• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 4

Wait I thought I wasn't supposed to run?
how do you get past the dark corridor without running?

Don't run into enemies before you get a certain item, basically
normal blind protection might work as well without the night goggles, never tested it.
. Autosaves are your friend in that section.

Don't run into enemies before you get a certain item, basically
normal blind protection might work as well without the night goggles, never tested it.
. Autosaves are your friend in that section.

Perhaps the brightness is off on my laptop since I can't see shit and it feels random. Thanks for the suggestion on auto save

Finished! Such a wonderful ending. Probably the best of the Sky trilogy, at least as good as SC for me. Love these characters so much. Star Door 14 made me so hype for future games.

Ranking so far for me would be
Zero > 3rd >= SC > CS2 > FC > CS.

Baliis

Finally had time to finish tonight and just wow what a fantastic game. The whole build up to the ending was amazing. I've listened to the OST like 100 times now, and finally having "Cry for Your Eternity" kick in was perfect. My only regret was that I thought
it would be 4 bosses then pick a team for the final boss. Ended up going into the last battle with a team of Kevin/Ries/Anelace/fucking Josette. She was basically useless lol.

Had a total ass clenching moment during the last boss though.
I didn't have Kevin's S-break set to Grail Sphere. Have him a zeram powder, and hit s-break... spear of loa, fuck. Ate the bosses S-craft and only Ries lived with 109 hp left. Was about to shit myself when I saw all the 20k+ damages pop up.

Really tempted just to start Zero even though I know my Japanese is pretty rough. I need more Trails.

You can kill them with arts. They never miss.

If you don't have the goggles yet, you can't even see the enemy in battle, it only lets you run.

Ascheroth

Aaand that's a wrap up.

Fantastic game. It's really hard for me to rank those games in any order because I enjoyed them all so much, but it might just be my favorite one from the trilogy by a tiny bit.
Interestingly, while this was Kevin and Ries story first and foremost, I think it was nearly as much about Renne as well. Star Door 15 and her goodbye scene was some extremely powerful stuff.
The last chapter was amazing as well. Having to use every single character by splitting up into 4 groups with their own path each,
and then fighting all 4 bosses one after the other was awesome.
Not to mention the sublime soundtrack throughout this chapter.

Now I really want to play Zero and Ao though :(

Knurek

Hmm, I wrapped up Star Door 10, but haven't received the bonus S-Craft...
The bracer notebook doesn't show the circle by the door, but instead an exclamation mark. What does this mean? Do I have to redo the door, or is my level just too low for now?

Hmm, I wrapped up Star Door 10, but haven't received the bonus S-Craft...
The bracer notebook doesn't show the circle by the door, but instead an exclamation mark. What does this mean? Do I have to redo the door, or is my level just too low for now?

Just go back to Hermit's Garden.

Chapter 6 is amazing. First time I tried the 3rd Guardian I thought it was a joke battle.

This game doesn't pull any punches. It's the completely opposite from CSII final dungeon. No more "I was holding back", only Kevin's awesomeness.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 6 is amazing. First time I tried the 3rd Guardian I thought it was a joke battle.

This game doesn't pull any punches. It's the completely opposite from CSII final dungeon. No more "I was holding back", only Kevin's awesomeness.

There's ways of cheesing that fight, but yeah you can't really alpha strike the Guardian down like CS bosses, you have to hold some of that damage output no matter what. I really like it.

Thud

"Defeat me. That's all."

Team completely destroyed by the fishing game DX

OH GOD THERE'S MORE

Edit 2: whine on gaf clear second and third stage first try easy every time

Chapter 4:

It feels like a storm a brewin'....

Liking these Star Doors. Quick and poignant.

Ehhhhhh yup.

But we got Our Girl Estelle and Our Boy Joshua Heroic Power Couple Spectacular going on now, so it's back to usual again.

Some of these doors are pretty wild too, in a very, well, understanding understated way. I'm getting deep characterization from characters I'd almost forgotten. So good.

Star door 13

I knew Cassius was very competent , but i didn't know he was that competent.

That mean that osborune knew about the attack on the erebonia guild , let it go observe cassius and because it would weaken the bracer guild allowing him to seize power

When i think about it , Wiseman , in SC did say that only that much trouble would have been enough to keep Cassius busy during the events of FC & SC.. What a freaking mess.

