• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Fularu

Banned
nahhh the good ones looked too pricey..and I've SCARTS for SMS, Genesis, Saturn, DC, NES, SNES, N64, PSX, PS2, Duo-R and I forget what else so god knows it'd need some slots

My 5 inputs Bandrige scart switch works perfectly. It's hooked to my OSSC and the images are great.

It's also prety cheap (was 15 euros before shipping)

TeaJay

nahhh the good ones looked too pricey..and I've SCARTS for SMS, Genesis, Saturn, DC, NES, SNES, N64, PSX, PS2, Duo-R and I forget what else so god knows it'd need some slots

I've said this before but Joytech switchers are premium quality but not super expensive. Many people also use those Bandridge boxes and there's way more supply than Joytechs.

I've said this before but Joytech switchers are premium quality but not super expensive. Many people also use those Bandridge boxes and there's way more supply than Joytechs.

I had a search set up for these on eBay for months but not a single one ever turned up. Only a couple of loose remotes here and there. I deleted the search.

Fularu

Banned

Just go manual Bandrige switch.

As I said it's super cheap and very reliable (the audio out is garbage though, be warned, it's fine through the scart TV out though, which is where I picked it up with a splitter).

You can have a 13 units Daisy chained for about 50 euros. Hard to beat that price.

Arzehn

Does anyone know if krikzz.com does the 20% off sale every BF (or any other time?), or was the last one kind of a one off thing?

D.Lo

I'm off to Japan for a couple of weeks. Let's see what state the retro market is in compared to a few years ago...

IrishNinja

jackal is such an underrated game

This one could be your friend.
Sure, you'd still need 3/4 of them, to connect ALL your systems at once, but even with just a couple, I bet your life would be so much easier.
I have two of them, and I can quote everything good VGP wrote in their review.

My 5 inputs Bandrige scart switch works perfectly. It's hooked to my OSSC and the images are great.

It's also prety cheap (was 15 euros before shipping)

yeah that 5 input one seems more likely, shame it's hard to find. i know it makes more sense but i'm absolutely not daisy chaining stuff i (sometimes) paid out the ass to RGB mod, you know?

I'm one of the authors of the Contra/Konami book ;)

this is really cool, i did the $10 HG101 patreon this month to get their full collection of books in PDF, looking forward to reading that one

Get on that Wonder Boy.

strongly agreed! one of the best remakes ive played in forever, this game needs more love. can't wait for the LRG one.

When you get an eBay alert and realize how much of a sickness you have.

what was it for though

same

BTails

Errbody in the club getting Switch...

aESU5mD.jpg

Too bad my Switch doesn't arrive until next Tuesday at the latest!

what was it for though

Valis II for the X68000.

It's not even a great game but I love the series and I'm a sucker for big X68000 games. I've been looking for it for a few years on ebay, yahoo auctions and in Japan but it almost never comes up for a decent price. The price I paid wasn't decent but it was a lot closer to decent than I've seen it before.

By the way, I joined the insta club but I don't get it. I have to use my phone and it resizes things to a small resolution. I guess I'm too old school.

dubc35

lol, everyone is buying a Switch in retro-gaf...I bought a Wii a couple days ago; waiting for it to get here. I picked up Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, and Zelda TP yesterday. I'm going to wait on Switch until there are more games, being a late adopter is my gaming strategy now.

lol, everyone is buying a Switch in retro-gaf...I bought a Wii a couple days ago; waiting for it to get here. I picked up Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, and Zelda TP yesterday. I'm going to wait on Switch until there are more games, being a late adopter is my gaming strategy now.

Wii is awesome. Don't sleep on Sin & Punishment 2!

Tain

Now would be a real good time for Wii games. I'm not the biggest fan of its library from what I've played, but there are still some solid-looking games that I haven't spent time with. I still need to try Galaxy 2 after not feeling the original.

Peltz

Now would be a real good time for Wii games. I'm not the biggest fan of its library from what I've played, but there are still some solid-looking games that I haven't spent time with. I still need to try Galaxy 2 after not feeling the original.
Wii has one of the best libraries of any system.

dubc35

Wii is awesome. Don't sleep on Sin & Punishment 2!
Looks good, I'll check it out, thanks! I hadn't heard of it before.

Wii has one of the best libraries of any system.
My main focus will be on first party Nintendo games starting out. I haven't played a single first party console Nintendo game since SNES. So yeah, I have a lot to catch up on!

Tain

idk, for my tastes I haven't run into a lot of exclusives/best-versions on Wii. A lot of the critically acclaimed games are duds for me. Super Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade, the two Zelda games, No More Heroes, Metroid Prime 3, the Kirby games, and MadWorld, for example.

