• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

VVV Mars VG

Quick vid from today, it's in 4k but YT taking it's sweet time rendering it. :(

https://youtu.be/zqkmi-BMU2Y

Stock settings for my T300 weren't the best, but after a little tweaking it's not bad at all now.
It's certainly challenging for sure, some of the stages are REALLY narrow, cough too hard and you'll be in a wall/off a cliff ect.

Lighting is lovley tbh and looks pretty damm nice in 4k. :)

Good job, yep I've enjoyed it and I stand by my impressions of it so far.

Good job, yep I've enjoyed it and I stand by my impressions of it so far.

Have to tried the Chmielewo stage in Poland?

Boy, that one is intense.... fast, narrow and wakes you up faster than gargling a gallon of expresso.

Streaming right now and I bet I look like a rabbit caught up in headlights!

VVV Mars VG

Have to tried the Chmielewo stage in Poland?

Boy, that one is intense.... fast, narrow and wakes you up faster than gargling a gallon of expresso.

Streaming right now and I bet I look like a rabbit caught up in headlights!

Yeah, you have to focus on those calls, takes a lot of concentration but feels great when you get in the zone.

Holy smokes, F1 2017 is legit and it´s awesome.

Was an impulse buy for me, promotion and stuff, but it surprised me.

It really is a sim, definitely a step above GT/Forza like the guys at ISRTV said in the review

People should check this one out. Shame i only got a week to play before Pcars, but career mode is load of fun.

Branson

It really is a sim, definitely a step above GT/Forza like the guys at ISRTV said in the review

People should check this one out. Shame i only got a week to play before Pcars, but career mode is load of fun.

2016 got a lot of systems right that most sims outright skip or barely implement. Immersion can be pretty important for a sim and aside from a lack of VR support the F1 games are top shelf when it comes to that. Good to hear 2017 keeps that up.

TJP

For players such as me, I got sick of beta testing the F1 games for Codemasters upon release (from memory, F1 2013 had over 10 post-release patches before CM gave up and moved on). As such I gave up playing the F1 series and stuck with AC, R3E, AMS and rF2 for my F1 fix so it's good to read F1 2017 is much improved.

CaLe

Can you please share your T300 settings ? Thinking of picking up this game...

Great driving by the way :)

Thanks

Quick vid from today, it's in 4k but YT taking it's sweet time rendering it. :(

https://youtu.be/zqkmi-BMU2Y

Stock settings for my T300 weren't the best, but after a little tweaking it's not bad at all now.
It's certainly challenging for sure, some of the stages are REALLY narrow, cough too hard and you'll be in a wall/off a cliff ect.

Lighting is lovley tbh and looks pretty damm nice in 4k. :)

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
So I'm having fun with iRacing so far. The Mazda Cup is pretty great. I'm now D Class however I'm looking at the servers right now and I must say it's pretty damn empty. There's isnt much going on besides Skip Barber for D Class.

I really don't feel like spending more cash on this for now. I wish people were racing in the Global Challenge, Spec Racing Ford & Grand Touring Cup but there's isn't even a single racing going on and the schedule doesnt have a race for the next 2 hours.

Is this normal? Everything else beside Mazda Cup, Skip Barber, Porsche Cup, GT3 for track is completely empty.

I'd expect 8-10 drivers for a Spec Ford race. It doesn't have great participation.

MX5, Skip, Porsche, IMSA, Blancpain, Formula Renault is where I find most of the people, with 2-5 splits.

Can you please share your T300 settings ? Thinking of picking up this game...

Great driving by the way :)

Thanks

Cheers.

I'll drop the settings later on when I'm in from work.

Side note, Marco (AC Marco) is kindly letting me have some Ferrari dlc codes to give away on my stream this week. :)

TJP

Marco Massarutto

The Ferrari 70th Anniversary Celebration Pack for Assetto Corsa is OUR own car selection. It's the Kunos team's choice. We didn't had discussions about which models could have had pleased more our audience, the gamers, the simracers. We just discussed about which Ferrari models [we] wanted to drive in this pack. Then we opened the poll, letting people to vote for [their] favourite model, considering you, the community, like one of us.

