• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Mrbob

I'm guessing it's because of the low volume but just speculation on tax cuts/tax reform flipped the market up today. We'll see if it sticks tomorrow.

Baba still a beast. Starting to wonder if it is even going to come in a bit before it hits 200 dollars a share.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I'm guessing it's because of the low volume but just speculation on tax cuts/tax reform flipped the market up today. We'll see if it sticks tomorrow.

Baba still a beast. Starting to wonder if it is even going to come in a bit before it hits 200 dollars a share.

I will probably add some

on the side note, can someone critic my portfolio. What you guys think

evZ1RZA.png

Maybesew

I will probably add some

on the side note, can someone critic my portfolio. What you guys think

evZ1RZA.png

it's a lot of tech and not very diversified. and by diversified, i mean true diversification and not just "owning a lot of stocks and ETFs"

look at the one year correlations between all of those different symbols and you'd probably be surprised how move they move together. for example emerging markets don't actually move that much differently than s&p 500.

lastly, none of what I said, means what you are doing is wrong. if you like how it's been working, and you want to be heavy in tech, then you are all set. I drastically prefer anyone that takes the time to manager their own money compared to total passive investing

The fuck is going on with snap??? Why that turd has been going up for the last few days...what is going on? 0_o
Young people like it. Positive report this week.

eMarketer released its social-network usage forecast on Tuesday, predicting that Facebook will see its user growth slow in the U.S. and the U.K., with Facebook-owned Instagram and Snapchat expected to grow at a double-digit rate. eMarketer sees Facebook's total monthly users growing by 2.4% this year in the U.S., with Snapchat usage expected to grow by 25.8%.

The split is even more drastic among younger users. eMarketer predicts that Facebook's user base among those aged 12 to 17 years will decline by 3.4% this year, and that Snapchat will overtake both Facebook and Instagram for this age group as well as the 18 to 24 age group this year.

How they are going to turn that into revenue and profit though, beats me.

The thing about Facebook is that the format is perfect for advertising in those timelines. Snapchat (and Instagram) have it more difficult with that.

Maxximo

Young people like it. Positive report this week.

How they are going to turn that into revenue and profit though, beats me.

The thing about Facebook is that the format is perfect for advertising in those timelines. Snapchat (and Instagram) have it more difficult with that.

The last news i followed regarding snap was that the userbase growth was slowing down significantly, that was in late july right before i declared the stock dead to me. Still think it's headed nowhere and like you said if they can't monetize the traffic they have come next earnings it will be a bloodbath.

Mrbob

I wish this market was more volatile. Every day is like a sub 1% move either way. Makes it tough to buy anything. Why I've been scouring for good stocks that are down a decent amount and keeping my eye on Ulta salon. It's down over 25% from it's all time high but earnings are tomorrow and I really dislike buying stocks right before earnings. It's a gamble.

The fuck is going on with snap??? Why that turd has been going up for the last few days...what is going on? 0_o

Short interest was something insane like 60%. Massive covering.

Edit: Is Baba finally going to give in a little bit? We'll see! Speaking of shorts, they are still piling into Baba...

https://amigobulls.com/articles/201...illion-bet-thats-going-horribly-wrong-for-now

This is how a stock goes up if shorts can't break support levels.

Maxximo

I wish this market more volatile. Every day is like a sub 1% move either way. Makes it tough to buy anything. Why I've been scouring for good stocks that are down a decent amount and keeping my eye on Ulta salon. It's down over 25% from it's all time high but earnings are tomorrow and I really dislike buying stocks right before earnings. It's a gamble.

Short interest was something insane like 60%. Massive covering.

Edit: Is Baba finally going to give in a little bit? We'll see! Speaking of shorts, they are still piling into Baba...

https://amigobulls.com/articles/201...illion-bet-thats-going-horribly-wrong-for-now

This is how a stock goes up if shorts can't break support levels.

