a fraud because the pic of Will Mitchell in recordings at the front desk was someone completely different and the personnel tracker for him shows he's dead and inside the kitchen. I knew he was going to lock me in the freezer but I wanted to complete the quest. I had to melt the ice to get back out and now I have a Ukrainian ex-con trying to recycle me.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Goddamnit Arkane! Why on earth password for Treasure Hunt quest must be randomised? Looking for numbers on walls all over the station wasn't enough? I hate this shit and I don't have time or desire to type millions of combinations to unlock the damn treasure. Where's the fucking fun in that? Damn.

Profanity

Goddamnit Arkane! Why on earth password for Treasure Hunt quest must be randomised? Looking for numbers on walls all over the station wasn't enough? I hate this shit and I don't have time or desire to type millions of combinations to unlock the damn treasure. Where's the fucking fun in that? Damn.

What's even funnier is if you use a code from a game guide, it recognises you cheated and you can fabricate a chip that nerfs you in a few ways! Not sure why you'd use it, but a pretty neat touch nonetheless.

This is quickly becoming one of my favorites this gen. The atmosphere, music, graphics, enemies, story, and voice acting are all excellent. And the combat isn't bad, it's just stiff. If you can handle Bioshock 1, Prey is exactly the same.

Oh my god the cook in Crew Quarters!

When I left after he asked for the medal, the unconscious people I saved in the pool area had been dragged out to the main hall. :-S That was...surprisingly unsettling. I went to explore the recreation centre instead. When I finished in there and tried to get back, the exit was barricaded with luggage dollies.

I could tell he was a fraud because the pic of Will Mitchell in recordings at the front desk was someone completely different and the personnel tracker for him shows he's dead and inside the kitchen. I knew he was going to lock me in the freezer but I wanted to complete the quest. I had to melt the ice to get back out and now I have a Ukrainian ex-con trying to recycle me.

This was one of the very few things I reloaded a save for, less because I was unsatisfied with how it turned out and more because I wanted to see what would happen if I tried something different.
I was suspicious of that fucker from pretty early on and as soon as I heard the voice log I was like "no way that's Will Mitchell." I did as you did, went into the freezer because I thought it was the only way to finish that quest. Turns out, you can kill or stun him as soon as he tells you to walk into the freezer, and the game's like "cool quest solved." The writeup in your objectives log also changes to reflect that you kind of knew he was a sketchball.

Regarding another quest you get in Crew Quarters:
unfortunately, stunning the cook is not enough for a quest related to the person you find inside the freezer and her lover.

Nope, I was sneaking around orienting myself, saw the
Telepath
outside the station and went running to catch it assuming this was my guy

Ah. Well, assuming you haven't screwed any scripting up (I don't think you did but who knows how easy it is to break),
if you can find where all the mind-controlled people are headed or perhaps already are, you should find your telepath.
Good luck!

kliklik

Banned
This was one of the very few things I reloaded a save for, less because I was unsatisfied with how it turned out and more because I wanted to see what would happen if I tried something different.
I was suspicious of that fucker from pretty early on and as soon as I heard the voice log I was like "no way that's Will Mitchell." I did as you did, went into the freezer because I thought it was the only way to finish that quest. Turns out, you can kill or stun him as soon as he tells you to walk into the freezer, and the game's like "cool quest solved." The writeup in your objectives log also changes to reflect that you kind of knew he was a sketchball.

Regarding another quest you get in Crew Quarters:
unfortunately, stunning the cook is not enough for a quest related to the person you find inside the freezer and her lover.

Oh wow that's cool the writeup changes to reflect it. I noticed that the chef's dialogue changes based on whether you fix, fetch, or already have the water regulator, so I guess I should've expected that they have their bases covered in reflecting your choices.

Oh I suppose Danielle won't be super happy that the chef killed her gf. I'm guessing she sends you to kill him eh? Does she yell at you for having just stunned him?

I am nearing the ending and I want to finish up the loose ends.

These side quests, not sure if spoiler tags are needed but hey...

