• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2017: Don't talk about the #FifthJob

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
FFVFJF2016.png

Welcome to the NeoGAF thread for the Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2017!

The official page can be found here.

Gilgabot, the official Twitter Bot for the fiesta, is found here.

Hashtag: #FF5FJF2017

This is an event for Child's Play Charity! By making pledges and donations you can affect you and I play the game! And of course raise money for an awesome cause!

Schedule
Now to June 18: Preregistration
June 17: The Run
June 19 - August 31: Play! Play! Play! Get your #victory in!

What is the Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2017?
You play Final Fantasy Five, the best Final Fantasy game. The only difference is, you are allowed only four jobs, one from each crystal. And they are randomly assigned to you. When you beat Exdeath, your picture must show all four of those jobs being used to qualify you as a winner.

Spell that out for me in lots of small words.
As you play Final Fantasy Five, jobs are unlocked at certain parts of the game. The wind crystal, water crystal, fire crystal and earth crystal. When you unlock the wind, water, fire and earth crystal jobs, send a tweet to @FF5ForFutures with #wind, #water, #fire or #earth respectively. You will then be informed of your new job!

What versions of FF5 are acceptable?
Any legit version. GBA, iOS or Steam are recommended. GBA for it being the best version, iOS/Steam because heck, screen capturing could not be easier. And it is cheap. Comparatively.

But I have no no way to screen cap!
A picture taken with your friend's partner's mother's niece's dog's uncle's webcam reflected off of a feature phone and then uploaded to your local Internet is okay. I trust you can find a way.

Can I use the extra jobs in FFVa?
Guess what? This year...
No, you cannot.

What if I have never played FF5 before?
It is cool, you can still sign up.
Me, rk, would not recommend this be the way to play the first time. But, no one is stopping you from trying. Many say this is the first way they beat FF5. I personally find that sad, but hey, Y Burn?

I have random number generators! Why do I need you?
Because we are a loving community. Plus: Gilgabot. He is going to yell at you. And we raise money for charity. Child's Play! Last year brought in $19365.61. To date the Fiesta has brought in lots of cash.

Twitter is a crime! Let me do it some other way!
I am terribly sorry, but Twitter makes automating this much easier and open to a wide array of people. Twitter requires no personal information, you could easily make a junk account and use it entirely for the Fiesta. If you delete your account or change your name, though, things will get funky and not work as nicely. Many lovely people on Twitter began their Twitter-Life with the Fiesta. Why not you?

My twitter account is private!
Gilgabot will not be able to see your tweets until you follow him and he also follows you. So you will have to either notify me somehow or I will be checking for private accounts following Gilgabot as frequently as I can (maybe once a day). It would be easiest if you made another Fiesta-only account. You like things to be easy, right?

What if I do not get any tweets back?
Gilgabot works on a schedule and will respond to tweets when and if it is able. Should ten or fifteen minutes go by, do not resend the tweet, but let revenantkioku know. He will look into it and if something is really funky - and by funky I mean smells not so sweet - he will manually set you up. It just may take a while if that is the case, but it should not be.
Gilgabot can get overloaded. This happens. The Fiesta can get kind of crazy. Try to calm down and get your jobs when you are playing, not just because you can. Outside of the opening rush, however, stuff should be fine. Emphasis on the stuff even though it should be on the should.

If you encounter any problems, please message me (@revenantkioku ) instead of Gilgabot because that account is so swamped with messages that it is hard to dig through. You could PM me on GAF, but I might not see it as soon. Actually, don't PM me on GAF. Please.

Is The Run happening this year?
Yes! Stay tuned for details. You can vote for the jobs here: http://fourjobfiesta.com/therun.php

Are there any goals?
Yup! Donation incentives for The Run are:
$500: ᕦ(° Д°)ᕤ PIANO FLEX ᕦ(° Д°)ᕤ Players must play every piano and flex each time.

$1000: Hi, Gilgamesh! Players must do all Gilgamesh fights.

$2500: Final Savepoint Players must defeat Necrophobe.

$5000: Legendary Weapons Players must collect all four tablets and all twelve legendary weapons.

Any new rules?
Oh yes!

