• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Lanrutcon

So Swen Vincke has semi-confirmed the release time on Twitter.

3cd17b5500d0d254c1e155f00de28ba4.png

Swen, don't toy with me.

Fou-Lu

I don't know if this works lore wise, but my best friend and I have decided our characters are going to be an Elf and his undead ancestor.

can someone please tell me if i can add the flesh eater skill or whatever to my custom dwarf character

There is a mask in the game that lets you temporarily take on skills/appearance of another race. Once you get it your dwarf will be able to impersonate an elf, including their ability to eat flesh =)

No word on if the mask has infinite uses or requires some other resource to work but we do know everyone gets access to it (even though it belongs to Fane)

Ah, finally! Subscribed because I KNOW there will be moments I'm stuck on quest :) Anyway, quick question to people with early access - are the combat animations still so slow or did they speed them up a bit?

Animations and combat in general feel a bit more fluid, but I would not say it is significantly faster or smoother than the first game in my opinion.

Gothos

Ah, finally! Subscribed because I KNOW there will be moments I'm stuck on quest :) Anyway, quick question to people with early access - are the combat animations still so slow or did they speed them up a bit?

If you meet and take an origin story character onto your party will you get as much individual plot from them as you would if you'd taken them as your main character? Want to see the Avalone content but I'm not sure if I want the tall undead guy to be my primary character.

Do npcs still tell companions oh I must speak to your master as in the first?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man I'm hyping myself up at the wiki page. I'm feeling the pull of making a summoner. I'm going undead so I'll probably take some Geomancy too for the poison/heals.

Most my friends dont like rpgs, is this fine for soloing? I know I can play online too but like if I ignore some of that is am I missing a main feature?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Most my friends dont like rpgs, is this fine for soloing? I know I can play online too but like if I ignore some of that is am I missing a main feature?

It's primarily a solo game, multiplayer is just a bonus.

If you meet and take an origin story character onto your party will you get as much individual plot from them as you would if you'd taken them as your main character? Want to see the Avalone content but I'm not sure if I want the tall undead guy to be my primary character.

Do npcs still tell companions oh I must speak to your master as in the first?

The way it works is if you make your own character and then choose to take an Origin character along, you'll still get to experience their "story" as long as they're in your party. When it comes to dialogue you'll get a choice of something like:

[Strength] *say you'll crush him*
[Wits] *say you'll outsmart him*
*say you don't want to fight him*
[Sebille] *text here about what she wants to do/say*

That's just a made-up example, but as long as the Origin character is in your party, you'll get thair nametag appear in dialogue. Of course, the choices you make for them may cause friction with other party members and they may even leave you as a result.

do we know yet if its an entirely different download or if we can download the early access now and it just gets patched later?

Edit: Just in terms of downloading the game, I know the save file is not useable

Doc_Drop

The way it works is if you make your own character and then choose to take an Origin character along, you'll still get to experience their "story" as long as they're in your party. When it comes to dialogue you'll get a choice of something like:

[Strength] *say you'll crush him*
[Wits] *say you'll outsmart him*
*say you don't want to fight him*
[Sebille] *text here about what she wants to do/say*

That's just a made-up example, but as long as the Origin character is in your party, you'll get thair nametag appear in dialogue. Of course, the choices you make for them may cause friction with other party members and they may even leave you as a result.
Excellent

Arulan

So what is everyone doing for their first campaign? Solo or co-op? Origin or custom character? Pet pal or pet pal?

Doc_Drop

So what is everyone doing for their first campaign? Solo or co-op? Origin or custom character? Pet pal or pet pal?
Custom and solo, I'd like to not feel the necessity for pet pal but it's inevitable. I want one way of speaking to the dead and I'm also toying with an undead pc but not sure about the ramifications of that choice

Ryzaki009

Custom and solo, I'd like to not feel the necessity for pet pal but it's inevitable. I want one way of speaking to the dead and I'm also toying with an undead pc but not sure about the ramifications of that choice

If you pick up Ifan it's not necessary. He starts with Pet Pal.

Anoregon

Unofficial embargo: non of the reviewers want to stop playing long enough to write a review.

"game's good, leave me alone"

Definitely undead, but not sure if I'm going custom or origin (Fane seems cool but I might want to be something other than Human-undead)

Can't wait to dig into more Divinity with my partner. We played Original Sin entirely in local co-op (with 2 PC's) which was bloody amazing. Can't believe it's finally here!