Drunk tank. I should find a Price Broadway in Life Support. According to the waypoint he's directly under me now but I've no idea how to get there.

Missing engineer. In Power plant I should find a Jean Faure. Can't find the person.

Talos smuggling ring. I haven't found any other drop points. Is this a YouTube matter?

Treasure hunt. I've yet to find Emma Beatty's map. And I need to investigate Stabfellows and Melindra's map. How do I even investigate them?

kliklik

Banned
Drunk tank. I should find a Price Broadway in Life Support. According to the waypoint he's directly under me now but I've no idea how to get there.

Missing engineer. In Power plant I should find a Jean Faure. Can't find the person.

Talos smuggling ring. I haven't found any other drop points. Is this a YouTube matter?

Treasure hunt. I've yet to find Emma Beatty's map. And I need to investigate Stabfellows and Melindra's map. How do I even investigate them?

Drunk Tank: Water Treatment Facility. Take the lift down to the lower level within that area and you'll find eel tanks and eel scraps. Use the options on the computer there to harvest eels.

Smuggling Ring: the alarm panels with hidden stashes are the ones with red lights above them. One of them was directly above the woman on whom you found a recording about them (in Arboretum). Ya at this point you might as well look it up on Youtube. Would've been better to find them as you played.

Treasure Hunt: Emma Beatty carries her map with her. She's in Crew Quarters in the swimming pool area on the first floor. She's mind-controlled.

I am nearing the ending and I want to finish up the loose ends.

These side quests, not sure if spoiler tags are needed but hey...

Find a way to open the eel-tank.
She is high up in the reactor room.

Oh wow that's cool the writeup changes to reflect it. I noticed that the chef's dialogue changes based on whether you fix, fetch, or already have the water regulator, so I guess I should've expected that they have their bases covered in reflecting your choices.

Oh I suppose Danielle won't be super happy that the chef killed her gf. I'm guessing she sends you to kill him eh? Does she yell at you for having just stunned him?

No, the game doesn't seem to really acknowledge his unconscious state for the purposes of that quest. Probably because it'd be weird to be like "oh hi Danielle you know that guy who killed your girl, well, I totally knocked him out and stuff so it's fine!" Put a bullet between his eyes or nothing.

well, I suppose you could bash him to death too

Optional quest for Mikhaila

I am supposed to listen to the audiolog together with her in my office. Yet the audiolog isn't on my pc at all. Neither is it in my data>audio logs.

Mikhaila says she has it and is downloading it and waiting for me to listen to it.

In Deep Storage I listened to it and then decided to transfer it. It was then deleted. What is going on? What should I do?

OBias

I am supposed to listen to the audiolog together with her in my office. Yet the audiolog isn't on my pc at all. Neither is it in my data>audio logs.

Mikhaila says she has it and is downloading it and waiting for me to listen to it.

In Deep Storage I listened to it and then decided to transfer it. It was then deleted. What is going on? What should I do?

It's either a glitch or you misclicked on
the deletion option
. The audiolog is supposed to appear on your computer.

It's either a glitch or you misclicked on
the deletion option
. The audiolog is supposed to appear on your computer.

Yeah it worked now man. It was a bit odd. When I arrived in the office nothing new was on the computer, had to talk a few times to here even if the dialog wasn't about it at all and then it appeared on the TV.

Now I'm going to
Alex and hear his story. Finally! Because as much as I've enjoyed the game, it really was a it light on the story, not in terms of tons of emails and voice logs I've found but the main story basically. Time for clarity.

Keep talking to her in your office. The file will show up on your computer after a few dialogs.

I have a question... is there any way to complete Mixed Signals
(the satellite quest) without having high level repair skills to open the moon door?
That was the only quest in the game that I could not see an alternate solution for.

Keep talking to her in your office. The file will show up on your computer after a few dialogs.

(the satellite quest) without having high level repair skills to open the moon door?
That was the only quest in the game that I could not see an alternate solution for.
I don't believe so. I tried and looked all over and it seems to be the only way.

