• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Boat 2 [Mafia] |OT| Electric Boogalove

It's also why I avoid commenting and kind of skim the posts. There's not really a lot for me to care about in a lot of the early game analysis so my eyes kind of glaze over.

Alright, I'm now back in my little hidey-hole, and I promised I'd do some reads on Orb. Obviously I still feel like Kitsune is shady, but we've all established that by now, so I'm going to move on for the time being.

I did a quick search of Orb's posts...and there's next to nothing there. Like, he's got a few posts, but nothing in terms of worthwhile content that contribute positively to the discussion. There's a difference between being completely MIA, like Nin, and being around and in the game, and coasting. Obviously the latter applies to Orb in this instance.

The focus of my reads on him deal with a central theme: a non-committal attitude. It's a core component of many scum plays and attitudes. They tend to leave themselves available to playing both sides of the fence, and hardly take any strong stances either way in fear of being "on the wrong side". Unless, of course, they know they can swing shit in their favor, but I've seen people playing up the newbie card or the "I don't know, I don't want to get anyone in trouble!" time and time again, both when I play scum, and when I don't.

You just broke my heart ;_;

Now that I've woken up, though, I do still feel Panadas is fishy

See, this would be fine on it's own. Gut reads are fine, and I don't necessarily think they're bad. But then he follows up with this:

I'll remember this

Honestly, I feel Pandas is more suspicious. Though it's hard for me to explain why.

And I'm reluctant just because I know life can get in the way of things sometimes :/

He's reluctant to share the details of his gut read, which tells me that, again, he's playing at sitting on both sides of the fence.

Other telling posts:

Yeah, I don't wanna be in the middle, I just wanna feel more.... idk secure(?) with a suspicion before outright accusing.

I feel like if he was town, he would take a side either way. The goal of scum is self-preservation, which is why I went after Kitsune earlier. He's not taking hard stances because he's preparing for the possibility of having to defend himself later on. And the less opinions he gives, the less evidence town will have on him.

It's fine to be secure in your opinions, even if they turn out to be wrong. I don't like how he claims to be playing carefully in the best interests of town. That's not necessarily how things work, or how they should work, in my opinion.

I'm still pretty firm that neither Dragonz or Kit are scum.

I'm also reluctant to consider the ones not posting often, but a few do seem fishily quiet like Star/Fish

Goes after the low-hanging fruit of StarFish, who at the time, hadn't really said anything of note.

As a newbie I might just be too trusting but so far I haven't seen anyone be particularly suspicious

No one is suspicious to him because he, again, doesn't want to be on the wrong side of history and doesn't want to wrongfully accuse someone because he probably knows who the actual scum team is. Tbh.

Also I don't like how he plays into the newbie thing again.

I think about the same, I don't think she's scum either

honestly seems more like two ppl jumping to accuse the other

i wanna avoid accusing anybody too early though

Again, not committing to one side.

None of this is giving me good vibes; honestly I don't buy into the whole "Oh he's new, give him a break" shit. If I think you're scummy, and you're playing like scum, I'm gonna vote for you.

Vote: Orb

As an aside, I don't like how quickly he was to jump to my defense, when even I will admit I did some pretty shady shit (I still stand by it, but I know when I'm being scummy). This, again, makes me feel like he's trying to appease town and will be on the winning side if and when I flip.

I will look into his partner, TWE, later.

Sorian

Banned
There's...something off about this.

Man, you are trying so hard to put them back on the table aren't you?

I would also like to point out that kitsune is MIA.

Coasting scum alert.

No shit

Why would I talk about myself and lie about it?

Maybe too meta, but my scum play is super self conscious so I don't see myself lying there in any case. I try to avoid lying because I'm bad at it.

I'm aware that it's weird but that whole post was weird.

Alternatively:

I was sleeping?

#scummoning

Also, make it more obvious with the stream of garbage posts afterwards.

franconp

I'm still furiously brushing my cat and lazily creating a post for Nomadic but what is this

Just so we're clear, what do you mean when you say 'poke another player'? Does that imply my vote had no serious intent? If so, my vote wasn't some simple poke, it was me giving reasoning that felt suitable enough for a vote at that time. It was a serious enough vote that if the game had somehow ended right then and there, it'd be my final vote and I'd be fine with it. If Ouro said in this thread my vote was just meant to be a "poke" without serious intent, then Ouro can drink expired milkshakes.