And you know what? Reproducing the Ferrari cars that [we] wanted more than any other, pushed our team to work on the edge, keeping ourselves deeply involved, if possible, even more than usual. To me, personally, this screenshot tells better than my words what I've tried to express above, because this car, discovered almost 20 years ago thanks to Grand Prix Legends by Papyrus, is one of the reasons behind my decision to get involved in this business. I could say that if I wouldn't loved this car so much in that game, many years ago, Assetto Corsa might not exist at all, today. I hope you will enjoy these cars as much as we enjoyed in creating them.

Thank you Dave Kaemmer for creating such a gem like Grand Prix Legends.

Makikou

So I'm having fun with iRacing so far. The Mazda Cup is pretty great. I'm now D Class however I'm looking at the servers right now and I must say it's pretty damn empty. There's isnt much going on besides Skip Barber for D Class.

I really don't feel like spending more cash on this for now. I wish people were racing in the Global Challenge, Spec Racing Ford & Grand Touring Cup but there's isn't even a single racing going on and the schedule doesnt have a race for the next 2 hours.

Is this normal? Everything else beside Mazda Cup, Skip Barber, Porsche Cup, GT3 for track is completely empty.

http://iracer.info/

Actual participation values.

http://iracer.info/

Actual participation values.
2743 Mazda Cup
2475 Skip Barber
1627 Porsche Cup
1060 Blancpain Sprint
1041 IMSA
1022 Formula Renault
766 Production Car
731 RUF
725 Global Challenge
719 Grand Touring
657 Advanced Mazda
522 Spec Ford
379 Star Mazda
163 Blancpain Enduro
122 Indycar
113 V8 Supercars
86 Proto GT
85 Classic Lotus
85 Kamel
84 McLaren
78 Radical
35 Lotus 49
To think when I first subscribed to iRacing I almost purchased the Radical, Lotus 49 and Classic Lotus. That would've been a waste.

TJP

-BMW M6 GT3 won't happen; there are ongoing negotiations with BMW which Marco didn't explain in detail
- Laguna Seca is laserscanned and is expected for the end of the year
- While legal problems with LS were solved, track designer Simone Trevisiol was busy with other projects which Marco didn't explain further, so no clue if it's AC related.
- LS will be part of a Bonus Pack free of charge including cars like Maserati Quattroporte, Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, Alfa Romeo Stradale 33 and more
- Audi TT Roadcar mentioned in last New Years Blog won't happen because they decided on the Cup Version which was included in RTR Pack
- Kunos is currently in R&D phase (Research & Development) for the next project. Evaluating the options for a new graphics engine (in house or third party) and other stuff.
- Even if it will be a game located in space it will have Day/Night and rain
- There are no plans to bring Fiorano, neither as track nor as showroom

Two brain trusts come together:
37286241545_5ddeb2f27c_b.jpg

Makikou

To think when I first subscribed to iRacing I almost purchased the Radical, Lotus 49 and Classic Lotus. That would've been a waste.

Track selection means awful lot and I remember a time where Radical was much more popular (when there was less other stuff basically). Lotus 79 is still alive though but 49 is and always has been very quiet unless they run Nordschleife or something.

Mascot

-BMW M6 GT3 won't happen; there are ongoing negotiations with BMW which Marco didn't explain in detail
- Laguna Seca is laserscanned and is expected for the end of the year
- While legal problems with LS were solved, track designer Simone Trevisiol was busy with other projects which Marco didn't explain further, so no clue if it's AC related.
- LS will be part of a Bonus Pack free of charge including cars like Maserati Quattroporte, Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, Alfa Romeo Stradale 33 and more
- Audi TT Roadcar mentioned in last New Years Blog won't happen because they decided on the Cup Version which was included in RTR Pack
- Kunos is currently in R&D phase (Research & Development) for the next project. Evaluating the options for a new graphics engine (in house or third party) and other stuff.
- Even if it will be a game located in space it will have Day/Night and rain
- There are no plans to bring Fiorano, neither as track nor as showroom

Two brain trusts come together:
I hope LS has a winter version with lush greenery. I'm well beyond bored of the beige dustbowl version now.