Now its round 35-40% ... yep that the reason for this surge.

Melon Husk

Eh it's always choppy this time of year. Nasdaq could drop to 5500 and it wouldn't be the end of the world. If you're nervous and feeling exposed, you can always take a month off and then re-assess. I mostly worry about a Chinese debt crisis.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
it's a lot of tech and not very diversified. and by diversified, i mean true diversification and not just "owning a lot of stocks and ETFs"

look at the one year correlations between all of those different symbols and you'd probably be surprised how move they move together. for example emerging markets don't actually move that much differently than s&p 500.

lastly, none of what I said, means what you are doing is wrong. if you like how it's been working, and you want to be heavy in tech, then you are all set. I drastically prefer anyone that takes the time to manager their own money compared to total passive investing

Yes I agree with you, i do have lot of Tech and even with ETF its not diversified much. But I started to slowly buy few Amazon and Goog when they were dropping last month and next thing I know is I have more than I should lol

I am going to sell 50% of both positions. Going to add some airline stock too while they all dropping.

Yes I agree with you, i do have lot of Tech and even with ETF its not diversified much. But I started to slowly buy few Amazon and Goog when they were dropping last month and next thing I know is I have more than I should lol

I am going to sell 50% of both positions. Going to add some airline stock too while they all dropping.
I'd probably move to a few less ETFs also. For example, you have S&P500, US Total Market and All World, which is probably like 50% US market also. Tons of overlap there. And then Berkshire, which overlaps a lot also I think with the S&P and the individual stocks you have.

Personally I have 3 ETFs. One for Europe high dividend, one S&P500, one All World.

Seeing where the market is going today. German car makers up. Will Daimler finally start a growth back to €70+...

Maxximo

Damn JD up with more or less everything else...tomorrow maybe with the Jackson Hole meeting i can hope to see some volatility and a better entry point. It's a bit reduntant already owning BABA but I think they are different enough to have enough space in the market.

Edit: awesome result for ULTA!

Mrbob

Ulta Salon stock high was 247 today and low 208 after hours. Now back to mid 220s. I stayed clear before earnings but they seemed good. If it stays in the 220s or drops on open tomorrow I think I'm grabbing some stock. Gotta wait for the full earnings call first.

Maybe I'm crazy but this doesn't seem like a stock that should be selling off after hours some more after it has gone down 25%.

https://www.streetinsider.com/Earni...S+by+5c,+Guides+Roughly+In-Line/13236001.html

Well if it keeps going down I like it more as a buying opportunity. I'm guessing the dip has to do with the guidance.

That Nvidia dividend though. I'm going to be rich. Just received my $2

Dat dividend yield: 0.34%

Wonder when they start raising it.

Dat dividend yield: 0.34%

Wonder when they start raising it.
Don't think investors will really call for it. It's a growth stock for now, not really expecting a lot of dividend returns. But it's funny how those tiny amounts show up sometime with dividends if you only hold a few stocks.

Amazon arrived. Retail died.

I'm finally out of COST. I've faithfully held it for over 5 years and it's given me jack shit in terms of returns. Fortunately it was a small stake so I didn't feel bad about kicking it to the curb after all these years.

Damn, Amazon. My Ahold stock dropping over 4% this morning because everyone is afraid... If it dips again at the US open I might buy a little, because this reaction seems a bit much.

Maxximo

Damn, Amazon. My Ahold stock dropping over 4% this morning because everyone is afraid... If it dips again at the US open I might buy a little, because this reaction seems a bit much.

Yeah especially for groceries i don't think that even considering the whole foods deal this level of panic is justified.

Maxximo

What do you guys think about ATVI?

Seems like a no brainer to me with Destiny 2 coming out and a P/E that for the sector is not that high. Also COD...

Seems like a no brainer to me with Destiny 2 coming out and a P/E that for the sector is not that high. Also COD...
COD is on a downwards trend. Might break it this year with WW2, but what are they going to do after? But they got Blizzard, Destiny and King of course. So... will those last over the years.

