• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

scarlet

Pretty sure, cuz they nees to do that frozen festival.

Currently have 1300 gold LOL. Could have 7000, but I bought packs

So now planning to get 2000, and then PO.

With 6400 dust I think it's enough.

Having convenient brawls is fun for when you have a golden hero as well. I've got three golden heroes (paladin soon as well) but I hate doing quests in ranked or play mode with them.

i don't understand, did you just play those classes to tick a virtual box? aren't they golden heroes bc you enjoyed playing the classes the most so got the most wins with them? i only have 1 golden so far since i'm really spread out on wins but i still play tf out of it, 2 x as many games as the next class

also when i play ranked with my golden class i most def get ppl to concede earlier than usual, and they def seem to overthink turns more than with a normal class, it's lulzy how much it intimidates some ppl

Hycran

Banned
i don't understand, did you just play those classes to tick a virtual box? aren't they golden heroes bc you enjoyed playing the classes the most so got the most wins with them? i only have 1 golden so far since i'm really spread out on wins but i still play tf out of it, 2 x as many games as the next class

also when i play ranked with my golden class i most def get ppl to concede earlier than usual, and they def seem to overthink turns more than with a normal class, it's lulzy how much it intimidates some ppl

My golden classes are druid, hunter and warrior. Druid might be my favorite class, but the reason why I have them so high is usually just because they were good in the ladder for a while and I used them to rank up. Thats why my paladin is so high as well due to mysterious challenger ranking back in the day, along with murloc ranking now. Followed by mage which is easily the strongest class in the game nowadays.

I'm just hoping to get a few more golden heroes, but i'll never get them all as my rogue is at like 100 wins lol.

Blizzard

Banned
So remember how I was constantly encountering priests at rank 15, and I asked for help, and someone suggested shaman?

Since creating that shaman deck, I'm now at rank 15. Want to guess how many priest players I've seen?

1 in 20 consecutive games.

So remember how I was constantly encountering priests at rank 15, and I asked for help, and someone suggested shaman?

Since creating that shaman deck, I'm now at rank 15. Want to guess how many priest players I've seen?

15 is kind of a wild card rank cos of the floor, it's almost impossible to tech or target anything at the floors IMO unless you're gatekeeping

Q8D3vil

Token Shaman is incredibly strong right now, there are no reasons you shouldn't reach 10 unless your deck is lacking essential cards or due to misplays.
The unwritten rule in hs is when you tech or try to counter a certain decks you will never face them. In the rare chance you actually play against those decks you will reach legend.

I'll never know how anyone can take this game seriously in terms of being competitive.

This Mage just played two Arcane Giants followed by Molten Reflection from Babbling Book and Molten Reflection from Primordial Glyph.

Literally zero skill involved in any of that and yet I eat a loss for it. Maybe Blizzard will one day get even the slightest clue of how to balance Mage.

Edit: Mage just needs nerfs in general. They have probably half a dozen cards that are way too high on the power scale and it's showing right now.

Nerf this nerf that.. and yet if you play paladin, priest or druid most likely the mage gonna lose.
because the design of mage right now is pretty volatile and there being OP healing cards as well as having lost the otk potential.

Previously at least paladin was always beatable because you had evolved kobold to kill from 30.

You're right.

Actually let's just keep printing cards for every class on the same power level as Primordial Glyph because, ya know, at least a class or two will be able to counter them.

Fewr

After today's 80g quest, I will have reached exactly 9k gold. I'm not sure how much of that I'll spend on the expansion because I'd like to start doing arena at least once per week after it is released.

Also, in this upcoming event we get 1 free arena run, and we must do at least 3 per week to get the free pack. That means spending 300g per week, and it's probably part of the reason for doing 2x gold for two weeks.

Eddie Bax

Also, in this upcoming event we get 1 free arena run, and we must do at least 3 per week to get the free pack. That means spending 300g per week, and it's probably part of the reason for doing 2x gold for two weeks.

Not three arena runs, three arena games. Ie. do one arena run, get free pack (on top of the free arena pack).

Fewr

Ah cool. So it's a free pack for merely trying an arena run. That's much easier to achieve for those of us with little time. Nice!

Blizzard

Banned
After today's 80g quest, I will have reached exactly 9k gold. I'm not sure how much of that I'll spend on the expansion because I'd like to start doing arena at least once per week after it is released.

What do you mean 3 per week to get a free pack? I thought they were going to give 1 free arena run per week, and every arena run gives a free pack anyway? *edit* Already answered above.