TJP

New Ferrari 250 GTO (Ferrari Anniversary Pack)

New Ferrari (288) GTO (Ferrari Anniversary Pack)

New Ferrari 312 F1-67 (Ferrari Anniversary Pack)

New Ferrari 330 P4 (Ferrari Anniversary Pack)

New Ferrari F2004 (Ferrari Anniversary Pack)

New Ferrari 812 Superfast (Ferrari Anniversary Pack)

New Ferrari SF70H (Ferrari Anniversary Pack)

Templates for Ferrari 250 GTO, GTO, 312 F1-67, 330 P4 and 812 Superfast

Official Kaspersky team livery added for Ferrari 488 GT3

Updated template for Ferrari 488 GT3 (related to rear wing shape, it might affect a low % of mod skins)

Alpinestars gloves are introduced in Porsche cars

Fixed reflection issue on Corvette C7R skins

Minor graphical and skin-related fixes across all content

Updated Lotus 49 minimum weight

Updated Mazda RX-7 Spirit R rear wing setup and aero figures

Added automatic Force Feedback configuration for old wheels (ie MS Sidewinder)

MODDING REQUEST: Added blanket temperature to tyres.ini under [ADDITIONAL1] BLANKETS_TEMP

MODDING REQUEST: Added pressure vs temperature gain in tyres.ini. under [ADDITIONAL1] PRESSURE_TEMPERATURE_GAIN

MODDING REQUEST: Added camber spread tweak value in tyres.ini under [ADDITIONAL1] CAMBER_TEMP_SPREAD_K (AC default is 1.4, higher numbers=more spread)

MODDING REQUEST: Added new LUT based system to handle camber D variations. Example, (for every compound): DCAMBER_LUT=(|-145=0.8|-15=0.9|-3=1.01|0=1|3=1.005|15=0.9|145=0.8|) DCAMBER_LUT_SMOOTH=1 This will override DCAMBER_0/1 behavior (values still need to be there tho)

MODDING REQUEST: Added explicit inertia instead of box based. Use [EXPLICIT_INERTIA] INERTIA=1300,1400,500 in car.ini

Suspension travel is now recorded at 166Hz in telemetry

Fixed AI not exiting pitlane at full speed in some cases

Added "ABS" FF enhancement effect

Added FF enhancement effects controls ingame in the "Force Feedback Controller" app

Added track models ini checksum on server. In order to gain full protection from cheating the server needs to include kn5 files

Added optional COMBINED_FACTOR value per compound. Thanks to Stereo & Jackson Papageorge (mclarenf1papa)!

MODDING REQUEST: Added variable throttle response as function of RPM. Add: [THROTTLE_RESPONSE] RPM_REFERENCE=6000 LUT=throttle_max.lut to engine.ini. throttle.lut will be used for 0 RPM and whatever LUT you specify will be used at RPM_REFERENCE

MODDING REQUEST: Added progressive bump stop rate. In suspensions.ini under [FRONT] and [REAR] add BUMP_STOP_PROGRESSIVE . Look for "Using progressive bump rate..." in the log for confirmation

Nearly every series, no matter how unpopular, has a weekly planned race. Often times the core group has even paid for them to be broadcasted as well (GSRC, GripTV). If you can make that time slot (not easy for you and your location), they're definitely worth getting involved in. Either to supplement a primary series, or for people whom dedicating a hour for practice, and an hour for a race is plenty for the week anyway.

Nearly every series, no matter how unpopular, has a weekly planned race. Often times the core group has even paid for them to be broadcasted as well (GSRC, GripTV). If you can make that time slot (not easy for you and your location), they're definitely worth getting involved in. Either to supplement a primary series, or for people whom dedicating a hour for practice, and an hour for a race is plenty for the week anyway.
Sadly I only have two very specific windows for racing per week, so I very much have to stick with 'Pick up and play' series.

That being said, the good news is I now have two windows for iRacing! It used to be zero.

