• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

oti

Banned
So the Olympics are a net positive to cities in nations that already can handle the infrastructure needed and thus are already tourism and travel central.

No city that isn't already a global travel hub is going to land the Olympics and then be great from then on unless they were already on that path.

The sad conclusion therein is that is doesn't affect anything positively and can only fuck up more destitute regions, and thus gives the world a sad digestible piece of entertainment for a month that eventually just fades out to nothing.

Athens turned the baseball stadium (such a great idea to build a baseball stadium in any nation other than Japan and the US) into a refugee camp. At least that's something.

If the IOC won't reform the games it will just be rich dictators or tyrans trying to better their image who'll be interested in hosting. I'm sure Azerbaijan for instance can't wait to throw their oil money at the games.

Joeku

Athens turned the baseball stadium (such a great idea to build a baseball stadium in any nation other than Japan and the US) into a refugee camp. At least that's something.

If the IOC won't reform the games it will just be rich dictators or tyrans trying to better their image who'll be interested in hosting. I'm sure Azerbaijan for instance can't wait to throw their oil money at the games.

You say that like it's not a net negative on the world's collective conscience.

Cuz it is.

Joeku

The Games stand for piece and unity in fiendly competition. That's what they are.

I agree, that's what they should be.

But the scam underneath has been shining through a lot as of late. Having them set in an obvious human rights-denying oil state will shatter what little respect is left of them. At least Tokyo and LA can handle it pretty much as is.

oti

Banned
I agree, that's what they should be.

But the scam underneath has been shining through a lot as of late. Having them set in an obvious human rights-denying oil state will shatter what little respect is left of them. At least Tokyo and LA can handle it pretty much as is.

I don't want to see the Games hosted by Azerbeijan. But if the IOC body doesn't change, they'll just keep filling up their pockets and killing slave workers who build the stadiums. It's like the FIFA. Way too powerful of an organisation and everyone just looks away.

What I want from the Games is to downscale significantly. It does not need to be the biggest and most expensive event every time. But the Gamnes reflect ther world we live in and that's what the world wants. Bigger, better. Always.

Joeku

I don't want to see the Games hosted by Azerbeijan. But if the IOC body doesn't change, they'll just keep filling up their pockets and killing slave workers who build the stadiums. It's like the FIFA. Way too powerful of an organisation and everyone just looks away.

What I want from the Games is to downscale significantly. It does not need to be the biggest and most expensive event every time. But the Gamnes reflect ther world we live in and that's what the world wants. Bigger, better. Always.

I in no way disagree. I'd rather it be simple, clean, and wholesome. It's supposed to be the best of the world coming together in good sport.

Let's hope it hews as close to that as it can.

I'm playing Hellblade and I like a ton about it, but man the controls are poor. Maybe a controller would work better, but the way you have no camera control during fights is a pain, especially in smaller areas where you can easily get stuck in spots where the game won't let you evade. And the slow movement speed gets a bit obnoxious in certain segments. They don't really do themselves a favor by overloading the early parts of the game with puzzles that kill the pacing either.

BTA

I don't know if watching this Megadate is the best idea when I'm already worked up/anxious over my PSN account lockout.

But jumping + laughing along with them does relieve some tension, so there's that. Some of these games...

Joeku

I'm playing Hellblade and I like a ton about it, but man the controls are poor. Maybe a controller would work better, but the way you have no camera control during fights is a pain, especially in smaller areas where you can easily get stuck in spots where the game won't let you evade. And the slow movement speed gets a bit obnoxious in certain segments. They don't really do themselves a favor by overloading the early parts of the game with puzzles that kill the pacing either.

To the camera in combat, and this is going to maybe sound like bullshit, but the game wants you to be able to get fucked occasionally. You're always locked on to something at least, and I eventually found myself able to time my blocks to back-attacks based on the voice warnings consistently; it was just a matter of getting used to the timing. So...get used to listening to the voice sample saying "...Behind you!"

The puzzles early on are by far the weakest; the later on they get, the more clever and weirder they get too. It improves as the game goes on.

I don't know if watching this Megadate is the best idea when I'm already worked up/anxious over my PSN account lockout.

