• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Edition (JP) |OT| The World is not enough

KdylanR92

Hit 80 hours in the game today and still haven't finished all the village quest and haven't even touched online quests.

By the time I hit HR8 everyone in discord gonna be in the 100's lol.

Hybris

Started this the other day, and it's the first MonHan I've put a whole lotta time into. Just about done with 2-star village quests and have been doing some online co-op hunts with a friend. Really really enjoying it. I feel like I finally get it. I started with dual blades but have been experimenting with the Switch Axe, Long Sword (?) and the Sword and Shield. I still think I like the DB best because of the speed, but I wish I had a little more range. Is there a quick-ish longer ranged weapon I should be trying? The SA is really cool but the combos are too hard for me to get my head around at the moment.

Unfortunately, I picked a dude and have decided I hate his stupid face. Thinking about transferring my save to 3DS, using a save editor to change my gender, and transferring back. Anyone know any reason why this won't work?

Totally missed this.

Insect Glaive, I would say, is the fast long range weapon you are looking for, with the white essence up, you would have movement speed on par with light weapons, if you play aerial style, your pole vault would send you flying further(at a lower angle) than usual, you can quickly keep up with any monster charging too far away. It is also a weapon emphasised on fast rapid attacks rather than slow heavy hits.

You will have to learn where to draw your essence, but in general, the part the monster uses to attack the most would be red(ie head), the part the monster uses to move would be white(ie wings and legs), and the harder part of the monster would be orange(ie body/back). There are certain monsters with green essence(healing), but I can't figure out the rules for its location.

Red increases attack power, as well as unlocking better attack animations. White increases movement speed. Orange increases defence. Combining them will grant additional bonuses such as super armour, earplugs, critical up, etc. Upgrading your insect will improve the buffs or even allow your essence to be party-wide, though they would only be getting a dumbed down version of the buffs: Red - attack up, white - critical up, orange - defence up, green - team heal.

For your other question. If I recall, you get to remake your character when you transfer your save, I can't remember if gender is an option though.

Agree on IG being what you are looking for. You move around very quickly with double buff up, attacks are very fast, faster than long sword. And the range is great. Only part that may take getting used to is gathering essences quickly. Also making a decent kinsect in the early game is pretty much impossible, making essences tedious to gather. If you try it out and hate it, be sure to revisit it later on when you can make better kinsects, it makes a huge difference.

PKrockin

DJgMDoPUMAAM8cM.jpg:large

The only good thing about Bulldrome right here.

Just got a whole lot of villager requests in G2 for new hunter arts. Gonna work on a few of these.

Psyfer

Amazing OT. Looking forward to digging into it soon, puppies permitting. Likely means i won't get a lot of online in any time soon but i should be able to tackle some single player stuff.

Pro-tip for people playing who can't read japanese - google translate app lets your take pictures of japanese text and it translates it for you - lifesaver on MH4 for me - should be even easier on switch since it's not 240p.

googletranslate-1.jpg

Good stuff, ty!

Literally how I played through MH Stories. See different colored text? Better take a pic and translate it real quick.

Does anyone remember how to unlock the quest "Triple Toady Terror" (the one with 3 hyper Tetsucabras)? Think I need that quest to unlock the R series armor :/

Does anyone actively transfer between the 3ds and switch versions and if so, how quick/functional is it to do? I find the switch kind of unwieldy and uncomfortable to use in the handheld mode, but I'm not sure whether constantly switching between the two versions is
viable.

I'm also planning to start whacking out some hub quests after I finish the village tomorrow ish if anyone wants to join, should just be a matter of speeding through the LR/HR keys asap... its my first MH since MH4 so I didn't wanna bring my rustiness online immediately and need to catch up now!

Lizardus

Does anyone actively transfer between the 3ds and switch versions and if so, how quick/functional is it to do? I find the switch kind of unwieldy and uncomfortable to use in the handheld mode, but I'm not sure whether constantly switching between the two versions is
viable.

I'm also planning to start whacking out some hub quests after I finish the village tomorrow ish if anyone wants to join, should just be a matter of speeding through the LR/HR keys asap... its my first MH since MH4 so I didn't wanna bring my rustiness online immediately and need to catch up now!