I've only tried 3 cars so far, but that Ferrari pack is super fun.

When I first found that Targa Florio track for AC, I tried it for a bit with the Audi Quattro S1 E2, fell through the geometry, it's really not a good port quality-wise, but the layout is fantastic, thought I'd save that for when the Ferrari 250 GTO was out.
Now that it's out, I tried that combination out. GODDAMN, after 40 minutes of driving that point to point track, I ran out of fuel and I put in extra fuel already, must have been 50 or 60 liters. Damn, that track is long and that car is thirsty, jeez. Absolutely awesome though.

vv thought the same. For AC, the F2004 sounds amazing and it's crazy fast.

Zeth

I usually dislike modern open-wheelers in AC, but the F2004 is really fun to drive. It's very "point and shoot". You can get going a put in *what feels like* a fast lap pretty quickly.

Momentary

Banned
I think I'll actually be skipping Forza 7. Good looking game, but even with realistic settings, it feels too safe. This is very prominent in the demo while driving under wet conditions.

Do they usually do a complete pack for Forza games later down the road? I might do that instead.

Edit: Doesn't seem like they did that for Horizon 3 and it's expansions.

Meh... I'll stick with PCARS 2 and Asset to Corsa for the foreseeable future

Mascot

I think I'll actually be skipping Forza 7. Good looking game, but even with realistic settings, it feels too safe. This is very prominent in the demo while driving under wet conditions.

Do they usually do a complete pack for Forza games later down the road? I might do that instead.

Edit: Doesn't seem like they did that for Horizon 3 and it's expansions.

Meh... I'll stick with PCARS 2 and Asset to Corsa for the foreseeable future

Yeah, FM's not for me. Not any more. AC and pCARS 2 should keep me happy until GTR3 comes along.

Yeah, FM's not for me. Not any more. AC and pCARS 2 should keep me happy until GTR3 comes along.
I have this weird feeling that GTR3 will be RaceRoom for consoles running on UE4 with all cars and tracks unlocked. Maybe it'll have weather and ToD though.
UE4 is coming to regular RaceRoom too though. (or did I dream that??)

Mascot

I have this weird feeling that GTR3 will be RaceRoom for consoles running on UE4 with all cars and tracks unlocked. Maybe it'll have weather and ToD though.

I must give R3E another go. I was enjoying it when I first got my PC, but the last time I played I got bashed to fuck by the AI as if they had no idea whatsoever that I was there, and I haven't played it since. And this was after buying a bunch of tracks and cars too. Bah.

TJP

Completely separate games. GTR3 will come to PC and console and development will act as a testbed for R3E physics and tyre models running on UE4 graphics. Less than 20% of R3E is ISI code.

RaceRoom has ToD and weather built into the current custom graphics engine however it will move to UE4 in time. R3E won't be coming to consoles anytime soon.

The CEO of SimBin UK is the brother of the COO of Sector 3.

TJP

I must give R3E another go. I was enjoying it when I first got my PC, but the last time I played I got bashed to fuck by the AI as if they had no idea whatsoever that I was there, and I haven't played it since. And this was after buying a bunch of tracks and cars too. Bah.
The AI works best at 95% and up.

The other option is to use adaptive AI; you need to run several single race and championship events so the game learns how fast you are and will adapt to your skill level. It is a great system that is poorly understood and documented.

Completely separate games. GTR3 will come to PC and console and development will act as a testbed for R3E physics and tyre models running on UE4 graphics. Less than 20% of R3E is ISI code.

RaceRoom has ToD and weather built into the current custom graphics engine however it will move to UE4 in time.

The CEO of SimBin UK is the brother of the COO of Sector 3.
well, I meant weather=rain and I didn't mean that GTR3 would be a renamed R3E that is console-only. I just meant, same feel and handling, same track models same cars plus ~20% new ones or so. But a LOT of RaceRoom in it. That's what my feeling still tells me.

Edit: I think adaptive AI works pretty well, the problem I still have is that if there is contact from behind or at the front, the result is usually somewhat catastrophic and almost always leads to a spin for me. Maybe I'm imagining that, but it lead to me almost never doing races and usually stick to hotlapping in R3E.

