• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a vegan just left the dinner table to sit outside

That is not normal behavior. He knew he was going to a dinner with multiple individuals. Did he think everyone was going with the vegan option? What did he expect?

Vegan alternatives have been a staple of my diet for years due to a dairy allergy. I'm incredibly grateful that so many options exist. Sadly, my proximity to this world has led to me encountering people similar to this. It's just a form of odd self-righteousness.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Not eating together won't be an option in the short-term. We're all together under the same roof for a family vacation. So I guess the rest of us will just have to eat vegetarian food (he seems to be ok with us eating vegetarian, we don't have to go full vegan) for the rest of the week
You all shouldn't have to change your lifestyles on the whim of some dude's tantrum, but you do you I guess

Moze

Banned
How comfortable would people in this thread feel sitting at a table where a dead dog is being consumed?

Hylian7

Is this your sister OP?

tumblr_inline_nstvbn0yYP1tof6dn_500.gif

Zabka

Not eating together won't be an option in the short-term. We're all together under the same roof for a family vacation. So I guess the rest of us will just have to eat vegetarian food (he seems to be ok with us eating vegetarian, we don't have to go full vegan) for the rest of the week

That's rude. Get a big bag of beef jerky and eat it everywhere.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wonder how he'd react to a sushi boat full of every kind of seafood creature you can think of.

giphy.gif

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker

Fuck that.

Eat what you want.

I mean, I can understand his mindset. If you were at a dinner table and everyone was eating people, though they've specially prepared you some chicken, I doubt anyone here would want to stay at that table even if they made the effort.

Nipo

I wish it were that easy, but given his sister walked out in solidarity with her husband its a little more complicated. She's on his side so if they don't get invited back, he'll feel like her family is intolerant and discriminating towards their vegan lifestyle which could cause the sister to turn against her own family and for both parties to essentially disown one another.

Except in the rarest of cases being vegan is a choice people make, and you don't need to be accepting of it since they can stop anytime. Just like you don't need to accept smokers, people who refuse to wear anything but black, and the one guy who keeps telling yo mama jokes in 2017.

I kinda get it because I do my best not to make my vegan friends feel uncomfortable by chowing down on meat directly in front of them, so I'd say it depends on how they handled it. Were they polite when they walked out or did they stand up and go "I can't possibly fathom how any of you can live with yourselves eating this fish," and storm out? I'm assuming they knew you were having cod ahead of time, so it makes a little less sense.

They were relatively polite.

They didn't go into "I only see Death" mode until after I had questioned him about the behaviour, and if I had kept my mouth shut he probably wouldn't have gone there

Like most GAF stories, I feel like some super duper important context is missing here.

Also, veganism wasn't invented yesterday, so the idea that you're gonna stump a vegan with a hypothetical about plants or bacteria is hilarious.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
I can understand being against eating cows and pigs and stuff cause those are basically big dogs, but fish are dumb as rocks, barely count as life imo

Greenymac

I have close friends who are Vegan and they are easy to have a meal with as long as there are options for them to enjoy as well. Your situation and their actions seem a bit much.

Moze

Banned
I honestly see nothing wrong with this? Was he rude about it when he left or polite? If he politely got up and left, what is the problem? Respect his dedication.

Now I'm curious if your sister chose to go vegan or got guilt tripped into it. He's being an ass about it if you're all having to plan your vacation meals to keep him happy.

Pinkuss

Vegan, wouldn't like the smell but I'd be reasonable and adult about it and put up with it and unless asked I wouldn't comment; usually get meat eaters asking if it's okay like I could decide. (As would most out of the many I know).

Most the comments in this thread snipey at Vegans? Daren't look...

prag16

Banned

Bull shit. Don't kowtow to this guy.

However you did apparently leave something important out of the OP? You mentioned later on that you were being an asshole at some point. That part was not detailed in the OP. What more is there to the story?

And what's the background with regard to your sister's veganism? Did she do it completely of her own volition or is there reason to believe she was strong armed into it by this crybaby?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
As a vegan, I never do this. However, a few points I'd like to make:

Watching people eat meat makes me nauseous.
Sea food started smelling rotten a few months after I went vegan, and I can't be in a room where it's being eaten without severe nausea. I grit my teeth and get through it, without saying anything.
Based around these two points, I can understand why he went outside.

When me and my wife go to dinner somewhere, we're always served "the other" dish. We don't say anything, but it feels very disrespectful. Why not serve something everyone can eat? It's not like only vegans can eat vegan food. We're always treated differently, and it kinda sucks.

So I can sympathise. If he went outside just to make a point though, he's kind of an ass, and one of a brand of vegan I really dislike. Yes, you're doing good for not killing animals, and yes, peoøle need to cut meat consumption, but being a dick about it is not gonna convert people. Rather the contrary.

VanWinkle

I mean, I can understand his mindset. If you were at a dinner table and everyone was eating people, though they've specially prepared you some chicken, I doubt anyone here would want to stay at that table even if they made the effort.

Except society hasn't seen eating people as normal or accepted and done all the time everywhere.

I honestly see nothing wrong with this? Was he rude about it when he left or polite? If he politely got up and left, what is the problem? Respect his dedication.

Why did he go to a family dinner?

tcrunch

I would have taken their dinners back and told them to leave if they don't want to eat with their family that made the food for them.

halfbeast

Banned

according to this thread, if that person was a vegan, they probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I was going to mention earlier that you shouldn't make vegan, only, every time they come to visit now, but it looks like you are already headed that way. This is a power struggle, the guy was hoping for you to give in, and you are.

But I would know I would be going to a cannibalism party. I wouldn't sit down, make my decree, and then walk out.

nicanica

I would beat the shit out of anyone that insulted my retired mom's cooking after she slaves in front of a hot stove making alternatives for ingrates.

Since he's family that bitch deserves a fuckin smack and an apology for that kind of behavior.

She been through too much to get shade from a dipshit.
Edit: Vegans are not dipshits. What your bro in law did, is reminiscent of dipshit behavior however.

PSqueak

Banned
Also, veganism wasn't invented yesterday, so the idea that you're gonna stump a vegan with a hypothetical about plants or bacteria is hilarious.

It's not about calling him an hypocrite because he's a vegan, but calling him out about throwing a tantrum for being in the same room with fish.

Hypron

The guy was being a dick but I kinds get it on some level, some animal food give me some sort of visceral repulsion. I power through it because you kinds have to if you want to live in society though.

I mean, of course you'd do this if you have vegans coming over for dinner. That kind of goes without saying.

Yea. Otherwise it's like knowingly inviting Muslims and serving them pork, you're deliberately insulting them.

wrong. eating animals being wrong is an opinion, not a fact.
seriously? Such a thing exists? Beer is like water, barely, yeast and hops.

Quite a few beers use isinglass

Top Bottom