Transfer is pretty easy. You send your data to a server from 3DS/Switch and download it from the server to Switch/3DS. When you do it for the first time, your 3DS will generate a code which you have to put in your Switch. This is only needed for first time, as it links your 3DS and Switch. After that, it's just a matter of hitting send/receive to transfer your data back and forth.

The process of sending the data to server takes longer than expected so don't jump the gun (like I did).

Man, fuck G-rank Yian Kut-Ku. Damn speed and tail spins. 14% chance for carve/reward on an item all his stuff needs.

Been fighting him more than I care to now. Just one more webbing for the final armor piece. I need an entry g armor because I was only getting by due to having teammates, and soloing stuff was lol before I decided to just keep my Yian Kut-Ku set streak going.

Juraash

Man, fuck G-rank Yian Kut-Ku. Damn speed and tail spins. 14% chance for carve/reward on an item all his stuff needs.

Been fighting him more than I care to now. Just one more webbing for the final armor piece. I need an entry g armor because I was only getting by due to having teammates, and soloing stuff was lol before I decided to just keep my Yian Kut-Ku set streak going.

I'll endure some Kut Ku with you when I get home if ya want lol. I won't be on for 90 minutes or so, but I've been looking forward to the hunts all day.

I'll endure some Kut Ku with you when I get home if ya want lol. I won't be on for 90 minutes or so, but I've been looking forward to the hunts all day.
That won't be necessary, thankfully. I got the full set. We'll have to do one hyper Kut-Ku for hyper scales, though. I did it once solo and it was... Awful. 30 minutes, used all my healing, two carts, always afraid I'd die and have wasted my time (I was also sleep deprived). It was grueling, haha, but satisfying as hell when I capped it. I did manage to get the subquest near the end, too--it saved my ass.

Also, I need to beat the G4 boss so I can unlock all basic transmogging.

Juraash

That won't be necessary, thankfully. I got the full set. We'll have to do one hyper Kut-Ku for hyper scales, though. I did it once solo and it was... Awful. 30 minutes, used all my healing, two carts, always afraid I'd die and have wasted my time (I was also sleep deprived). It was grueling, haha, but satisfying as hell when I capped it. I did manage to get the subquest near the end, too--it saved my ass.

Also, I need to beat the G4 boss so I can unlock all basic transmogging.

Well PK and I did our urgents for 10, so we can....probably knock it out. Not sure if the req is higher than 10.

Well PK and I did our urgents for 10, so we can....probably knock it out. Not sure if the req is higher than 10.
Oh, I'm not actually at G4 yet :p. Was just saying I need to do that for fashion reasons, because the Yian Kut-Ku armors--while not terrible--leave a lot to be desired, in terms of looks. I actually only have one quest left until my G3 urgent, though!

Juraash

Oh, I'm not actually at G4 yet :p. Was just saying I need to do that for fashion reasons, because the Yian Kut-Ku armors--while not terrible--leave a lot to be desired, in terms of looks. I actually only have one quest left until my G3 urgent, though!

I'll need to do it as well. I'm pretty excited for the transmog thing actually. And I'm on MH now if we want to get a room going soon.

dadjumper

Totally missed this.

Insect Glaive, ...

For your other question. If I recall, you get to remake your character when you transfer your save, I can't remember if gender is an option though.

Thanks for this! I went with the long sword on another person's suggestion and I'm loving it. Building up and using meter is a really fun mechanic.
I'll have to try out the IG later, it seems a bit complex for me at the moment.

As for the save transfer thing, no you don't get to change gender when you transfer it. I did, however, manage to transfer my save to my homebrewed 3DS, dump the save, edit it and transfer it back with little issue. Really pleased with that but also not great that people can hack saves even on Switch. I thought about giving myself some event items but I wanna go legit so

Ggs guys and thanks for doing that lame ass coal quest with me haha. Got my 3 hyper Tetsu quest!

Also didn't they change requests in XX so anyone can initiate them then it's checked off for everyone?

Hybris

Hm getting an error message i think. Not sure what it says tho and the translate app isn't picking up the text. Restarting i guess.

