• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get the right cables for your SNES? PAL SNES' require different cables than NTSC (US and Japan). It doesn't matter what tv you're plugging it into but it needs to match the region of the console, the output and what goes into the cables is slightly different.

Yes cables are fine. Google has also said it looks like it needs a resistors added.

Have the USA scart for both my USA super nintendo and my USA snes jr.

bodine1231

So whats the best way to play GBA games on CRT or PVM in terms of PQ? I watched the My Life in Gaming episode but it was sort of all over the place with what to get.

Brhoom

Banned
So whats the best way to play GBA games on CRT or PVM in terms of PQ? I watched the My Life in Gaming episode but it was sort of all over the place with what to get.

1- GameCube fitted with an offical component cable.

2- Pal GameCube with an offical RGB cable.

3- Pal GameCube with an HD Retrovision cable.

All with GBI, not the offical Gameboy software from Nintendo.

All the options look the same to me, I'd go with option 3. But, if you want to use it for a Framemeister as well, go with option 2 since the GBI software works best with the Framemeister through RGB.

Rirse

Neo Member

I'm having great luck with my Gamecube with Gameboy Player with S-Video (would prefer Component through). I got the Gamecube locally for 40 (has the digital out so it a great deal) and Gameboy Player without disc for 16. With a Pro Action Replay and a SD Memory card (you can get this combo for 30 but I didn't see this until after I got mine). With that you can extract Swiss and Gameboy Interface to the SD card and use them to play them on your tv in really great quality.

I am using the default GBI software, but Low Latency looks great too, just can't zoom it in, which i wouldn't bother doing except it looks weird without the borders. I would love to get the PAL Gamecube that Brhoom mentioned to use with my HD Retrovision cables, but the seller I found on Amazon.uk flaked out and I am not finding any good options on ebay right now.

GB Player is so good once you get it set up right but there are a lot of little things to put together.

Like ideally you even pair all that shit with a GBA hooked up with a GBA-GC link cable so the controls feel right. Or go one step further and customize Raphnet's AVR assembler to DIY a SNES controller adapter that doesn't drive you nuts.

bodine1231

All I have are the Retrovision cables. I still want an RGB NES and an MVS before I buy a PAL Gamecube. GBA games run good enough on a modded Wii anyways.

Laser Wolf

Neo Member
Question for OSSC-GAF

I just got a new TV, the TCL P607 mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm very happy with it. In addition to the super low input lag, line 3x, 4x, and even 5x work perfectly with my SNES. The only issue I'm running into is how to handle the sound. I have the original OSSC without audio add-on. With my previous TV, I could connect the OSSC's video output to an HDMI input and audio output to an AV input. Even while playing on the HDMI input, my TV would automatically play the sound run through the AV input.

When I try the same on this TV, there's no sound, and I can't find an option to switch only sound to the AV input. I don't think this is too big of a problem, but I'm not sure the best way to fix it. I'm not an audiophile at all, so the TV's apparently-shitty sound is fine to me. What's the cheapest way to get the sound from the OSSC to the TV? Would it be something like this? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8124

Brhoom

Banned
All I have are the Retrovision cables. I still want an RGB NES and an MVS before I buy a PAL Gamecube. GBA games run good enough on a modded Wii anyways.

Someone is selling his RGB modded top loader NES on the previous page, do it if you have the money!

GBA games run good enough on a modded Wii anyways.

GBA emulation being so bad, especially on the audio side, is more than anything what led me down this real-hardware rabbit hole.

I understand that mGBA is significantly better than older stuff but nothing that I've encounterd seems to get the audio right (my test is always Minish Cap's intro).

bodine1231

GBA emulation being so bad, especially on the audio side, is more than anything what led me down this real-hardware rabbit hole.

I understand that mGBA is significantly better than older stuff but nothing that I've encounterd seems to get the audio right (my test is always Minish Cap's intro).

Yea but the only games I really want to play are Metroid Fuzion and Minish Cap and those don't need to be super accurate. I also have an SP so I'm not super thirsty.

Someone is selling his RGB modded top loader NES on the previous page, do it if you have the money!

I pm'd him.

Endrift is making steady progress on mGBA, so I'm hopeful we'll have good GBA emulation in the not-too-distant future.

IrishNinja

so i have my GC w/component cables going into a D terminal adapter feeding my XRGB, right? but whenever the screen's white, you can see flicker to it. i'm gonna test this on my CRT soon (without the framemeister, natch) but anyone else ever have this issue?

...anybody? gonna try tonight to verify that this trinotron doesn't have that issue when plugged straight in

shit. okay, i was using a preset DC profile but time to adjust that value, or try other profiles. thanks man
it shouldnt change the scaling settings or really any sort of visual aspect at all. i'm pretty sure all that setting does is basically set how strict the mini is about the incoming sync signal.

Wow, I'd love to have one of those TVs one day. I really don't have the space for a truly large sized CRT right now, though. I always feel like 27 inch is ideal for a CRT.

Wow, I'd love to have one of those TVs one day. I really don't have the space for a truly large sized CRT right now, though. I always feel like 27 inch is ideal for a CRT.

It all depends on your setup and what you're playing. For single player and sitting kind of close, 27" would be better. Sitting far back and playing 4-player Goldeneye though...

Peltz

Shenmue's sound mix is rough on the ears. Yeesh.