From where I stand, (unless this gets a bit more cleared up), it seems like you and your partner Worm may have both misunderstood (in different ways) what my vote against Crimsophia was about.

I wasn't talking about your vote, I was talking about Ouro's.

Here is him saying it was a poke vote:

I know. It was mostly a joke vote since Sophia hadn't posted too much. The rest was I like to poke Sophia. Since then though SoCrimsonphist has still been on my radar so I'm happy with keeping it there for the moment.

I find it weird that both of your votes are on the same player when Ouro said that his vote was a poke. Your vote has an justification behind, his didn't. If he was just joking/poking it would make sense to move it after his partner made the same vote. Why keep it if he didn't had a serious motive to do it?

All this would be solved if Ouro gives the reasons of his vote but he seems to be interested in avoiding any subject.

kingkitty

Prior to your entrance,

Ouro made a post about side eyeing people who tried to connect him to fireblend. there was a lot confusion about what he meant. What didn't help was the subsequent dodginess of his posts and a lot of speculation of him being scum by a lot people. There may have been votes

Ok well for now I'm comfortable giving Ouro a strong null read.

The side eye thing was certainly preemptive but I'm not sure what was confusing. On the same page he explained what he meant by the statement, which that he thought if Fireblend flipped scum, he'd give a huge side of an eye towards anyone who might try in the future to connect scumblend with the Ourokitty. I assume because of Ouro's early positive read of Fireblend. Now people are free to disagree with the idea, but I personally didn't find it confusing.

The rest is just Ouro sass, which I've seen before, but obviously I'm biased aren't I? I am his boatroommate.

I will try to post another thought before I sleep.

franconp

I don't have a read on someone like I did Verelios in that game. Just cause I haven't doesn't mean I won't. And I gave some names and right now it's gut because you don't have a whole lot to go off of in D1.

Actually that time you went hard on Verelios on D2 after he tried to get you lynched when you weren't around at days end. But before that you at least tried some scum hunting. I feel the complete opposite now.

Ourobolus

Banned
Actually that time you went hard on Verelios on D2 after he tried to get you lynched when you weren't around at days end. But before that you at least tried some scum hunting. I feel the complete opposite now.
1. Fran you literally quoted my reasoning in your previous post
2. I'm paying attention. D1 in OW was a special case cause I got lucky with my gut. I'm still scumhunting but D1 isn't usually useful to me until D2.

Ourobolus

Banned
I also went after Verelios on D1 that game for nitpicking a post I made early on that game. I didn't wait until he tried to lynch me while I was out.

My reads so far. Realizing they're pretty sad. No particular order

Leaning town:
5. [m] TsuXna & [m] Royal_Flush - royal pulling all the weight but good contributions imo. Of course I've only played against scum total once and it was a Christmas miracle we caught him
1. [m] Muffin1611 & [f] Samuraischnecke - i did notice Sam's readlist and found it a decent effort, while muffin has been putting in solid work today. Feel good about you two overall
8. [m] Trigger & [m] Ty4on - ty pulling the weight here but haven't been triggered by his partner
6. [m] franconp & [m] Dr. Worm - i Thought Fran has doing pretty well yesterday while i like worm today. Adds up to a good team for me

Null:
15. [-] Darryl & [m] nin1000 - liking Darryl but not much there
3. [m] Fat4all & [m] Sorian - i feel like i can't even remember anything fat has said but sorian has been decent
14. [f] StarSketch & [m] SexyFish - nothing much. 65% null
13. [m] Orb & [m] TheWorthyEdge - need to look reread both
11. [m] Verelios & [f] WhereAreMahDragonz - i like vere okay and don't particularly like it dislike dragonz. Will look into the orb angle next. Actually, i like that dragonz is bringing up new shit. This may be my towniest null
2. [m] TheExodu5 & [m] Fireblend - fire i liked more early on but don't dislike now. Nothing on exo.
4. [m] CrimsonFist & [f] Sophia - this is the team i worry about the most, but not necessarily that i find scummy. I wish i had better reads on Sophia, but crimson has been okay
7. [m] Xbro & [m] Karkador - not much. Want more from kark still

Leaning scum:
12. [m] Ourobolus & [m] kingkitty - ouro is purposefully vague and unhelpful. Kitty is perpetually promising opinions that never seen to materialize. I wish either one could manufacture some solid opinions
10. [m] Natiko & [m] Nomadic Sparks - natiko is solid. Nomad is all over. I feel like natiko is reigning his partner in a bit. I was criticized for not going to bar for kits but whatever opinions she earned from her exchange, she earned. I know she's town and don't mind her proving it without me swooping in. I'd like to see nomad fend for himself a bit.