Edit: Just saying "I cannot enter the meeting room". Restarting didn't help

Juraash

GGs all, was a pleasure playing with you as usual.

Looking forward to pushing further into G-Rank with you guys. I'll try and do some boring upgrade farming offline/solo so we can skip that stuff in turns :D

Dingens

the suffering is over! the mail man finally brought me my copy... but I probably won't be able to play much until next week (or the week after). but I try my best to at least reach high rank - there's probably no point in joining you online without at least half-decent gear, right?

Juraash

the suffering is over! the mail man finally brought me my copy... but I probably won't be able to play much until next week (or the week after). but I try my best to at least reach high rank - there's probably no point in joining you online without at least half-decent gear, right?

We've been doing plenty of boosting to people. I started running online with people here in LR Tetsu armor which I used basically until HR Seregios. I would say some offline is ideal beforehand, but catching up to where most of us are isn't crazy time consuming.

Dingens

ok... well I've got a 5 hour train ride ahead of me, so I think I should be ready by Saturday

damn... there's like what, 150 dlc quests?

edit: does anyone know a really good mhxx video which I could show my friend to make him wanna buy it?
Like some video of a really good hunt with some impressive monster? (doesn't need to be XX).
all the videos I came across so far haven't been that great or failed to convey how fun the gameplay is, especially in multiplayer

PKrockin

ok... well I've got a 5 hour train ride ahead of me, so I think I should be ready by Saturday

damn... there's like what, 150 dlc quests?

edit: does anyone know a really good mhxx video which I could show my friend to make him wanna buy it?
Like some video of a really good hunt with some impressive monster? (doesn't need to be XX).
all the videos I came across so far haven't been that great or failed to convey how fun the gameplay is, especially in multiplayer
I know some fun Generations videos with a party playing, but not XX sadly.

edit: Omegaevolution's channel has some videos, looks like.

nick_b

I only bought this a few days ago but with the Direct in an hour I'm still hoping for a localization. Take more of my money!

Juraash

I kind of like playing in Japanese to be honest. While there's some stuff I haven't delved to deep on because of the language barrier, so much is second nature from prior games that it's been pretty painless. Also it has inspired me to get serious about learning more Japanese, which is something I've very casually dabbled with for years.

That said...would probably still buy a localized version.

Foffy

Banned
Why did any of you guys assume they'd announce a localization just three months after E3? If it's coming, they'd likely announce it at a later date, otherwise considering the timeframe here, it would have been announced at E3.

Give it a year before you're assured it's not coming. If it even is coming, it'll likely be from NoA, not Capcom.

nick_b

I kind of like playing in Japanese to be honest. While there's some stuff I haven't delved to deep on because of the language barrier, so much is second nature from prior games that it's been pretty painless. Also it has inspired me to get serious about learning more Japanese, which is something I've very casually dabbled with for years.

That said...would probably still buy a localized version.

This is an accurate summation of myself as well. Got kana apps on my phone to dust myself off with. Still though. You know we still gonna buy World even if you give us this, Capcom. Monster hunters gonna hunt.

Juraash

I'm home and settled in for the normal g-rank/turn shenanigans. Gonna run a few quests offline while watching this thread.

Lizardus

I'm home and settled in for the normal g-rank/turn shenanigans. Gonna run a few quests offline while watching this thread.

I'll be up for it in a bit. Unfortunately, I have to work one more day so can't play longer than usual but I'll be free after that.

I know Hybris wanted to do his Lao urgent, not sure if he's around but I see him online on Switch.

Juraash

I'll be up for it in a bit. Unfortunately, I have to work one more day so can't play longer than usual but I'll be free after that.

I know Hybris wanted to do his Lao urgent, not sure if he's around but I see him online on Switch.

We did his Lao urgent just after you left last night. But mines up now, soooooo yay? Lol

And a couple hours is better than nothing :)

luulubuu

Is there any guide about controls? A bunch of friends wants to play but I feel like I'm doing anything worth and messing around, theres so much to control

Plus the game has a several problem of The Claw

Hybris

Felt like playing some solo tonight plus I had some other stuff going on so pausing frequently, tomorrow I'm down for more!

Top Bottom