#FifthJob: Tweet out #Krile when you get her to join your party and your Earth job will be overwritten with an entirely different job. You lose access to that job and its skills and have to use the new one you get!

#RegPopular: Jobs are weighted to the Twitter voting that went on during the Spring.

Contest Rules

Runs

Normal Run (#reg)

Players will be assigned one class from each crystal. Until all four classes are unlocked, players are only permitted to use the classes they have currently unlocked. Bare/Suppin/Freelance can only be used until the Wind Crystal job is unlocked.

Random Run
Ih8HsCc.png
(#regrand)

Players will be assigned one class from any of the available jobs when new jobs are unlocked. As above, Bare/Suppin/Freelance can only be used until the Wind Jobs are obtained.

Team 750
QVBjKUE.png
(#reg750)

Players will be be assigned jobs that can only break rods or jobs that are similar in play style and theme.

xlBHpnt.png
ZNVnkUf.png
hrMLbD1.png
gLunrpP.png
jqPg3xz.png
EtEO2uy.png
8GmMmCi.png
2pm57Nt.png
jllcItN.png
YG6OZ5T.png

Team No 750
kwtZHVu.png
(#regno750)

Players will only be assigned jobs that cannot break rods and follow within that play style and theme.

akSyFTs.png
2dECfYw.png
Qrg665T.png
Q973A64.png
FAT2GFL.png
a71ETfU.png
Mnvbb9y.png
NBMP8fv.png
hdPkCXj.png
pWvRmrf.png

Classic Jobs
helmet.png
(#regff1)

Players will be assigned jobs that were only in the original Final Fantasy. Dupilcates (up to four, even!) can be assigned. Only Red Mage is maxed out at 3 because it is a Water Crystal Job.
Classic Jobs Runs are Natural Runs by default.
No BERSERKERRISK.
Qrg665T.png
akSyFTs.png
Qrg665T.png
EtEO2uy.png
xlBHpnt.png
ZNVnkUf.png

Chaos
chaos.png
(#regchaos)

You will be assigned jobs.

Pure Chaos
pure.gif
(#regpurechaos)

Freelancer and Mime included. No weight towards variety. Just pure randomness.

Popular (#regpopular)
Players will be assigned jobs randomly, kind of like Chaos. But jobs that were more popular during the voting session will show up more often.

Natural
txAys6K.png
(#natural)

Natural can be added to any run. To do so either tweet #natural to Gilgabot after registering or include it in your registration tweet. What this means it that you intend on playing with these extra rules in mind.

1. Bartz must use the Wind crystal job exclusively. Lenna the Water, Faris the Fire and Galuf/Krile the Earth.
2. If you are playing a mode other than Normal you simply assign the job listed in that slot on the players page for your job.
3. Characters must remain Freelancer until their job is unlocked. Team No 750 players must not break rods.
4. Characters may not use skills from other jobs. This means no giving Black Magic to Bards and the like. Only skills learned naturally from the one assigned job may be used.

Upgrade
upgrade.png
(#upgrade)

Upgrade can be added to any non Natural-run. To do so either tweet #upgrade to Gilgabot after registering or include it in your registration tweet. What this means it that you intend on playing with these extra rules in mind.

You will only use your Wind Job until you get your Water Job. Water until Fire, and then Fire until Earth. Then your Earth job will be the job you use until the end of the game. Any abilities learned from the previous jobs may be used.

Fifth Job
fifthjob.png
(#fifthjob)

This will let you unlock a fifth job by using the command #Krile once she joins your party. Your Earth job will be replaced by a new job based on your registration type. You cannot use the old job or any skills from it once you unlock the Fifth Job.

BERSERKER RISK
FAT2GFL.png
(#BERSERKERRISK)

BERSERKER RISK can be added to any run to give the player a chance of getting the Berseker job assigned to their Water, Fire or Earth Crystal slots. The only difference is that a Normal run will have their Water Job set to Berserker instead of any other slot. To do so either tweet #BERSERKERRISK to Gilgabot after registering or include it in your registration tweet. When the fiesta starts, for every $10 of donations, one player with BERSERKER RISK will get another Berserker. If there are more Berserkers to hand out than players with BERSERKER RISK players will end up with multiple Berserkers. This is the only
chaos.png
way in the Fiesta to end up with a duplicate job.
Once the fiesta has started, BERSERKER RISK is no longer an option.

Both Natural and BERSERKER RISK may be added to a run. Except Classic Jobs Runs.

Any questions? Leave them! I will try my best to answer them.

CLARIFICATIONS
Every $10 in donations before the Fiesta starts means one person with Berserker Risk gets an extra Berserker.
Normal Run players will get it as their Water Job.
Random or Team No 750 (Or Team 750, but that would be weird to register that way. You COULD. I am not stopping you. But.) they get their Berserker assigned to any non-Wind slot.
Natural works with any. You just apply the job assigned to that crystal slot to that character.

The list of all available commands responds to is available here.

If you are curious about how last year went: http://fourjobfiesta.com/infopicture/infopicture2016.png

Best of luck and have fun!

Me, rk, would not recommend this be the way to play the first time. But, no one is stopping you from trying. Many say this is the first way they beat FF5. I personally find that sad, but hey, Y Burn?
Hi! My first FFV clear was on a Fiesta. Blue Mage, Berserker, Ranger, Samurai.
I recommend it :)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm here for emotional support, already knowing I can't spare the time.

I see those Growlanswer tweets. It's okay. I'm not angry.
Really, I'm not. Enjoy your Strategy RPG.

So how does the fifth job work? Is it #fifthjob or #krile? Do you have to tweet it when you register or can you just #krile when you get her?

SkyOdin

Yay, Fiesta time!

Hopefully I can actually beat a run this year instead of just collecting all the legendary weapons and then forgetting to finish until it is too late.

RevenantKioku

So how does the fifth job work? Is it #fifthjob or #krile? Do you have to tweet it when you register or can you just #krile when you get her?

#fifthjob registers you for it. Since it's a new unlock type, it needs a new command, hence #krile which works like #water, #fire, #earth.

neoemonk

Chaos-natural-berserker risk this year for me. Also going to be my first time through on the Steam version. Can't wait!

Sounds like I'm in for #regpopular #fifthjob this year, at least at first. #regpopular seems fun once or twice but more than that and it'll be same-y. I guess it depends on how it's balanced.

ZangBa

Just reading the OP and all the different modes kind of overwhelms me. I'm in the middle of my first playthrough - right near the end. This sounds interesting and fun.

RevenantKioku

I think I'm good this year. I found it impossible to beat the game being restricted like this.

While challenges like this are definitely not for everyone, one thing to note is that the way FF5 is designed it's actually possible to beat the game with any job combination. Yeah, some take more effort than others, and I really cannot fault people for not wanting to grind heavily. Then again some people (hi) get excited by grinding.

And some people just enjoy taking on the entire game with four Berserkers.

Just reading the OP and all the different modes kind of overwhelms me. I'm in the middle of my first playthrough - right near the end. This sounds interesting and fun.

It's definitely gotten bigger and bigger. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If I don't get around to answering, there are tons of veterans who are more than happy to help. Lots of people have worked together and figured out lots of different ways to take on some of the more difficult challenges the Fiesta can hand out.

If you're new, just do #reg and enjoy. All these modes are for us crazy people who have done dozens of runs.

I did #upgrade #berserkerrisk last year. Never again!

Unlucky7

Banned
Finally biting the bullet and signed up for a regular run. Haven't played since the PSX release, but I think I should be good. Hopefully.

Mepsi

Been playing through all Final Fantasies this year and it happens that 5 is my last mainline one to tackle. I think this will finally be the year I do it.

Nottle

Get in on this! I've played FFV two years in a row thanks to the run and now I consider it maybe my favorite Final Fantasy.

agradine

Well, those donation incentives went pretty damn fast.

Starting off #regpurechaos, but very interested in #regpopular for a second run.

Link Man

Banned
Can you use other (unlocked) jobs abilities in Pure Chaos?

Yeah, it's just like a regular run, except the jobs aren't constrained by the crystals you've unlocked. And if you get a job you haven't unlocked, you just keep playing as normal until you unlock it.

