• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

GOG has been freaking killing it lately.

Tonight, I came across a review of Hellblade: Sesuna's Sacrifice. I'd never heard of the game before, but it looked really good, and so I began to think about picking it up. This was accompanied by an internal groan over the fact that I'd of course need to use Steam.

Nope! It's on GoG! This is the first time I've actually found out about a AAA game, and then learned that it was available on GoG, as opposed to the other way around. It's funny... it feels like more and more indies are eschewing DRM-Free releases these days, but GoG is getting increasingly large numbers of AAA's on board.

Massive kudos to them.

I know I was just praising them but...

The above installer includes GOG Galaxy client for the full experience and the best support of all features for the game, including: auto-updates, achievements, cloud saves, overlay.

GOG, cut it out! Now I have to redownload the whole game because I didn't read the small bit of fine print. This shouldn't be the default—it's confusing as heck. Anyone who actually wants GOG Galaxy will have clicked the giant blue "TRY GOG GALAXY" link.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

GOG, cut it out! Now I have to redownload the whole game because I didn't read the small bit of fine print. This shouldn't be the default—it's confusing as heck. Anyone who actually wants GOG Galaxy will have clicked the giant blue "TRY GOG GALAXY" link.

Isn't there an option you can uncheck in the installer so it doesn't install GOG Galaxy?

Isn't there an option you can uncheck in the installer so it doesn't install GOG Galaxy?

There is, but it's (purposefully?) hidden inside the options menu. If you forget to specifically go looking for it, whoops, Galaxy gets installed. It's sleezy as heck.

I'm redownloading the whole game so I can backup "clean" copies. I shouldn't have to. And by the way, GoG forgets that you selected the classic installer option every single time you reload the page.

MrFortyFive

There was a big to-do a few months ago about that. They had originally planned to include it in all the installers with a pre-checked opt-in during the installation process. I guess this is what they ended up going with after all the blowback. It's annoying but at least you can still get "clean" installers.

There is, but it's (purposefully?) hidden inside the options menu. If you forget to specifically go looking for it, whoops, Galaxy gets installed. It's sleezy as heck.

I'm redownloading the whole game so I can backup "clean" copies. I shouldn't have to. And by the way, GoG forgets that you selected the classic installer option every single time you reload the page.

gog galaxy is good to manage games.

There was a big to-do a few months ago about that. They had originally planned to include it in all the installers with a pre-checked opt-in during the installation process. I guess this is what they ended up going with after all the blowback. It's annoying but at least you can still get "clean" installers.

Yeah, I spent some time yesterday looking through their forum. I mean it's better than that alternative but if I've ever seen UI that's intended to trick users, this is it.

The fact that you're automatically opted in isn't even what bothers me most. It's the fact that you have to manually find the hidden button every single time you go to (re)download a game. There should be an account-wide checkbox at the absolute least.

I might make a bigger topic about this during the weekend. Maybe it will even get Gog's attention, since they seem to be ignoring their own forum.

I just want so badly to be able to cheer for GOG, and they're making it really hard. :(

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
I might make a bigger topic about this during the weekend. Maybe it will even get Gog's attention, since they seem to be ignoring their own forum.

I just want so badly to be able to cheer for GOG, and they're making it really hard. :(
You have my sword. I would have made a thread about this a week ago when I first encountered the issue if I could.
gog galaxy is good to manage games.
Clients are bloatware, as far as I am concerned. Windows Explorer is all I need to manage my library of DRM-free content. GOG not requiring me to put up with a client is a huge selling point for me. It's extremely alienating to see them push Galaxy this aggressively.

MrFortyFive

Yeah, I spent some time yesterday looking through their forum. I mean it's better than that alternative but if I've ever seen UI that's intended to trick users, this is it.

The fact that you're automatically opted in isn't even what bothers me most. It's the fact that you have to manually find the hidden button every single time you go to (re)download a game. There should be an account-wide checkbox at the absolute least.

I definitely agree about the account-wide checkbox, and that it's shitty how it's clearly intended to trick users. I don't know if you saw it when you were on the forums, but here's the original topic about their change to the installers. It definitely got their attention.

Not that I would discourage you from bringing it to their attention again. You definitely have my support on that.

