• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky 1.3 Update releasing this week (portals, expanded story, and more)

EDIT (8/10/17):

It appears that the web page for the update went up too early. People are reporting seeing features like procedural missions, trade/economy improvements, joint exploration, and more.
S17Jpk7.png
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/6sxpzg/datamined_from_the_leaked_website/

An official date for the patch seems like it will be tomorrow, 8/11/17

EDIT 2: Pics are leaking

Original Post
Hello Games just released an email to all followers of the huge ARG they just ran

The email:

1y7kmsA.png

Full email

This will be the third free content update for the game!

Past two updates (thx legacyzero):

FOUNDATION: https://www.nomanssky.com/foundation-update/
Base building
Creative Mode
Survival mode
Owning and building bases in freighters
New resources
Streamlined UI
Item stacking
Graphics and bells n wistles upgrade
Refreshed universe with improved procedural tech.

PATH FINDER: https://www.nomanssky.com/pathfinder-update/
3 new ground vehicles
PS4 Pro patch, graphics upgrades, unlocked framerate with PS4jr, and 1800p on Pro mode
HDR mode
Base sharing (If somebody finds your base, they will see what you built
Own multiple ships
Ship classes
New shops and traders
Multi-tool classes
Permadeath mode
Weapon modes
Photo mode
QOL improvements
Skipping milestones, and slow letterbox junk

Very much looking forward to the update! The game is pretty damn alright now and a story will definitely be a nice touch to make the game feel well, like more of a game :)

13ruce

Banned
Awesome! Glad i grabbed a cheap copy a few weeks ago. Will jump in after this update!

Edit: amazing that they did such a cool community event btw really nice of em and the conclusion is a new cool update.

Nicko

Looking forward to checking out what's in store! I haven't logged on for the last 2 patches, but this story focused one may be just what I needed to hop back in!

In the email it says "you've become part of the No Man's Sky origin story"

Think there's any chance they use our agent names somehow?

*insert joke about how it's finally coming out of early access, again, somehow*

"Improving the story" implies there was one to begin with

mandiller

I was hoping for an improvement in the procedural tech to make planets more interesting, but I'll take it. If you haven't played since launch, No Man's Sky is already pretty great now btw. If you're playing on a PS4 Pro using a 1080p screen you get 60fps too.

Kalor

I'm curious to see what else is in the patch. Hopefully there's more variety to the generation so you don't see the same seashell rock on every planet.

Saganator

Can't wait to jump back in! I was about to and then this ARG started and speculation about a patch, so I've been waiting patiently.

in before a bunch of opinions on what went wrong with NMS and how big of a liar Sean is.

In a procedural exploration game like this I could care less about a central narrative. I want to make my own stories, I don't need to read more abandoned building logs. Fix the problems with the gameplay systems, improve the procedural generation and diversity. Narrative flavor is way way down on the list.

I'll reserve judgment until the patch notes, but this is not inspiring confidence.

Sweet! I haven't played in a long time due to backlog stuff but this ARG that we had and the contents of the new update have pumped me up to return to the game when 1.3 launches!

I'm curious to see what else is in the patch. Hopefully there's more variety to the generation so you don't see the same seashell rock on every planet.

I'm excited for this as well. They snuck in new tech with the first update and Sean Murray did mention trying to make rivers work at GDC this year. I'm hopeful for them to at least do something along the lines of the first update.

In before the "too late" and "Sean Murray is a scam artist" comments.

I'm glad I kept my copy and I look forward to jumping back in.

I think creation mode might be better suited to my tastes since I don't want to spend time grinding for materials in my current game.

Seiniyta

the mail in the OP is incomplete. Even though there is a link to the full mail, a lot will probably miss the rest which I think is just as important!

Hello Citizen Scientists,

It's been a year since No Man's Sky first released, and it's been an exciting, intense and emotional year for us at Hello Games. We have been quiet, but we have been listening intently.

We've spent that year working hard on free updates for this game our team cares about so much.

Update 1.3 will release this week and will be available for free to all No Man's Sky players. We're calling it Atlas Rises. It focuses on improving the central story of No Man's Sky and adds the ability to quick travel between locations using portals. Patch notes will be made available shortly before the update goes live.

What we do is much more important than what we say, but since launch we have sometimes focused too much on that.

We wanted to reach out and celebrate the devoted community that means so much to us. We launched Waking Titan to try to do that.

When we posted those cassettes we didn't know what to expect. In the last eight weeks a quarter of a million players from across the globe (174 countries, to be precise!) have come together - united by a shared love of mystery and science fiction - to form the Citizen Science Division. You've travelled great distances both real and virtual, undertaken complex tasks, and explored the depths of simulation theory. New friendships have been forged, and a tight-knit community has been created. Most importantly a cute hamster has a new home.

You've become part of the No Man's Sky origin story.

It's been an honour to watch, but this is just the beginning. Whether you've followed Waking Titan or not, we welcome anyone to sign up to the Citizen Science Division, and to join us on the official CSD forums.

Our journey continues.

Thank you for this year. We hope you enjoy what comes next.

Sean

danthefan

From a business point of view I find it interesting they're still supporting this game, both in updates and that mad ARG that must have cost a fucking fortune to run. It must have legs to some degree but their reputation is so tarnished that surely post launch sales haven't been great.

Basically, where is the return for Hello Games here? I mean it's obviously good that they're supporting the game but just don't see how it makes sense.

daxy

From a business point of view I find it interesting they're still supporting this game, both in updates and that mad ARG that must have cost a fucking fortune to run. It must have legs to some degree but their reputation is so tarnished that surely post launch sales haven't been great.

Basically, where is the return for Hello Games here? I mean it's obviously good that they're supporting the game but just don't see how it makes sense.

Wild guess, but maybe they care about the vision of the game they once had and want to share that with their players.

I'll give it a try once it's free with PSPlus. Also, they should give Pro users the option to play the game at 1080p 60 instead of having to change the console' res everytime.

I think it's pretty rich of them to say "we should show, not tell" right after doing a big ARG that had very little to do with the actual game itself.

But still, I'm willing to give this a shot.

I skipped it at launch when all the demos leading up to release started ringing alarm bells in my head. Turned out I was right to become cautious, but I've been holding out hope they would keep working at it and get it closer to what I (and they) want it to be. The last couple updates certainly looked promising, if not quite there yet.

If this patch turns out well, it may finally be time for me to jump in. I've been dying to play it in it's completed form.

gossi

It was the 5th biggest game franchise launch of 2016 and biggest new franchise launch in PlayStation history, after Uncharted. The last estimate I saw from Retail sales puts them into the hundreds of millions of pounds territory, with ~16 staff.

have they improved the space battles at all? i remember being addicted ot this game for the first few weeks, and then i finally got attacked randomly by some pirates? and just noped out after not being able to hit one enemy.

Gestault

Cool, I'm really hoping this comes together as something fun to play for someone starting fresh. I'm so far out from my original playtime with it that I'm sort of just...not ready to even give it a try.

Now that's edgy.jpeg

Really looking forward to the update, an enhanced story is probably the thing I would most want (except sandworms), especially after the fantastic arg they have done.

It was a really smart move in my opinion, help galvanise your community and get everyone involved in the continuation of the story.

After getting my platinum I didn't go back until recently, the arg made me want to get up to speed and I have been enjoying seeing the difference with base building, vehicles and the changes to resource procedural generation. Just trying to do the missions to get the new blueprints.

Top Bottom