You could even be stuck as freelancers up to the Earth Crystal if you're unlucky.

While challenges like this are definitely not for everyone, one thing to note is that the way FF5 is designed it's actually possible to beat the game with any job combination. Yeah, some take more effort than others, and I really cannot fault people for not wanting to grind heavily. Then again some people (hi) get excited by grinding.

And some people just enjoy taking on the entire game with four Berserkers.

I saw no way I could beat Neo-Exdeath and the tips I got from one gaffer didn't help.

Yohane

Yeah, it's just like a regular run, except the jobs aren't constrained by the crystals you've unlocked. And if you get a job you haven't unlocked, you just keep playing as normal until you unlock it.

You could even be stuck as freelancers up to the Earth Crystal if you're unlucky.

Thank you!

Timeaisis

Am I crazy to do four job fiesta for my first FFV run? It just seems like a lot of fun.

How long is the game, anyway? Well, with the restrictions and stuff.

antibolo

Banned
Did 2014 and 2015, but I didn't bother finishing my run last year because I couldn't get any of my friends to join, and lost motivation as a result.

Maybe this year...

Am I crazy to do four job fiesta for my first FFV run? It just seems like a lot of fun.

Nope, I have never finished the game outside of the fiesta.

The fiesta doesn't screw up the story in any way, and if you've ever played another SNES or PS1 era Final Fantasy game before you are already knowledgeable about the battle system.

Bluenoser

Couple of questions...

Is the version on PSX any good? It's the only one I have, and I've never played it through.

What jobs are you allowed to use until you unlock all of the crystals? Just the base ones they start in?

SkyOdin

Couple of questions...

Is the version on PSX any good? It's the only one I have, and I've never played it through.

What jobs are you allowed to use until you unlock all of the crystals? Just the base ones they start in?
The PSX version is pretty bad. It has slow load times and an absolutely terrible translation.

In FFV, all characters start as Freelancers, a basic job that can equip any weapon but has no special abilities or commands. In most runs, you keep your team as Freelancers until you unlock your first job, at which point you change them all to that job. In a Natural run, you change each character as they get their specific job.

How long is the game, anyway? Well, with the restrictions and stuff.
A fiesta run isn't a bad way to play the game the first time, since four jobs per character is what the game is more or less designed around in terms of AP gain. The fiesta is good at showing off how well designed the jobs and boss fights in the game are.

However, the only tricky part of a fiesta tun compared to a normal run is that the final boss more or less presumes that you are using the Freelancer and Mime instead of regular jobs, and those are banned in the Fiesta rules. As such, the final boss can be even tougher than normal. A fiesta run can also end up being much harder than a normal run if you get a bad set of jobs. On the flip side, some fiesta teams can make the game easier than a more conventional run.

agradine

Couple of questions...

PSX version is objectively the worst version; but it's better than no FFV at all. Basically, you use the base job until you unlock a job that you've been given from Gilgabot, then you have to use that(those) job(s). That means on a normal run (which I'd recommend for a first time), once you unlock the Wind crystal you have to change everyone to the job you've been assigned.

MilkBeard

Probably gonna pick up this game in the inevitable Steam Summer sale. Hopefully that gives enough time to finish the game. I might just play through naturally first and then participate next year.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
That happened to the entire temple dungeon in the third world for me when I was a kid. Massive green blob glitch zone. I couldn't progress at all. I've never actually met anyone who experienced anything similar, but yeah.

Didn't end up beating the game until 2006's Advance port as a result.

Zelias

Banned
Hyped for this! Did it last year for the first time and won so hoping for another win this year. Maybe I'll go after Omega and Shinryu too.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Registered! Ready for it this year. Got a new Macbook with OpenEmu, so it should be no problem to get through it this year!

RevenantKioku

What happens when you save? My first and second fiesta was with the PS1 version and I never had any problem. Pal version tho
The game would glitch out, hard. Well, graphically. A reset (maybe hard?) would fix it, but it was freaky.

RevenantKioku

This is an important development.

That is right. If we break $20k in donations this year, I will play this blasted new FF12 that SE is releasing for some reason instead of a FF5 remake.

Top Bottom