• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

SimplexPL
Member
(07-23-2017, 02:08 AM)
SimplexPL's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zalusithix

If you're punching things in Echo Arena, don't play Gorn! =P

I must say though, that with all this positive talk, Echo Arena is tempting me to install Oculus' software since it's free for everybody that grabs it in the first 3 months. That's something that even Superhot didn't manage to do for me.

You don't have to install Oculus software to grab free Echo Arena - it can be done in the browser.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/r...9078409873402/
Teknopathetic
Member
(07-23-2017, 02:14 AM)
Teknopathetic's Avatar
"You don't have to install Oculus software to grab free Echo Arena - it can be done in the browser."

You need the Oculus software installed to download the game and you also need the Oculus software installed for Revive to work.
SimplexPL
Member
(07-23-2017, 03:05 AM)
SimplexPL's Avatar
Of course you do, I never claimed otherwise.
I meant that if someone is not planning on playing Echo Arena right now, but wants to get the game for free, he does not have to download and install oculus software - game can be added to your oculus account via browser.
low-G
Member
(07-23-2017, 04:57 AM)
low-G's Avatar

Originally Posted by vermadas

SportsBar VR is 60% off on Bundlestars - $7.99 USD

Sale is long dead now, but wow that's some NICE pool table simulation. Really well implemented and fun. The air hockey is great too.
kinggroin
Banned
(07-23-2017, 07:50 AM)
kinggroin's Avatar
Guys. Form.


Seriously. BUY FORM.
closer013
Member
(07-23-2017, 07:56 AM)
closer013's Avatar

Originally Posted by kinggroin

Guys. Form.


Seriously. BUY FORM.

That looks great. Oculus support?
kinggroin
Banned
(07-23-2017, 07:59 AM)
kinggroin's Avatar

Originally Posted by closer013

That looks great. Oculus support?


It's a Steam VR game. Yes it does.
The Dude
Member
(07-23-2017, 08:00 AM)
The Dude's Avatar
Great thread. And lone echo is amazing.. It's hard to believe that this type of game and vr actually exists, I'm blown away.
closer013
Member
(07-23-2017, 08:07 AM)
closer013's Avatar

Originally Posted by kinggroin

It's a Steam VR game. Yes it does.

Will the steam games that only say they have Vive support still work with the Rift?

Edit:reworded to be less alien.
The Dude
Member
(07-23-2017, 08:09 AM)
The Dude's Avatar

Originally Posted by low-G

Sale is long dead now, but wow that's some NICE pool table simulation. Really well implemented and fun. The air hockey is great too.

The pool that good? Yea that's going to be my next purchase easily, pumped to play it
CSX
Member
(07-23-2017, 08:11 AM)
recently got a psvr and bought superhot vr. Loving it but everytime i need to turn sideways, the camera loses the locations of my move controllers. Is the only way to fix this is figuring out a way to angle the camera downward on a high spot on a wall?
Lakuza
Member
(07-23-2017, 08:25 AM)
Lakuza's Avatar

Originally Posted by CSX

recently got a psvr and bought superhot vr. Loving it but everytime i need to turn sideways, the camera loses the locations of my move controllers. Is the only way to fix this is figuring out a way to angle the camera downward on a high spot on a wall?

You're asking in the wrong thread, this one is for pc vr like oculus and vive.

for ps vr go here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...56694&page=106

Taking a guess at your issue, it might be that you're too close to the camera. The tracking area expands from the camera like a cone so maybe you're moving outside that area when turning sideways (if you are standing too close). So either try moving further away from the camera or move the camera further away if you can.
Zalusithix
Member
(07-23-2017, 08:25 AM)

Originally Posted by CSX

recently got a psvr and bought superhot vr. Loving it but everytime i need to turn sideways, the camera loses the locations of my move controllers. Is the only way to fix this is figuring out a way to angle the camera downward on a high spot on a wall?

I think you'd get a better response asking in the PSVR thread. While Superhot was originally a PCVR game, that has little to do with the hardware limitations of a given platform. I know a higher position is more occlusion resistant for the Rift sensors and the Vive's Lighthouses, but whether it would help for PSVR or just make matters worse due to increased tracking distance I can't say. PSVR is a rather different animal from the PCVR solutions.
Paganmoon
Member
(07-23-2017, 08:29 AM)
Paganmoon's Avatar

Originally Posted by vermadas

TriDef VR
If you don't have a MSI hardware, try this.