Unvote

Actually, i guess kitty is just slipping under my radar for some reason. Just read through. I'm going to leave him and ouro where they're at, but slight points for kitty

Ourobolus

Banned
FINE

Lean Town:
9. [f] kitsunelaine & [m] flatearthpandas
- FEP has been pretty good so far, posting some reads (just now) and while not available that much, his posts have some effort behind them.
11. [m] Verelios & [f] WhereAreMahDragonz
- WAMD and kitsune got into it earlier, but I'm not seeing a manufacted argument this early in the game. Points for Verelios being generally level-headed.
2. [m] TheExodu5 & [m] Fireblend
- Exodu5 is a whole lotta nothin', but Fireblend has put in some decent work, asking questions that I think are at least somewhat useful.

Null:
13. [m] Orb & [m] TheWorthyEdge
- I'll admit I need to take a look a bit closer at these two, but from what I remember it's mostly fluff.
14. [f] StarSketch & [m] SexyFish
- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
15. [-] Darryl & [m] nin1000
- nin is away and Darryl has made all of what, two posts?
8. [m] Trigger & [m] Ty4on
- I do like Ty, but I also have trouble reading him. Trigger was here for a moment and seemed to put forth some decent questions, but I can't put them as lean town just yet, due to Ty.
5. [m] TsuXna & [m] Royal_Flush
- TsuXna is absent though I believe they have exams or something right now (according to his chats in Discord). Flush puts up decent material in his partner's absence though.
10. [m] Natiko & [m] Nomadic Sparks
- Nomad is flailing, and Natiko is picking up the slack. Nothing really stands out though.
6. [m] franconp & [m] Dr. Worm
- fran is all up my ass again and is wrong yet again. Has good intentions, but is way off base. Worm is confused.

Lean Scum:
7. [m] Xbro & [m] Karkador
- Whole lotta nothing from these guys, and I'd at least expect Kark to put forth some effort, or at least a ridiculous gambit or shitposting
4. [m] CrimsonFist & [f] Sophia
- Something is off here. Like I said before, early on they went hard throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. They've since toned it down after myself and others noticed it...
1. [m] Muffin1611 & [f] Samuraischnecke
- Muffin has some...odd posts here and there, that others have pointed out. However, I'm less inclined to believe that BOTH Crimsophistia and these guys are scum. Still possible, but some of the back-and-forth they've had makes me think otherwise. Either way, they'll both sit in "lean scum" for the time being.
3. [m] Fat4all & [m] Sorian
- Sorian's not alignment indicative and Fat has been quiet (though both claim to be busy, which, ok, fine, no issues with that). Sorian's super-aggressive, which as town can be somewhat good, but as scum can be pretty damaging to town.

franconp

Pile? It was two votes, and we both had our own reasoning.

Maybe I expressed myself badly. It's more proper to say "stacked". My bad.

And your reasons is what I'm failing to see. I can understand KK's but I still don't understand why you are keeping your vote.

Ourobolus

Banned
Maybe I expressed myself badly. It's more proper to say "stacked". My bad.

And your reasons is what I'm failing to see. I can understand KK's but I still don't understand why you are keeping your vote.

Because since then I've seen behavior that warrants me keeping it there? How is that that difficult to grasp

franconp

Because since then I've seen behavior that warrants me keeping it there? How is that that difficult to grasp

For example?

This is what I mean when I say you aren't scumhunting. This is a good opportunity to start a discussion on someone who you find scummy but you aren't making a case about it.

Ourobolus

Banned
For example?

This is what I mean when I say you aren't scumhunting. This is a good opportunity to start a discussion on someone who you find scummy but you aren't making a case about it.
Yeah, I'm not going to repeat myself for the fiftieth time. Just go read Crimson/Sophia's posts after I voted for a little bit. If you don't see it, then that's fine, you can have a different read than I do.

kingkitty

I will try to post another thought before I sleep.

meh I lied! going to brush my teeth. But tomorrow I plan to have my own dank read list sometime after work.