If you pick up Ifan it's not necessary. He starts with Pet Pal.
Nice, thank you

This isn't actually correct. He starts with whatever talent the class presets you choose has(or whatever you pick if you start as him). His default class is Wayfarer, which does have Pet Pal, but if you pick another preset, or if you choose to play as Ifan and change it as the start, he doesn't. At least on EA. He only has the 2 usual human talents, Thrifty(+1 bartering) and Ingenuous(+1 wits and some crit or whatever), then one talent you can pick at the start which is determined by preset or by what you pick in the char creation.

epmode

With the split-screen co-op, could this be played with four players/four controllers?

Not all on the same computer. There's simply too much UI shit for the game to be playable with four windows, not to mention the performance issues.

You can have two players on one computer and two more on another. I believe they have to be online for this to work, not sure if LAN play is supported.

No, split only handles 2 players. But local co-op still mixes with online co-op, so you can get other people in on another system.

Not all on the same computer. There's simply too much UI shit for the game to be playable with four windows, not to mention the performance issues.

You can have two players on one computer and two more on another. I believe they have to be online for this to work, not sure if LAN play is supported.

Didn't even think of that. That'll totally work. Thanks :)

bbd23

my 4 stack is ready

the early access was amazing. if the full game is just as good this is most likely going to be my GOTY.

Artdayne

This isn't actually correct. He starts with whatever talent the class presets you choose has(or whatever you pick if you start as him). His default class is Wayfarer, which does have Pet Pal, but if you pick another preset, or if you choose to play as Ifan and change it as the start, he doesn't. At least on EA. He only has the 2 usual human talents, Thrifty(+1 bartering) and Ingenuous(+1 wits and some crit or whatever), then one talent you can pick at the start which is determined by preset or by what you pick in the char creation.

I'm playing Ifan as a Wizard right now and he still has pet pal. I think he always has it.

So I have the first Original Sin, but I haven't played it. How important is it to play through that game before playing this one?

Definitely want to get this, DM mode is calling me.

Anoregon

So I have the first Original Sin, but I haven't played it. How important is it to play through that game before playing this one?

Definitely want to get this, DM mode is calling me.

From a story perspective, not important at all. The games are separated by hundreds of years.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
6700hq with 960m (4GB) runs at a locked 30fps with everything maxed out at 1080. Uncapped, it's around 35-45 with same settings. You can almost reach 60fps with lower resolution and low settings, but I loses considerably.

Good to hear. I'm happy with 30fps for a game like this.

Fou-Lu

Do DM mode created adventures require a DM, or could it result in fully playable DMless modules made by other players?

Anyone have a good link for a more in depth plot summary for Divine Divinity? I hear this game references someone called The Divine and Lucian, so would really love to read more about that but Wikipedia just give more of the broad strokes. Thanks :)

Going to buy the game in a bit. Sadly didn't have a chance to play DOS1 but really want to jump in with 2 as the origin story idea is super compelling and still have decided whether I'm going to pick one to main or go custom. Choices, choices, choices.

Not to mention Swen has such an infectious personality. Seems like a great guy going from the Kickstarter updates.

Needs a DM. The DM is legitimately DMing the game. It's a much different experience than the main game.

There are, I believe, custom campaigns that a group can run on their own without a DM like the modules of NWN. It just also has a DM mode where the DM can edit things on the fly and controls the enemies.

edit:
Are there romance options in this game? If so, even as Undead?

You can marry an undead princess in Dragon Commander (another Divinity series game), I would guess yes?

I'm playing Ifan as a Wizard right now and he still has pet pal. I think he always has it.

My bad, it seems I wasn't entirely correct either.

Hmm seems like a bug. If you pick Ifan on char selection, you don't get Pet Pal(unless obviously you pick it, or Wayfarer). If you recruit Ifan, you do get Pet Pal for free, but if you recruit him as a Wayfarer, you effectively lose 1 talent point as he starts with the human talents+Pet Pal, while other presets will give you Pet Pal+human talents+whatever the preset has. Doesn't seem to do that with other companions, so probably a bug that he has Pet Pal in some cases and I assume it'll be fixed.

Adnor

Banned
Anyone have a good link for a more in depth plot summary for Divine Divinity? I hear this game references someone called The Divine and Lucian, so would really love to read more about that but Wikipedia just give more of the broad strokes. Thanks :)

Going to buy the game in a bit. Sadly didn't have a chance to play DOS1 but really want to jump in with 2 as the origin story idea is super compelling and still have decided whether I'm going to pick one to main or go custom. Choices, choices, choices.

Not to mention Swen has such an infectious personality. Seems like a great guy going from the Kickstarter updates.
If you have the time to read, Lparchive has a good written let's play of the game:

https://lparchive.org/Divine-Divinity/

It's pretty long tho

Top Bottom