Edit: Ahold down over 7%, unbelievable. Got a few extra. Stopping with buying it now. Last time I had to wait a few months also with this stock, but sold with some profit. See if that happens again. Daimler and Mittal up a bit, softening the blow on my account at least a little.

I wish I had bought ATVI a year ago.

As it is, my primary vidya stock right now is NTDOY and I'm happy with how it has performed this year and I expect big gains going into 2018.

Mrbob

I wonder how long before the Amazon narrative turns.

Companies like Home Depot and Best Buy have figured out how to combat Amazon. Heck Wal Mart with their jet.com acquisition and the Google team up are doing fine. While Baba isn't head to head yet with Amazon it is growing faster than Amazon. I think the Amazon narrative is going to start flipping in the next couple years.

Speaking of Baba, finally hit some resistance at 175 and coming back down slightly today. Time to watch and perhaps jump in soon. Need to see how it consolidates first before the next move up.

Mrbob

I truly believe any drop is due to the big run up Chinese stocks have had. I'm looking at BZUN right now alongside BABA too...that BZUN quarter was really good. They just had a few more expenses and it dropped almost 25%. But the stock ran from 9 to 35 so this is actually a healthy pullback before a next move up.

Oh Boy..

North Korea and Euro give me a headache. Haven't been in the red with my portfolio for pretty long, now it's time.

Any advice or just keep going? ^^

I'll probably overweight MSCI World this month.

Mrbob

I would just watch the market and see what happens. Checking again this morning the futures are still forecasting a less than one percent drop. Now through September is historically a choppy time anyway. With any cash on the sidelines you can add to positions but I'd Wait for a 5% drop first before adding more.

I've been overweight VEA for awhile (Looks similar to MSCI World) as the rest of the International markets historically need to catch up with the USA.

Mrbob

I believe this is the lowest volume week of the year with traders on vacation. Since the situation with NK deescalated pretty quickly, the stock market went back to flat.

Tuesday next week will tell the real tale as this is when the big dogs are back to trade.

bigedole

Does anyone dabble in cryptocurrencies? It's pretty volatile, but seems like potential for big gains is there. Especially as uncertainty about a market crash looms, some investors using bitcoin as kind of a gold replacement.

I put 5k and bought a few different things that looked like there was good potential. Last few days have seen spikes in quite a few different currencies, already made 45% in about 3 weeks.

There is a thread somewhere about cryptocurrencies, don't know if it is that active.

Not a fan myself, too much risk for me. At least with the companies I buy stock from I believe they will be around for a longer time, so if it drops, I can just wait it out. With crypto I would worry too much about it crashing all the time.

Stocks is already a bit of gambling, but crypto is literally just throwing money in it and hoping for the best. At least, that's my opinion, others will think differently of course.

bigedole

No, I totally agree. I'm just dabbling in it, I've been lurking in this thread for many months now as I started trying my hand at investing about a year ago. Cryptocurrencies just came into my radar recently, so was curious if anyone here also dabbles.

I don't put anything there I'm not ok with disappearing. Just hard to ignore the opportunity for massive gains with a little luck. It's like being able to invest in the stock market in the 80s.

Crypto thread is here.

I can't do it. I think those who consider it an "investment" in particular are playing a game they might not understand the dangers of.

Gold is a dangerous hedge already; considering bitcoin one is bonkers to me but whatever, people like to gamble on that stuff.

No, I totally agree. I'm just dabbling in it, I've been lurking in this thread for many months now as I started trying my hand at investing about a year ago. Cryptocurrencies just came into my radar recently, so was curious if anyone here also dabbles.

I don't put anything there I'm not ok with disappearing. Just hard to ignore the opportunity for massive gains with a little luck. It's like being able to invest in the stock market in the 80s.
Well, if you can lose the money without a problem and you think it might get a good return. 5k would be a bit much for me on that. If I go for a stock I deem risky its mostly 1-1.5k.

