• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 2 |OT| Remember the L-amo? Liberty sure does.

Saw this on Twitter and thought it would come in handy.

83uvBrY.jpg

The fact this isn't a 5x5 board triggers me. And they had the audacity to still put the free space in, even though it's not centered. UGH

Those all seem rather tame, by Meltdown standards-especially the Ohio State ones.

From Urban's presser today:

The Buckeyes are "somewhere between pissed and moving forward" in the process of dealing with Saturday's loss emotionally.

Ohio State would like to get the other quarterbacks some playing time when the opportunity presents itself, but Meyer says that opportunity hasn't presented itself yet.

The players who gives the team the best chance to win will play, regardless of position – quarterback, right guard, etc.

Ideally, Ohio State's running backs should see 25-30 carries per game. The running backs only had 16 carries on Saturday. "That's not enough."

Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson will "continue to have the opportunity" to "enhance" Ohio State's offense.

Pk4hq8q.gif

Lol at Mayfield apologizing. For what?

What is it with this country and our odd respect for symbols that don't ultimately mean anything? It's a football game lmao not like he permanently defaced school property.

Oh hey another game where the RBs are slashing the defense and stop getting carries and we lose. And urban coming out saying they needed more.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Saw this on Twitter and thought it would come in handy.

83uvBrY.jpg

I'm pretty sure its bingo on the bottom row. I didn't see the whole game, but most usually do have a blown call or 2.

Went to OT, it was Sunday in EST, CST and MST, and they for sure went on for a minute talking about how Leach likes Game of Thrones, to the point that the 2 announcers gave their thoughts of who would wind up on the Iron Throne.

Lol at Mayfield apologizing. For what?

Long story short: Apparently Mayfield was pissed that we sang our "fight song" after winning in Norman last year, when in reality the team sang our alma mater, which is about as upbeat and celebratory as a funeral dirge. (Which also the team does after every single game, win or lose, for nearly two decades now.)

So in response on Saturday, he pulled the stunt with the flag in the middle of the O on the Ohio Stadium field.

My reaction was that if you don't want a known dong like Baker Mayfield to "disrespect" your field, you kick the crap out of him and send him out of the stadium with his tail between his legs. Problem solved before it's even a problem.

It was basically just an excuse for OSU fans to piss and moan about something.

andycapps

Long story short: Apparently Mayfield was pissed that we sang our "fight song" after winning in Norman last year, when in reality the team sang our alma mater, which is about as upbeat and celebratory as a funeral dirge. (Which also the team does after every single game, win or lose, for nearly two decades now.)

So in response on Saturday, he pulled the stunt with the flag in the middle of the O on the Ohio Stadium field.

My reaction was that if you don't want a known dong like Baker Mayfield to "disrespect" your field, you kick the crap out of him and send him out of the stadium with his tail between his legs. Problem solved before it's even a problem.

Wait a second. Who are you again? ;p

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
We might need a new OSUn guy on the podcast, the current one is doing the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas thing, and we haven't heard from him in hours.

I really do identify with this entry from the Meltdown:

I don't like seeing my alma mater lose, but I do enjoy the temporary humility it brings our asshole fan base.

Honestly I'm just kind of numb to college football right now (which is fairly easy when the Indians are kicking ass), and I'm not particularly shocked because the Urban era at OSU is following basically the same trajectory as his tenure at Florida, which has always been my fear of how this would all go.

I've never thought the program should count on Urban as a long-term coach because he's an unreliable headcase. And fundamentally, he's a sprinter, not a marathon runner like Saban. He'll have a handful of awesome seasons, he'll lose a bunch of great assistants to HC jobs, and then putter out until he "retires."

I'm thankful we got an MNC before it all went to shit, but I'm not shocked at our current state.

andycapps

@govols247 said:
Butch: Our DL is always a yard off the line of scrimmage, or almost a yard. People are just looking for that for some reason now.

Hmm I guess that they lined up incorrectly on this play, according to their philosophy.

1JQLhJ0.png

bucknuticus said:
8 yard drinks down and no signs of stopping!

Already drunj?

I think it's sad that there are still Hawkeye fans on Reddit wanting to get rid of the Iowa State game.
Of course there are:
  • It screws with our non-conference schedule because we're nowhere near a good enough program to schedule two P5 teams, so we always end up with a FCS, a G5 that sucks enough that they can't demand a home and home, and ISU. Please be excited.
  • It's a lose-lose scenario. We lost votes in both polls for winning this weekend (not that I can argue too much, Iowa deserved to lose that game.)
  • Despite the good game this weekend, it usually lives down to the El Assico moniker.
  • The "team out west/east" hate is forced. ISU is a great university with a mid-G5 tier athletic program, Iowa is an eminently beatable mid-tier P5 program. Neither are Voldemort. ISU is like Rutgers, except we're not allowed to forget about you when you leave the room.