Haven't tried it myself.

Cool, thanks, seems as though after installing, I can only buy or activate, no option for trial. Apparently open for all sometime in September, will have to try again then.
Strangely they seem to be going for a SaaS path with tridefvr,.
causan
Member
(07-23-2017, 08:37 AM)
causan's Avatar
I've purchased all 3 of the rifts summer packs and played through the free games I received with my rift I purchase a couple weeks ago and I'm having a blast. But I haven't messed with anything on steam vr so I'm wondering what are some of the most have games on steam vr?
The Dude
Member
(07-23-2017, 08:42 AM)
The Dude's Avatar

Originally Posted by causan

I've purchased all 3 of the rifts summer packs and played through the free games I received with my rift I purchase a couple weeks ago and I'm having a blast. But I haven't messed with anything on steam vr so I'm wondering what are some of the most have games on steam vr?

Haven't played them yet but vanishing realms and call of the starseed are 2 so far on steam I'm eyeballing. Check them out, they both look decent to me and probably two I'll be purchasing soon
zombipuppy
Member
(07-23-2017, 08:57 AM)
zombipuppy's Avatar
As a new owner of the Rift, I have to say that many of the experiences have been wonderful so far.

But dudes... experiencing some oldie goodies like Doom 3 and especially Quake 2 in VR--simply awesome! I'm glad there are independent tinkerers and devs bringing those kinds of experiences for free to owners of the original games. I'm on the lookout for a Thief VR experience now.
ArtHands
Member
(07-23-2017, 09:27 AM)

Originally Posted by causan

I've purchased all 3 of the rifts summer packs and played through the free games I received with my rift I purchase a couple weeks ago and I'm having a blast. But I haven't messed with anything on steam vr so I'm wondering what are some of the most have games on steam vr?

You should check out the OP. We have a google doc page where we list the best VR titles for Rift and Vive.

I just updated the list with some new games like Twisted Arrow, Brookhaven Experiment, VINDICTA, Fantastic Contraption etc. If you guys have something you seriously enjoyed, please recommend it by adding it to the list.
Auto-Reply
Member
(07-23-2017, 09:36 AM)
Auto-Reply's Avatar

Originally Posted by causan

I've purchased all 3 of the rifts summer packs and played through the free games I received with my rift I purchase a couple weeks ago and I'm having a blast. But I haven't messed with anything on steam vr so I'm wondering what are some of the most have games on steam vr?




List from the old thread


-

Has anyone tried Cutlass yet?

The little ship reminds me on the tank engine from Conductor, could be great fun "micromanaging" your own little ship in a similar way you did with the tank engine in Conductor. (20 bucks is a bit too much for me to take a gamble on this as it also seems rather simplistic, compared to Conductor at least as you can step off the tank engine and explore the surroundings of the traintracks and solve puzzles with a gravity gun. I don't think there is anything similar in this game)
brain_stew
Hello friend! Have you heard the good news about Jesus PC gaming?
(07-23-2017, 10:27 AM)
So I finally pulled the trigger on the Rift. Of the 3 Oculus packs currently on sale which would be a good pick for an introduction to VR (factoring in the titles that already come with the headset). I want a mix of good introductory software to demo and something for me to sink my teeth into as single player content.

Tempted to just buy Superhot, Job Simulator and Lone Echo? How is The Climb? Is it too intense for something to demo VR to friends?
Auto-Reply
Member
(07-23-2017, 10:35 AM)
Auto-Reply's Avatar

Originally Posted by brain_stew

So I finally pulled the trigger on the Rift. Of the 3 Oculus packs currently on sale which would be a good pick for an introduction to VR (factoring in the titles that already come with the headset). I want a mix of good introductory software to demo and something for me to sink my teeth into as single player content.

Tempted to just buy Superhot, Job Simulator and Lone Echo? How is The Climb? Is it too intense for something to demo VR to friends?

In my experience it's best to not show people anything with artificial locomotion at all when they never tried VR before, stick to teleport only! There is more than enough content out there to entertain them for hours and hours without the possibility of giving them motionsickness. It's your choice at the end of the day of course but it really is a bummer when someone gets hit by motionsickness, what was supposed to be a fun experience for everyone involved can end in a few minutes and leave a bad impression overall.
Imur
Member
(07-23-2017, 02:27 PM)
Imur's Avatar
I guess I will wait with Lone Echo. If it's so much better than anything else, I feel like I wouldn't enjoy the older games as much as I would now if I play it before them. Countless Hours of Echo Arena already kind of ruined the WOAH Effect from beeing in VR alone.
Lakuza
Member
(07-23-2017, 02:51 PM)
Lakuza's Avatar

Originally Posted by brain_stew

So I finally pulled the trigger on the Rift. Of the 3 Oculus packs currently on sale which would be a good pick for an introduction to VR (factoring in the titles that already come with the headset). I want a mix of good introductory software to demo and something for me to sink my teeth into as single player content.

Tempted to just buy Superhot, Job Simulator and Lone Echo? How is The Climb? Is it too intense for something to demo VR to friends?

Robo recall: awesome introduction to vr and one of the best games i've played yet on vr, plus its free. great visuals, a ton of freedom and interactivity and its quick to jump in

Superhot vr: easy to understand, good amount of interactivity and it throws you into the game instantly (no menu, loads straight into the last checkpoint).

Affected the manor: cheap, short horror game/ experience. Great for showing horror to people new to vr, controls are simple so its great for anyone. It lasts about 10-20 minutes, involves walking around a haunted mansion with no puzzle solving, so its usually one of the first thing I show to people who visit, to show the potential of horror in vr.

Lone echo: haven't started this yet but its getting a lot of good reviews and responses so worth looking into. The multiplayer portion is free to add to your library so get that atleast before it becomes a buy to play game (once in your library, you don't have to pay for it).

Mage's tale: this fits the "something to sink my teeth into" category. You're a mage exploring dungeons, fighting goblins, trolls etc. First person view where you learn and craft spells. For example, fire spell you throw like a bomb (can also throw it doing a haduken pose like your ryu if you want. Lightning is straight up hold hand out like a sith lord to electrute enemies. Lots of secrets to solve and find with multiple paths leading off course to treasure etc. It's not on the level of the games above in being a wow factor but I'm enjoying it so far. Features different movement styles like free movement control, or short step warping.

Raw Data: Early access game right now and similar to robo recall. This one is a wave based shooter where you defend a point on the map. Has a growing campaign with each mission taking place in a new location. You can pick from 4 different characters (a gray fox like character weild a light saber katana, a pistol weilding guy, a hulk fist guy with a shotgun or an archer that have their own play style and controls). Features co-op for all missions and also recently added online competitive multiplayer.

The cilmb I passed on since it was almost the price of a console game and the content seems a bit limited to me. I see it as a novelty game though since I'm not interested in climbing in real life so I assume i'd try it a couple of times and never play again.

Job simulator is a good intro to vr but it was one of the first games out for vr so it may be dated now, thats the reason I haven't got it myself yet (but i probably will when it goes on sale).

EDIT:
If you're into art or know someone like that, Quill is pretty cool. A room scale sketchbook basically. Tried it for the first time today and got weirdly addicted to it. Was able to draw a life size knight dashing forward with a longsword. But because I could move around the drawing I could draw the entire character. I'm doing a bad job of explaining, its free so give it a go when you have 5 minutes to spare :D
Wardancer
Junior Member
(07-23-2017, 03:07 PM)

Originally Posted by kinggroin

Guys. Form.


Seriously. BUY FORM.

Bought FORM, FORM is cool... the music bit was really cool. Only thing i kinda dislike is that you basically only ever poke the thing that is the next step in the "puzzle". It needs a lot more "dead ends" or where you can do a thing and realize you need to do something else first on your own. Would make the player feel like they had more agency rather than just following the steps.
adeptusminor
Junior Member
(07-23-2017, 03:11 PM)

Originally Posted by closer013

Will the steam games that only say they have Vive support still work with the Rift?