Watevaman

The other option is to use adaptive AI; you need to run several single race and championship events so the game learns how fast you are and will adapt to your skill level. It is a great system that is poorly understood and documented.

Hey, I asked in the thread before but didn't hear anything back so I'll ask you. Is there any update to when multiclass racing will be available in R3E SP? If you can't say, I understand. All my searches come up with "it's coming down the line" but those results are old.

TJP

Hey, I asked in the thread before but didn't hear anything back so I'll ask you. Is there any update to when multiclass racing will be available in R3E SP? If you can't say, I understand. All my searches come up with "it's coming down the line" but those results are old.
Multiclass racing is being tested along with many other additions and improvements (e.g. ranking system).

As is always the case, it'll be released when it's perfect so I don't know when that'll be.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
When I first found that Targa Florio track for AC, I tried it for a bit with the Audi Quattro S1 E2, fell through the geometry, it's really not a good port quality-wise, but the layout is fantastic, thought I'd save that for when the Ferrari 250 GTO was out.
Now that it's out, I tried that combination out. GODDAMN, after 40 minutes of driving that point to point track, I ran out of fuel and I put in extra fuel already, must have been 50 or 60 liters. Damn, that track is long and that car is thirsty, jeez. Absolutely awesome though.

Hi Tyler. Just a few questions.

1)So basically the AC version of Targa Florio is a shoddy, sub-par effort? I'm a big fan of the GPL version, but how does the AC version compare to it?

2)What do you mean by "fell through the geometry" ? Do you mean to say your car fell the beneath the track while driving? If so, does this happen often? Or only with that particular car/track combo?

3)Finally how does the AC version of Targa look in VR? Is it immersive?

Hi Tyler. Just a few questions.

1)So basically the AC version of Targa Florio is a shoddy, sub-par effort? I'm a big fan of the GPL version, but how does the AC version compare to it?

2)What do you mean by "fell through the geometry" ? Do you mean to say your car fell the beneath the track while driving? If so, does this happen often? Or only with that particular car/track combo?

3)Finally how does the AC version of Targa look in VR? Is it immersive?

You can't really call this an actual effort to bring this to AC, not really legal either probably.

Here, have a look for yourself:
https://youtu.be/ZVD_CqKPYhk

Mascot

Thanks, will try.

Watevaman

Spent a few hours playing AC last night for the first time since spring. I also installed the FFB clipping app and learned that my FFB was clipping way too much. Feels much lighter now but better overall. Had a lot of fun with the F2004.

kiyomi

The F2004 is a complete joy to drive, yeah. Definitely alongside the Formula Hybrid in terms of open wheel pleasure for me.

It's kinda funny though, try taking the F2004 round Monaco (there are a couple of mods around), you can't get through Loews hairpin, which is sad. The lock is limited to 180 from center. Bleh.

Momentary

Banned
I wonder how much is left in store for AC. If they decide to move on to a new project I hope they decide to carry over the existing vehicles as well while giving them a facelift with whatever engine they decide on. While their car list isn't as HUGE as more mainstream racers I enjoy their curation of vehicles the most out of any other racer out there. I would hate to see them not make the cut.

All I really want for the next game is for it to have a better presentation. Better UI, better menu system, and some menu music wouldn't hurt either.

TJP

I wonder how much is left in store for AC.
AC news from the Sim Racing Expo courtesy of a German R3E user

• BMW M6 GT3 won't happen; there are ongoing negotiations with BMW which Marco didn't explain in detail
  • Laguna Seca is laserscanned and is expected for the end of the year
  • While legal problems with LS were solved, track designer Simone Trevisiol was busy with other projects which Marco didn't explain further, so no clue if it's AC related.
  • LS will be part of a Bonus Pack free of charge including cars like Maserati Quattroporte, Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, Alfa Romeo Stradale 33 and more
  • Audi TT Roadcar mentioned in last New Years Blog won't happen because they decided on the Cup Version which was included in RTR Pack
  • Kunos is currently in R&D phase (Research & Development) for the next project. Evaluating the options for a new graphics engine (in house or third party) and other stuff.
  • Even if it will be a game located in space it will have Day/Night and rain
  • There are no plans to bring Fiorano, neither as track nor as showroom