My favorite game on the platform is probably Sin and Punishment. The Rhythm Tengoku game is pretty cool, too, as are New Super Mario Bros, Kororinpa, and the Konami M2 Rebirth games. And there are a chunk of games that I haven't tried yet and would like to: the Fire Emblem game, Zangeki no Reginleiv, Punch-Out, Super Mario Galaxy 2 (I'm told it's more up my alley than the original), and DKCR are the most immediate.

I'm open to hearing what I may have overlooked though. I'm generally into Japanese action games but am open to pretty much anything but traditional JRPGs.

dubc35 said:
My main focus will be on first party Nintendo games starting out. I haven't played a single first party console Nintendo game since SNES. So yeah, I have a lot to catch up on!

I could see you getting a ton of use out of VC, then. Flex that 240p if you can.

BTails

There's some great titles that are still Wii exclusive that are well worth having the system for: the Trauma Centre series, for example (Though some of them are on DS). Zac & Wiki is another phenomenal game that thankfully people have finally woken up to: it reminds me a lot of the "Gobliiins" series of games on PC, if anyone remembers those.

Super Paper Mario is awesome too. It doesn't get as much love as most other Nintendo first party Wii games, but my wife and I had a BLAST playing it when it released.

I recall there being a small slew of quality exclusive Wii games, but I recall the library being chock full of shovelware, party games, and frequently the worst version of any multi-console ports.

I think it's very obvious at this stage of their existence, Nintendo was almost entirely focused on the DS, which has a way better library in my opinion.

I sold my Switch and don't have any intention of getting another anytime soon, Switch tax/port machine and all. Arms is the only big exclusive right now, right?

I'm just not a massive fan of Nintendo's efforts lately. Getting a lot of mileage out of my SNES, though!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It makes me upset whenever I see a game that came with a plastic box not have the box any more. I can understand cardboard boxes from Nintendo consoles getting damaged over time but things like SMS, Genesis, DS, etc really bothers me. Don't even get me started on horrible condition carts.

Timu

I am surprised that Samurai Shodown V Special is coming to PS4, that's one game that should had been on that Samurai Shodown collection!

Peltz

I recall there being a small slew of quality exclusive Wii games, but I recall the library being chock full of shovelware, party games, and frequently the worst version of any multi-console ports.

I think it's very obvious at this stage of their existence, Nintendo was almost entirely focused on the DS, which has a way better library in my opinion.

I sold my Switch and don't have any intention of getting another anytime soon, Switch tax/port machine and all. Arms is the only big exclusive right now, right?

I'm just not a massive fan of Nintendo's efforts lately. Getting a lot of mileage out of my SNES, though!
Xenoblade, Mario Galaxies, Skyward Sword (which IS a good game for the record), Punchout, DKCR, Wario Ware smooth moves, Sin and Punishment 2, NSMBW, and Wii Sports Resort were all awesome.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Xenoblade, Mario Galaxies, Skyward Sword (which IS a good game for the record), Punchout, DKCR, Wario Ware smooth moves, Sin and Punishment 2, NSMBW, and Wii Sports Resort were all awesome.

Wii had some pretty damn good stuff. Even third parties were churning out some excellent games, despite the not so great sales figures they saw on the system.

I remember really enjoying MadWorld, SSB Brawl, No More Heroes and Muramasa. SMG was pretty good, too. Got a lot of mileage out of Wii Sports, for what it was, as well.

I certainly played new super Mario Bros, but that game isn't memorable at all for me. Also, I gave Xenoblade a shot, but much like any Xeno title that isn't Xenogears, it didnt do it for me.

Fularu

Banned
It makes me upset whenever I see a game that came with a plastic box not have the box any more. I can understand cardboard boxes from Nintendo consoles getting damaged over time but things like SMS, Genesis, DS, etc really bothers me. Don't even get me started on horrible condition carts.

No one believed they would become valuable and Genesis/SMS boxes took a lot of space.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I love the Wii, got me back into modern gaming because of its retro sensibilities - if that makes sense.

You didn't keep the cases?

US boxes were so bad, I love the second generation Pal boxes the most (very close to the original megadrive/master system boxes)

All my games (but SF3) ended up getting stolen anyway but nope I'm pretty sure I got rid of the cases.

Yes Boss!

I am just as much a fan of so-called "messy" game rooms. Those that are not meticulously staged but just always working and changing as the owner's whims. Typically, my gaming space looks like below. Please share your practical retro game spaces.

F9qbCN4.jpg

I am just as much a fan of so-called "messy" game rooms. Those that are not meticulously staged but just always working and changing as the owner's whims. Typically, my gaming space looks like below. Please share your practical retro game spaces.

F9qbCN4.jpg

Yes Boss! hoarding those wii u gamepads =P

Peltz

F9qbCN4.jpg
videogame_pile.jpg

not mine

Top Bottom