• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses" - Cuphead Developer

I don't mean to be an asshole and I really hope the game is a success, but I can't help but think they would have been better off sticking with their guns and making it a boss rush game. The change in scope wasn't necessary, the pattern-based bosses looked really fun and larger enemies let them show off their animation. Having to design a bunch of platforming levels that weren't initially part of the design was ambitious but if the bosses end up being the highlight of the game it will end up not being worth the effort. Expanding the gameplay with a sequel would have been a better move.

Still, I can't wait to finally play this. Always cool to see talented people bet on themselves with something so unique.

Jrs3000

I don't mean to be an asshole and I really hope the game is a success, but I can't help but think they would have been better off sticking with their guns and making it a boss rush game. The change in scope wasn't necessary, the pattern-based bosses looked really fun and larger enemies let them show off their animation. Having to design a bunch of platforming levels that weren't initially part of the design was ambitious but if the bosses end up being the highlight of the game it will end up not being worth the effort. Expanding the gameplay with a sequel would have been a better move.

Still, I can't wait to finally play this. Always cool to see talented people bet on themselves with something so unique.

Not to be a dick but they said the platforming was part of the original design but taken out due to resources needed to make it happen. Lets see what they got.

Stoze

We don't know how good the platforming levels currently are so I think it's too early to say that. Plus there's a reason why just about every run and gun game has these despite them a lot of them not being comparable with traditional platformers, because they help with pacing and train the player at the core mechanics.

Not at all, No Man's Sky is now a cautionary tale to independent devs. It's a great example of what NOT to do. Sure they might've made some money on NMS (due to all the hype and lies) but I doubt a lot of ppl would trust them to create a decent product the next time around. Their reputation is ruined on their first game.
No Man's Sky was their 4th game. I don't think most indie devs will have to worry about their reputation because most of them aren't trying to charge $60 for their game or have a scope equivalent with a near-infinite universe & seamless multiplayer.

Teeth

Wait, this game is a platformer now?

It's still mostly bosses, but there are some platforming levels now, yeah.

Also, I should say, the writer of this story took some...ummmm...editorial liberties with our answers here and there. Oh well, glad people are excited!

WoolyNinja

I really hope it pays off for them - chasing your dreams is never a bad thing.

That being said, perhaps they should've released Cuphead as a boss battle type game first, made some money then built the game they wanted to build initially. I think they would've made some decent coin initially as the XboxOne was still fairly young and people were hungry for some good indie games.

Anyway, hindsight and all that, best of luck on the upcoming release!

statham

Also, I should say, the writer of this story took some...ummmm...editorial liberties with our answers here and there. Oh well, glad people are excited!
Glad to see you on GAF.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

So is this game 100% lifetime PC/Microsoft exclusive ?
I'm seeing mixed information.

This probably wont get answered.

I really hope this game is a success.

Teeth

So is this game 100% lifetime PC/Microsoft exclusive ?
I'm seeing mixed information.

This probably wont get answered.

Yes, this Cuphead game is exclusive to Xbox and PC (with Steam and Win10 versions at launch and a GoG release likely shortly after). There will likely be a Mac version down the road and possibly a Linux version beyond that (unless we lose our houses or whatever).

We own the Cuphead IP.

Genuinely excited to finally get my hands on it, as a 37 year old guy I don't think a game has ever evoked childhood memories / feelings as Cuphead has.

I smile every time I see it :)

Keinning

Yes, this Cuphead game is exclusive to Xbox and PC (with Steam and Win10 versions at launch and a GoG release likely shortly after). There will likely be a Mac version down the road

That's honestly pretty cool. Might be the only game on my work PC

I'm excited for Cuphead to finally release! I'll definitely be grabbing it on XB1 when that launch date rolls around.

I wish they would release a physical version with some animation cells or something!

Would love this too.

If the gameplay holds up, I am there. The actual gameplay is the only thing I am genuinely dceptic about. If it turns out they have the chops, I hope MDHR will have resources to do do what they want for the next decade and more.

Cuphead looks truly special.

RRockman

Banned
Yes, this Cuphead game is exclusive to Xbox and PC (with Steam and Win10 versions at launch and a GoG release likely shortly after). There will likely be a Mac version down the road and possibly a Linux version beyond that (unless we lose our houses or whatever).

We own the Cuphead IP.

My, my, my, I see someone has PLANS! ;)

Only teasing. :p I do enjoy your work and I might just buy it even though I don't have good pc. I wish you nothing but the best of luck and lots of success.

It's not gonna do a lot of numbers. I hope it does, but the amount of people who waant a boss rush indie game in 2017 ain't that high
On the contrary, there not being any high profile run-n-gun games in 2017 would allow them to essentially monopolize that genre. For something comparable, Undertale was by and large an absolute success and it's only available on PC/Mac/Linux(?). I don't think there were many people asking for a throwback 2D game with bullet hell battle properties.

Cuphead has three things going for it:
1) its unique aesthetic, which will allow it to stand out.
2) its unique genre
3) its availability on PC, which will undoubtely allow it a larger word of mouth audience

There's no way that Cuphead won't be a success unless the game itself is a disaster

LionPride

Banned
On the contrary, there not being any high profile run-n-gun games in 2017 would allow them to essentially monopolize that genre. For something comparable, Undertale was by and large an absolute success and it's only available on PC/Mac/Linux(?). I don't think there were many people asking for a throwback 2D game with bullet hell battle properties.

2) its unique genre
3) its availability on PC, which will undoubtely allow it a larger word of mouth audience

There's no way that Cuphead won't be a success unless the game itself is a disaster
True, it being on PC will help long term

If it does better numbers wise than Bayo 2, ay that's honestly a success to me. Like I don't personally see it doing that well despite the fact i want it to.

I hope to be proven very wrong

mas8705

2) its unique genre

Honestly, I'm looking at Cuphead as a "1930s Contra." If you tell that to anyone who grew up on Contra, they will probably be all over this game; especially considering that the art style is definitely something to be desired. Definitely, it is the art style that will definitely grab people's attention and get people to get it on that alone. The only catch here is that the gameplay needs to be just as good as the art style, and that definitely does looks like that will be the case (only problem is that those who have played the demo builds aren't that keen on these kinds of games, thus hopefully it doesn't reflect against the game for being "Too Hard!")

Xyzzy J

Neo Member
Hello Games made out like bandits.

They released a critically panned title that took millions of dollars from users for a game that was well and truly below expectations. They are infamous in the industry. Nobody will touch them. Their company value would be next to zero. Nothing went right for them. How exactly did they make out like bandits???

EDIT: Sorry for the shitty tone. Apparently, I'm in a grumpy mood today.

I knew Jared back in high school. We hung out a bit the first couple years after I graduated and at that point he was living in his car. All I'm saying is he never struck me as a guy for whom material possessions meant anywhere near as much as his passions. Glad to see that hasn't changed after all these years.

Q8D3vil

This thread of full of salty gamers, grow up.
I'll buy it when they release it on steam if the game is hard and the impressions are decent.

norm9

Been on board Cup head train for a while. I wish it nothing but success and I'll certainly be buying a copy.

Gestault

Hmm...interesting. If it's something worth clarifying, I'd like to think we can take it without percieving it as hostile to the writer/editor.

We own the Cuphead IP.

Thank you for the crystal clear explanation. I'm happy to hear you guys are keeping your IP!

Typical yellow journalism. Nevermind them.

Top Bottom