I never imagined to read the letter i gave to cassius in Fc prologue here.. damn that take me back.

desmax

Honestly, I played all 3 games without the need for a speedhack. But now I gave up.

I used it to get 400 battles. Now I'll see the rest of the doors

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I assume I'll get some good weapons in the final dungeon for everyone? Trying to decide which ones to make, and I'm leaning toward Julia/Kloe and Mueller/Agate since they all want good weapons. The others that share a weapon type don't matter as much for various reasons.

That last battle on the 7th plane was unexpected. Took a second attempt because I wasn't at all prepared for it on the first go around. Richard is a monster and with a little optimized support he was able to take care of things on the second go.

I assume I'll get some good weapons in the final dungeon for everyone? Trying to decide which ones to make, and I'm leaning toward Julia/Kloe and Mueller/Agate since they all want good weapons. The others that share a weapon type don't matter as much for various reasons.

That last battle on the 7th plane was unexpected. Took a second attempt because I wasn't at all prepared for it on the first go around. Richard is a monster and with a little optimized support he was able to take care of things on the second go.

Every character gets a weapon in the final dungeon and you get enough armor to fill out about half of the group in it. Just make sure you don't go past the super obvious "there's a boss ahead" before you get everything in each area.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Damn the nightmare arena DOESN'T mess around.

I feel like I over prepared. Doing it now. First fight, I finished with full HP on every character. Just finished the second fight, only got hit by one successful attack.

Feeling good about my setup but I doubt it will remain this easy.

Just fought the Star Door 1 battle and lost. Does it have any affect achievement/point wise? I see the rewards are the same, just some different dialogue. Is that it? The previous games would lose out on BP so I'm wary here :p

Eusis

I'll have to switch to the DS4 from the Steam controller I think, I keep getting some rapid fire input thing going on that causes dialogue to be skipped and no idea what's causing it.

If you have the mirror quartz and spread everyone around the last fight isn't very hard. Just S-Break as soon as one of them starts spamming buff up abilities.

I beat the last one , by ganging up as quickly as possible on that overpowered bastard to quickly tear down his Hp and deal with the other one before too many copies are on the field.

I wasn't too hard , but i had to be quick and precise.

Felt good.

Just fought the Star Door 1 battle and lost. Does it have any affect achievement/point wise? I see the rewards are the same, just some different dialogue. Is that it? The previous games would lose out on BP so I'm wary here :p

As far as I know, the only optional fight that would lock you out of a reward if you lose is the one in Star Door 5.

Kvik

The 6th Plane.

Got to where the penultimate guardians were, and Fateful Confrontation guitar riffs kicks in.

Nevermind the boss fight. I sat there for good 15 minutes.

Oh, and Richard with Super Gladiator kit is unbeatable. Basically gave the lower tier Gladiator kit to Kevin and use his Sacrifice Arrow Craft as CP Battery. Continue feeding Richard with CP, enabling him to spam S-Craft till everyone goes down.

So good.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That wasn't too bad at all. My setup was too OP for the whole nightmare arena, on normal mode at least. I didn't have a single character go down for any of the fights, and I think I only had two or three instances of someone going below half HP.

Kevin was pure support. Time + Onyx quartz and speed as high as possible, and a super gladiator belt to quickly build CP for Grail Sphere (not sure if it's faster or the stats are just different). He mostly spammed earth wall, buffs, and the occasional healing and CP sharing when necessary. He was fast enough to get earth walls off immediately nearly every time and got frequent enough turns so I didn't take many hits in any of the fights.

Ries was on art duty but had enough strength to dish out decent physical damage when necessary (usually for positioning). She also had some support tools but only used them when Kevin wasn't getting an opportune turn, which wasn't often. Brought Anelace for her super weapon and Richard because he's OP as hell, both dealt hefty physical damage.

Opened fights turtling and buffing with La Forte/Crest and Clock Up EX. La Crest probably wasn't essentially but still helped when enemies got through my defenses with a strong craft. Since I was blocking most attacks, I stayed huddled rather than going for the spread tactics I've seen a lot of people mention. The exception ended up being Kilika since she ran all over the battlefield, so Anelace and Richard chased her down while Kevin and Ries stuck together for support + art damage.

The 6th Plane.

Got to where the penultimate guardians were, and Fateful Confrontation guitar riffs kicks in.

Nevermind the boss fight. I sat there for good 15 minutes.

Oh, and Richard with Super Gladiator kit is unbeatable. Basically gave the lower tier Gladiator kit to Kevin and use his Sacrifice Arrow Craft as CP Battery. Continue feeding Richard with CP, enabling him to spam S-Craft till everyone goes down.

So good.

I did something like this, too. Eventually everyone had CP recovery/Auto CP up accessories and I was just using items to cure ailments, smashing S-crafts w ith the boring but functional Kevin/Ries/Kloe/Renne.

So Kevin was spamming the hell out of S-breaks while Ries acted as an extra CP battery, Kloe's S-break brought you up, Renne spammed spells.

The later fights are so good. In fact, the arena battle against
Cassius and Loewe
was absolutely phenomenal, as was the final boss.

It feels like they mastered the combat system they created, finally.

I feel someone at Xseed really had too much time localising this game :

sky3_35.png

Also Star Door 14:

My mind is blown , in fact my mind was blown several times. NO wonder they kept that door for last . Ouroboros has plenty of things to tell.

Arthea

yes, a game definitely cheats during that fishing minigame. I need to catch a sea bass to be able to catch any big fish at all, while my opponent doesn't need it. It's beyond frustrating, I lost second time by 4 points... almost screamed out of frustration at that point, lost horribly third time by mostly catching that angelfish, while he was catching good fishies all the time. Fourth time I again was leading all the way till the last round when he caught that 600+ point monstrosity I haven't caught even once and the next time...
I know my luck is legendary, but this is still ridiculous... at least same rules of bait should apply to both of us, because it's not fair.

I finished it ...

and it was amazing

I need more kevin and ries in my trails games.

heck this game made me reconsider heavily what i thought about the church , ouroboros and some characters ( damn cassius , you're just such a powerhouse )

I need to play cold steel 2 , ASAP i'm way too late on that front ...

Yall weren't kidding about the final two party members
Richard's crafts must be jacked because there should be no reason the dude gets that many turns when he spams crafts. Renne's low stamina is fairly irrelevant for how much devasation her magic can bring.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Yall weren't kidding about the final two party members
Richard's crafts must be jacked because there should be no reason the dude gets that many turns when he spams crafts. Renne's low stamina is fairly irrelevant for how much devasation her magic can bring.

Those Crafts have a lower delay after than normal, yeah- I think I saw somewhere that normal crafts/attack is around 30 delay, Estelle's are around 21, and those crafts are like 6.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think the logic behind him is that he is almost entirely a single target attacker. His only area craft is the impede one (which is obviously really good, IIRC Ries is the only other one with area impede and hers is a line). What really pushes him over the edge is his competency at casting on top of that. He might not be in the upper tier of casters, but he's still well above average.

I think the logic behind him is that he is almost entirely a single target attacker. His only area craft is the impede one (which is obviously really good, IIRC Ries is the only other one with area impede and hers is a line). What really pushes him over the edge is his competency at casting on top of that. He might not be in the upper tier of casters, but he's still well above average.

Estelle's hard break is also impede with an AOE. Agate gets a line impede as well.

Lucentto

Banned
Great. Now the final dungeon:
Makes you use everyone

I really hate JRPGs that do that. I really don't want to spend the time to grind everyone out and give them updated gear. Seriously considering to just youtube the ending. I don't have time for this shit.

desmax

Makes you use everyone

I really hate JRPGs that do that. I really don't want to spend the time to grind everyone out and give them updated gear. Seriously considering to just youtube the ending. I don't have time for this shit.

3 or 4 battles and they'll be good to go

Makes you use everyone

The final dongeon will give you updated gear for everyone and you'll have enough xp for everyone in 3 battles

You should be filled with accessories anyway

Tigerfog

Makes you use everyone

I remember playing this game a long time ago and just boosting everyone really quickly by killing shining poms. Try to finish the game though, it's worth it.

Top Bottom