I do want to reiterate just in case some of my posts have been skimmed passed that Typhoon should be thrown into a volcano. He should be melted like Arnold in Terminator 2. The retroactive reasoning to his buttposts in a way to make it seem a bit more townie is too weird to ignore (at least for me). If Ty4on was scum, he might have wanted to create a bit more sense of activity at the early goings, but faced with confrontation over some of buttposts decides to try to spin it into a favorable position.

What are other people's thoughts about it? Not weird at all? Pretty weird? Somewhere in the middle?

Orb

Although (CET timezone) Friday night/Saturday morning i will be MIA mostly vand not able to participate much if at all
Birthday celebrations

Sophia

For example?

I can't believe I'm defending Ouro's vote on me, but even I see what he's talking about. I started off with some very passive aggressive play. But this hardly has anything to do with "toning it down", and simply trying to poke for early day 1 discussion. Which Crimson noted, I might add.

Orb

Alright, I'm now back in my little hidey-hole, and I promised I'd do some reads on Orb. Obviously I still feel like Kitsune is shady, but we've all established that by now, so I'm going to move on for the time being.

I did a quick search of Orb's posts...and there's next to nothing there. Like, he's got a few posts, but nothing in terms of worthwhile content that contribute positively to the discussion. There's a difference between being completely MIA, like Nin, and being around and in the game, and coasting. Obviously the latter applies to Orb in this instance.

The focus of my reads on him deal with a central theme: a non-committal attitude. It's a core component of many scum plays and attitudes. They tend to leave themselves available to playing both sides of the fence, and hardly take any strong stances either way in fear of being "on the wrong side". Unless, of course, they know they can swing shit in their favor, but I've seen people playing up the newbie card or the "I don't know, I don't want to get anyone in trouble!" time and time again, both when I play scum, and when I don't.

See, this would be fine on it's own. Gut reads are fine, and I don't necessarily think they're bad. But then he follows up with this:

He's reluctant to share the details of his gut read, which tells me that, again, he's playing at sitting on both sides of the fence.

Other telling posts:

I feel like if he was town, he would take a side either way. The goal of scum is self-preservation, which is why I went after Kitsune earlier. He's not taking hard stances because he's preparing for the possibility of having to defend himself later on. And the less opinions he gives, the less evidence town will have on him.

It's fine to be secure in your opinions, even if they turn out to be wrong. I don't like how he claims to be playing carefully in the best interests of town. That's not necessarily how things work, or how they should work, in my opinion.

Goes after the low-hanging fruit of StarFish, who at the time, hadn't really said anything of note.

No one is suspicious to him because he, again, doesn't want to be on the wrong side of history and doesn't want to wrongfully accuse someone because he probably knows who the actual scum team is. Tbh.

Also I don't like how he plays into the newbie thing again.

Again, not committing to one side.

None of this is giving me good vibes; honestly I don't buy into the whole "Oh he's new, give him a break" shit. If I think you're scummy, and you're playing like scum, I'm gonna vote for you.

Vote: Orb

As an aside, I don't like how quickly he was to jump to my defense, when even I will admit I did some pretty shady shit (I still stand by it, but I know when I'm being scummy). This, again, makes me feel like he's trying to appease town and will be on the winning side if and when I flip.

I will look into his partner, TWE, later.

All I can really say to defend myself is im probably garbage at this, especially at trying to keep up with/catch up on arguments(and try to read each person's actions).

Sophia

That being said, reading it over again, Fran does have a point too. Most of the actual observations were made by Verelios, which Ouro just jumped on.

I'm actually happy Vere posted that because both Sophia and Crimson have been bugging me for some reason and I couldn't really put it in words. I wanna say tryhard, but I dunno. It's like pulling at every little thread to see what sticks.

Also why the fuck am I agreeing with Vere

Dr. Worm

Banned
I feel like Ty4on's retroactive shitposting justification is weird in the sense that it doesn't seem to me like a post with any kind of benefit whether he's town or scum; it's just plain weird as opposed to being a tell of any kind

I can't reasonably take a stance on it

Ourobolus

Banned
That being said, reading it over again, Fran does have a point too. Most of the actual observations were made by Verelios, which Ouro just jumped on.

He was the first to actually vocalize it (I was going to let you guys run with it for a while longer to see if it would keep up), I just chimed in after he did so.