I don't understand why anyone cares that he planted a flag. It's a flag lol

I don't understand why anyone cares that he planted a flag. It's a flag lol

Honestly it's mainly because OSU fans want something external to complain about because the internal problems with the program are such a shitshow right now. People just want a distraction.

And technically he didn't even "plant" it because it fell right over. Just looked like kind of a dumbass to me. Hardly worth wasting one's energy over when the program is such a mess right now.

andycapps

Honestly it's mainly because OSU fans want something external to complain about because the internal problems with the program are such a shitshow right now. People just want a distraction.

And technically he didn't even "plant" it because it fell right over. Just looked like kind of a dumbass to me. Hardly worth wasting one's energy over when the program is such a mess right now.
Has OSU entered the tailspin phase of the Meyer tenure?

Hard to say before the season has played out fully, but we're certainly getting there.

Granted, a "tailspin" for OSU is like a four-loss season. Because we're fucking spoiled.

That ain't spoiled. Alabama fans would think we're in a tailspin if we'd missed the playoffs one year and gotten shut out in the semis the very next.

Also worth noting that OU plants the flag at midfield in the Cotton Bowl every year if they beat Texas, so this wasn't something invented for this game.

Too bad that such a big deal was made out of it on social media. I think people get a little too touchy about this stuff. If you don't want the other team celebrating on your field, don't get your ass beat. Same goes for Mayfield complaining about OSU singing and trash talking the fans after the game in Norman last year. To the victor goes the spoils.

I couldn't give two shits about Mayfield doing what he did. They won...handily you do you big fella. What I do give a shit about is J.T. Barrett still being the fucking QB. I love the guy, and truly appreciate what he has done while he has been there, but it's time to move on. Also take Zach Smith with you please and thank you.

andycapps

Hard to say before the season has played out fully, but we're certainly getting there.

Granted, a "tailspin" for OSU is like a four-loss season. Because we're fucking spoiled.
Well a four loss season is bad if those are the only good teams on your schedule.

But it would be fun to see OSU fans lose their shit if/when OSU struggles against Army's triple option this weekend. A demoralizing home loss followed by having to prepare for that. What could go wrong?

I couldn't give two shits about Mayfield doing what he did. They won...handily you do you big fella. What I do give a shit about is J.T. Barrett still being the fucking QB. I love the guy, and truly appreciate what he has done while he has been there, but it's time to move on. Also take Zach Smith with you please and thank you.

JT's QBR on Saturday was 21.1

damn he broke

Karl2177

Of course there are:
  • It screws with our non-conference schedule because we're nowhere near a good enough program to schedule two P5 teams, so we always end up with a FCS, a G5 that sucks enough that they can't demand a home and home, and ISU. Please be excited.
  • It's a lose-lose scenario. We lost votes in both polls for winning this weekend (not that I can argue too much, Iowa deserved to lose that game.)
  • Despite the good game this weekend, it usually lives down to the El Assico moniker.
  • The "team out west/east" hate is forced. ISU is a great university with a mid-G5 tier athletic program, Iowa is an eminently beatable mid-tier P5 program. Neither are Voldemort. ISU is like Rutgers, except we're not allowed to forget about you when you leave the room.

1. Iowa's non-conference in 2015 included Iowa State and Pitt, 2 power 5 programs. Even if they kept Iowa State, you can still have another home/away with another P5 program as long as when Iowa State is away, P5 opponent is home. Then you can have your shitty G5 program(or maybe even schedule another decent team, it's not like it would be the end of the Iowa football program) as a home game. Besides, if Iowa State is mid-G5 tier like you say, there should be no problem scheduling another P5 program every year.
2. Iowa lost votes partially because the game went to overtime, but also because other high ranked teams lost and coaches thought they were still better than Iowa, which would pull their votes from Iowa. Besides, polls have no meaning until there's enough games to played to get an accurate picture of a team. Giving Baylor a rank of #7 in week 8 because they are 6-0 means a whole lotta nothing when they finish 6-6.
3. 2016 was the worst game in the series since Ferentz got there. Even if most years it's competition by attrition, it's better than the blowout games of playing San Jose State or North Texas.
4. Is it though? Iowa players ran to trophy like it mattered. If it's so forced, they would have just went back to the locker room. Both coaches after the game talked about how it's important to them and to the players. Campbell has been here 2 years and he even talks about how big it is.

To me it sucks because we live in a world where conference realignment takes away great rivalries like Texas/A&M, OU/Nebraska, Backyard Brawl, and the Border War, while you have a group of fans that willingly want to get rid of another one just so their specific team can be taken more seriously by Colin Cowherd and the ESPN talking heads. Look at how this past week was for the state as a whole. RVTV went around the state and got people going to a bunch of local businesses. Workplaces on Friday took a small break to celebrate the game beforehand. All of those good things and people want to piddle it away so people think Iowa is better than they probably are.

Top Bottom