But jumping + laughing along with them does relieve some tension, so there's that. Some of these games...

I'm sorry about your account, but it can't hurt to relax with the video.

BTA

I'm sorry about your account, but it can't hurt to relax with the video.

I mean, it's more that scary stuff can definitely make me anxious too, despite enjoying it a lot when it's someone like them playing a game or when I'm with friends!

Though, this stuff has cheap enough scares that these aren't properly creeping me out in the way that an unsettling atmosphere and such usually would.

bRvyhBm_d.jpg

Hasney

Abby went to the PROGRESS wrestling show with Dan and Alex in a venue that had double the fire safety capacity, a single urinal and stall, broken AC and a dude who wasn't caught on a dive to the outside and his ankle ended up backwards.

I hear it was a great show still. Wonder if it will lead to a Powerbombcast.

it is that's why they are doing a joke feature with it

I still think that's a bad idea. even I wish they'd shut up during cut scenes at least. it just seems mean-spirited and a waste of time when they could be doing something more than an ironic gimmick feature that seems borderline spiteful.

If you guys could shuffle East/West would you at all? As much as I usually enjoy the longer content from East more I still feel Brad and Jeff just work as a pair. Not to say they aren't great when everyone's together, that's the best, but for as long as there's a split I still like the people where they are over another combination.

even I wish they'd shut up during cut scenes at least.
This is a pet peeve of mine with almost anyone showing a game. Even if it's a more loose style of playing, or a bad game, I'm still going to enjoy it far less if I have no idea what's going on for a 15hr series.

Real Hero

I still think that's a bad idea. even I wish they'd shut up during cut scenes at least. it just seems mean-spirited and a waste of time when they could be doing something more than an ironic gimmick feature that seems borderline spiteful.
I agree, 'feature where we make a point to ignore the game' for an entire play through is a bit much

If they actually keep up with it I think the feature will get better later on. All the "main" games in the series play a lot better than KH1 and are easier to figure out. Given GB's usual performance in games I expect KH1 to be a nightmare for them without a guide. This is before the series decided to hold your hand and make levels really linear.

It's sad that I knew they would make it kind of a joke feature and run a lot of lame bits as soon as I saw they put up Episode 1.

The ๖ۜBronx;246037594 said:
If you guys could shuffle East/West would you at all? As much as I usually enjoy the longer content from East more I still feel Brad and Jeff just work as a pair. Not to say they aren't great when everyone's together, that's the best, but for as long as there's a split I still like the people where they are over another combination.

Thinking about it I probably wouldn't. The dynamic East has going is perfect and you would lose out if you moved any of them. GBW just needs to add another new person to replace the hole left by Drew and Dan. We have Ben but he hasn't been enough to move the needle for me.

Zocano

KH1 has not aged well in the slightest.
KH2 however totally has.
Just don't think too hard about the story.

Having replayed both very recently, I disagree (just finished KH2 FM a handful of days ago).

I still think KH1 is the "better" game but they are both fairly similar in quality. I think KH2 has a bit more fleshed out combat but is watered down by the triangle spammy reaction commands and also the infinite combos that most bosses in 2 have versus 1 which, while having them, isn't as crazy about it. Also KH1 has actual large and somewhat complex levels but KH2 does not at aaaaalll.

Meguro

Banned
Having replayed both very recently, I disagree (just finished KH2 FM a handful of days ago).

I still think KH1 is the "better" game but they are both fairly similar in quality. I think KH2 has a bit more fleshed out combat but is watered down by the triangle spammy reaction commands and also the infinite combos that most bosses in 2 have versus 1 which, while having them, isn't as crazy about it. Also KH1 has actual large and somewhat complex levels but KH2 does not at aaaaalll.

Can't say I agree at all.
The large worlds hurt KH1 because they are incredibly boring. I don't even wanna think about Tarzan in KH1.
KH2's combat is also on a completely different level and spamming reaction commands kinda doesn't work on anything above normal.

hamchan

The ๖ۜBronx;246037594 said:

East is perfect right now. Would not want to risk changing them at all.

Top Bottom