Looking for some advice on what to buy between PC2 and FM7. Some brief history, I bought FM2 after playing the demo and it made fall into the "Sim" racing genre for the first time. At the time it was amazing since the 360 was my first time getting into online game. Fast forward many years and I bought PC1 at release and it actually got me to buy a racing wheel at the time. The career wasn't great but online was a blast. It's definitely felt more Sim than Forza. I eventually move on and sold my wheel and move to different genres of games (rpgs, shooters) but now I am looking to get back in.

I am not by an means amazingly skilled in the racing game genre, but would like to get back into the genre. I am looking for an amazing online experience and overall great feeling from the act of driving.

ValfarHL

Does any AC fans want to share their T300 settings?

The latest patch came with a bunch of cryptic settings, but it's not a must for me to fiddle with those.

I'm more interested in control panel, assetto_corsa.ini and ff_post_process.ini.

I think I find running with gyro=1 and gamma=1 best. LUT is then disabled.

I also find adding some slip in the game gives me better control when the car is about to or lose control.

I also add about 40 curb and 15 road. I know these are amplifiers, but I like feeling a little bit of road under me on straights.

Minimum force I have a 3-4.

PS: Yeaaah, I know I should find what is best for me, but I'm curious what other people use.

I also find adding some slip in the game gives me better control when the car is about to or lose control.

I also add about 40 curb and 15 road. I know these are amplifiers, but I like feeling a little bit of road under me on straights.

Minimum force I have a 3-4.
I find the idea of polluting my realfeel'ish FFB with artificial slipping-vibration outright offensive!! ...but I totally use it :p ...just a tiny little bit, like a fingertip on my shoulder "easy! smooth is fast. Pianist not lumberjack".

I use 40 for curbs and 50 for road. Zero smoothing (AC has some weird damping already, really doesn't need it, unlike rF2 for example).

Minimum Force I have on... 5? Really, only 5? Seems low for my puny TX wheel. I think Reiza recommended 20 or so (I have it on 12-14 in AMS, 8-10 in rF2 iirc). This setting used to sound like bullshit to me, but it really helps to feel sudden changes better if there is a constant force, also probably more realistic to have a stiffer center feel.

Dijital_Majik

Neo Member
Does any AC fans want to share their T300 settings?

Sure. Here are mine:

FFB settings with GYRO enabled:
IMPORTANT: go to :\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg and open the Assetto Corsa INI using Notepad.
Go to the [FF_EXPERIMENTAL] section and set ENABLE_ GYRO=1 and set DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.01 and save.

Should look like this:

[FF_EXPERIMENTAL]
ENABLE_GYRO=1
DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.01
DAMPER_GAIN=1.0

FF_post_process.ini
------------------------------------------------------
[HEADER]
VERSION=1
TYPE=LUT
ENABLED=0 (IMPORTANT!!)

[GAMMA]
VALUE=0.5

[LUT]
CURVE=crazy1.lut

----------------------------
In the Thrustmaster control panel:
Overall Strength: 100%
Constant: 100%
Periodic: 100%
Spring: 0%
Damper: 100%
Auto-center: By the game
--------------------
In game:
Gain: 80%
Filter: 0%
Min force: 6%
Kerb: 10%
Road: 20%
Slip: 20%
Understeer: UNCHECKED

n.b: My settings are based on Michael Hornbuckles' from this thread on the official forums: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/thrustmaster-wheels-official-thread.3296/page-77

The TM panel FFB value in the above thread is 10% lower than mine, and 3% less min force in-game, as I have the slightly larger alcantara rim and didn't get as much feel as I liked. Have a play and see what you like. Kerb/road/slip is also up from 0.

I also use FFB clip with the "maximal" setting as I like a heavier wheel. Michael Hornbuckle doesn't use FFB clip with his settings AFAIK. Your choice what to use.

Top Bottom