Is there any reason to not play ladder? I've got over 3500 total wins but I've never been higher than rank 12 as I play mostly in casual. I usually tell myself that unless I'm 100% concentrating I'd get frustrated if I got distracted and lost a win streak or something like that... but I'm starting to wonder if I'm just stupid and making a big deal out of nothing.

Been playing a Vilespine-less, Sherazin-less ('cos I'm dust poor) Miracle rogue. I'm shit at it, 3-9, but I'm kinda having fun.

wiibomb

Is there any reason to not play ladder? I've got over 3500 total wins but I've never been higher than rank 12 as I play mostly in casual. I usually tell myself that unless I'm 100% concentrating I'd get frustrated if I got distracted and lost a win streak or something like that... but I'm starting to wonder if I'm just stupid and making a big deal out of nothing.

Been playing a Vilespine-less, Sherazin-less ('cos I'm dust poor) Miracle rogue. I'm shit at it, 3-9, but I'm kinda having fun.

I usually face a much more variety on casual than ladder, also, I hate the ladder anxiety this game gives me, so I rarely touch the ranked mode and play constantly the casual mode. I'm not that pressured to get any golden hero.

Hybris

I've been known to have some ladder anxiety in other games but for some reason (I'm guessing the short length of time between resets) I don't really feel that in hearthstone.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Losing win streaks isn't a big deal. Going on a losing streak is frustrating. If you want my advice, once you lose 2 or 3 games in a row, just close Hearthstone for a bit to reboot your mental state.

Also realize that dropping a rank isn't actually worse than just dropping a single star, it just feels that way.

I usually face a much more variety on casual than ladder, also, I hate the ladder anxiety this game gives me, so I rarely touch the ranked mode and play constantly the casual mode. I'm not that pressured to get any golden hero.

I've 0 wins as a Priest. That golden Anduin will have to stay a dream for a while.

Losing win streaks isn't a big deal. Going on a losing streak is frustrating. If you want my advice, once you lose 2 or 3 games in a row, just close Hearthstone for a bit to reboot your mental state.

Also realize that dropping a rank isn't actually worse than just dropping a single star, it just feels that way.

Yeah, I might just give it a go and see what happens. If I lose a few in a row I'll just chill on something else for a bit.

Blizzard

Banned
Any suggestions for this deck?
shaman_deck5ja6p.png

I can add another Doppelganger but I'm really not sure what to remove. I love having 2 Hex and 2 Devolve for the flexibility, and would prefer to keep them unless I'm absolutely required to remove them to be competitive.

These are the class breakdowns I've faced, if it makes any difference. Bear in mind that at rank 15, it's pretty much random and impossible to tech against as someone pointed out.
shamankabi4.png

wiibomb

I can add another Doppelganger but I'm really not sure what to remove. I love having 2 Hex and 2 Devolve for the flexibility, and would prefer to keep them unless I'm absolutely required to remove them to be competitive.

These are the class breakdowns I've faced, if it makes any difference. Bear in mind that at rank 15, it's pretty much random and impossible to tech against as someone pointed out.
shamankabi4.png

may be 1 less thing from below to make space for doppel? in an evolve deck, that combination can be a killer on a turn 6

Hybris

shaman_deck5ja6p.png

shamankabi4.png

Personally I think hex is not worth running in this deck. 2nd mana tide and 2nd doppel are very important. Flametongue on multiple small minions or bloodlust to clear big taunts does effectively the same thing as hex and devolve. Devolve has the upside of getting taunts out of the way which is all you really need from your removal. Even if they have a big scary minion, the threat of bloodlust or flametongue forces them to trade into your tiny minions anyway. You want to be making proactive plays every turn and forcing your opponent to react and hex doesn't really fit that game plan. If you want to run 1, I guess that's OK. Make sure to add the 2nd doppel in it's place if you do. Consistency in that combo is important.

Blizzard

Banned
Personally I think hex is not worth running in this deck. 2nd mana tide and 2nd doppel are very important. Flametongue on multiple small minions or bloodlust to clear big taunts does effectively the same thing as hex and devolve. Devolve has the upside of getting taunts out of the way which is all you really need from your removal. Even if they have a big scary minion, the threat of bloodlust or flametongue forces them to trade into your tiny minions anyway. You want to be making proactive plays every turn and forcing your opponent to react and hex doesn't really fit that game plan. If you want to run 1, I guess that's OK. Make sure to add the 2nd doppel in it's place if you do. Consistency in that combo is important.
The big thing is that hex and devolve get rid of death rattle and massive 14/14 minions, which is something I encountered a ton of before switching to Shaman. See also duplicates of Tirion, Wickerflame, etc.