It's kind of crazy that such a poor sounding game came from SEGA of all developers.

bodine1231

A Link to the Past on my 32" Sony 310 via a regular SNES connected via S-video, photo taken with iPhone:

Man the colors and clarity would rival a PVM with a moded mini using component.

It's crazy how much harder it is to find a 310 or XBR Sony vs a PVM or BVM yet they are 10x cheaper when you do.

Shenmue's sound mix is rough on the ears. Yeesh.

It's kind of crazy that such a poor sounding game came from SEGA of all developers.

Poor sounding in what regard?

I think the game sounds incredible. The ambient sound for each of the areas you visit compounded with the minimal soundtrack works extremely well. Stores and bars have their own catchy themes. The orchestral works sound fantastic. Battle sounds sound VF-like as they should. The roughest part is possibly the voices, but I think it's easily excusable considering every character is uniquely voiced in a game from 1999.

Man the colors and clarity would rival a PVM with a moded mini using component.

It's crazy how much harder it is to find a 310 or XBR Sony vs a PVM or BVM yet they are 10x cheaper when you do.

At 32" too it's really impressive. The speakers are also supposedly good for a TV, but I am not all that impressed. I had an early LCD-projection TV that had great sound and this doesn't sound as good as that.

I found mine, and saw some others popping up from time to time, on Craigslist in NJ. I searched from the Philadelphia and South Jersey area up to Northern NJ and NYC, but found someone getting rid of one around Trenton/Princeton.

I don't remember the VO quality being any better in the European DC version, which had Japanese audio. Been a while since I've played it, though.

I'm definitely mistaken. I imported the Japanese version back when it released and I remember upon first hearing the US English voices, thinking they sounded way worse, but it sounds like the quality is the same.

Anyways, it being inexcusable is a bit harsh, considering the scale of the game. IMHO, at least.

It all depends on your setup and what you're playing. For single player and sitting kind of close, 27" would be better. Sitting far back and playing 4-player Goldeneye though...

I live a lonely existence. j/k ... but I rarely retro game with other people for some reason lately.

bodine1231

I live a lonely existence. j/k ... but I rarely retro game with other people for some reason lately.

Lol me too. The only reason I own an OSSC is on the off chance someone comes over and wants to play something and e can play on the big screen instead of huddled around a 20" crt.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
How do I open up SCART cables from retrogamingcables, I want to see if the Genesis 2 cable I got from them back in March doesn't have that "cync boost" thing?

Their listing currently has it as "Sega Mega Drive 2 / Genesis 2 & 3 CDX 32X dbGrafx Booster TTP RGB AV SCART Cable" but there was no mention of the dbGrafx Booster back when I ordered it in March
I know your question has been answered but RetroRGB put up a video today on how to test and fix scart cables. Just thought some others might be interested also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQohz5kaAEQ

Galdelico

I know your question has been answered but RetroRGB put up a video today on how to test and fix scart cables. Just thought some others might be interested also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQohz5kaAEQ
Also, the second cable he works on - the one for the Genesis model 2 - seems exactly from Retrogamingcables, judging by the couple of seconds he flips it and reveals the label.

On a different note, all this talk (and all these sexy pictures) about PVMs, Trinitrons etc, is making me feel nostalgic for CRTs. But then I realize I will keep finding monitors and TVs with subtle yet unfixable geometry issues which will annoy the heck out of me, and I just forget about it. Y_Y

On a different note, all this talk (and all these sexy pictures) about PVMs, Trinitrons etc, is making me feel nostalgic for CRTs. But then I realize I will keep finding monitors and TVs with subtle yet unfixable geometry issues which will annoy the heck out of me, and I just forget about it. Y_Y

Yeah it's a real grass is greener thing, the other gear seems attractive because it's the other gear.

Peltz

I don't remember the VO quality being any better in the European DC version, which had Japanese audio. Been a while since I've played it, though.

European version of Shenmue 1 has English audio. European version of Shenmue II has Japanese audio (if I'm not mistaken).

Xbox version of Shenmue II has English Audio (again, if I'm not mistaken).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
European version of Shenmue 1 has English audio. European version of Shenmue II has Japanese audio (if I'm not mistaken).

Xbox version of Shenmue II has English Audio (again, if I'm not mistaken).

You're correct -- I didn't specify which Shenmue, but yeah, I was referring to II.

TeaJay

See, this is kind of odd, since - real talk - I have OCD in real life, nothing major, but my leaving-home- and going-to-bed- routines can be lengthy - but the screen geometry doesn't really bother me all that much. Sure, a border can be wavy, and not perfectly straight. Some games have different screen spaces, where as within a console some game might have a black border while another pushes into overscan territory. My PVM has a pretty good geometry, although sides curve a bit.

I'm dedicated to playing games on my PVM as long as it holds out, since let's be honest, even if it's not the best model (20M4E/U) the retro games on it look fucking awesome.

But after that I will probably start looking into getting an OSSC, or who knows, if my PVM keeps it together, what new solutions they have come up with. I don't have space to keep spare PVM's or CRT's stored up and even if I did, the supply is starting to get very thin out here in the wilderness, not like the US where you can still make great hauls.

I do however have sometimes thought that when I have friends over it would be nice to play on the big screen TV, but then again, most of my friends seem to have no issue with huddling in front of a 20' PVM. Maybe it's a throwback to our childhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom