• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

There's an article on collider providing several story details on the movie, some of which are spoilers if you don't want to know how this differs from the book

http://collider.com/it-movie-spoilers-things-to-know/

These two aren't really spoilers, but great news:
This movie is very R-rated. Despite the fact that violence towards children can be a no-go with the MPAA, the creative team didn’t have to hold back. The studio wanted the film to be R and that was the plan before the Muschiettis even came on board.
The biggest difference between this script and Cary Fukunaga’s version in the emphasis on the shape-shifting nature of the entity in IT. “It was a good script, in terms of characters and the depth of characters and such, but it didn’t really tap into one of the most attractive traits of the character, which was the shapeshifting qualities.”

Fukunaga's version is sounding worse and worse.

_Isaac

Most of King's answers are "I was high as fuck." Was he high while writing It? Not sure, but probably. I heard somewhere that he doesn't remember writing Dreamcatcher.

I don't know about Dreamcatcher, but I think he's said something similar about Cujo where he barely remembers writing it.

Pretty cool, if they follow up this movie with the kids grown up and returning.

Cool concept for a sequel.

Too bad they tried to make Pennywise so edgy though. How is he described in the book?

Man I hope they do the Ritual of Chud justice, though I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if they avoided it since it's so abstract and conceptual. But it could be dazzling.

Loving the trailers. Based on the easter eggs that have been spotted in the trailers and other promotional material so far, hopefully it's honoring the Dark Tower mythos so we can have a sorta loose Dark Tower cinematic universe thing going on between this and the Dark Tower film this year.

Have you seen this in the DT trailer?

yPdfQP5.jpg

Not really sold on this, Tim Curry was the only reason really people look back on the old tv mini series with any fondness.

Without him it looks like It is just another modern movie monster i.e (Sinister).

Shauni

Most of King's answers are "I was high as fuck." Was he high while writing It? Not sure, but probably. I heard somewhere that he doesn't remember writing Dreamcatcher.

I actually think Dreamcatcher was the book he wrote after he got hit by the car and did it during his recovery. May be wrong, though.

Leeness

I haven't really seen it discussed, but have the directors spoken about the fact that Bill doesn't seem to be Stuttering Bill as a kid? Maybe it would be too difficult for the kid playing him.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

It's funny, there seem to be multiple books people say King doesn't remember writing because of his drug use. I always heard it was Tommyknockers, you said Dreamcatcher, and a quick google says it's actually Cujo.

I actually think Dreamcatcher was the book he wrote after he got hit by the car and did it during his recovery. May be wrong, though.

Nope, you're right. It's an odd, raw, pulpy book, but an interesting one (and possibly necessary for King to write to try and rebuild himself after the accident).

I don’t like Dreamcatcher very much. Dreamcatcher was written after the accident. I was using a lot of Oxycontin for pain. And I couldn’t work on a computer back then because it hurt too much to sit in that position. So I wrote the whole thing longhand. And I was pretty stoned when I wrote it, because of the Oxy, and that’s another book that shows the drugs at work.

Nope, you're right. It's an odd, raw, pulpy book, but an interesting one (and possibly necessary for King to write to try and rebuild himself after the accident).

Interestingly, it also features a brief scene in Derry with a tease about Pennywise
still being alive.
Not sure if I should spoiler that since Dreamcatcher is 16 years old and there's been no sign of King following up on that thread.

I read the book years ago. I really liked it.

But I am trying to think of the last 1/3 of the book and how it ends and I am drawing a complete blank. o_O
The patented Stephen King disease- INCREDIBLE characters, openers, ideas, situations, warmth- followed by questionable third acts that often meander more than entice.

Spoo

The movie behind this trailer looks excellent -- the trailer itself, though, is clearly suffering from having to remind the viewer constantly what it is they want to see (as opposed to what it is they are going to end up seeing, which is much more of a mystery movie with horror elements than a straight up jump-scare horror pop-corn flick).

Was nice to see Pennywise talk, even though that was pretty much the end of a much longer conversation from the book and mini-series. It will be interesting to see how this Pennywise works in longer dialogue. Much more sold on Bill Skarsgard's presence, though -- he towers over these kids and looks reasonably menacing. The style of the movie is on show in just about every frame of this trailer. It's going to end up being a very, very cinematic movie; just needs to be a good one to boot.

As usual, jump scare at the end falls flat. But again, this is what the audience these days kind of expect. It's trying to fit in the mold of The Conjuring, even though that is not at all what the final product will end up being if it stays close to the source material.

zou

voice over guy/pronunciation sucks. pennywise looked like a dog in the sewer.

but most annoyingly, they used lego colors that weren't available in 1989. green 2x4 bricks weren't introduced until 2000, and the light green not until 201x (lime) or 2001 (neon green). Killed that scene right away for me and took me right out. might just as well add minecraft lego, makes just as much sense.

Ross61

but most annoyingly, they used lego colors that weren't available in 1989. green 2x4 bricks weren't introduced until 2000, and the light green not until 201x (lime) or 2001 (neon green). Killed that scene right away for me and took me right out. might just as well add minecraft lego, makes just as much sense.
Of all the things to complain about....

zou

Of all the things to complain about....

so you'd be fine with iphones laptops, flat screen tvs? they are clearly trying to go for an 80s look, using a product that wasn't available in the 80s for a pivotal scene is just jarring. the lego blocks are shown about the same amount of time as pennywise in the sewer, I'm not complaining about some unimportant background decoration.

edit: actually, the lego set is shown longer on screen than pennywise in the sewer scene. but whatever.

Much the same way people Gaming side appear to spend more time talking about games than playing them, we talk about movies more than actually watching.

I dunno how else to explain inane criticisms about horror movie marketing containing jump scares.
What scary horror movie doesn't have jump scares?

This is the best post in this thread

TTG

Looks good, unlike the Dark Tower movie. And deciding to stick to the kids is a positive, King wrote those characters much, much better than their adult selves. I prefer it without that scene or a more pc analogue as well, it's a total facepalm moment. However, leaving all of that behind undercuts
the supernatural quality of their circle/bond
and fate as a theme in general which I think is worth keeping.

It was cool to see the people in the car totally ignore fat boy getting beat up and the balloon floating in the back window. I'm hoping there's a lot more of that than jump scares. I hope they keep everyone's first encounter in too, shooting those in a convincing way would be awesome.

kurahador

Maybe that lego brick is Pennywise. Shit, I hope I didn't just spoiled myself.

so you'd be fine with iphones laptops, flat screen tvs? they are clearly trying to go for an 80s look, using a product that wasn't available in the 80s for a pivotal scene is just jarring. the lego blocks are shown about the same amount of time as pennywise in the sewer, I'm not complaining about some unimportant background decoration.

edit: actually, the lego set is shown longer on screen than pennywise in the sewer scene. but whatever.

jesus he's serious

These two aren't really spoilers, but great news:

Fukunaga's version is sounding worse and worse.

Thanks for mentioning this article.

I was not impressed by Mamma in the least, but the Muschietti's sound like they understand what makes the novel special. In particular, I really appreciated their explanation for the change in era. This (plus the trailers) have put my mind at ease. Good stuff.

hydruxo

This post needs to be in the OT when the movie comes out

Incredible

From what I recall, King started writing It in 1981 and finished, I believe, in 1985. The novel was released in 1986 and he was probably starting Tommyknockers either before he finished It or right after, and the fact that he was said to be high during the filming of Maximum Overdrive (also 1986), it's likely he was high sometime during the writing of It.

Top Bottom