If anyone has played Shaman to 5 this month I'd love to see your list.

Blizzard

Banned
The very next game after I removed 1 Hex, literally the VERY NEXT GAME, I went against a silence Priest who started with 1/5 cleric and 4/8 silenced razorleaf.

TankUP

The very next game after I removed 1 Hex, literally the VERY NEXT GAME, I went against a silence Priest who started with 1/5 cleric and 4/8 silenced razorleaf.

Don't be results oriented. You'll lose some games that you would have won with Hex--but more consistently being able to do the evolve combo will win you more games over a longer period of time.

You also don't mention if you had in your hand the card that you took Hex out for. Just because you have hex in your deck doesn't always mean you'll have it when you need it.

Blizzard

Banned
that's only relevant if you drew the card you replaced hex with.
I did, in the first 2-4 turns no less.

I just mean that overall, having an extra hex is nice against that deck because it's filled with high-HP or boosted minions that are healed if you try to whittle them down.

They had 2x purify, 2x ancient watcher, and 1x razorleaf in their top 11 cards.

Don't be results oriented. You'll lose some games that you would have won with Hex--but more consistently being able to do the evolve combo will win you more games over a longer period of time.
I know -- the theory is that over many many games I'll become a better player and have better results overall. This is intended to be true in all ranked ladders of all games, and Hearthstone is my current choice because I have a chance of doing the "many many games" part in a more reasonable amount of time than something like League of Legends.

I was just frustrated by that particular instance of luck. My apologies for venting.

TankUP

I just mean that overall, having an extra hex is nice against that deck because it's filled with high-HP or boosted minions that are healed if you try to whittle them down.

I know -- the theory is that over many many games I'll become a better player and have better results overall. This is intended to be true in all ranked ladders of all games, and Hearthstone is my current choice because I have a chance of doing the "many many games" part in a more reasonable amount of time than something like League of Legends.

I was just frustrated by that particular instance of luck. My apologies for venting.

I totally understand. It depends on what your goals are. Do you want to beat every silence priest? You can build your deck a certain way to do that, however vSS has Silence Priest at 1.15% of the meta.

The deck I'm running is bad against silence Priest, and I could start running cards to counter them, but even losing that match up I'm at 60% overall. Just remember you can't win every game!

Hybris

Sometimes in hearthstone they just have it and you accept your loss. Hearthstone will drive you insane if you focus on individual games too much when making deck modifications. These things should be done over time.

well if it was a doppel gangster only had a 50/50 cahnce of it being hex

I remember a game where a cleric was like 14/14 on turn 2 (radiant, coin, PW shield, PW shield, divine spirit, inner fire). All you can do is spam "wow" and then concede after roping.

Blizzard

Banned
Shaman vs. Shaman games are fun in an RNG sense.

It's a balanced back-and-forth Russian roulette until one player inevitably gets the complete horseshit swing they need to win. :p

Dart

Recently started playing again in anticipation of the next expansion. Currently playing this Quest Highlander/shadow form monstrosity, it's def not a legendary rank deck but it does pretty well but more importantly it is a hell of a lot of fun to play. @ rank 13 rn, changing card as I go.... I need Cairne :(

Kazakus remains to be a life saver.

Schnauzer

(Wild) - Why is Reno Priest no longer viable?

I am just curious on this one. Reno Dragon Priest and Reno Death Rattle priest were a lot of fun. Not one top player in the tournament is using it. It's how I went legendary before. What happened to make it fall out of favor?

It seems like Double Shadow Reno priest should be viable.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

I am just curious on this one. Reno Dragon Priest and Reno Death Rattle priest were a lot of fun. Not one top player in the tournament is using it. It's how I went legendary before. What happened to make it fall out of favor?

I think for laddering it is probably totally viable. The problem is that in a tournament you have to be strong against the decks people are likely to bring as opposed to strong against anything. So being good against the best wild decks is much more important than something that is generally viable. In general, tournament decks aren't necessarily a great representation of what is a good deck to get to legend. Especially in Wild where there are TONS of decks and all you need to do to win is have a strong endgame and be able to survive against aggro decks.

The Wild meta seem to be either two things... doing a fast combined 30 Damage before Turn 6, or creating a minion that does over 30 Damage in a single turn before or after Turn 6. It is almost impossible to heal your way out of trouble and constantly draw Reno too... so everyone has just gone hard aggro.

Top Bottom