Coreda

So scanning the thread link above it sounds like they now release two different installer versions: a 'Classic' installer and a 'GOG Galaxy' one, but the site doesn't save the user's preference. Really strange, given they already advertise Galaxy on GOG.com pages and when you buy a game (IIRC). Seems this could be a test transition period to see how well it goes down with long-timers before making all the installers opt-in to a Galaxy install by default.

Users will still be buying from the GOG web store whether in the client or in a browser, so not sure why they went down this path. Apart from easier updating (which always uses a separate build of the games) the Galaxy client really doesn't offer much. Now it has cloud saving I suppose but it's still fairly lean. I believe the only thing it's truly required for is multiplayer for some games (like Gwent, IIRC).

At least the new installer still has an opt-out from what people are saying. Eventually I'd imagine that will be the only standalone version available. Seems overly complex to have two installers for the same game with only a single difference. Problem with that is the user would need to find the option every single time to uncheck it, since it's not as though the system would store your preference.

Danny Dudekisser

Doom 3 is kinda cool - I'll get that at some point. Quake 4 has always been boring as shit. Would've liked Wolfenstein 2009 instead.

Danny Dudekisser

What was the deal with Wolfenstein 2009 getting pulled from sale?

Quake 4 is bringing me back to the early 360 days.

I think the issue was just the transition from Activision to Bethesda as the publisher for Wolfenstein. But I don't think there's any real reason they can't sell the game anymore.

MrFortyFive

What's up that would get them removed? I don't really understand anything relatively modern (here 2014) getting taken down.

There's no consensus or official news, but the thinking is that Windforge is buggy and abandoned and the dev has folded, so GOG is pulling it. No idea on Schein.

Persona7

Banned
I think the issue was just the transition from Activision to Bethesda as the publisher for Wolfenstein. But I don't think there's any real reason they can't sell the game anymore.

These licensing deals with companies folding, losing rights and lack of foresight are really going to suck in the future.

Windforge and Schein are being removed from GOG on August 31. They're 75% off so now's the time to buy if anyone's interested.

Sure, why not. I got some credit and nothing else to buy for now.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah, preorders are up. Naturally, I bought it.

I am a little surprised they're going with a full $60 price point, but it's not like that was going to stop me. Hope the game does well on GOG, because this is a great opportunity to demonstrate that there's a strong additional revenue opportunity for Japanese games in publishing on GOG in addition to Steam.

Tizoc

Yeah, preorders are up. Naturally, I bought it.

I am a little surprised they're going with a full $60 price point, but it's not like that was going to stop me. Hope the game does well on GOG, because this is a great opportunity to demonstrate that there's a strong additional revenue opportunity for Japanese games in publishing on GOG in addition to Steam.

GOG should really work with pubs and devs to get updates to games as fast as Steam.

Tizoc

So in a recent e-mail to backers, the team were planning on getting the game made available DRM-free, but the game didn't pass certification.
I take from this taht they wanted the game to release on GOG, but were turned down.

That is a surprise, that game is forgotten and somewhat rare. Makes me wish Silent Hill was on gog. Hopefully the Batman Arkham games come too.

Tizoc

I am beset by a dilemma:
I wanna support NISA by grabbing Ys 8 off GOG, but I can get the game a little cheaper via Humble AND get back some credit to use for future purchases @o@
Decisions decisions...

Danny Dudekisser

I am beset by a dilemma:
I wanna support NISA by grabbing Ys 8 off GOG, but I can get the game a little cheaper via Humble AND get back some credit to use for future purchases @o@
Decisions decisions...

Brah, y'all gotta support GOG actually getting something good like this.

Tizoc

Crom in Valhalla, bought from GOG.
LET THE BATTLE BE JOINED!
RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSK!

MrFortyFive

I am beset by a dilemma:
Decisions decisions...

Brah, y'all gotta support GOG actually getting something good like this.

I'm sort of facing the same dilemma. I want the game and want to support the release, but $60 is a steep price tag.

Edit: Fuck it I bought it. Here's hoping the PC port is in an acceptable state at launch.

Tizoc

Seems the PC ver. of Ys 8 got delayed by NISA in order to do some further tweaking to the performance. I'm still keeping my GOG pre-order and am glad NISA are taking this seriously :)

Hopefully this'll mean we get DanganRonpa on GOG down the line.
Starting with V3 and it's MRM, upupupupupupupupupupu.

Top Bottom