• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales premiere date - Movie 8/12 + Series 9/23

Kyrios

"Still living in that boat?"

"Still a trillionaire?"

Donald with the remarks lmao

Launchpad had me cracking up about whether he could pilot a submarine:

"I crashed a helicopter in a wave pool once, that count?"

Yeah, it's still running on the channel all day.

Yeah Kyrios lol.

I loved how Webby was introduced to the Nephews.

"You will be my friends?"

"Only if you don't kill us...."

She is going to be fun to watch XD! Her dynamic with her mom was well-written too, showing how both will grow across the series. And yeah, Dewey looks to be the 'main' nephew currently, though I'm positive the other ones will get their 'time in spotlight' as the series continues.

I didn't expect that much world building either, but it just showed how tightly written the show currently is.

Yeah. :)

Penguin

Oh didn't share thoughts

Loved this

The art style
The chars
The story
The world

The only thing dislike is it just makes me want the rest of the Disney Afternoon rebooted

Neoxon

Oh didn't share thoughts

Loved this

The art style
The chars
The story
The world

The only thing dislike is it just makes me want the rest of the Disney Afternoon rebooted
We might get Darkwing Duck, so there's that.

Also,
was that Della in that photo at the end of the episode?

Pilgrimzero

Was kind of surprised to hear Gloomgold say he wanted to kill Scrooge (several times). Did old toon Gloomgold ever say that?

Over all I liked it though

RagnarokX

So far this is better than my childhood.

I'd be fascinating to see a Rescue Rangers where they're actually a regular detective agency and "regular" sized. Defeats the purpose of the original (Tiny critters in a Human world) but would fit better in this universe. I mean, Mickey's normal sized.

Same with Talespin.
They mention Cape Suzette, but Talespin was set in a kind of 1930's world.

Them being rather flippant about Cartoon Animals vs real animals weirds me out, but then that's always the Disney way. First thing you see is a regular Seagull here, and apparently the Chubacabra was just a Bear. Baloo would be the same size as it!

Chip and Dale are still tiny when paired with the rest of the Disney cast.

36bi4f6.jpg

They were a common foil to Donald.

Just watched it, it was fucking amazing. Everything I even hoped for when they announced the project, and then some.

This is how you make a reboot of and 80's-90's cartoon series heavy on nostalgia, you get the original spirit that people loved so much and expand it in the right ways. Every series from that era that on rewatch as not as good as when it was released could have a similar facelift and will turn everything amazing.
Not saying original ducktales was bad, by any means, but not everything was great either and every aspect of this new series is much better, webby, beakly and the nephews for example. I have to say also enjoyed more this Glomgold than the copy cat scrooge from the original, the twist of why he is like that makes him a much interesting character, and i feel some real eveilness, even if its comedic, that makes them a real threat. Can wait to see what they do with the beagle boys.
The animation is super great also, lots of fluidity were it needs it, and great to have the original donald duck angry animation in all its glory.

Also absolutely love how much love has been pour to everything, like you can feel how huge fans the people working in the reboot are about the original series AND comics.

And such small details to fit everything into a real expanded universe like Donald having his blue sailor suit like his animated version and how he get his black suit from the comics. Top notch stuff.
A lesser reboot would have left him with his blue one without care of the comics, or just outright make the character dissapear like in the original series.
And still with all this changes it still feels like the ducktales we all love, becuase the spirit is there. becuase it respects its two original sources where it counts and only changes what it could be improved or expanded. Compare that to the absolutely horrendous powerpuff girls reboot. Everytime i see an episode of that I tell myself "where the guys working on this even fans of the original show?"

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
"Still living in that boat?"

"Still a trillionaire?"

Donald with the remarks lmao

Launchpad had me cracking up about whether he could pilot a submarine:

"I crashed a helicopter in a wave pool once, that count?"
Honestly Donald was an improvement here over the original. He was always a total idiot in the original and while Barks always made him a lovable goof he was never a moron. It provided laughs in the original but this Donald is just a straight up improvement. Everyone else is fine and fun, but I’d definitely take this Donald over the original series’ version.

RK128

Honestly Donald was an improvement here over the original. He was always a total idiot in the original and while Barks always made him a lovable goof he was never a moron. It provided laughs in the original but this Donald is just a straight up improvement. Everyone else is fine and fun, but I’d definitely take this Donald over the original series’ version.

I really like this take on Donald too. He clearly is working hard and trying to be a good father figure to the Nephews, but has a hard time keeping his cool when greatly annoyed. I loved his dynamic with Scrooge. You get the impression deep history is between the two of them, more so upon learning how Donald was an adventurer in the past.

I can't wait to see more Donald in this take on Ducktales, as I could easily see him being the stand-out character.

B.K.

I wish they would tone down Donald's voice a little bit. I couldn't understand a thing he said at the end of the second episode.

Choabac

I actually laughed out loud at several points and had a huge grin on my face throughout. This how a reboot is done.

Blues1990

I wish they would tone down Donald's voice a little bit. I couldn't understand a thing he said at the end of the second episode.

Aw, phooey!. This is easily one of the few times when I can easily understand the character, and not dedicate my life to decipher his semi-intelligible speech.