Crypto thread is here.

I can't do it. I think those who consider it an "investment" in particular are playing a game they might not understand the dangers of.

Gold is a dangerous hedge already; considering bitcoin one is bonkers to me but whatever, people like to gamble on that stuff.
I'm afraid it might be a bubble that is going to pop sometime and a lot of people are going to lose money. With stocks you can then wait for recovery, with crypto it might be the end for a lot of them after a crash.

Plus, you can't really protect yourself with things like a stop loss/limit I think.

And having to go through all these exchanges doesn't add to my trust in getting my money back from them when the thing comes crashing down.

Mrbob

I'd probably dip into cryptocurrency if spdr or vanguard had a fund. GBTC is over valued and doesn't properly follow Bitcoin. You pay too much of a premium for Bitcoin exposure. I have an issue trusting any financial info with coinbase though cryptocurrency does interest me.

dem

Don't usually do penny stocks... but I love my DXTR!

Been fortunate enough to time it a few times. Out at .40 today.

Mrbob

Hope you guys have had some money outside the USA. Developed markets and Emerging markets keep breaking new yearly highs and outpace the US market. They also still have a bunch of catch up too with the US market.

Ecotic

The Russell 2000 has an RSI of 82 on the hourly time frame, and gaps to fill below from the previous two weeks. It's a good shorting opportunity this afternoon.

Hope you guys have had some money outside the USA. Developed markets and Emerging markets keep breaking new yearly highs and outpace the US market. They also still have a bunch of catch up too with the US market.
My best ETF at the moment is Eurostoxx. But might also have to do with the currencies I think, since I'm in Europe.

I'm near my all-time high again because of NVDA's strength. Which means it's time for a drop.
Hope so, will buy a bit more around 150 or so.

Mittal almost in the green. Just a few more cents up next week. After that, hopefully it rises more. Steel had a rough time. And BMW green again. If it gets back above 80 setting a tight stop loss. These German car companies seem to go up and down a few percent every few days.

I do some crypto. I'm about 15k in right now, which has increased in value to about 18k since I started just a couple of weeks ago. Like people said, don't put anything in that you aren't prepared to lose, but honestly, long term I can't see the crypto market disappearing or anything.

I knew about crypto close to 8 years ago. I even had a wallet with 10 BTC in it that I personally mined, but I just thought of it as a joke that would never go anywhere. So the wallet got lost, and now that's close to $50k USD erased, that could be cold hard cash.

Then a couple years later, it was "oh but now it's definitely too high", and then a couple years later it was "now it's DEFINITELY too high". And here we are. I'm done trying to make any assumptions about how high is too high, and now I'm hopping on board the choo choo train.

There's only a limited supply of BTC that can ever exist, mathematically it is not possible to have more than a certain number of BTC ever. Combined with the fact that they get misplaced / lost, it creates scarcity, and scarcity creates value.

I like to think of cryptocurrency as gambling, but where unlike in Vegas, the odds are in your favor. You might still lose in the long run, but at least the odds are on your side.

dno_1966

Well, if you can lose the money without a problem and you think it might get a good return. 5k would be a bit much for me on that. If I go for a stock I deem risky its mostly 1-1.5k.

I'm afraid it might be a bubble that is going to pop sometime and a lot of people are going to lose money. With stocks you can then wait for recovery, with crypto it might be the end for a lot of them after a crash.

Plus, you can't really protect yourself with things like a stop loss/limit I think.

And having to go through all these exchanges doesn't add to my trust in getting my money back from them when the thing comes crashing down.

You can do that.

Makai

I put $100 into Robin Hood as gambling fun, but I don't even know what to get. Paralyzed by rational expectations. I just bought a bunch of cheap junk stocks that I could afford like Twitter and GoPro.

Top Bottom