• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Tunoku

I finally got to try out my Hapatra deck after FNM last night. Sadly I was the first to die because someone got scared of my token engine alongside clamp. It’s also not easy to play a -1/-1 counter deck with two Atraxas in the group.

Favorite play was equiping Dusk Urchin with a clamp and then playing a Channeler Initiate targeting Urchin. Good times.

Supast4r

Thank god that I was able to pick up Rasputin Dreamweaver and Gwendlyn Di Corci to build as commanders before their price hike. They doubled in price for some reason.

Ashodin

How does Pia's Revolution work for you? Was messing around with a B/R artifact deck with Pia's that i'll probably finish sometime this weekend.

Extremely annoying against a control deck trying to stop me from having blocks for Torrential Gearhulk. If they don't want to take the 3 (as usually they'll be low on life) you can block forever until you get the win.

Santiako

DJT3CNJXoAESzVC.jpg

Flying Dino RW
Creature Dinosaur
Flying, Menace
2/2

Real solid uncommon there.

DJT3CNJXoAESzVC.jpg

Flying Dino RW
Creature Dinosaur
Flying, Menace
2/2

Oh hey, a low cost flier that doesn't get its shit kicked in by Giant Spider!

On the subject of the removal of the planeswalker redirection rule, there are two major troublesome effect types for errata.
* Deal damage to a player, then do something to that player.
* Deal damage to all players/opponents.

The way I see it, the first would have to be worded as:
Deal N damage to target player or planeswalker. That player or planeswalker's controller does A.

The second would have to be:
For each player/opponent, deal N damage to that player or a planeswalker that player controls. (This effect is not targeted.)

Both are super awkward, so I think Wizards will try to avoid having to write them out. I highly doubt that they'll make cards that only damage players, because it will be really weird having a new player play against someone with Lightning Bolt who then bolts their planeswalker while the new player's cards can't. If a new card does direct damage to a player, it will always also damage planeswalkers. However, there is a solution for having new cards "damage" players and not planeswalkers: life loss. Red doesn't get life loss currently purely for flavor reasons, but I think we'll start seeing it more in new cards of the above types.

New Blightning - 1BR
Sorcery
Target player loses 3 life and discards two cards.

New Earthquake - XR
Sorcery
New Earthquake deals X damage to each creature without flying. Each player loses X life.

On the subject of the removal of the planeswalker redirection rule, there are two major troublesome effect types for errata.

I don't think the former is really a challenge -- the equivalent template already exists on cards that care about players or creatures like Acorn Catapult or Chain Lightning.

The latter is the category that I think will just see a big functional change and these cards won't be able to kill PWs anymore.

kirblar

I don't think the former is really a challenge -- the equivalent template already exists on cards that care about players or creatures like Acorn Catapult or Chain Lightning.

The latter is the category that I think will just see a big functional change and these cards won't be able to kill PWs anymore.
They already started printing those sorts of effects w/ PW riders (BOTG had one.)

DrArchon

Flying Dino RW
Creature Dinosaur
Flying, Menace
2/2

For sure. Might as well be unblockable because who wants to throw up two creatures to block a 2 drop when they could be blocking literally anything else. Very good for the cost.

Makes me wish that the new RW planeswalker was more aggressive. Fast dinos look so much more interesting than slow ones.

Firemind

Wait, there are only the ten shocklands and five allied cycle lands in Modern cube? And there are no enemy manlands? What's even the point of enemy colour pairings? Fetches are almost useless.

I don't think changing the redirect rule is worth all this baggage.

Wouldn't it be possible to make the redirect rule only count for spells printed before set xyz, or when they don't reference PWs?

If I have Hive Mind out on my field and cast Glorious End, would one of my opponent's copy exile my copy and not cause a lose the game trigger at the end of my end step?

Poppy

If I have Hive Mind out on my field and cast Glorious End, would one of my opponent's copy exile my copy and not cause a lose the game trigger at the end of my end step?

i believe so, their glorious end will resolve first off of the hive mind trigger and exile yours from the stack

It's become much cheaper to make with wastes being a thing. Some of the colorless lands were getting expensive.

I should look into putting one together. It now even has a pretty decent win con with infinite mana from rings of brighthearth and basalt monolith plus walking ballista.

Not to mention all the colourless land ramp Ixalan is introducing. I need a Kozilek the Great Distortion for my Mairsil deck as well.

I don't think changing the redirect rule is worth all this baggage.

It's literally the single biggest unintuitive hiccup in the current rules, where cards do something that is just completely different from what they say they do.

They already started printing those sorts of effects w/ PW riders (BOTG had one.)

I meant specifically the "that planeswalker's controller" thing which I don't believe they've done specifically yet.

It's literally the single biggest unintuitive hiccup in the current rules, where cards do something that is just completely different from what they say they do.
Errataing thousands of cards isn't really a solution to that considering there's not gonna be any iteration saying the new text for all of them any time soon.
I meant specifically the "that planeswalker's controller" thing which I don't believe they've done specifically yet.
Kinda

Errataing thousands of cards isn't really a solution to that considering there's not gonna be any iteration saying the new text for all of them any time soon.

It's awkward for sure, but having all Standard and Limited cards (after a certain point) say the right stuff and all cards' Oracle wordings will still be a big improvement in the long run.

Triggered abilities that damage a player are another problem. Eidolon of the Great Revel and Guttersnipe will no longer be able to handle Planeswalkers without a hoop-jumping errata change.

It's awkward for sure, but having all Standard and Limited cards (after a certain point) say the right stuff and all cards' Oracle wordings will still be a big improvement in the long run.
It's a marginal improvement as any substantial change in function would be bad.

I wish they'd errata all ghostly prison effects at the same time

Top Bottom