RagnarokX

I didn't expect Cape Suzette and Spoonerville to get namedropped. In addition to being mentioned in the episode, one of the commercials for DuckTales contained an info dump that mentions that St. Canard is across the bay from Duckburg connected via the Audubon Bridge, which is the bridge Darkwing uses as his HQ. So just like the original series.

I think it makes sense for Scrooge to be Darkwing's benefactor.

I prefer this incarnation of Mrs.Beakley over the one from the original series.
I immediately prefer 2/3 of the main set of characters in this version compared to the original. The nephews and Webby are massive improvements to what were originally interchangeable (the nephews) or insufferable stereotype (Webby) characters.

I can understand why people have problems with their adult-sounding voices, but I'll take it over hearing the nephews talk in the quacky Donald-like voice. They already moved away from that a bit in Quack Pack, which was a destitute-man's Goof Troop, but at least tried to give each nephew their own personality. Huey is the responsible Junior Woodchuck, Dewey is the firebrand middle child running headlong into adventure, and Louie is the laidback cool-under-pressure duck.

Oh didn't share thoughts

Loved this

The art style
The chars
The story
The world

My crazy hope is that the new Ducktales is so successful that they find a way to incorporate most of the Disney Afternoon series into its universe. Instead of the MCU, we have the DAU with Darkwing Duck and the characters from Talespin showing up now and again on Ducktales.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I didn't expect Cape Suzette and Spoonerville to get namedropped. In addition to being mentioned in the episode, one of the commercials for DuckTales contained an info dump that mentions that St. Canard is across the bay from Duckburg connected via the Audubon Bridge, which is the bridge Darkwing uses as his HQ. So just like the original series.

I think it makes sense for Scrooge to be Darkwing's benefactor.

Considering that Darkwing is already confirmed for the show, and they're establishing that all these places are in the same world I wouldn't be surprised to see Baloo or Goofy stop by for a "Very Special Episode of Duck Tales." Perhaps Lewie starts smoking or something.

I had a lot of reservations about the show's presentation based on earlier previews but that was one great opening, I'm definitely on board now.

K' Dash

Man that first episode was AMAZING, I love what they did with Webby, the nephews and Beakly instant improvements over the old ones, I'm seriously head over feet for this show already.

Vidiot

Watched it, loved it. The clips had me fearing it would be too wacky but it wasn't. Definitely had heart. I found myself laughing out loud more then a few times. Also after only a few minutes I was fine with the new voices. Can't wait to see the rest of the show. I hope it's a hit.

Man that first episode was AMAZING, I love what they did with Webby, the nephews and Beakly instant improvements over the old ones, I'm seriously head over feet for this show already.

I think someone else mentioned this earlier, but I think the biggest improvement of them all has to be Donald. I dig what they've done with everyone and agree that it's all improvements so far, but this is definitely the best take on Donald Duck that I've ever seen. Way more depth to him than usual, between his "overprotective, loving dad" element with the nephews and his clear history with Scrooge.

You just know that Donald blames Scrooge for whatever happened to Della.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Cape Suzette bros....

I loved EVERYTHING about this reboot! I watched it with my 5 year old daughter and we were both laughing and having a great time. This is a HUGE winner.

Art style is great too.

With this and those great new Mickey Shorts from the last few years I feel like Disney is on a little roll with animation.

Ristifer

I watched this a bunch of times. I adore everything about it at this point. Sucks we have to wait a while for the premiere of the series, but still awesome to get such a terrific first taste.

Any way to watch this if I don't have Disney XD?
I don't have Disney XD as part of my cable package, but I was able to watch it on Xfinity On Demand using the Xfinity Stream app. If you have a cable service with VOD, try searching for Ducktales.

adj_noun

Considering that Darkwing is already confirmed for the show, and they're establishing that all these places are in the same world I wouldn't be surprised to see Baloo or Goofy stop by for a "Very Special Episode of Duck Tales." Perhaps Lewie starts smoking or something.

While my heart still yearns for a Disney Afternoon renaissance proper, the prospect of DuckTales being the de facto home of a shared Disney Afternoon Television Universe is one hell of a consolation prize.

All I ask is please, PLEASE accompany their appearances with takes on their theme songs.

And also iron out those Rescue Rangers rights if possible, because damn.

TDLink

They really need to subtitle Donald. His lines range from easy to understand, doing a double take and then comprehending it, and completely unintelligible unless you're capable of pausing, rewinding, and repeating what he said.

I really like it (and I thought I wouldn´t).

The characters are all improved over the original series.

In some cases, more in line with their early incarnations, like Scrooge. Now he is kind of bitter, old man, like in the early Banks stories. The old show was too soft on him. He has a heart, but also, a lot of self-centering.

While Donald is great now, with a mix of old temper plus a backstory with Scrooge (he is now integral part of Scrooge early adventures, and he is bitter with something Scrooge has done). But part of this persona comes surely from comics, where he is more than just a hot head, specially the Italian comics.

Mrs. Beakley and Webby were created for the first show, and now are much more relatable. Webby specially. Mrs. Beakley like a sort of Scrooge bodyguard, like Bennon of Jonny Quest (which Ducktales now looks a lot...) works really well, more than being just a nanny.

I think the nephews are the biggest improvement, since now they are not interchangeble anymore, with different and clear personalities.

Now the wait for the show to continue...

Top Bottom