Edit:reworded to be less alien.

The Rift supports SteamVR , so yeah. The reason that those games don't list Oculus is either the developer hasn't tested the game with a Rift, or they might not have implemented the Touch graphics instead of the Vive wands or something along those lines. The controls might be a little wonky if they haven't developed it with Touch in mind, but the games themselves will work.
The Dude
Member
(07-23-2017, 04:00 PM)
The Dude's Avatar
Anyone keeping up with vanishing realms? Are they not putting out any more content? Seems to be what I gather but not quite sure.
Padinn
Member
(07-23-2017, 05:12 PM)
Any tips for dealing with cable on Vive once it gets wound up or twisted? Seems to happy to mine a lot...wondering what I can do about it.
SimplexPL
Member
(07-23-2017, 05:19 PM)
SimplexPL's Avatar

Originally Posted by Paganmoon

Cool, thanks, seems as though after installing, I can only buy or activate, no option for trial. Apparently open for all sometime in September, will have to try again then.

You can activate a trial if you have MSI hardware (mobo, gpu, laptop, backpack computer).

Originally Posted by Lakuza

Raw Data: Early access game right now and similar to robo recall. This one is a wave based shooter where you defend a point on the map.

This is true for the first introductory level - each subsequent level introduces new mechanics, maps are getting bigger and vertical, you need to move around the map a lot, so it's not a typical wave shooter where you stand in one place, like Space Pirate Trainer. It's really so much more than a wave shooter.
Zalusithix
Member
(07-23-2017, 06:34 PM)

Originally Posted by ArtHands

You should check out the OP. We have a google doc page where we list the best VR titles for Rift and Vive.

I just updated the list with some new games like Twisted Arrow, Brookhaven Experiment, VINDICTA, Fantastic Contraption etc. If you guys have something you seriously enjoyed, please recommend it by adding it to the list.

Exactly. The auto-list was explicitly made to answer open ended general questions like that - for both stores. It requires people to submit games to fulfill its purpose though. Right now only a mere half dozen people have contributed other than myself. For so few contributions it's actually a pretty good list, but the popularity sorting isn't going to function well with those numbers. There's only currently two games that have managed to net even three submissions.

If you're going to put in the effort to answer questions like that, then please consider officially recording that information into the list submission. It only requires three game submissions to start out, which is nothing for anybody not shilling a single game. The submission form will remember your responses, and they can be edited at any time; it's a living list. Adding to the list will not only help answer the question at the time, but answer similar future questions.

Originally Posted by Padinn

Any tips for dealing with cable on Vive once it gets wound up or twisted? Seems to happy to mine a lot...wondering what I can do about it.

Check out the SteamVR thread and TurnSignal in the overlays section. It should help manage your positioning in game so that it doesn't get overly twisted while playing. Beyond that, the thread is a much better resource for anything SteamVR / hardware related.
Auto-Reply
Member
(07-23-2017, 07:06 PM)
Auto-Reply's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zalusithix

The stationary wave shooter genre was rather tiring back when seemingly every other VR game was of that mold. These days, however, we have a much wider variety of games to chose from. I can totally see a good wave shooter being a nice change of pace for short sessions, and TLH is certainly a great execution of the genre. There's been many updates to TLH since I last played, but even back then it was probably the best of its ilk.

I've seen all levels now and this was better than I thought it would be, definitely a game to recommend even though it's "just a wave shooter".
Now on to The First Encounter.
Drain You
Member
(07-23-2017, 07:15 PM)
Drain You's Avatar
Got to play with a Vive at my uncles house last night and was blown away. Perfect setup, nice open space in the basemen, headset wires were hung from the ceiling so we could freely move around. Tried some underwater demo, walk the plank thing, this breaking roller coaster type thing, serious Sam, project cars, and this music game with orange and blue paddles. I was least impressed with Project cars surprisingly, but everything else blew my mind. I loved the feeling of being way up high, I can only imagine how much this will improve in a few years. Also I gotta say the headset was very comfortable.
GuitarAtomik
Member
(07-23-2017, 07:22 PM)
GuitarAtomik's Avatar
Man I'm really enjoying Lone Echo. So solid. The sense of freedom it gives you in mobility is amazing. The moment I went from inside the space station to outside of it and realized this was all open with no load times was one of those walking out of the sewers in Oblivion moments. Had an issue getting Echo Arena to start yesterday though. Hopefully that was just a fluke.

Originally Posted by Zalusithix

Well if you don't mind waiting... Lone Echo gameplay with Knuckles

I need these now!
Auto-Reply
Member
(07-23-2017, 07:49 PM)
Auto-Reply's Avatar
Didn't know Onward has bots now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM6_zdmW43w kinda tempted to pick up this game now because of that specific feature, just to play a round or two without relying on other players.
Veritigo_X
Member
(07-23-2017, 07:58 PM)
Veritigo_X's Avatar
Anyone try out Ultrawings that just came out? I like the idea of a flight game that uses motion controllers to control a cockpit instead of relying on a HOTAS.
Zalusithix
Member
(07-23-2017, 08:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Drain You

Got to play with a Vive at my uncles house last night and was blown away. Perfect setup, nice open space in the basemen, headset wires were hung from the ceiling so we could freely move around. Tried some underwater demo, walk the plank thing, this breaking roller coaster type thing, serious Sam, project cars, and this music game with orange and blue paddles. I was least impressed with Project cars surprisingly, but everything else blew my mind. I loved the feeling of being way up high, I can only imagine how much this will improve in a few years. Also I gotta say the headset was very comfortable.

Underwater demo = theBlu. Music game with "orange and blue paddles" = Audioshield. For the most part it sounds like you played stuff from around the launch period of the Vive or traditional games adapted for VR. They're solid titles to introduce somebody to VR with, but not fully representative of the current state of VR gaming. So in regards to your comment of "I only can imagine how much this will improve in a few years": it's already improved from what you experienced!

Also not sure if your uncle had a deluxe audio strap for the Vive. Did it have built in headphones (not earbuds)? If not, it was the original strap. The DAS improves the comfort of the Vive by a rather decent margin. If you found the original strap very comfortable, then the DAS will be heaven.
low-G
Member
(07-23-2017, 08:11 PM)
low-G's Avatar

Originally Posted by Veritigo_X

Anyone try out Ultrawings that just came out? I like the idea of a flight game that uses motion controllers to control a cockpit instead of relying on a HOTAS.

Ultrawings has been on Oculus store for a while. Nicely immersive. I had to actually tone down the comfort settings to not get nausea. I think it's the rocking & bobbing that does me. Very great concept. Dying for more good quality PilotWings-esque stuff in VR...
closer013
Member
(07-23-2017, 09:25 PM)
closer013's Avatar

Originally Posted by adeptusminor

The Rift supports SteamVR , so yeah. The reason that those games don't list Oculus is either the developer hasn't tested the game with a Rift, or they might not have implemented the Touch graphics instead of the Vive wands or something along those lines. The controls might be a little wonky if they haven't developed it with Touch in mind, but the games themselves will work.

Thanks for the concise answer, it was better than any info I've found.
Drain You
Member
(07-23-2017, 10:38 PM)
Drain You's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zalusithix


Also not sure if your uncle had a deluxe audio strap for the Vive. Did it have built in headphones (not earbuds)? If not, it was the original strap. The DAS improves the comfort of the Vive by a rather decent margin. If you found the original strap very comfortable, then the DAS will be heaven.

Yup, those were the games, and yes he did mention he got the upgraded strap. I look forward to having the space and cash for a setup for myself. I'll absolutely be heading over and try some of the better VR games I've heard about.
ArtHands
Member
(07-24-2017, 07:43 AM)
There's a vr game call Theseus that I think we should push the dev to port it to the Vive/Rift. I have emailed the dev and they say they will do it if they gets sufficient demand from Vive/Rift.

http://www.reply.com/forge-reply/theseus/

So lets tweet or email them to push for a Vive/Rift release.

https://twitter.com/forgereply
ArtHands
Member
(07-24-2017, 07:51 AM)
Lol what

Chairmanchuck
Member
(07-24-2017, 09:38 AM)
Chairmanchuck's Avatar
Anyone thinks lighting and reflections are really important in VR?
Just finished The Assembly yesterday and it really impressed me and made it believable.