Yup. The quest is finished now.

It does seem I won't be able to finish the Treasure Hunt quest anymore. Went back to the pool area in Crew Quarters and all the unconscious bodies are gone. Damn! :(

I got some more clarity on things. It's not over yet. Tomorrow is a good time for that.

But..... i have Press Sneak! Haha.

SomTervo

Cross post from PC perf thread:

Anyone else getting this 'everything is black' renderer error now? All the time? When facing certain directions?

What setting do I have to turn off to fix that???

As far as I can tell it's to do with Looking Glasses. Whenever you're pointed the direction of a Looking Glass (anywhere in the game world) the rendering fucks up and everything goes black + grainy.

I finished it in 15 hours, and a lot of that was dying lol. It seems I just didn't play it how you're "meant" to play it. I guess I didn't know exactly what type of game I was buying, I tried the demo and loved the atmosphere, story and pretty much everything else so I bought it and for the first few hours the game was exactly what I had hoped for, and then it turned into what it actually is and that's when I started to dislike it. Had I known beforehand it was this type of game I just wouldn't have bought it.

But if you played it the 'proper' way you might have enjoyed it hugely and had an amazing time - even if it would have taken you 30 hours instead of 15.

Surely that's worth it? Sometimes putting more time in for a better experience is worthwhile because the enjoyment you get will be exponentially greater. Of course you didn't know what kind of game it was, but surely playing it the "right" way - and meeting the game on its own terms - could have led you to an all-time great experience like most people on here are having?

I'm a firm believer that pushing through stuff you're not sure about/aren't enjoying is almost always more than worth it (if the thing is receiving rave reviews). For instance, I didn't enjoy The Wire at all for two seasons but Season 3 and 4 were some of the best shit I've ever experienced - and if I had quit out when the going was slow I would have missed out on GOAT shit, better than most shows I've seen in my life. In gaming terms, I had similar experiences with The Witcher, System Shock 2, etc.

Sometimes it's worth meeting stuff on its own terms rather than trying to force what you want/expect onto it.

munroe

Ok I found out that
Morgan Yu is dead from the start.
When/where/why did that happen?

I dont recall anyone saying anything of the sort at the start, who said what?

Yep, as long as you have the mimic ability
There's a small hole on the top of the moon door near one of the corners

Lime

ugh I thought the Cook's Request quest forced you to
kill the fake cook before he freezes you, because I thought the freezing meant death and that
I had to reload my savepoint and do something else. Now I'm already 2-3 hours away from that point and don't want to go through all my progress once more just to fix one single quest trigger.

How much does this little tiny thing affect which ending I'm getting?

FelipeMGM

The Disruptor stun gun is great against technopaths. Not sure if it's the most efficient way but I was always killing the nightmare with Q-Beam.

Upgraded Q-Beam + Combat Focus kills Technomancers and Telepaths in no time. If you start when they're unaware one Combat Focus should do it. You don't even need to nullify their powers.

Upgraded shotgun + Combat Focus can take a Nightmare out pretty good. Takes about 9-10 shells.

The stun gun is great against just about everything in the game. It's range and stun time are absurd when upgraded and firing weapons at it don't break the stun, unlike GLOO.

Near the end of my playthrough, I honestly found myself inadvertently shying away from using stun gun and combat focus just so I could actually fight and improvise in combat instead of hitting the win button (either way it was fun though).

Man, Im almost 20h in and still havent used the Stun Gun and Combat Focus

guess I should try them...

Finally finished this game. It was a great ride, though I have some mixed feelings about the ending.

Not sure the twist ending really worked for me. Unless I'm wrong I don't think there's anything you can go back to in the game that makes you go 'of course, I should have seen it all along'. A good twist should always enable you to do that. But this just feels a bit tacked on and as a result it doesn't really add anything to the story.

Still a great game though. Extremely well designed and crafted. I'd say almost everything in the game works and all the parts fit together. It seems like it's increasingly rare these days that a game feels so cohesive, and not kinda slipshod.

Top Bottom