Ty4on

I feel like Ty4on's retroactive shitposting justification is weird in the sense that it doesn't seem to me like a post with any kind of benefit whether he's town or scum; it's just plain weird as opposed to being a tell of any kind

I can't reasonably take a stance on it
:eek:k_hand:

this one minute thing is killing me

Verelios

meh I lied! going to brush my teeth. But tomorrow I plan to have my own dank read list sometime after work.

I do want to reiterate just in case some of my posts have been skimmed passed that Typhoon should be thrown into a volcano. He should be melted like Arnold in Terminator 2. The retroactive reasoning to his buttposts in a way to make it seem a bit more townie is too weird to ignore (at least for me). If Ty4on was scum, he might have wanted to create a bit more sense of activity at the early goings, but faced with confrontation over some of buttposts decides to try to spin it into a favorable position.

What are other people's thoughts about it? Not weird at all? Pretty weird? Somewhere in the middle?
Can I get some examples so it's not just generalities?

Sophia

Anything that sticks out to you rn?

Like, anything. I'm not looking for a specific topic/pair :p

Kind of brain dead right now, apologizes.

I did notice earlier that Royal's list of weeding out coasters had a whopping 13 players on it. Even when you take out the three people who are basically MIA, that's still 1/3rd of the entire game. It's making me wonder where exactly scum is at relative to the town. Unfortunately I haven't made much progress on that train of thought.

He was the first to actually vocalize it (I was going to let you guys run with it for a while longer to see if it would keep up), I just chimed in after he did so.

The point is, I award you no (townie) points, and may God have mercy on your soul. :p Also it's pretty easy to say stuff like "Oh I was gonna let you run with it" after the fact.

I do feel slightly better about Verelios tho.

Natiko

Banned
Ty is slightly leaning scum to me primarily because he's not being particularly insightful which is what I expect from town Ty. Don't think I've ever played with scum Ty but from his own words he's usually not sure how to best approach the game which matches up more with what I've seen so far. It's early yet though so he's not at the top of my list.

Ty4on

Kind of brain dead right now, apologizes.

I did notice earlier that Royal's list of weeding out coasters had a whopping 13 players on it. Even when you take out the three people who are basically MIA, that's still 1/3rd of the entire game. It's making me wonder where exactly scum is at relative to the town. Unfortunately I haven't made much progress on that train of thought.

Yeah. Low activity players also get more of a pass with a reasonably active partner, but it's still useful to get a more rounded read.

I don't have that much either, but I wanna make a town circle.

Ty4on

Ty is slightly leaning scum to me primarily because he's not being particularly insightful which is what I expect from town Ty. Don't think I've ever played with scum Ty but from his own words he's usually not sure how to best approach the game which matches up more with what I've seen so far. It's early yet though so he's not at the top of my list.

:(

Do you have a more fleshed out read tho?

Sophia

I played with scum Ty4on in Danny Phantom, and his style there was kind of spreading himself thin trying to appear as a helpful townie. Thing is, he was pretty damn good at it. That being said, I also don't expect scum Ty4on to play the same way twice.

He's a neutral read for me right now. Ty4on has a lot of posts, so going through them is difficult. Also I hate the fact that his partner has very few posts in the thread right now, because I can't simply look to the other partner for a read like I can other more active pairs.

Ty4on

I played with scum Ty4on in Danny Phantom, and his style there was kind of spreading himself thin trying to appear as a helpful townie. Thing is, he was pretty damn good at it. That being said, I also don't expect scum Ty4on to play the same way twice.

He's a neutral read for me right now. Ty4on has a lot of posts, so going through them is difficult. Also I hate the fact that his partner has very few posts in the thread right now, because I can't simply look to the other partner for a read like I can other more active pairs.

That way I didn't have to make any reads ;_;

You played with me in Overwatch too I think?

Ty4on

I don't know what a town circle is or why we'd want to make one

Basically get a group of townies to townread each other then work together to find scum.

I don't feel like I'm really having strong enough town reads for that ATM, but Crimson and Sophia seem the closest.

Ty4on

Oh, that. Yeah, such an odd thing to do especially when he could've just owned up to the shit posting.

Kinda weird move there Ty.

I write like that. If you throw them away you're missing some of my thoughts.
A lot of them are just reactionary stuff for fun, but there are some thoughts behind some of them. I'll never really write the opposite of what I think unless I'm being totally sarcastic for whatever reason.

Top Bottom