On the other hand you have some low budget Escape Room games which are fun, but not so believable because this is missing.
Plasma
Banned
(07-24-2017, 09:51 AM)
Plasma's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Dude

The pool that good? Yea that's going to be my next purchase easily, pumped to play it

Yes it's good, this is my go to game when I just want to chill out in VR. It supports custom music and videos as well so you can put shows on the TV while you're playing.
GuitarAtomik
Member
(07-24-2017, 08:21 PM)
GuitarAtomik's Avatar
New teaser trailer for a stealth PvP game called Honeypot Espionage.



The basic idea is that if you stay still, you're completely invisible. According to the dev on Reddit, most game modes are going to be objective based to keep players moving around. Locomotion is teleport and you'll stay invisible during a teleport but you'll leave a trail in between points and you have a skill you can use to send out a fake trail to try to trick other players (not sure if there are more skills like that). Also it's going to be F2P with paid cosmetics so it could have a decent chance at a sustainable MP population.
Carl
Member
(07-24-2017, 08:25 PM)
Carl's Avatar
Apologies I posted on this thread thinking it was PSVR
Lord Phol
Member
(07-24-2017, 08:38 PM)
Lord Phol's Avatar
Anyone here have some impressions on Subnautica?
Bought it last steam sale but haven't even tried it in non-vr mode yet. I got a phobia of seas/lakes and the creatures that inhabit them, but the game does look really fun.
Lakuza
Member
(07-24-2017, 09:06 PM)
Lakuza's Avatar
Just played lone echo for the first time (spent about 2 and a half hours in it messing about so I'm still near the start of the story). People weren't exaggerating about this being a step up for vr and a must buy.
cakefoo
Member
(07-24-2017, 09:18 PM)
cakefoo's Avatar

Originally Posted by GuitarAtomik

New teaser trailer for a stealth PvP game called Honeypot Espionage.



The basic idea is that if you stay still, you're completely invisible. According to the dev on Reddit, most game modes are going to be objective based to keep players moving around. Locomotion is teleport and you'll stay invisible during a teleport but you'll leave a trail in between points and you have a skill you can use to send out a fake trail to try to trick other players (not sure if there are more skills like that). Also it's going to be F2P with paid cosmetics so it could have a decent chance at a sustainable MP population.

I'm really interested based on what you wrote, but when will indie devs learn to make good promo videos.
bigwinnerx
Member
(07-24-2017, 10:01 PM)
bigwinnerx's Avatar
Batman VR worth $15? I know that's a first wave thing, but, not much VR stuff is on sale at the moment.
GuitarAtomik
Member
(07-24-2017, 10:17 PM)
GuitarAtomik's Avatar

Originally Posted by cakefoo

I'm really interested based on what you wrote, but when will indie devs learn to make good promo videos.

Lol. You're not wrong.
Auto-Reply
Member
(07-24-2017, 10:20 PM)
Auto-Reply's Avatar
Played a few levels of Serious Sam The First Encounter.

I really like it, first I tested the 3 different locomotion mechanics, which come down to basically 2 different forms of teleportation and regular movement.
Maybe it's tweakable but I feel like the teleportation methods are too slow, they work fine but the rate you are moving along is rather slow when you hold the touchpad down and rapidly clicking the touchpad makes you faster but I feel like wearing out the touchpad of the controller that way.
So I stuck to regular movement and it works great for me (as I'm nearly immune to motionsickness in general).
With the speed you move around in this game it feels comparable to Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (PC version with mouse & k-board), very fast, constant action. This is something I started to appreciate in recent times, I did not in the past.

Playing on normal doesn't give me much problems, only died a few times, I'll have to see if later levels get more difficult and I have to turn it down.
-
Strange remark: The music of the jungle level with the waterfalls (moon mountains) has a nice rythmic tribal beat to it, when the level started I was beginning to slightly dance and then dance and shoot through the level, both at the same time which was quite enjoyable because it was actually possible to do on normal difficulty. Must have looked weird for the huge scorpion monsters and stampeding skelletons in the game, a dancing guy shooting rockets and bullets left and right lol

Thread Tools