• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noquarter

Wasn't expecting them to go with such a huge shakeup and getting rid of the block format almost completely, but am glad they are doing it. Really hope it means more nice strolls through some of the planes instead of all of the world ending stories we have been getting.

Not surprised to have the core set back. Hopefully they are able to use it to good effect and tease planes for the future whole filling in some backstory on characters.

I started playing in Innistrad. I have literally no idea what something being on Dominaria would mean either in terms of mechanical identity or flavor. Just that it's a plane from the early days. They'd have to figure out a good way to present it to players like me to get us interested in it, because there are a lot of us.
Dominaria was Magic for the first decade or so. Pretty much everything that isn't Modern frames is from Dominaria. MTG stuff that is 'generic' is mostly from there, Koilos, Tolaria, Urborg, Karakas.

The best thing about it is that they did quite a bit to make it huge and have a bunch of history. They showed it having an Ice Age and then showed an pretty sweet African Mirage. A set based in Dominaria could contain pretty much anything.

Have to temper my expectations, the last sure thing they fucked up mechanically and artistically (slivers)

Ashodin

You could do him as a legend -> planeswalker flip card

ahhhhhhh fuck now I'm thinking about Urza at the sylex -> flip into new PW Urza ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh so awesome

Urza, At Wit's End 1WUR
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer
When Urza, At Wit's End would die, exile Urza, At Wit's End, then return him to the battlefield transformed, then destroy all creatures, nonbasic lands, enchantments, and artifacts.
2/2

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
zqIZFRk.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know why but it made me laugh a lot typing in the three green mana symbols

You don't think there might be a nearly 1-to-1 relationship between people who are members of online MTG communities and those would be described as "inside baseball" (ie, not reflective of the average LGS consumer) in terms of their interest in Wizards employees, business structure, production schedule, etc.?

The average player cares about when a set comes out and what cards are in it. Until those things spill over into influencing that, it's a non-issue for them.

I mean, pack up E3, very few people watch the conferences live compared to the full base of console owners so it's all a waste of time and money right?

"Average LGS customers" hear about this shit all the time from the most invested people at their LGS. If there's an official statement they usually hear something vaguely accurate; if there isn't they usually hear some random person's bullshit repeated as fact. WotC has a pretty significant incentive to have it be the first rather than the second.

(Also it's 2017; in a hobby aimed at young male customers a huge portion of the audience at least reads subreddits or something about their particular hobbies.)

ahhhhhhh fuck now I'm thinking about Urza at the sylex -> flip into new PW Urza ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh so awesome

I had a WUB legend -> WUBR planeswalker design I hacked together at one point.

h8 u

If they announce Game Designer Search 3 charlequin is going to shit a brick

a rage brick about how I just missed in GDS2 when i could have plausibly taken the job and then moved across the country for a different job such that I couldn't really participate in GDS3 anyway?

traveler

Not Wario
I've been mulling over having a semi transformational sideboard for gy games where I side in rest in peace, side out snappies for other non gy threats/ca. Ojutai could be one of those.

Angry Grimace

I mean, the rotation changes are just whatever to me, tbh.

It's more throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Ashodin

rotation changes are eh to me

but the changes to blocks are a huge deal

I feel like this will finally give them the creative freedom and room to breathe

the ability for mechanics to share between large sets is fucking genius and much-needed.

You can do something like this

LARGE SET A (Let's say, Tarkir)

Clan mechanics vs. Dragon Mechanics
Mechanic based on time travel (could be suspend, could not)

Story finishes up in Tarkir quickly with a quick look at how Tarkir is starting to go nuts, you get to see old faces, etc. Time travel is discovered and starting to be used by clans to fuck with the timeline further. It's only hinted at here.

LARGE SET B (Kaldheim)

Kaldheim deep dive new set block. Have its own identity, based on war and snow and cold or whatever.
The time travel mechanic also shows up here, albeit a little different, which is curious. Did someone leave Tarkir and bring the magic to Kaldheim?
Story reveals it to be Narset! She's experimenting on Kaldheim to try to figure out how to stop the other magic-users on Tarkir from messing with the timeline but also how to bring back the clans permanently and have everyone live in harmony somehow.

LARGE SET C (Tarkir: War Has Changed)

Tarkir is now in full out time-war. Time Travel mechanic is now the full-blown focus of the set plus other weird time mechanics. Mechanics that speed up, slow down, freeze time, etc. Clans have consolidated into super 4c wedges and the Dragons are now 5c to try to band up against them.

It would be awesome

Violet_0

Banned
when do they want to reveal their MMO this week?

I'm also curious if they are going to ban Marvel today. It's in Standard for only a couple more months, not sure if it's worth the "OMG Wizards is banning all my expensive decks!" drama

Crocodile

What's the announcement schedule supposed to be like again this week? I know Friday is Hour of Devastation spoilers (spoilers in earnest start next week right?) and that one day (which day?) is new paper products and one day is updates on MTGO (which day?). Can someone neatly fill the blanks for me?

ultron87

What's the announcement schedule supposed to be like again this week? I know Friday is Hour of Devastation spoilers (spoilers in earnest start next week right?) and that one day (which day?) is new paper products and one day is updates on MTGO (which day?). Can someone neatly fill the blanks for me?

It's all here: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcement-week-coming-2017-06-08

Today is: "On Tuesday, we'll have two items you should pay attention to—one is about our Magic digital offerings coming up and the other is the banned and restricted announcement that was originally scheduled for June 14."

ironmang

marvel gone!

Genuinely surprised. Still have no reason to touch the format before rotation except for an RPTQ in August but at least the streams should be a little more interesting without them having to search for Marvel-less matches.

Santiako

They are also walking back on having more frequent b&r announcements.

Finally, we're very aware the toll these bannings take on players and the game. We would not have made this move if we didn't believe it wasn't better for the long-term health of the game (Marvel would, after all, not rotate until late in 2018). Furthermore, when we moved to our new B&R schedule to allow us more flexibility, we oversaturated the game with these points where we may or may not ban things, leading to uncertainty in the community. But at some point—and we may have already gotten there—banning fatigue sets in.

As such, we're going to pull back on these announcements. We will not have another banned and restricted announcement until after Pro Tour Hour of Devastation. The next announcement will be on August 28.

Wotc flip flopping like crazy lol

Justin

What was the point in hyping the digital next announcement when they announced absolutely nothing other than they are ending development on duels?

Maledict

Is this the most times they've ever had to do separate banning for standard? I mean, I was around for Urzas and don't recall them having to do so many separate bannings.

Dayum
wotc said:
To that end, we considered several weird or off-the-wall options. We discussed something we called "pair banning," where two cards could not be played in the same deck but could be played separately, a tactic other TCGs have employed. We looked at making other cards legal for Standard that otherwise wouldn't be, like Pithing Needle and Duress. We looked at restricting and even functional errata. Ultimately, these created more problems than they solved for this particular issue, and while we might keep exploring newer options in the future, for now we're sticking with our tried-and-true solution, even though we, like you, would rather it not come to this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom